rugbyunion
Latest News:
New Page 1

Whatever your views on Saracens, whether a Sarries fan or not, leave them here.

To leave a message on this board you must register. To register click HERE, it takes only a minute.
Non-rugby posts are welcome, but please prefix your subject header with "OT" or "Off Topic".

Thought for the Day:
DOUBLE DOUBLE
PREMIERSHIP & EUROPEAN CHAMPIONS

Latest: EXETER CHIEFS 34:37 SARACENS
Next:
Audio: Click the link below. If it ain' there, it ain't on!
Upcoming TV:

BBC Online Rugby Union Commentaries

The Fish | Rugby Union News | Fez Boys | Saracens Fixtures | The SSA | Rugby on TV

England v Ireland team
1876-Fez (IP Logged)
31 January, 2019 12:16
England starting XV (485 caps)

15 Elliot Daly (Wasps, 25 caps), 14 Jonny May (Leicester Tigers, 40 caps), 13 Henry Slade (Exeter Chiefs, 17 caps), 12 Manu Tuiagi (Leicester Tigers, 27 caps), 11 Jack Nowell (Exeter Chiefs, 29 caps), 10 Owen Farrell (Saracens, 65 caps), 9 Ben Youngs (Leicester Tigers, 80 caps); 1 Mako Vunipola (Saracens, 51 caps), 2 Jamie George (Saracens, 32 caps), 3 Kyle Sinckler (Harlequins, 17 caps), 4 Maro Itoje (Saracens, 26 caps), 5 George Kruis (Saracens, 27 caps), 6 Mark Wilson (Newcastle Falcons, 8 caps), 7 Tom Curry (Sale Sharks, 5 caps), 8 Billy Vunipola (Saracens, 36 caps).

Finishers (206 caps)

16 Luke Cowan-Dickie (Exeter Chiefs, 7 caps), 17 Ellis Genge (Leicester Tigers, 5 caps), 18 Harry Williams (Exeter Chiefs, 15 caps), 19 Courtney Lawes (Northampton Saints, 68 caps), 20 Nathan Hughes (Wasps, 18 caps), 21 Dan Robson (Wasps, uncapped), 22 George Ford (Leicester Tigers, 51 caps), 23 Chris Ashton (Sale Sharks, 42 caps).

Congrats to Sarries boys...

SUPPORT Help for Heroes:
Help for Heroes

Re: England v Ireland team
boomer! (IP Logged)
31 January, 2019 12:27
I'm very pleased for a man recently of our parish who finds himself as a finisher.

Let's hope he gets on the scoresheet and can cock-a-snoop at all his detractors.

Just please don't splash. confused smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 31/01/2019 13:11 by boomer!.

daz_71 (IP Logged)
31 January, 2019 12:59
I'm not intending this to be an anti George Ford post but if he is not starting it seems a waste to have him on the bench. He's not versatile enough to cover multiple positions so lets say Slade got injured after 5 minutes the entire backline, and game plan, would need to be rejigged to bring Ford on at 10, Farell to move to 12 and Tuilagi to 13. In the modern game it doesn't seem sensible to have to change everything you have worked on because you have the wrong player on the bench.

I hope England can win, and I think the game will be closer than some expect but I can't see anything other than an Irish victory!

Wayoutwest (IP Logged)
31 January, 2019 13:28
The thought of any team with Slade and Ford on the pitch in midfield at the same time sends shivers down my spine. Especially against the physicality of the Irish. Lets hope it does not have to happen.

1876-Fez (IP Logged)
31 January, 2019 13:54
Irish.

15. Robbie Henshaw (Buccaneers/Leinster)
14. Keith Earls (Young Munster/Munster)
13. Garry Ringrose (UCD/Leinster)
12. Bundee Aki (Galwegians/Connacht)
11. Jacob Stockdale (Ballynahinch/Ulster)
10. Jonathan Sexton (St. Mary’s College/Leinster)
9. Conor Murray (Garryowen/Munster)

1. Cian Healy (Clontarf/Leinster)
2. Rory Best (Banbridge/Ulster) 112 (c)
3. Tadhg Furlong (Clontarf/Leinster)
4. Devin Toner (Lansdowne/Leinster)
5. James Ryan (UCD/Leinster)
6. Peter O’Mahony (Cork Constitution/Munster)
7.Josh van der Flier (UCD/Leinster)
8. CJ Stander (Shannon/Munster)

Replacements
16. Sean Cronin (St. Mary’s College/Leinster)
17. David Kilcoyne(UL Bohemians/Munster)
18. Andrew Porter (UCD/Leinster)
19. Quinn Roux(Connacht)
20. Sean O’Brien (UCD/Leinster)
21. John Cooney (Ulster)
22. Joey Carbery (Clontarf/Munster)
23. Jordan Larmour (St. Mary’s College/Leinster)

SUPPORT Help for Heroes:
Help for Heroes

Man from LA (IP Logged)
31 January, 2019 13:55
Spot on from Peter Stringer (98-cap international ex team-mate of Farrell).

[www.france24.com]

TOKS (IP Logged)
31 January, 2019 13:59
No great surprise as a washed up old pro comes up with a sensationalist story in a desperate attempt to keep himself noticed and relevant.

TonyTaff (IP Logged)
31 January, 2019 14:30
Stringer last played alongside Farrell 7 seasons ago!

£721.05 (*) donated to the Saracens Foundation due to visits to the Sarries frontpage [www.rugbynetwork.net]

Please read and submit articles for publication. (*) As at October 31, 2018.

1876-Fez (IP Logged)
31 January, 2019 14:35
But he's right about one thing they "will" try to niggle Faz in every way they can and I'm sure England will try to do the same to Sexton... part of the game...
Faz needs to keep his cool...

SUPPORT Help for Heroes:
Help for Heroes

daz_71 (IP Logged)
31 January, 2019 14:37
Most of what Stringer says is cliched rubbish that he's picked up from a tabloid rugby reporter. However some of it is true - Farrell does have a fiery temperament that I don't always think sits well if you are the captain.

I think some of the more senior players need to help Farrell out a bit - the issue is do we have too many players more senior than Owen?

Graeme D (IP Logged)
31 January, 2019 14:52
The packs have a very Leinster v Saracens match up.

Ricardo121 (IP Logged)
31 January, 2019 15:07
Quick question (go easy on me, it's probably obvious)

With regards to the Irish team - to what does the first team name mentioned refer?

e.g. 'Buccaneers' for Robbie Henshaw. Was that his youth team/school team?

thanks

Surbiton Sarries (IP Logged)
31 January, 2019 15:30
Quote:
Ricardo121
Quick question (go easy on me, it's probably obvious)
With regards to the Irish team - to what does the first team name mentioned refer?

e.g. 'Buccaneers' for Robbie Henshaw. Was that his youth team/school team?

thanks

Club name see the attached re Buccaneers

linky thingy

Cill Dara (IP Logged)
31 January, 2019 15:35
Within the Irish Provincial system, you are associated with a club side to qualify to play for the Province; therefore each player is registered with a club.

Prisco stirpe Hibernico

Sara'sman (IP Logged)
31 January, 2019 15:38
Quote:
Graeme D
The packs have a very Leinster v Saracens match up.

Squads (starters):
Sarries    6 (6)  Leinster  12 (8)
Leicester  5 (3)  Munster    6 (4)
Exeter     4 (2)  Ulster     3 (2)
Wasps      3 (1)  Connacht   2 (1)
Sale       2 (1)
Quins      1 (1)
Newcastle  1 (1)
Saints     1 (0)

With POM and Toner in the opposition we'll need Wilson to provide a decent 3rd option in lineouts, though my greatest wish is to get our six back fit enough for Europe.

We play Leicester (H), Gloucester (A), Saints (H) and Bath (A) during the SNs though the two Home games are the rest weekends.

Barnetsarrie12 (IP Logged)
31 January, 2019 15:56
I really like Wilson at 6. With the number of breakdowns that Ireland have in games they play, you need to have a 6 who is really good at the breakdown, along with your 7. The teams that have run Ireland and Leinster close recently, Australia in the summer, Argentina in the autumn and Bath all have had 2 players very good at the breakdown.

The Bath vs Leinster first game is what England will be looking to replicate, as Bath frustrated Leinster at the breakdown that day

AP (IP Logged)
31 January, 2019 16:42
Cill Dara,

Should your strap line read prisco stirpe hibernico or is there a joke in it?

Or has the curse of autocorrect struck?

Successful hills are here to stay
Everything must be this way
Gentle streets where people play
Welcome to the Soft Parade

TonyTaff (IP Logged)
31 January, 2019 16:56
Quote:
Cill Dara
Within the Irish Provincial system, you are associated with a club side to qualify to play for the Province; therefore each player is registered with a club.

Though Roux and Cooney seem to be exceptions.

I don't imagine that the top flight players turn out for their clubs very much, they are only part time at their Provinces!

Furthermore, Carberry has left Leinster for Munster, but is still associated with Clontarf, which is in Dublin!

£721.05 (*) donated to the Saracens Foundation due to visits to the Sarries frontpage [www.rugbynetwork.net]

Please read and submit articles for publication. (*) As at October 31, 2018.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2019 08:14 by TonyTaff.

Cill Dara (IP Logged)
31 January, 2019 18:41
Thanks you AP and you are right, bleedin' auto'.

TonyTaff, I assume this would be relic from the IRFU decision that Carberry should leave Leinster and go to Munster.

NB:
Quinn Roux (Galwegians/Connacht)
John Cooney (Terenure College/Ulster)

Prisco stirpe Hibernico

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 31/01/2019 18:55 by Cill Dara.

Surbiton Sarries (IP Logged)
01 February, 2019 11:47
Seven Sarries in the Women's team against Ireland tonight (Sky, 5pm kick off)

Sarah McKenna starts at full-back, Hannah Botterman at loosehead prop, Poppy Cleall at lock and Marlie Packer at flanker. Fly half Zoe Harrison is among the replacements alongside Bryony Cleall and Rosie Galligan.

boomer! (IP Logged)
01 February, 2019 13:07
Quote:
Man from LA
Spot on from Peter Stringer (98-cap international ex team-mate of Farrell).
[www.france24.com]

Agreed. BUT. Stringer is not telling us anything we don't already know.

The Bard (IP Logged)
02 February, 2019 17:39
Excellent first half from England, especially given that we are getting nothing from the ref. How bent do lineouts have to be?

Sarriebone (IP Logged)
02 February, 2019 17:44
Debatable yellow card, yes it was late but arms were clearly involved. Their try was held up. Can clearly see a hand under the ball. And Mako's try should have stood, still pushing with his feet, not his knees as the ref seemed to think

vunipolae (IP Logged)
02 February, 2019 17:45
Superb first half from England, but will be a bit disappointed only to carry a 7 point lead into the second half. Unlucky with some 50:50 calls as well and one call which wasn't 50:50 with mako clearly holding the ball up for Ireland's try

The Bard (IP Logged)
02 February, 2019 18:57
Absolutely outstanding from England, really can’t recall a better performance since 2003. Thought it had gone when we lost Maro minutes after Kruis was taken off. Everyone was excellent, Young’s, Nowell, Daly and Slade well above realistic expectations. Just hope Maro OST seriously crocked

london pride (IP Logged)
02 February, 2019 18:59
Well, I did not see that coming, a bonus point win for England. Hope Maro is OK, he looked a bit sorry for himself, limping off.

1876-Fez (IP Logged)
02 February, 2019 19:14
Liam last night Maro today....hmmm

On the plus side a great England performance...

SUPPORT Help for Heroes:
Help for Heroes

Jehovas Sandals (IP Logged)
02 February, 2019 19:35
Quote:
Wayoutwest
The thought of any team with Slade and Ford on the pitch in midfield at the same time sends shivers down my spine. Especially against the physicality of the Irish. Lets hope it does not have to happen.

I'm assuming you may have changed your opinion regarding Slade?

maynas (IP Logged)
02 February, 2019 19:48
Great England performance, carried on the intensity shown agains New Zealand. Japan beckons wish I could go....still going next Sunday, hope France in the 2nd half shows up!

AlanE (IP Logged)
02 February, 2019 19:56
I haven't been convinced by Slade in the past (not least against us in big games). But I did thunk he played well today. If we can keep Manu fit, could he and Slade be the answer to the perennial midfield question?

I was 17 miles from Graybridge before I was caught by the school leopard

Sarriebone (IP Logged)
02 February, 2019 20:04
Seen talk that Maro could be out for the rest of the tournament... bit of a @#$%& if true

1876-Fez (IP Logged)
02 February, 2019 21:47
Quote:
Sarriebone
Seen talk that Maro could be out for the rest of the tournament... bit of a @#$%& if true

Being reported as medial ligament injury...not good..

SUPPORT Help for Heroes:
Help for Heroes

GazzaFez (IP Logged)
02 February, 2019 21:52
Quote:
Sarriebone

If medial ligaments he'll be out for 3 or 4 months. If ACL then 9 months. Let's just hope and pray it's neither.

Excellent performance by England. I assume some of the Farrell detractors will wish to moderate their tone after that; he did a fantastic job of leading the team today.

Likewise Daly wasn't too shabby either!

The intensity was there and so was the handling. Defence was top notch too. If it was my choice, MOTM would have gone to Johnny May, I thought he was outstanding.

Agree with comments above re. referee. We got nothing out of him. I don't think Curry's yellow card was even a penalty let alone a yellow. Crucially he didn't go to the TMO to check; had he done so I think a different verdict would have been delivered. Likewise the Irish first try looked for all the world to have been held up but again no TMO. Unlike Mako's non-try where he did go to the TMO and then it sounded like a mis-communication between him and the ref. It sounded like he thought it was a try. I said in the earlier thread about which rules you would like to ditch....get rid of the double-movement law! It contributes nothing to the game; either you got the ball over the line or you didn't. It is always a highly subjective decision and I just fail to see the point of it.

Preventing Ireland getting the LBP was icing on the cake; just a shame we let them in with that final try.

1876-Fez (IP Logged)
03 February, 2019 12:57
How NZ saw it... pathetic reporting

[www.nzherald.co.nz]

SUPPORT Help for Heroes:
Help for Heroes

1876-Fez (IP Logged)
03 February, 2019 13:00
Joe Schmidt ... class as usual..

[m.independent.ie]

SUPPORT Help for Heroes:
Help for Heroes

Bolly-Quin (IP Logged)
03 February, 2019 14:43
Your 5 starters made massive contributions to that great win. Congratulations!

thumbs downthumbs downthumbs downthumbs downthumbs down

Harrow Sarrie (IP Logged)
03 February, 2019 14:50
Er, unless I’ve missed a cheeky mid season signing we had 6 starters.
Mako Vunipola
Jamie George
Maro Itoje
George Kruis
Billy Vunipola
Owen Farrel

Harrow Sarrie (IP Logged)
03 February, 2019 15:17
Quote:
1876-Fez
How NZ saw it... pathetic reporting
[www.nzherald.co.nz]

Not everyone in NZ thought that way though. From the same publication:
Quote:
Chris Rattue NZ Herald
Huh? Just about everyone suddenly loves the England rugby team. Seriously.

This is a very odd day in the history of New Zealand sport.

Okay, love might be too strong a word. But they are extremely impressed. As a colleague just said to me: "It's like the world turned upside down."

People are walking around saying things like: "Did you see England? Jeeeeeeeez. Scary.".

A bloke just walked past me going: "We've lost the World Cup."

Message to England rugby — your victory over Ireland has been met with stunned admiration in this part of the world.
Link

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2019 15:18 by Harrow Sarrie.

Houghton Saint (IP Logged)
03 February, 2019 18:46
Much as I have defended our Dylan over the years, I think thats about it now with Jamie and Luke C-D ahead in the pecking order for Japan. I suspect Dyls will still be part of the set-up until the World Cup is over but then he can have a season or two in the Prem before getting back to the farm !

Hope Itoje is not too bad

The Bard (IP Logged)
03 February, 2019 18:50
Does anyone know if George Kruis was injured or was it tactical? He was going pretty well I thought, although in fairness Lawes looked really good when he came on.

1876-Fez (IP Logged)
03 February, 2019 19:27
Made me laugh!!

SUPPORT Help for Heroes:
Help for Heroes

#wolfpack (IP Logged)
04 February, 2019 08:45
Quote:
The Bard
Does anyone know if George Kruis was injured or was it tactical? He was going pretty well I thought, although in fairness Lawes looked really good when he came on.

Tactical I think. Lawes coming on at 50 just ramps up defensive intensity another level for the last half an hour.

Concerned about Maro.

nedrichards (IP Logged)
04 February, 2019 10:29
I saw a stat that Kruis hit 31 attacking rucks in his 50-odd minutes. At that point he probably deserves a bit of a lie down.

Barnetsarrie12 (IP Logged)
04 February, 2019 11:14
Quote:
Sarriebone

Just came out that he is out for 8 weeks. Feel sad for him, but injury could be a blessing in disguise as he will be fresh for the end of season run.

Primavesi2 (IP Logged)
04 February, 2019 13:56
Watched the game for a second time this morning (sober).

Eddie Jones has had a lot of criticism on here despite a good overall record (winning 2 six nations etc) but I think he deserves a lot of credit for this win in which he clearly won the tactical battle against Joe Schmidt. For all the talk about his training camps, our conditioning was very impressive and I thought we looked considerably fitter than Ireland in the closing stages (Mako playing 75 minutes at an incredible intensity for example).

The pleasing thing was how well the midfield played worked - Manu was only solid but his mere presence opened up space for other players and defensively the whole team was excellent.

Obviously this is just one win (although there were also encouraging signs of improvement in the autumn) and we are still a long way from being where we need to be at the world cup but I do think we are going int he right direction. It will be interesting to see how we cope without Maro who I thought was excellent again until he had to go off. That game in Cardiff is looking very tasty already.

vunipolae (IP Logged)
04 February, 2019 17:22
Does 8 weeks include the 30th march? If so definitely not a blessing in disguise. If we lose to Glasgow we'll have 2 free weekends to keep players fresh for the run in anyway

myleftboot (IP Logged)
04 February, 2019 17:30
Our lock cupboard isn't a bare as some of the others, fortunately

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net