rugbyunion
Latest News:
New Page 1

Whatever your views on Saracens, whether a Sarries fan or not, leave them here.

To leave a message on this board you must register. To register click HERE, it takes only a minute.
Non-rugby posts are welcome, but please prefix your subject header with "OT" or "Off Topic".

Thought for the Day:
DOUBLE DOUBLE
PREMIERSHIP & EUROPEAN CHAMPIONS

Latest: EXETER CHIEFS 34:37 SARACENS
Next:
Audio: Click the link below. If it ain' there, it ain't on!
Upcoming TV:

BBC Online Rugby Union Commentaries

The Fish | Rugby Union News | Fez Boys | Saracens Fixtures | The SSA | Rugby on TV

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Re: Semi @ Wuss
fleetg (IP Logged)
09 February, 2019 19:00
Politicians answer ... was that a yes or a no ?

Dave Berko (IP Logged)
09 February, 2019 19:46
Depends who's asking!!!

maynas (IP Logged)
09 February, 2019 20:09
Good venue for this comp, was there last time we won.....singing when the Sarries go marching in. Good game. Hope tickets easy to get for this one too

fleetg (IP Logged)
09 February, 2019 20:20
Nice one Dave !!
Look forward to welcoming you lot to the Gardens in March after my better half and I have our annual trip to
AP.
Do us a favour in the league beforehand and beat a few of the teams around us if you would be so kind !!
I do think we'll be back challenging at the top in the next couple of years : it's been way too long.

ninjafez (IP Logged)
11 February, 2019 10:12
Quote:
fleetg
How's Calum doing and do you all like him now ?

I think you are confusing us with a fanbase further up the M1....

besides we have always given a player trust after falling from grace, ask Matt Stevens...

Ninjafez - supporting Sarries and cleaning their signs since 2006!

MarchingIn (IP Logged)
11 February, 2019 13:13
Some of you say "typical Saints" playing our "first 15"... against a Falcons side featuring such development players as Verenicki Goneva, Sinoti Sinoti, and Logo Munipola.

Saints fielded eleven players aged 20-24 whilst resting Fraser Dingwall (19) who has been playing a lot recently, and being without Ollie Sleightholme (18) who would probably have featured if not away with England U20s.

Yet, it is only the noble Sarries, whose squad featured 6 from last year's premiership final winning 23 plus Calum Clark who played in 2 consecutive finals for us, that enter into the true spirit of the competition and honestly aren't just chasing the half a million quid on offer to the winner.

I look forward to Saints fielding a squad loaded with experience to smash the academy side noble Saracens will send up the M1 for the final, and promise to sympathetically concur with all the sanctimonious comments on here about the spirit of the contest, when it happens.

myleftboot (IP Logged)
11 February, 2019 13:38
And if it doesn't, we'll sing your favourite song nice and loud?

MarchingIn (IP Logged)
11 February, 2019 13:59
Quote:
myleftboot

You think Saracens are going to pick a strong side, and win then?

If I was McCall I would be tempted to send a young side. Throwing a young squad into the cauldron that Franklin's Gardens is likely to be for a cup final would give those players hugely valuable experience win or lose, whilst sending the best side to what will be a bruising game will only gain Saracens a better chance of a trophy they aren't all that bothered about.

However, I do think you'll send the best side available. The only way I think Boyd won't pick a strong side is if we have a serious run of injuries and aren't safe from relegation.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/02/2019 14:01 by MarchingIn.

Waldo (IP Logged)
11 February, 2019 14:09
Quote:
MarchingIn
Quote:
myleftboot

You think Saracens are going to pick a strong side, and win then?

If I was McCall I would be tempted to send a young side. .

I don't think McCall will decide which team to put out - that will be Adam Powell and Kelly Brown.

If I'm honest it will probably be primarily the "younger players / academy " players and down to who is available from the "senior Side" In this competition (in it's many guises) we have always struck a decent balance of development and senior guidance on the pitch.

MarchingIn (IP Logged)
11 February, 2019 14:31
Quote:
Waldo
we have always struck a decent balance of development and senior guidance

Largely the same as Saints. The griping on here about the squads used for the semis is just the usual suspects slagging Saints off, rather than indicative of any wildly different approach between the two clubs IMO. If either club was treating it as purely a development opportunity for the senior academy then we probably wouldn't be playing each other in the final.

I suspect both sides will load the bench whoever they start for the final.

Waldo (IP Logged)
11 February, 2019 14:56
I think it will be a decent game. Looking forward to it.

Sara'sman (IP Logged)
11 February, 2019 15:23
Quote:
Marchingin
Yet, it is only the noble Sarries, whose squad featured 6 from last year's premiership final winning 23 plus Calum Clark who played in 2 consecutive finals for us, that enter into the true spirit of the competition and honestly aren't just chasing the half a million quid on offer to the winner.

Marchingin - I tend to agree with your posts on the topic of selection as my earlier comments have stated. For information we started only (1) - Koch (Figallo injured, Lamositele with USA, Judge returned to sender, Sasagi injured, Walker returning from injury) from the First XV, started only (3) - Barrington (Thompson-Stringer injured), Lozowski and Isiekwe (Kpoku with u20) from the First XXIII with (2) - Tolofua (Spurling injured) and Skelton (no other lock available) from the First XXIII benched. It works well for us to give younger/squad players experience but I see no reason why others should be obliged to follow suit.

I do have a question for you re selection. We've both got 4 Premiership games before the Sunday final. You then play away at Tigers on the following Friday. Do you think you will start (or bench) (m)any First XV players?

Winning the final will provide an extra 20k (30k v 10k) + VAT on top of the 90k + VAT that we've already gained, so no great incentive even for the impoverished incompetent council funded Saints. (Sm100) [my attempt at humour in response to a comment on your board, especially since we're doing something similar wrt funding our new west stand.]

SarrieSaint (IP Logged)
11 February, 2019 15:26
It'll be relatively easy to judge the strength of the teams fielded this past weekend when we see the teams selected for Sarries v Leicester Tigers and Northampton v Sale.

Both teams will still be largely affected by the same International absences and injuries so it will be interesting to see how close the squads are to the ones fielded for the Premiership Cup semi-final.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/02/2019 19:39 by SarrieSaint.

MarchingIn (IP Logged)
11 February, 2019 19:01
Quote:
Sara'sman
I do have a question for you re selection. We've both got 4 Premiership games before the Sunday final. You then play away at Tigers on the following Friday. Do you think you will start (or bench) (m)any First XV players?

One of the interesting things with Saints at the moment is that beyond Hartley, Lawes, Biggar, Francis, Reinach & Harrison it's pretty hard to say who is a clear 1st choice.

We are playing each other at Allianz Park on March 2nd - a straight comparison of the squads utilised for that and in the final on the 17th will say a lot about the relative importance of each to both teams.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net