rugbyunion
Latest News:
New Page 1

Whatever your views on Saracens, whether a Sarries fan or not, leave them here.

To leave a message on this board you must register. To register click HERE, it takes only a minute.
Non-rugby posts are welcome, but please prefix your subject header with "OT" or "Off Topic".

Thought for the Day:
BOYS ON TOP!

Latest: SARACENS 33:10 LEICESTER TIGERS
Next: GLOUCESTER RUGBY v SARACENS 22nd Feb, Kingsholm 19.45 ,
Audio: Click the link below. If it ain' there, it ain't on!
Upcoming TV: Gloucester Rugby v Saracens GP 19.00 Fri 22nd Feb BT Sport 1

BBC Online Rugby Union Commentaries

The Fish | Rugby Union News | Fez Boys | Saracens Fixtures | The SSA | Rugby on TV

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Semi @ Wuss
darktagnan (IP Logged)
03 February, 2019 17:06
Friday night so impossible to get to for most away supporters. Was sorta hoping to go but this completely scuppers it. Thanks BT.

Re: Semi @ Wuss
london pride (IP Logged)
03 February, 2019 17:09
I wouldn't think Worcester are to happy about it either having played today.

McSaracens (IP Logged)
03 February, 2019 17:23
Hopefully the youngsters can go down to Sixways and win, they’ve played outstandingly well throughout the competition so far. Not entirely sure how we are away from home though when we have played 4, won 3 and drawn 1 vs Worcester who have won 3, lost 1.....

Looking at the lineups today, I see Worcester really entering into the spirit of the competition with the young 10, Duncan Wier at 10 to compliment their first choice XV.

“I believe it might have been said before, but there is something special happening at Saracens, and I want to be part of it.” - Nils Mordt

McSaracens (IP Logged)
03 February, 2019 17:39
With the players away on international duty and injuries in the squad I would suspect we will see a team something like:

Gallagher
Segun
Lozowski
Morris
Crossdale
Mallins
Whiteley
Barrington
Wolfenscroft
Koch - Titi away and Figallo injured
Kpoku
Day
Isiekwe
Earl
Vailanu

Bench

Tolofua
Adams-Hale
?
Skelton
Reffell
Taylor
Bosch
Lewington

“I believe it might have been said before, but there is something special happening at Saracens, and I want to be part of it.” - Nils Mordt

london pride (IP Logged)
03 February, 2019 18:05
I wonder if having not played since last week, and because the next Premiership game is just under 2 weeks away, a few more players that are due to play against Leicester make the trip down to Sixways.

myleftboot (IP Logged)
03 February, 2019 19:24
Wouldn't be surprised if Nick replaced Maro for England

LutonS (IP Logged)
03 February, 2019 19:41
Amazing how we can go unbeaten, defeat Worcester and still finish second. Hey-ho

Graeme D (IP Logged)
03 February, 2019 19:53
Joel Kpoku with England u20s unless released.

TeflonTed (IP Logged)
04 February, 2019 08:51
Quote:
McSaracens
Looking at the lineups today, I see Worcester really entering into the spirit of the competition with the young 10, Duncan Wier at 10 to compliment their first choice XV.

Well...
Firstly, we (Wuss) basically don’t have the luxury of the squad depth of others,
Secondly, Wasps sent essentially their 1st XV, you choose to not mention that,
Thirdly, it’s Weir.

Other than that, pretty accurate post.

04 February, 2019 11:39
Quote:
TeflonTed
Quote:
McSaracens

Secondly, Wasps sent essentially their 1st XV, you choose to not mention that,
Other than that, pretty accurate post.

With the minor exceptions of Kieren Brooks, Elliot Daley, Nathan Hughes, Joe Launchbury, Willie Le Roux, Michael Le Borgoise, Dan Robson, Will Rowlands, Brad Shields & Jack Willis?

Groucho (IP Logged)
04 February, 2019 12:14
and Worcester were missing:
Adams, Arr, Fatialofa, Beck, Du Preez, Hill, Lance, Lawrence, Olivier, Potgieter & Shillcock. So both Wasps & Worcester were less than full strength...

Uttoxsarie (IP Logged)
04 February, 2019 13:44
Only the main stand at Worcester is being opened on Friday. All seats are £10, good value. Just booked 2 in the centre of the stand, parking £7.50.(Sm128)

McSaracens (IP Logged)
04 February, 2019 13:46
Groucho my point stands that surely Worcester should be using the competition to develop their young talent? I saw very little of that in the team selected.

Groucho (IP Logged)
04 February, 2019 14:07
Fair point but the squad is a lot smaller than Sarries, there simply isnt the luxury to rest players. We tended to use Europe this season as the development side but, as explained, it's still mostly a premier league squad. Until the premiership do something about the salary cap (& how to avoid it) this will continue to be the case.

Hope you enjoy Sixways on friday evening - not a great choice by BT (4 day turnaround).

Garym (IP Logged)
04 February, 2019 15:26
Quote:
McSaracens
Groucho my point stands that surely Worcester should be using the competition to develop their young talent? I saw very little of that in the team selected.

Well 3 were on duty with England U 20’s and both David and butler are from last yrs U20s. I guess we just matched wasps who had their “young” development players from NZ and SA playing.

TonyTaff (IP Logged)
04 February, 2019 16:03
Quote:
Groucho
Fair point but the squad is a lot smaller than Sarries, there simply isnt the luxury to rest players. We tended to use Europe this season as the development side but, as explained, it's still mostly a premier league squad. Until the premiership do something about the salary cap (& how to avoid it) this will continue to be the case.
Hope you enjoy Sixways on friday evening - not a great choice by BT (4 day turnaround).

I can't fault BT for scheduling the match to avoid the 6N days. I do criticise the decision not to schedule all the fourth games simultaneously.

Had the match been played on the previous weekend, Wuss would not have enjoyed the luxury of knowing what they needed to do, but, had they been successful, they would have enjoyed a decent rest.

£721.05 (*) donated to the Saracens Foundation due to visits to the Sarries frontpage [www.rugbynetwork.net]

Please read and submit articles for publication. (*) As at October 31, 2018.

alas (IP Logged)
04 February, 2019 16:39
Quote:
Groucho

When do you expect BT to schedule the semis? They are not going to clash with the Six Nations and giving Worcester the second semi would have left the Falcons with an even shorter turnaround given they have two lots of travel to fit in as well.

McSaracens (IP Logged)
04 February, 2019 19:21
Telflon, would you not prefer that your DoR bloods youngsters in the competition? What on earth do you learn about the depth of your squad playing your starting halfbacks, alongside pretty much your first XV, even using the reserve team would help improve your squad. It seems a circular arguement to say you don’t have a big squad, but then play virtually your first team in the development cup!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2019 19:29 by McSaracens.

neiljk (IP Logged)
04 February, 2019 20:50
Are you lot Steve Diamond in disguise?

Each club picks it side based on it’s priorities and goals. Here in Worcester we don’t have the luxury of massive squad depth so we’ve mixed it up a bit across the Euro and cup matches. That approach has got us a home semi and a home quarter. We went to Stade with a very development XV and came away with the points. We fielded a weaker side away at yours in the cup earlier in the season, but still topped the group.

I say hats off to the coaches for managing all 3 competitions. Bring who you like Friday, we don’t mind.

TeflonTed (IP Logged)
04 February, 2019 22:49
What he said.

darktagnan (IP Logged)
04 February, 2019 23:37
if we'd be drawn at home it wouldn't have been a Friday night game no matter who said what at BT Sport due to terms of playing at AZP. So at some point Wuss have agreed to this. Match could have been played on Sunday at say 1pm at either venue.

w4rriorz1980 (IP Logged)
05 February, 2019 00:58
Quote:
TeflonTed
What he said.
+3

Eats,Shoots And Leaves

Wayoutwest (IP Logged)
05 February, 2019 09:31
I have every confidence in the growing stature of the team in this competition. They will push what ever side Worcester put out. It really does not matter...

Barty II (IP Logged)
05 February, 2019 10:38
Some of my fellow Sarries fans need to breathe for a minute. Worcester aren't breaking any rules by not fielding their academy and fringe players. If we put out some of our first team players for a run out to get match fit for the next few games are you going to be whinging about that?

Really winds me up when our opposition fans spout about us being arrogant, entitled, self absorbed etc - stop giving them reasons to think they're right.

I don't know enough of the detail but Worcester looked like a club that were possibly on the brink of some serious trouble. Delighted that they've got some fresh investment (linked to a Sarries old boy) and provided they're run right there could be some good times ahead. Personally wouldn't grudge them some cup success at all.

We use the cup to blood the youth - that's our approach, doesn't mean everyone has to follow suit.

Sara'sman (IP Logged)
05 February, 2019 12:08
Well written Barty.

hopkirk (IP Logged)
05 February, 2019 13:16
Hey guys calm down, whatever team Wuss decide to put out they are developing. Developing the winning mentality for one, and for them to play against the side we are able to put out will be a test for their limited ( in numbers) squad. More importantly if correct reporting we will have an opportunity to view Jamie’s understudy next season in that fine development hooker, who incidentally was developed in our academy.

Brummagem Bertie (IP Logged)
05 February, 2019 14:13
For those who are travelling up, the Park and Ride sites at County Hall and Blackpole will be operating, as will the buses from the City Centre to the ground, for any who might be staying over.

The bus timetable is here. (Opens as a pdf file.)

NB The footnote at the bottom of the timetable says the timings are for a 7.30 kick off and will be adjusted for an earlier or later kick off. I think you need to add 15 minutes to the timings, therefore, because kick off on Friday is 7.45.

Whatever you do, do it safely!

Brummagem Bertie (IP Logged)
05 February, 2019 14:36
Quote:
McSaracens
... even using the reserve team would help improve your squad. It seems a circular arguement to say you don’t have a big squad, but then play virtually your first team in the development cup!!

Reserve team players like Tom Howe, Ryan Bower, Perry Humphries, Farai Mudariki, Zac Xiourouppa are also out injured. We had others, like Simon Kerrod (tighthead prop), who played the full 80 in both the Euro Challenge Cup games.

Add those to the other injuries already mentioned and the lads away with England and we had about half of our squad of 49 unavailable for selection.

Whatever you do, do it safely!

JO'G (IP Logged)
06 February, 2019 13:32
pretty sure that the sides chosen by both teams will be total squad

- minus - those away at the 6 Nations
- minus - those injured
- minus - those away with the U20s
- minus - those already away at a bit of rest before the 5 Premiership games back to back

leaving probably less than half each squad and probably tricky to even fill the matchday 23

Surbiton Sarries (IP Logged)
07 February, 2019 11:40
Referee: Christophe Ridley
Assistant referees: Anthony Woodthorpe, Wayne Falla
Television match official: Trevor Fisher
Timekeeper: Malcolm Sinclair
Assessor: Chris White
Assistant referees’ coach: Peter Huckle

SarrieSaint (IP Logged)
07 February, 2019 12:12
Saracens team to face Worcester Warriors at Sixways on Friday 8th February (KO 19H45):

FORWARDS: Richard Barrington (155), Tom Woolstencroft (12), Vincent Koch (53), Dom Day (25), Nick Isiekwe (49), Calum Clark (30), Sean Reffell (6), Ben Earl (30).

BACKS: Matt Gallagher (25), Ali Crossdale (6), Alex Lozowski (77), Dom Morris (9), Rotimi Segun (8), Max Malins (21), Tom Whiteley (22).

REPLACEMENTS: Christopher Tolofua (29), Ralph Adams-Hale (4), Billy Walker (7), Will Skelton (46), Sione Vailanu (8), Henry Taylor (12), Manu Vunipola (1), Tom Griffiths (3).

Really happy with that team. Some experience in the XV and a bit more on the bench but that's a team very much in the spirit of the competition and also shows how bright things are going forward with the depth of young talent.

As always I'll be looking forward to the performances of Vailanu and the continuation of Griffiths return to play but am also looking forward to seeing all the others perform. Special mention to Lozo too. Hope he has a very good game and reminds the coaches how good he is at 13.

COYS.

Barty II (IP Logged)
07 February, 2019 12:31
Almost in double figures for number of players in the 23 who regularly feature in the first team squad. We should be ashamed of ourselves.

(Sm161)

nicsue (IP Logged)
07 February, 2019 12:49
I wonder if Schalk Burger will be travelling with the team?

1876-Fez (IP Logged)
07 February, 2019 12:53
Warriors
15 Nick David
14 Tom Howe
13 Wynand Olivier (C)
12 Will Butler
11 Dean Hammond
10 Scott van Breda
9 Jonny Arr
1 Ethan Waller
2 Niall Annett
3 Gareth Milasinovich
4 Darren Barry
5 Pierce Phillips
6 Matti Williams
7 Carl Kirwan
8 Matt Cox

Replacements
16 Isaac Miller
17 Callum Black
18 Simon Kerrod
19 Anton Bresler
20 Tom Dodd
21 Michael Heaney
22 Duncan Weir
23 Alex Hearle

SUPPORT Help for Heroes:
Help for Heroes

SarrieSaint (IP Logged)
07 February, 2019 13:08
Eh?? That's slightly odd. Wuss have gone hard all competition and unless I am mistaken they have now picked a weaker squad? I don't get it.

Big T 15 (IP Logged)
07 February, 2019 13:17
SarrieSaint - Worcester fan in peace here - it's because Alan Solomon's does what's best for Worcester and his squad on a game by game basis.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2019 13:18 by Big T 15.

SarrieSaint (IP Logged)
07 February, 2019 13:32
Thanks for the reply Big T 15. That makes absolute sense.

From the teams I have seen so far I thought Wuss were really going for this competition. Tbf though I don't know your squad well enough to judge its strength beyond the "names" that I do know don't seem to be there but I'm sure Solomons knows what's best.

Good luck regardless and to Wuss for the rest of the season.

Brighty_Fez (IP Logged)
07 February, 2019 13:34
maybe worcester are looking at it as a chance to rest the key players they need over then 5 weeks of premiership rugby. winning this game or cup wont keep them in the league so priorities have to be picked

Garym (IP Logged)
07 February, 2019 13:37
Quote:
Brighty_Fez
maybe worcester are looking at it as a chance to rest the key players they need over then 5 weeks of premiership rugby. winning this game or cup wont keep them in the league so priorities have to be picked

You have it in one. Last week was seen as the training run for the First XV while this week is about not picking up injuries for front line players. Hpeopfluu a good game regardless.

SarrieSaint (IP Logged)
07 February, 2019 13:48
Quote:
Garym
Hpeopfluu a good game regardless.

Is he your new Fijian signing? (Sm128)

Seany_Boy0511 (IP Logged)
07 February, 2019 13:54
This will be an excellent test for both sides, enjoy the game those who can make it and may the best team win

Sara'sman (IP Logged)
07 February, 2019 13:56
SS - can you explain what "the spirit of the competition" means? A genuine question since many posters across these boards use similar phrases.

It seems to me that the AW and now the PC have been designed to meet a wide variety of sometimes conflicting needs including:
* to provide game time to "squad" players
* to give rest weeks to those who need it
* to give game time to some returning from injury
* to keep First XXIII players match fit
* to give all clubs match day income during international periods in a competition less intense than the Premiership
* to give all clubs, including the "less fashionable", an opportunity to win silverware
* to provide an opportunity/pathway for younger players.
It is not just an Academy competition.

Some of the above are mutually exclussive but it seems to me that it is for each club to do what is in its best interest; there is no "right" way. We're incredibly fortunate to have a strong Academy with many players itching for senior game opportunities (and needing them if we are to keep them), to have many Internationals absent, and still to be involved in Europe. Our youngsters can cope, our seniors benefit from rest and some of our squad/injured players get a run out. Had we been out of Europe, with a weaker/smaller Academy, fewer absent Internationals, then last week would have been an ideal opportunity for us to keep the main players match fit and I would have expected us to have picked a much more senior side.

Our selection suits us and has played a significant part in the growth of many younger players. I don't understand why people complain when sides with other needs/restrictions see other priorities and use the competition appropriately.

SarrieSaint (IP Logged)
07 February, 2019 14:03
I don't think it's defined anywhere SM and I'd appreciate that it's my view of the competition but for me the Premiership cup is a bit like the LV. I basically view it as a competition for the younger players, maybe 23 players returning to fitness and a smattering of more experienced ones to provide some leadership.

All of those things you put in your list are equally valid as are the Wuss supporters comments that they're basically using the competition as an opportunity to give their XV some time to jell.

If say Sarries were to put out their strongest 23 (minus unavailable players) because they got to the final I wouldn't regard that as within the spirit of the competition as it is the Premiership Cup not the GP and it wouldn't be rewarding the largely youth team that got to that stage assuming they do.

Just my view. Doesn't make it right.

07 February, 2019 14:27
When we won the final a couple of years back we did maintain faith with the team who got us there. I recall Alex Goode was brought in and Kelly Brown played. A young Maro Itoje, Scott Spurling, Will Fraser and Hayden Smith were there and also recall Catlin Fercu and Ben Ransom. I'm getting all this from pictures on my phone. Point being, those that played the pool stages and Semi were there when we beat Exeter at FG and were we to triumph on Friday night i'd expect to see most of that team in the final.

SarrieSaint (IP Logged)
07 February, 2019 15:40
+1 Viewfromthechair

GazzaFez (IP Logged)
07 February, 2019 16:23
Quote:
Viewfromthearmchair
When we won the final a couple of years back

It will be four years in March unbelievably.

We actually had a pretty strong squad that day. In addition to the above we had Barrington, Kruis, Figallo, Bosch, Joubert and Strettle in the 23. It was a last minute decision by me to go along and it was a great day out. I remember Ben's kick to seal the victory and the Sarries fans going wild. Maro (captain) was quite happy too!

I used to get quite vexed about teams 'not keeping with the spirit of the competition' and posted about it several times. If and until there are rules introduced, which I doubt, clubs will use the competition to suit their own individual needs at the time so now I reluctantly just go with the flow. We have been known to put out teams ourselves which would raise the odd eyebrow or two. I do however, continue to believe that it does undermine the value of the competition and that is reflected in attendances and lack of TV coverage. It would be easy to introduce eligibility criteria for players but I suspect the clubs would probably resist, probably including Saracens.

I congratulate Wuss for their stance in selling dirt cheap tickets for tomorrow's match. A great move in the circumstance of such a short turnaround with very little chance to market the game. Bums on seats to spread the word is always important.

myleftboot (IP Logged)
07 February, 2019 17:30
The agony of all those semi and final defeats we suffered before we started winning seem to show there is a knack, a habit to winning titles. If a club like Wuss want to use this cup to do so, good luck to them.
It does however show how important our academy is to the health of our first team. Wasps and Wuss both broke that vital supply line in recent history, so struggle to fulfil fixtures at times like during the six nations

Eternal optimist (IP Logged)
07 February, 2019 19:11
Quote:
myleftboot
Wasps and Wuss both broke that vital supply line in recent history, so struggle to fulfil fixtures at times like during the six nations

Included in our current problems are four players in the England U20 squad playing this weekend.
We still have a good dollop playing tomorrow that have come through our academy (Sm100)

TVM Rides Again (IP Logged)
08 February, 2019 11:37
Quote:
Eternal optimist
Quote:
myleftboot
Wasps and Wuss both broke that vital supply line in recent history, so struggle to fulfil fixtures at times like during the six nations

Included in our current problems are four players in the England U20 squad playing this weekend.
We still have a good dollop playing tomorrow that have come through our academy (Sm100)

Quite - struggling to fulfill fixtures would be stretching it a bit!

But the point is valid - the academy is only just getting back to where it should be after some neglect.

maynas (IP Logged)
08 February, 2019 12:06
Anyone know where the final will be played, the Premiership Rugby Cup website is rather quiet on the issue? In the past like our final 4 years ago it was a neutral ground but not sure this year

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net