rugbyunion
Latest News:
New Page 1

Whatever your views on Saracens, whether a Sarries fan or not, leave them here.

To leave a message on this board you must register. To register click HERE, it takes only a minute.
Non-rugby posts are welcome, but please prefix your subject header with "OT" or "Off Topic".

Thought for the Day:
NEWCASTLE HERE WE COME!!!!!!

Latest: SARACENS 32:16 MUNSTER
Next: WASPS v SARACENS
Sat 27th April, 16.30 Ricoh,
Audio: Click the link below. If it ain' there, it ain't on!
Upcoming TV: Wasps v Saracens Sat 27th April 16.15 BT Sport2

BBC Online Rugby Union Commentaries

The Fish | Rugby Union News | Fez Boys | Saracens Fixtures | The SSA | Rugby on TV

England game
sarricen (IP Logged)
16 March, 2019 19:08
Won’t forget that game anytime soon!

We just don’t have that killer instinct, and when things start to fall apart there’s a complete lack of leadership. Farrell tries to take it all on himself and ends up doing what happened in the second half and falls to pieces. Probably his worst ever half of professional rugby but at the same time not all blame on him. No leadership at all in the forwards and Youngs just goes to sh** if things aren’t 100% as he wants them to be

Re: England game
Sarriebone (IP Logged)
16 March, 2019 19:17
Quote:
sarricen
Won’t forget that game anytime soon!
We just don’t have that killer instinct, and when things start to fall apart there’s a complete lack of leadership. Farrell tries to take it all on himself and ends up doing what happened in the second half and falls to pieces. Probably his worst ever half of professional rugby but at the same time not all blame on him. No leadership at all in the forwards and Youngs just goes to sh** if things aren’t 100% as he wants them to be

Does Youngs have cocoa at half time? He seems to slow down massively in the second half, happened against Wales as well.

Or did someone tell them that Wales had won in the changing room at half time?

trummy200 (IP Logged)
16 March, 2019 19:29
Question - should Farrell be England's flyhalf, who, it could be argued was lucky to stay on the park, or should Eddie accept that the most natural English flyhalf Cips be bought into the fray?

1876-Fez (IP Logged)
16 March, 2019 19:44
Quote:
trummy200
Question - should Farrell be England's flyhalf, who, it could be argued was lucky to stay on the park, or should Eddie accept that the most natural English flyhalf Cips be bought into the fray?

Really!! I for 1 think that Cips should be in the squad somewhere but to come on here and try to say that Cips is ahead of a Lions, European, England and Premiership winning 10 is just a little like trolling...

SUPPORT Help for Heroes:
Help for Heroes

The Bard (IP Logged)
16 March, 2019 20:06
We just got too far ahead and completely switched off. Thought May was outstanding, Jamie and George Kruis solid throughout. Curry pretty good too, but the rest were utterly abysmal in the second half. The defence of the backs was shocking.
Good news from a Sarries perspective was that Maitland looked very good, although I suspect Glasgow will now arrive with some wind in their sails and a song in their hearts after that!
It will probably convince a lot more of them to make the journey south again!

londondoc (IP Logged)
16 March, 2019 20:14
Never been to a match like that! As a Scots Sarrie was pleased but worried when Ben S cane on. Owen should have had 10 minutes on naughty step. But overall what an advert for rugby!!

bigfecker (IP Logged)
16 March, 2019 20:33
I do hope you were watching Daly's defense at 15.

SarrieSaint (IP Logged)
16 March, 2019 20:52
So the England Internationals will need a big hug on their return and Williams and to a lesser extent Maitland will be insufferable! (but in a good way)

I'm just glad the International Circus is over and, touch wood, no other Sarries players have been injured.

Well done to Spencer for getting some time on the field. Well done George Kruis for being a hard-working rockstar all tournament.

We'll just have to settle with sending Glasgow home tae think again ... (some chickens may have been counted in the posting of that comment)

trummy200 (IP Logged)
16 March, 2019 21:03
Quote:
1876-Fez
Quote:
trummy200

Really!! I for 1 think that Cips should be in the squad somewhere but to come on here and try to say that Cips is ahead of a Lions, European, England and Premiership winning 10 is just a little like trolling...

Never been accused of trolling before , try reading the posts on the BBC website - there is a hell of a lot of comments that appear to endorse my post. Farrell is good when not pressurised and is a good penalty taker, but how he keeps getting away with his no arm blocks defeats me, and two of Scotlands trys came down to his mistakes

maynas (IP Logged)
16 March, 2019 21:15
@nd half was the worst England performance I can remember back to the 1970s. Clueless. No hope of a World Cup this year.
THey seem to pack up after half time every week thinking they have done enough. Defence coach needs sacking!!

andysaint (IP Logged)
16 March, 2019 21:22
Thought Eddie’s use of substitutes was questionable, Farrell and Youngs IMO should have been replaced earlier. But there were problems all over in the second half. Lack of support, missed tackles, weak collisions, slow ponderous forwards, game management, leadership. It’s a shame really as I think it took the shine of a good tournament for England. Sure Wales won the grand slam but they fed of others mistakes and were frankly bang average at times. England were the most enterprising, attacking and inventive team in the tournament.

Jim 55 (IP Logged)
16 March, 2019 21:32
In Brads absence Faz has been skipper and in reality we are never happy until Brads return. Is Faz a skipper, he leads by example no issue with that but does he understand the game and the styles of play, where we need to change the game plan?
I would suggest he is not a natural skipper.

1876-Fez (IP Logged)
16 March, 2019 21:37
Quote:
trummy200
Quote:
1876-Fez
Quote:
trummy200

Never been accused of trolling before , try reading the posts on the BBC website - there is a hell of a lot of comments that appear to endorse my post. Farrell is good when not pressurised and is a good penalty taker, but how he keeps getting away with his no arm blocks defeats me, and two of Scotlands trys came down to his mistakes

Never read that... most of them don't know one end of a rugby ball from another. Yes I agree Faz had a poor 45-50 mins today but your bit about Cips is what I take exception to, if you honestly think he's ahead of Faz... Ford maybe!!

SUPPORT Help for Heroes:
Help for Heroes

SarrieSaint (IP Logged)
16 March, 2019 21:48
It took Jones three seasons to realise and acknowledge that beasting players in England campo was pointless if they were already running on empty because of the demands of the season. It seems it's taken him almost 4 seasons to work out that you can't expect the same forwards to play almost 70 minutes of every International and see a drop in intensity.

There were a number of issues today including the quality of the opposition but Jones poor selection and use of the bench was a major one just as it was against Wales. He seems to learn slowly when he does at all.

Eric Browett (IP Logged)
16 March, 2019 21:56
The BBC rugby threads post match are NEVER worth reading. Mostly petty insults and ignorant s**t stirring.

AP (IP Logged)
16 March, 2019 22:19
I really think that Owen is England's 10 but not the captain. Who should it be? Jamie George? Who are the slated starters with leadership ability?

Successful hills are here to stay
Everything must be this way
Gentle streets where people play
Welcome to the Soft Parade

JL904 (IP Logged)
17 March, 2019 01:05
Quote:
AP
I really think that Owen is England's 10 but not the captain. Who should it be? Jamie George? Who are the slated starters with leadership ability?

AP, I don't think it matters who officially captains the side - whoever he names will have the same problem - lack of leadership surrounding him.

SCW had Martin Johnson as the skipper heading towards the '03 RWC - but Johnno had help from Vickery, Dallaglio, Dawson, Greenwood, Catt and Robinson, to name a half-dozen. Where are our equivalents of the same "character".

Eddie stated from the start that he wanted to build a squad containing several leaders. I'm not sure he's managed to do that, for various reasons.

First, there's a degree of changing of the guard, so to speak - Cole, Robshaw, the Hask and Mike Brown are playing less, and whilst their replacements don't necessarily weaken the team, there is something in the order of 200 caps less international experience. Our team doesn't have many "grizzled old warriors".

Of today's atarting XV, Youngs(84), Faz(69),Launch(57), May(44) and Billy(40) have a combined 284 caps. The other 10 have 229.

Contrast the 2015 WC All Blacks. They had a few retirements the following year - Tony Woodcock, Ma'a Nonu, Dan Carter, Ritchie McCaw, Conrad Smith and Kevin Mealamu. One reason that Ireland, Wales, Scotland and England are getting closer to them is that Steve Hanson lost a full 700 (yes, seven hundred) caps of experience to select from.

Second, when we lost Billy for so long, EJ tried to play the same tactics with others at No 8 who aren't Billy and don't carry & tie in defenders like he does. Add the fact that we spent ages playing locks at 6 it was no wonder our breakdown play was dog-poo.

Third, Faz at 10 with a hard-running 12 needs a FB in the mould of Alex Goode (which Mike B and Elliot D are not) - or the type of outside centre which Henry Slade now looks like, but didn't in his early appearances.

In short, if he plays at stand-off he can't skipper, as it's too much to deal with just now. If he's going to be captain, play him at centre outside George Ford. It's tried, tested and proven. Last years woes weren't a failure at 10/12 - it was failure to compete effectively at the breakdown leading to slow ball ... no 10 in the history of the game could have done much with the rubbish George was getting from Ben Youngs.

Wars begin when you will, but they do not end when you please - Niccolo Machiavelli

Roger G (IP Logged)
17 March, 2019 08:36
Not suggestinbg he's captain material, but I don't think Spencer stopped shouting instructions to the team for the entire time he was on the pitch yesterday. Is that leadership?

SarrieSaint (IP Logged)
17 March, 2019 09:00
I hope Sarries bought Daly on a sale or return basis.

RossM (IP Logged)
17 March, 2019 09:36
Quote:
SarrieSaint
I hope Sarries bought Daly on a sale or return basis.

You can keep him, mate. Us Waspies don't think he's entitled to wear the black and gold for the rest of the season. Loan him to Nottingham, if they'll have him.

The Bard (IP Logged)
17 March, 2019 09:46
Simply cannot see him getting the 15 shirt at Sarries next season.
George Kruis has most of the ingredients you would expect to need in a captain.
I’m really not convinced by these very public team huddles we see at every opportunity from England. International players simply shouldn’t need constant lecturing. I suspect it has a negative impact if anything

Innings (IP Logged)
17 March, 2019 09:55
One of the less immediately obviously clever signings, but then, how often does the coaching set-up get these things wrong?

Innings

Points win matches: tries win hearts and minds.

SBFez (IP Logged)
17 March, 2019 09:57
Having Billy back to get some match fitness and confidence in his game and body will make a difference. Thought the aggressiveness with which Nathan Hughes carried when he came on contrasted quite a lot to Billy atm- who looks willing but isn't being as aggressive as he used to yet

Sarriebone (IP Logged)
17 March, 2019 11:02
I would suggest the fact that Eddie refuses to pick Cips leads me to believe that he actively dissuades players from taking initiative on field. He sends them on to the field with a plan, which is great...when it works, but when the opposition change things they have no answer. I don't believe it's because the players don't know they need to change something on field. Faz is a multiple European cup, Premiership and 6N winning player, you don't do that by not understanding the game and knowing when to change things. Maybe he is a leader that won't go against his coach, and if that's the case then that is an issue. But the bigger issue with that is if the coach is breeding a culture of not questioning within the team then they aren't going to win anything.

I've said it for a while now and I'll say it again, Eddie is wasting some of these guys' international careers.

The Bard (IP Logged)
17 March, 2019 11:34
I am beginning to wonder if there are parallels with Ian Botham in the England cricket team. Both Owen and Ian are outstanding players and natural leaders, but captaincy is a completely different skill. Is there a Mike Brearley lurking anywhere in the squad?

Highbury Saracen (IP Logged)
17 March, 2019 11:37
Sam Burgess!!!! smiling smiley

European champions 2016 & 2017

John Tee (IP Logged)
17 March, 2019 13:04
Quote:
Jim 55
In Brads absence Faz has been skipper and in reality we are never happy until Brads return. Is Faz a skipper, he leads by example no issue with that but does he understand the game and the styles of play, where we need to change the game plan?
I would suggest he is not a natural skipper.

I'd agree, I think he is a strong voice and can lead by example...but he also tried too hard to rectify two silly mistakes. For that reason, you'd have him as a vice or,senior player to refer to but not a captain.
I think he has too much input as well and he needs to be put in his place or rather understand someone else has a valid point to make and allow that. Not helped by England not having players who can or are willing to do that, though
I suspect he has been brought up that way and therefore has been programmed to be a leader, whereby he isn't naturally that.

When your head goes...as his did, he had no one to reign him in or calm him down.

If someone had been able to do that, he maybe wouldn't have compounded one mistake....which dooms some careers...with two others.

TonyTaff (IP Logged)
17 March, 2019 13:19
Quote:
bigfecker

I don't think Daly will be playing 15 for Sarries - we have two fairly good full-backs at the club already!

£721.05 (*) donated to the Saracens Foundation due to visits to the Sarries frontpage [www.rugbynetwork.net]

Please read and submit articles for publication. (*) As at October 31, 2018.

JO'G (IP Logged)
17 March, 2019 13:27
Quote:
TonyTaff
Quote:
bigfecker

I don't think Daly will be playing 15 for Sarries - we have two fairly good full-backs at the club already!

With Maitland playing 15 yesterday Sarries will have the England, Scotland and Wales fill backs playing for them next season. None of course will start because we have a better one

Was really disappointed yesterday when England were 31 up, penalty right in front of the post and fad goes for the corner. If he was kicking for sarries thsts 3 points every time unless we are chasing the 4th try

Man from LA (IP Logged)
17 March, 2019 15:38
Quote:
1876-Fez
Quote:
trummy200

So going by your argument, Jackson Wray should be picked ahead of Tom Curry as he has won more medals than Curry? No? Didn't think so.

1876-Fez (IP Logged)
17 March, 2019 18:34
Quote:
Man from LA
Quote:
1876-Fez
Quote:
trummy200

So going by your argument, Jackson Wray should be picked ahead of Tom Curry as he has won more medals than Curry? No? Didn't think so.

Where was the mention of medals? No I don't think I did. That wasn't my argument.
He was chosen by different coaches for Lions and England ahead of Cips. And has the experience of playing and winning in Europe and England.
Again I will state I believe there is a place for Cips in the squad, I am not anti any player or team like others.

SUPPORT Help for Heroes:
Help for Heroes

sarricen (IP Logged)
17 March, 2019 20:55
What’s so boring about the whole ‘Farrell shouldn’t be our 10’ argument is for the 9 games out of 10 he plays well there’s absolute silence, but on the one game he plays badly everyone comes out of the woodwork and says how terrible he is and how cipriani should start. It takes those 9 good games for people to acknowledge that he’s a good player but after that one game (or half in this case), he goes back to being terrible again.

Farrell should not be captain but he is our best 10. I think his capitulation yesterday was a result of too much pressure being on him yesterday, and if he is not captain and there are other strong leaders around the pitch it will not happen

westwaleswasp (IP Logged)
17 March, 2019 21:37
Quote:
1876-Fez
Quote:
Man from LA
Quote:
1876-Fez
Quote:
trummy200

And has the experience of playing and winning in Europe and England.

Not that I think it matters, but you do know that Cipriani has both winning in Europe and the Prem double on his cv, just like Farrell? In fact he started the successful 2007 HC final, and played that year up till an ankle break in the semi ruled him out of the final of the prem.

Roger G (IP Logged)
18 March, 2019 07:30
What a ridiculous "my dog's bigger than your dog" argument!! Both are great players but have different strengths and weaknesses if you consider their whole game, not just one aspect of it. And, as human beings, both will have good and bad games. Which of them (or one or two others) to choose comes down to how the coach wants the game played.

#wolfpack (IP Logged)
18 March, 2019 08:57
I'll give England the benefit of the doubt - the game was basically an invitational game after the Wales result, so it's fair enough to kick to the corner rather than taking points etc. Faz doesn't need practice kicking points, England did need practice with a driving maul.

In addition, Owen doesn't get charged down or throw interceptions very often- that won't happen again.

For all the criticism that he and England and Eddie Jones have had after the Welsh result and Saturday, if in September you had offered me 3 wins in the Autumn and a very close run thing vs NZ, 3 wins and a draw in the 6N including a very comprehensive win in Dublin, plus the way England played in the first half both in Cardiff and on Saturday, I'd have bitten your hand off.

In my view, England now know their best team and now know their best bench and that's definite and substantial progress.

Highbury Saracen (IP Logged)
18 March, 2019 09:08
I pretty much agree with that!
5 points achieved in 3 of games & some good performances
Was there on saturday & a lot of scottish supporters think England were best team in 6N this season!!
However, congratulations to Wales,after first half v France nobody saw it coming! smiling smiley

European champions 2016 & 2017

Barnetsarrie12 (IP Logged)
18 March, 2019 10:24
Quote:
#wolfpack
I'll give England the benefit of the doubt - the game was basically an invitational game after the Wales result, so it's fair enough to kick to the corner rather than taking points etc. Faz doesn't need practice kicking points, England did need practice with a driving maul.
In addition, Owen doesn't get charged down or throw interceptions very often- that won't happen again.

For all the criticism that he and England and Eddie Jones have had after the Welsh result and Saturday, if in September you had offered me 3 wins in the Autumn and a very close run thing vs NZ, 3 wins and a draw in the 6N including a very comprehensive win in Dublin, plus the way England played in the first half both in Cardiff and on Saturday, I'd have bitten your hand off.

In my view, England now know their best team and now know their best bench and that's definite and substantial progress.

Totally agree with this. While saturday was disappointing and we have developed a weird issue not closing out games, I thought this six nations was actually really good from England. To score 4 tries or more in 4 of the 5 games showed how well the attack has come in the last 12 months. I thought Wales rightly deserved to win the six nations, but I think England are in much better shape for the world cup. You are not going to beat NZ or SA without having a good attacking game and Wales did not show anything in this six nations to show that they have a top level attack. England has shown that and against Ireland, France, NZ in the autumn and Wales in the first 65 minutes, we showed we have a top level defense also.

John Tee (IP Logged)
18 March, 2019 11:29
It is fair to say that England on full beans can be a formidable side.. But the ability to switch off means we could be fallible against lesser teams. As good as Scotlands comeback was, that was a 50 plus pointer game for the taking.
England have big problems once we lose the dressing room talk as we can't or don't fix it during the game.
We collapse in certain conditions...and everyone now knows it.

BACK TO BLACK (IP Logged)
18 March, 2019 12:08
Quote:
#wolfpack
I'll give England the benefit of the doubt - the game was basically an invitational game after the Wales result

Not sure I entirely agree with that WP. The CC is a unique fixture in rugby and probably the only one that could stir such deep antagonisms despite the 6N being settled - witness last year and our subsequent meeting with Glasgow. One unintended benefit of Saturday's bonkers game is that our next meeting with Glasgow might just be a wee bit more than a European Cup QF so I'm looking forward to it massively.

Also all the talk about England understandably but Scotland should be given credit for not laying doon at 31 - 0 Yes we were poor, falling off tackles and error strewn but Scotland took full advantage, and some, so hats off to them - roll on 30th March....

beshocked (IP Logged)
18 March, 2019 12:33
Luckily Barritt is captain of Saracens. It just shows how valuable he is to the club.

Farrell is an excellent rugby player but not captaincy material.

He's been given too much responsibility and cannot handle it. The responsibility has to be given to others so Farrell can focus on what he does well.

I agree George Kruis had a good tournament and he would be a better candidate as captain.

Having Youngs alongside him, didn't help Farrell. Having the Saracens backline to assist him will make things much more comfortable.

Defensively Saracens should be much more sound than England.

John Tee (IP Logged)
18 March, 2019 13:34
I, too, thought Kruis was good. Ideally, I wouldn't pair him with launchbury but that wasn't a choice we had so no problems there.
Farrell made critical mistakes and lost it but again, you don't see many games like that from him.
I do think that Jones and England are way too dependent on him though and it not his fault for trying to step up, that rests through Jones entirely. Imo
Farrell should be a player like everyone else and that means he should not be almost as
indispensable as he currently looks.
What would England do that if he were injured...
Jones should not put England and Farrell in that position and I think he tries way too hard to recover a mistake and weve seen that escalate before. Less pressure in that regard might help him.
I don't think anyone had a real stinker and we shouldn't have let that game go.
Daly was ok..ish.
Youngs was Youngs these days...but Jones could have subbed Farrell earlier but acted late.
We didn't individually play badly enough to lose our grip but when Farrell's head went, so did everyone's..
That is not good teamwork.
I'm not sure if Itoje would have helped manage the game, but I think Hartley would have.
Jones plan to fix this will be to hammer home the gameplan..which I don't think will be the answer.
Funnily enough, I think Cipriani integrated into the squad would help...he knows what he wants and I think if Jones and Farrell bought into that, it would help.
He is a strong personality...and at times Farrell needs help.
A good manager would make the people dynamic work for the good of the team.
Ultimately the problem is Jones, imv.

SarrieSaint (IP Logged)
18 March, 2019 14:13
Tbh the fact that five or six England players decided on multiple occasions that tackling was optional concerns me much more than Farrells performance.

TonyTaff (IP Logged)
18 March, 2019 14:48
There was a failure of leadership. Not just by the captain - the coaches and other senior players are involved.

Given that there are no competitive matches until the World Cup, that'll take some fixing.

£721.05 (*) donated to the Saracens Foundation due to visits to the Sarries frontpage [www.rugbynetwork.net]

John Tee (IP Logged)
18 March, 2019 17:20
Quote:
TonyTaff
There was a failure of leadership. Not just by the captain - the coaches and other senior players are involved.
Given that there are no competitive matches until the World Cup, that'll take some fixing.

I agree and it is letting coaches off a fundemental to let Farrell carry the can entirely.
Farrell got the wrong headlines but Jones is
more culpable Imv, as he has provided no help.
Senior players aren't taking senior roles.
If Jones has stifled that...and i think he has because we stick rigidly to a game plan that wasn't working, then we either pick natural leaders or we have this same conversation at some point in the rwc.

Barnetsarrie12 (IP Logged)
19 March, 2019 09:10
Quote:
TonyTaff

I agree that Farrell was not the only one who failed on saturday, but I do think England have become too reliant on him as captain. Ideally your captain should be a forward or a centre, if you want a back as captain. Farrell is the goal kicker, fly half, that is already a lot of responsibility and then adding captain to his plate just seems like a lot.

Personally I think Itoje or George/Hartley should be captain, as Itoje is the only lock guaranteed to start in the team and he won't have the added pressure of calling the lineouts with Kruis there. He also now has 30 international caps, so has enough experience. I like Locks as captains or Hookers.

RobV (IP Logged)
19 March, 2019 10:52
It's interesting that no-one is talking about Ben Young's in this context - England's most capped scrum half. Offers no obvious leadership and very little of note around the park. What value is he really adding out there?

JO'G (IP Logged)
19 March, 2019 11:57
the real issue was that after the 3rd Scottish try - when the lead was still ok enough that nobody came on with the water and said

lets catch and drive; play round the corner; drill the ball into touch in their 22; generally be English for 10/15 minutes and starve Scotland of any ball. Instead they just tried to up the tempo and gave Russell more broken field play to kill us with

Either someone on the field should have done that or someone coming on with the word from Eddy to do the same - the fact he didn't make their minds up for them is the bigger problem. Reminicent of the Italian fox

John Tee (IP Logged)
19 March, 2019 13:00
Quote:
JO'G
the real issue was that after the 3rd Scottish try - when the lead was still ok enough that nobody came on with the water and said
lets catch and drive; play round the corner; drill the ball into touch in their 22; generally be English for 10/15 minutes and starve Scotland of any ball. Instead they just tried to up the tempo and gave Russell more broken field play to kill us with

Either someone on the field should have done that or someone coming on with the word from Eddy to do the same - the fact he didn't make their minds up for them is the bigger problem. Reminicent of the Italian fox

That will be Jones' fix for the rwc.
Everything dumbed down to playing by numbers
The better sides will vary things and we will be waiting for the water bottle and going down injured every 5 mins lol

TonyTaff (IP Logged)
19 March, 2019 14:18
Robert Kitson, in today's Guardian, identifies making Maro the captain as the answer. Funny, that was the solution in the pub I was in - I was the only Sarries fan there, and the only non-English person participating in the debate!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net