rugbyunion
Latest News:
New Page 1

Whatever your views on Saracens, whether a Sarries fan or not, leave them here.

To leave a message on this board you must register. To register click HERE, it takes only a minute.
Non-rugby posts are welcome, but please prefix your subject header with "OT" or "Off Topic".

Thought for the Day:
BOYS ON TOP!

Latest: SARACENS 33:10 LEICESTER TIGERS
Next: GLOUCESTER RUGBY v SARACENS 22nd Feb, Kingsholm 19.45 ,
Audio: Click the link below. If it ain' there, it ain't on!
Upcoming TV: Gloucester Rugby v Saracens GP 19.00 Fri 22nd Feb BT Sport 1

BBC Online Rugby Union Commentaries

The Fish | Rugby Union News | Fez Boys | Saracens Fixtures | The SSA | Rugby on TV

Daly is coming to Saracens. Confirmed.
GazzaFez (IP Logged)
05 February, 2019 19:04
News just released.

Re: Daly is coming to Saracens. Confirmed.
GazzaFez (IP Logged)
05 February, 2019 19:05
Up on the Fish now as well.

<< Elliot Daly to join Saracens >>

MyCupRunnethOver (IP Logged)
05 February, 2019 19:15
Still not sure I understand the thinking given the current squad but he is one hell of a rugby player and will be a great asset. Welcome ED

Sarriebone (IP Logged)
05 February, 2019 19:18
As above, a great player (though his Wasps form has been a bit poo recently) but struggle to see where he fits in. I'm sure the team know what they're doing so we'll wait and see

Jim 55 (IP Logged)
05 February, 2019 19:23
I think he waited until Saturday to show us what we’ll be able to see, hopefully on
a regular basis... and yes he is one hell of a rugby player!!

BACK TO BLACK (IP Logged)
05 February, 2019 19:33
Well he'll no doubt be delighted that the debate on his impending arrival (or not) amassed some 38,974 views. That's over 5 per Saracens fan (Sm22)(Sm22)
Welcome to Saracens Elliot Daly, you'll look good in Black, without the yellow bits

AB (IP Logged)
05 February, 2019 19:35
Fantastic news and he will only become better under pour tutelage. He is only 26 so will be a great asset.

We need to have a strong squad and he will be absolutely brilliant. For England in future say Saracens!
I personally extend him a very warm welcome and hopefully lots more trophies.

Sara'sman (IP Logged)
05 February, 2019 20:23
"Versatile Daly to join in the summer" is the headline with "The versatile back, who can operate at centre, wing or full-back, will arrive at Allianz Park from Wasps and has penned a deal until the summer of 2022" in the article. Perhaps this addresses some of the concern re the overlap with Goode/Williams/Gallagher at 15. It may also go some way to explain the latter's renewal for 1 year only (same timing as Williams) to enable opportunities/ability to be assessed by all parties.

Might we see him primarily on the wing, then at 13, with the option of 15 should we wish to play Goode at Fly Half (which I think we will increasingly)?

With Strettle and Bosh likely to retire, Duncan's situation worrying, an excellent signing in my view. Welcome Eliot.

AlanE (IP Logged)
05 February, 2019 20:28
Quote:
AB
Fantastic news and he will only become better under pour tutelage.

Hope that was supposed to be 'our' not 'poor', AB. I think our tutelage is excellent.
At least you didn't say 'under our tutor ledge' as the 'fish used to say, which just made me think of Fairport Convention.

I was 17 miles from Graybridge before I was caught by the school leopard

SarrieSaint (IP Logged)
05 February, 2019 20:33
Well it will certainly be interesting to see where he fits in and hopefully his arrival won't mean Sarries lose Lozo or Tompkins.

Not sure why you think we're going to see more of Goode at 10 Sara'sman aren't we expecting Malins to step up over the next seasons as Lozo doesn't seem to be looked on as back-up anymore?

Sara'sman (IP Logged)
05 February, 2019 20:54
SS - with the attrition rates in the centres and Brad likely to need greater rotation, both Tompkins and Lozowski will get plenty of game time. Many on here have been singing Malins' praises over the past two seasons but the coaches' selections when Faz has been absent for important games this year, and watching him when he starts, have reinforced my opinion that he is far from ready to step up.

In some ways Daly is a replica of Chris Wyles who arrived as a Full Back, played as a wing and proved excellent cover at centre. His versatility proved invaluable on many occasions whether on the bench or shifting seamlessly from his starting position and Daly will replicate that.

Fezzes Are Cool (IP Logged)
05 February, 2019 21:10
On this weeks rugby pod, they have suggested that McCall has promised Daly he will play 13 (which apprently is his favoured position)

AB (IP Logged)
05 February, 2019 22:49
Quote:
AlanE
Quote:
AB
Fantastic news and he will only become better under pour tutelage.

Hope that was supposed to be 'our' not 'poor', AB. I think our tutelage is excellent.
At least you didn't say 'under our tutor ledge' as the 'fish used to say, which just made me think of Fairport Convention.
'
silly me meant our - old age didn't notice typo

T_S_E (IP Logged)
05 February, 2019 23:30
Obviously Daly will definitely add a lot of quality to the squad but can't see how he would fit in easily without forcing others to move on.

If seen as a back 3 alongside Goide and Williams it would leave Strettle, Maitland and Lewington as nonstarters and give even fewer chances for the likes of Gallagher, Segun and Crossdale.

If he is seen as a 13 then either Loz or Tompkins will be 3rd choice, unless Loz reverts to being Farrell's back up giving very few chances to Malins especially if Goode continues to do good work at 10 in the absense of Farrell.

It seems inevitable that it will cause at least a couple of those mentioned and maybe others to move on. Will be interesting to see who they are!

GazzaFez (IP Logged)
06 February, 2019 01:44
Quote:
T_S_E
It seems inevitable that it will cause at least a couple of those mentioned and maybe others to move on. Will be interesting to see who they are!

I don't see why that should be so at all. The numbers just don't stack up. We have two players retiring at the end of the season in Strettle and Cello. Duncan Taylor quite possibly joining them. Those three players when fit would always start ahead of the junior squad players mentioned above. In Daly we have ONE player coming in who can cover all three of those players. So if anything it would open up the chances for the juniors and not decrease them.

It's a squad game and our team has done very well by our rotation policy. Rest assured that it will continue. Everyone will get there chances. You can bet your bottom dollar that this decision has been made by MMcC in consultation with his senior players like Brad, Faz and Jamie G and they will be sure he will be an asset to the team.

I for one can't wait to see him play for the MIB and like many others who have trod the path he now follows, I am sure he will flourish at Saracens.

Welcome Elliott Daly!

T_S_E (IP Logged)
06 February, 2019 05:48
Yeah it's definitely hard to argue that he won't flourish in this team! Think we could see him go to the next level over the next few seasons. And his boot is the perfect replacement for Cello as well..

As most reports seem to suggest 13 will be his main position, still a bit unsure about where this leaves Loz and Tompkins.. seems incredible depth in the 13 shirt and can't imagine one of them will be happy not making the 23 for the big games. Obviously depends hugely on injuries as well but potentially could see Loz getting some more time at 10, but that seems unlikely as well given his limited time there recently.

I'm sure MMcC will have everything thought through though! Everything he's seem to have done recently seems to have worked out ok!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/02/2019 05:52 by T_S_E.

vunipolae (IP Logged)
06 February, 2019 07:21
I think we'll see Daly nominally as a 13 but spending quite a bit of time on the wing as well. Lozowski has played quite a bit of 12 this season (with less success than 13) but maybe the coaches see something there and view him as Brad's backup and long term replacement. If this is the case the move for Daly makes much more sense as we'd have Brad backed up by Loz and Daly backed up by Tompkins.

I have nentioned that he isn't how I'd have chosen to spend our cap space. However eiher way he's a fantastic addition and will make our best 23 better which will help come knockout rugby time. I truly believe this will be an excellent signing because Mark McCall approved it and he knows a lot more about Saracens and rugby than I do. If nothing else Saracens will be an even more exciting team to watch next season with Daly added

Flanker (IP Logged)
06 February, 2019 07:55
In following all the various ED threads and comments, a point that has not been made, I think, is that this has possibly been an instance of forward planning on Saracens' behalf. It might seem difficult to work out why we need a player like ED right now, however the thinking of our very capable management, (based on what they know is likely to happen re. player movement not just at the end of this season but also next and maybe beyond), might be that we will need a player like ED in the short term future. If that is the case, the unanticipated availability of ED now might have meant moving a year earlier than had been originally planned.

MM and his team do not have a history of too many bad decisions. I prefer to give them masses of benefit of the doubt and see this as a very good thing for the club.

Welcome Elliot.

#wolfpack (IP Logged)
06 February, 2019 09:03
I think its a cracking signing.
He won't be around all the time obviously, but he will add value to our gun team for the playoffs and ECC games. We always have injuries so will be able to slot in anywhere as well.
Looking forward to watching him play.

Just on a side note we now have 7 starting Lions (plus Billy who would have started had he been fit). Ridiculous.

1876-Fez (IP Logged)
08 February, 2019 06:50
Wasn't really needed at Saracens according to Strettle!!
[www.standard.co.uk]

SUPPORT Help for Heroes:
Help for Heroes

Sarriebone (IP Logged)
08 February, 2019 12:03
Quote:
1876-Fez
Wasn't really needed at Saracens according to Strettle!!
[www.standard.co.uk]

That's not going to do anything to stop the comments... "ooo look at Sarries, splashing the cash on players they don't need" etc...

Seany_Boy0511 (IP Logged)
10 February, 2019 05:52
Strettle is simply speaking the truth he's not NEEDED, but.he certainly will be very USEFUL for Sarries, and as he also said he wouldn't pass on signing Daly,

He's a tremendous asset and will be excellent at Sarries, he will thrive and his International experience will be great for our future stars

TonyTaff (IP Logged)
21 February, 2019 07:55
Once all this season-end retirements are announced, this signing won't seem so supernumerary.

£721.05 (*) donated to the Saracens Foundation due to visits to the Sarries frontpage [www.rugbynetwork.net]

Please read and submit articles for publication. (*) As at October 31, 2018.

myleftboot (IP Logged)
21 February, 2019 10:48
[www.coventrytelegraph.net]

Whilst Wasps aren't yet able to build training facilities, they are able to buy a car park and build a hotel. Makes more and more sense, if the rumoured break clause is correct

21 February, 2019 11:33
I'm still a little unsure where he will fit in, not that he won't. A few years back we had a very useful center most of you will remember, Ben Johnston. He was recognized, all be it briefly, at international level and i always thought he had pace, power and decent ball handling skills. Then we signed Farrel Snr and Ben was apparently surplus to requirements. I've genuinely no idea why he decided to leave for France but i couldn't help feeling, and still do, that his exit was rather hastened by Mr. Farrel's arrival. I know the team has moved on greatly since those days but i'd hate to see the likes of Nick Tompkins, Tom Griffiths & Dom Morris not being able to progress. Just a personal thought.

Barty II (IP Logged)
21 February, 2019 12:53
Unless there are players leaving that we're not aware of yet, its likely that the assumption is we'll spend the 2019/20 season trying to fit 15 first team backs into 10 spots in the team. There'll be rotation & management of workload, but everyone will be in the same boat presumably.

After that, a couple of retirements (Barritt, Wigglesworth, Strettle if still here) and departures (Williams perhaps?) and no need to hunt around for major signings with the post-academy guys having another year of experience in the main squad.

Someone somewhere is surely bound to get impatient and want to go, but on the whole I'd say it looks good as a long-ish term plan.

Guesswork, guesswork and more guesswork, but that's what makes it more fun.

TonyTaff (IP Logged)
21 February, 2019 14:21
Cello, Stretts and, perhaps, Dunc, don't have much career left.

Day's arrival WILL facilitate rotation - an essential part of our master plan to perpetually maintain our hold on both the Premiership and the Champions Cup!

£721.05 (*) donated to the Saracens Foundation due to visits to the Sarries frontpage [www.rugbynetwork.net]

Please read and submit articles for publication. (*) As at October 31, 2018.

SarrieSaint (IP Logged)
21 February, 2019 16:25
Since reading what Strettle wrote I am slightly less negative than I was.

There are young players like Morris and Crossdale coming through the Academy into the Premiership side so there will be a good balance of youth an experience.

My main hope is that Daly is prepared to work very hard to earn his place. His aerial and kick-chase game isn't up to Sarries Academy players let alone first team and if he is truly to be a utility player then he needs to come up to scratch in that department.

myleftboot (IP Logged)
21 February, 2019 16:35
[www.rugbypass.com]

Similar answer from Goodey

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net