rugbyunion
Latest News:
New Page 1

Whatever your views on Saracens, whether a Sarries fan or not, leave them here.

To leave a message on this board you must register. To register click HERE, it takes only a minute.
Non-rugby posts are welcome, but please prefix your subject header with "OT" or "Off Topic".

Thought for the Day:
DOUBLE DOUBLE
PREMIERSHIP & EUROPEAN CHAMPIONS

Latest: EXETER CHIEFS 34:37 SARACENS
Next:
Audio: Click the link below. If it ain' there, it ain't on!
Upcoming TV:

BBC Online Rugby Union Commentaries

The Fish | Rugby Union News | Fez Boys | Saracens Fixtures | The SSA | Rugby on TV

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Brizzel v Sarries
Maroon Tyke (IP Logged)
13 April, 2019 18:20
HT: 6 - 7

Try for Whitley, Goode conversion. 2 x Penalties for Sheedy.

Sounds like Tolafua's having a mare throwing-in. Expect Jamie on soon.

Re: Brizzel v Sarries
Sarriebone (IP Logged)
13 April, 2019 18:23
Think he's hit one so far, awful. Could cost us big.

GazzaFez (IP Logged)
13 April, 2019 18:26
A lot of aerial ping pong so far and a very high penalty count.

Malins made one of his fancy breaks and offloaded to Whiteley for a straightforward run-in.

Unfortunately I think Whiteley has made a bit of a hash of it so far in other respects.

Tolofua is doing the usual - couldn't hit a barn door.

Luckily we have the resources on the bench to sort this out. We are holding our own so far and possibly marginally the better team as reflected in the score. Therefore bringing on Jamie George aand Spenno should resolve the main issues. A bit of extra grunt from Maro and Billy should sort this out. I just hope that MMcC doesn't stand on ceremony and leave it too late.

BTW Glaws beat Barf with a TBP so we really do need to put this one to bed.

Sarriebone (IP Logged)
13 April, 2019 18:29
I think Whiteley's been ok, trying a little too hard maybe, just needs to settle down.

GazzaFez (IP Logged)
13 April, 2019 18:41
Lewington dropped off a tackle on the wing. Bristol in under the posts. 13-7.

Need the cavalry - now

GazzaFez (IP Logged)
13 April, 2019 18:46
Mark has had enough it seems.

Billy V, Jamie, Vincent, Maro all on at the same time.

No Spenno yet.

GazzaFez (IP Logged)
13 April, 2019 18:54
That's s rarity!

Driving maul and Marcelo Bosch scores!

Bristol previously yellow carded for repeated infringements and collapsing the maul on the try line.

Thacker in the bin.

Goode converts from out wide.

13-14

GazzaFez (IP Logged)
13 April, 2019 18:55
Earl on for Clark.

GazzaFez (IP Logged)
13 April, 2019 19:02
Briz break straight through the middle and score under the posts.

20-14

15 minutes to go.

GazzaFez (IP Logged)
13 April, 2019 19:06
Spenno on.

GazzaFez (IP Logged)
13 April, 2019 19:08
Adams-Hale crashes over from short range.

Try converted.

20-21

GazzaFez (IP Logged)
13 April, 2019 19:15
Loz on for Marcelo.

Maroon Tyke (IP Logged)
13 April, 2019 19:20
Saracens concede penalty. Maddigan scores 23 - 21!

GazzaFez (IP Logged)
13 April, 2019 19:22
FT.

OhMaroItoje (IP Logged)
13 April, 2019 19:24
Looks like we canít win away still!!! Ruining our reputation, teams are no longer scared to play us!

nickthesarrie (IP Logged)
13 April, 2019 19:26
Billy was never going to be right mentally for this game. Such poor management and such bloody obvious poetic justice.

Absolutely brain dead. LISTEN TO THE REFEREE!

He just wanted his name in the headlines for the match wininng penalty.

vunipolae (IP Logged)
13 April, 2019 19:28
Was at Ashton Gate today and my experience was absolutely horrible. I've experienced less toxic atmospheres in football away ends. I was abused by several fans and felt intimidated throughout. Would not recommend anyone going to Ashton Gate as an away fan

I am extremely disappointed with Billy Vunipolas actions over the last few days and will struggle to support him as much as the rest of the team. But calls for someone to "rape him up the bum" are absolutely disgusting and have no place in our game or anywhere else for that matter

derbyshire fan (IP Logged)
13 April, 2019 19:52
Sorry to read that - we see just heading back from the game; all the Bristol fans sitting near us were perfectly friendly. Didnít like all the booing every time Billy touched the ball

lechef (IP Logged)
13 April, 2019 20:06
Quote:
vunipolae
Was at Ashton Gate today and my experience was absolutely horrible. I've experienced less toxic atmospheres in football away ends. I was abused by several fans and felt intimidated throughout. Would not recommend anyone going to Ashton Gate as an away fan
I am extremely disappointed with Billy Vunipolas actions over the last few days and will struggle to support him as much as the rest of the team. But calls for someone to "rape him up the bum" are absolutely disgusting and have no place in our game or anywhere else for that matter

If i was you i would report the people to Bristol as you know where they were sitting and they will have a record of who purchased the seat/s. Action needs to be taken otherwise the mindless idiots will get away with it and carry on.

shhandy (IP Logged)
13 April, 2019 20:08
Bristol supporter in peace. I was very sorry to hear of your bad experience, I hope and think not typical of our supporter base. We were pretty mixed group in my area of the Dolman and everybody got on famously. Please try us again when a player has not set themselves up as pantomime villain the day before. Apologies again if you felt uncomfortable.

Brisman (IP Logged)
13 April, 2019 20:24
I can only echo the sentiments of shhandy, bitterly disappointed to hear of vunipoleaís experience, and I would encourage you to report these incidents to the club. Also, Iíd like to wish you all best for the rest of the season.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 13/04/2019 20:33 by Brisman.

EverOptimistic (IP Logged)
13 April, 2019 20:29
Another Bris supporter here. Although I vehemently disagree with what he said, I was ashamed of the booing of Billy. And I agree with lechef, the fans making such comments should be reported to Bristol's management. Apologies on both counts.

And please beat Exeter in the playoffs.

Hoopsy (IP Logged)
13 April, 2019 20:54
To be fair Bris did play a special song for Mr Vunipola at the end ..."It's raining men" winking smiley

jez4bris1 (IP Logged)
13 April, 2019 21:34
Billy V was the pantomime villain today only! We are a passionate bunch down here in Bristol and love to see great competitive rugby. You have got far bigger fish to fry than us! It was a reflection of how well we were doing that you brought your Lions on after onky 50mins.
Today was a great win for us and much needed.
All the best for next week against Munster when the vast majority of Bristol fans will be cheering you on!

13 April, 2019 21:42
On the plus side, the best commentary Iíve ever listened to . A chap who went all Bob Fleming every time he got excited and a Briz player (joyce)? Who was like whyisitnevereasy on amphetamines whenever Briz weíre pushing hard. Priceless and superb, I understood about 1 in 5 words.

"Darkness washed over the Dude - Darker than a black steer's tookus on a moonless prairie night. There was no bottom."

SarrieSaint (IP Logged)
13 April, 2019 21:48
Quote:
nickthesarrie
Billy was never going to be right mentally for this game ... He just wanted his name in the headlines for the match wininng penalty.

For the sake of accuracy I believe it was Wray refusing to role (obviously trapped in by Bristol players but that's the risk you run) that was the reason for the penalty not Billy.

Well done to Bristol. A game Sarries should have won and yet again a team with so much attacking potential is happy to aimlessly kick the ball away all game while defending a one or two point lead. It's so far beyond brainless it's not funny.
Goode shocking kicking from hand and decision-making. I hope he's got that out of his system.

If Sarries play that same dull kicking game to Munster they'll lose and deservedly so.

Credit to the starting front row and pack, lineout excepted. Thought Barrington and Titi both played well. Malins showed what a beautifully balanced runner and counter-attacker he is. Spencer good when he came on.

The Bard (IP Logged)
13 April, 2019 21:57
So thatís 5 consecutive league defeats away from home. Cannot think how many years itís been since we did that. Very disappointing we missed a chance to nail a home semi, weíll probably have to beat Exeter to get one now

13 April, 2019 22:17
Could honestly be worse, I think. Not a full-strength side and the win against Exeter is certainly possible. Whiteley didn't look the best from what I saw, but his try should help boost his confidence. Good shift from the front row, too.

Highbury Saracen (IP Logged)
14 April, 2019 00:43
Smally got this wrong!
His half back selection & his hooker selection didn't work
Unfortunately ....any 'leave'has probably now been cancelled!

European champions 2016 & 2017

sarricen (IP Logged)
14 April, 2019 00:46
The more I think about it the more f*****g angry I am at billy. What the f*** was he thinking plunging the club into this mess. Over what? An imaginary entity sending perfectly normal people doing perfectly acceptable things to an imaginary place.

Yes Iím drunk but this whole thing is a f****** joke. This has the potential to derail our whole season.

Innings (IP Logged)
14 April, 2019 01:11
Well two threads in one here.

The pantomime booing was nothing more than that, and it was pretty much what anyone should have expected. Trying to make it a big story is not a reflection of the event. Nobody around me was remotely unpleasant, in fact, on both sides I had conversations with interesting and knowledgeable long-time supporters.

The game itself, which I'll write up soon, was awful. Bristol won because they wanted to. Sarries lost because they were casual to begin with, error-strewn throughout the game and among all the players, numbered 1-23. Pat Lam said Bristol had not got back into the Prem just to make up the numbers, and it showed today what it means to the team and the supporters to have the four points that makes survival more likely than not.

Innings

Points win matches: tries win hearts and minds.

Old Curmudgeon (IP Logged)
14 April, 2019 07:16
Funny thing, it looked suspiciously like Alex Goods taking the conversion kicks to a barrage of booing not Billy Vunipola.

No place in rugby and no place for me. Vile abuse may pass as banter in some peopleís minds but not in mine.

I can only imagine what a toxic cesspit must be in session when these disgusting morons are in the same stadium as those jolly cards from Gloucester.

Stevie_Wonder (IP Logged)
14 April, 2019 07:33
This is hilarious!

ďNo place in rugby and no place for me. Vile abuse may pass as banter in some peopleís minds but not in mine.

I can only imagine what a toxic cesspit must be in session when these disgusting morons are in the same stadium as those jolly cards from Gloucester.Ē

Youíve literally just butchered your own point in your very next paragraph! Living up to your name very well!

Every club has a few idiot ďfansĒ. I watched a dad move seat with his young kid at half time today in the dolman after some words with a group of saracens ďfansĒ behind him about swearing.

We had a Worcester ďfanĒ punching a lady a couple of weeks back. Letís not tar everybody with the same brush eh? Sorry you encountered a couple today vunipolae. As others have said, report it, preferably at the time. These things are usually very well policed and even self policed by those around at the time.

The pantomime booing was just that, certainly not malicious. If Billy puts himself on that pedestal heís going to get shot at Iím afraid...

Good luck for the rest of the season gents, rather you guys won than the holier than thou Exeter mob. At least after yesterdayís win we will hopefully be staying up with you next year!

Old Curmudgeon (IP Logged)
14 April, 2019 07:57
Keep going, can you feel the hook?

Stevie_Wonder (IP Logged)
14 April, 2019 08:13
Ah, you were joking. Silly me. Have a good Sunday, hope you avoid all the disgusting morons. Xxx

SarrieSaint (IP Logged)
14 April, 2019 08:16
Thanks to the Bristol supporters posting on here. I wasn't at the game and whilst the booing was disappointing I have been at games at AP before where that's been going on. Likewise as said above whilst rugby supporters are generally a smashing bunch we've probably all had experiences of people who let themselves down. Reporting them is certainly the way to go, in the old day I would have had a "quiet word" but that gets you in trouble these days. I love that we enjoy a sport that is a great environment for all and that supporters can sit together unsegregated. There's no place for people that threaten that.

sarricen I don't think Billy has ruined anything. The club is having a tough season in the press regardless. This has added to it but now's the time that support is really valuable isn't it? He's the same person he's always been and it would be a real shame if those accusing him of intolerance were to drive him out of the game with the same thing themselves.

Quote:
Highbury Saracen
Smally got this wrong!
His half back selection & his hooker selection didn't work

I'm not convinced he did HS. I think he took a gamble with an eye on the big picture next week. He surely realised it was a risk but I think reasonably thought that the bench would be enough to bring the game home if the game was tight. Even with some inexperience at 9 and 10 and our lineout not functioning this was a game the team should have won.
Tactical inflexibility and lack of leadership on the field lost the team this game IMO and it was senior players who were the biggest culprits.

I watched a decent Falcons team with a host of attacking players throw away a game and possibly their chance to stay up on friday because they kicked ball aimlessly away to the worst defensive team in the league. Even when they eventually kept some ball in hand and scythed through Leicesters defence they still went back to the kicking game the phase after. The kicking game is a potent one but only if done well. Yesterday our 9/10/15 but especially our experienced 15 kicked mindlessly to open field with no chase. Two tries resulted directly from giving Bristol ball to run back at Sarries in space. The first 50 were tricky as the ball couldn't be kicked off because of our lineout but that changed at 50 minutes when the bench came on but did the kicking plan? No, it was the same mindless hoofing with no chance of the chase putting the team under pressure.

In last seasons final I really thought that Sarries has found the right balance. Chiefs are a team that thrive on possession so Sarries denied it to them. Didn't kick loosely and won with something to spare. Cut to earlier this season and Sarries are back to playing without the ball, punting it back at every opportunity and end up well beaten as the team fails to deal with the penalties and inevitable lineouts and mauls that defending all game bring. I just don't get it. Surely the coaching staff are smarter than this?

KingoftheHill (IP Logged)
14 April, 2019 08:25
Quote:
Old Curmudgeon

I can only imagine what a toxic cesspit must be in session when these disgusting morons are in the same stadium as those jolly cards from Gloucester.

Glad you enjoyed your visit, and FYI, it was a cracking atmosphere against Glos . . I guess a passionate crowd is something you're just not used to at the library

#wolfpack (IP Logged)
14 April, 2019 08:51
Quote:
SarrieSaint
it would be a real shame if those accusing him of intolerance were to drive him out of the game with the same thing themselves.

Well said. Itís always struck me how those who defend the insulted do so with insults.

I do think the pantomime booing was no more than that. He didnít seem to care.

Always thought Bristol would get something out of the game. Yes it was pretty rubbish all round, but the most important thing is no one got injured and we can look to next week. I think because of the congested fixtures at the end of the season itís v possible we lose all our remaining games in the Prem. I think we ought to keep perspective if that happens : we have 4 games to care about. Two semi finals and two finals. Who cares about the others.

AB (IP Logged)
14 April, 2019 10:51
Quote:
#wolfpack
Quote:
SarrieSaint
it would be a real shame if those accusing him of intolerance were to drive him out of the game with the same thing themselves.

Well said. Itís always struck me how those who defend the insulted do so with insults.

I do think the pantomime booing was no more than that. He didnít seem to care.

Always thought Bristol would get something out of the game. Yes it was pretty rubbish all round, but the most important thing is no one got injured and we can look to next week. I think because of the congested fixtures at the end of the season itís v possible we lose all our remaining games in the Prem. I think we ought to keep perspective if that happens : we have 4 games to care about. Two semi finals and two finals. Who cares about the others.

We have to bear in mind that we would obviously prefer a home game against Gloucester than a match at Kingsholm- so a win yesterday would have been very helpful

Eric Browett (IP Logged)
14 April, 2019 12:05
A home semi final is very important. With our away form (in fact with our inconsistent, indifferent form home or away) a trip to Glaws would, in my opinion, be a game we'd be more likely to lose than to win.

I thought one of our mantras was that we don't pick and choose games to 'perform' in. Doesn't seem that way to me this season. You don't turn form on and off like a tap.

Rinkadink (IP Logged)
14 April, 2019 13:08
Quote:
Old Curmudgeon
I love this, honestly a compliment! Thank you.

Great atmosphere at Ashton Gate vs Glaws earlier this year (as it is when we visit castle grim) and we generally tend to view it as friendly rivalry that gets very loud... which is why Glaws fans chanted Bristol in the shed last season as we won a big championship match and the sports bar celebrated their win over Barf yesterday. The clap and kick prawn sandwich brigade may not like it but we're fine with that.

grinning smiley

Oh and why aren't you addressing your own fans who jeered the Bristol kicks? I thought it added to the atmosphere nicely and travelling Sarries supporters were a credit to the club. With a bit of luck we'll see you again next season and hopefully compete with you at the top of the game if our vision for the future is realised. We'll be cheering you on in Europe this coming weekend for sure, best of luck.

MGB (IP Logged)
14 April, 2019 15:40
My observations from yesterday

The Bristol fans we met were uniformly knowledgeable, friendly and helpful. From our seats in the Dolman stand we heard nothing remotely untoward. Their fans were thankful that we had sent a weakened side, expressed support for us next week and thought the Billy situation had been overblown.

I agree that the booing was largely of a pantomime nature and came from a minority. Billy played well for the 20 minutes or so he was on and after the game was applauded with the rest of the Saracens team when they did a circuit of the pitch. He had a big smile after the game although not sure if this was forced to try to show he hadn't been affected.

As for the game, let's not forget we came within a minute of a win. The biggest reason for the loss was the inability of Tolofua to hit his jumpers. We lost at least 5 of our own line-outs and so in the first half lost territory and momentum as a result. Score on only one of those possessions and we win (probably). Whitely and Malins were rather callow and both turned over ball from inaccurate kicks into touch on the full or over the dead ball line.You could pick a few other issues, e.g. lack of tackiling for their line breaks but the line out was the biggest issue. Remember Exeter only won there after a penalty try at the end which I am told the referree subsequently reviewed post match and accepted as an errror..

sarricen (IP Logged)
14 April, 2019 15:51
It is utterly mind boggling we keep choosing Tolufua when he is so incapable of carrying out the most basic of hooker duties

PhillFez (IP Logged)
14 April, 2019 16:21
Just watched the highlights and Bristol were the better consistent side. Absolute morons to be booing the Sarries first try, booing Silly Billy was pantomime stuff.

BACK TO BLACK (IP Logged)
14 April, 2019 16:37
I was at the game yesterday in the South Stand. We traveled en famille including our 3 month old grandson who, as a Bristol resident, attended his first rugby match. I'm thinking he might get mascot status after the result!
I just wanted to say that without exception the Bristol fans around us were excellent company. One lovely lady insisted on holding grandson whilst we replenished our 2 pint pots.
Bristol deserved their win and well done.
The Billy situation is nothing more than disappointing. Those who want to stir it up will and more fool them. Billy probably needs a quiet word with MMcC about the dangers of online engagements of a delicate nature.

vunipolae (IP Logged)
14 April, 2019 17:40
Just want to thank the Bristol fans on here for being supportive. I have made a complaint and given me seat number etc. I appreciate that as with most clubs the vast majority of fans are decent and it is just a small and vocal minority that risk ruining it for the rest of us.

On the matter of Tolofua I think he was 2/7 from lineouts in the first half. Can never say it is entirely the hookers fault but he clearly doesn't have the same connection with the jumpers as the other hookers. I don't personally think he does nearly enough around the park to justify selection. I wouldn't be surprised if there are some language difficulties contributing to the problem. Either way Jamie is about as indispensable as a player can be to us right now.

Anyone got any progree updates on Mako? Hoping to see him back next week

Prop Joe (IP Logged)
14 April, 2019 19:30
Quote:
Vodka and Gin Graham
On the plus side, the best commentary Iíve ever listened to . A chap who went all Bob Fleming every time he got excited and a Briz player (joyce)? Who was like whyisitnevereasy on amphetamines whenever Briz weíre pushing hard. Priceless and superb, I understood about 1 in 5 words.

Haha. Wuz gert lush me Babs! Joe Joyce is about as Briz as you get. Great club man.

plzd (IP Logged)
14 April, 2019 21:07
As a Quin fan we had a season of being booed and mick taking after blood gate. It was just as has been said pantomime villain stuff. People need to stop being offended by every single thing. I agree that abuse of fellow fans is not acceptable but as for the rest, get over it if you want to spend your life beinf offended it is your own problem. For me personally while I don't agree with bv I defend his right to have his own opinion sadly we live in a world where so called liberals suddenly stop being Liberal when a person has a different opinion to their own but they don't see the irony in that. Good luck against munster people.

darktagnan (IP Logged)
14 April, 2019 22:07
I agree MGB. And Smally has also said our set piece was very poor in the first half. we blew a load of territory & pressure through a simple inability to claim our own ball in the lineout. I'm afraid I have increasing concerns in the scrum as well if Mako is unavailable, but our lineout work was absolutely shocking.
There was some awful kick tennis from both sides as well.
The final penalty felt somewhat inevitable for about two mins before it was actually awarded. Bristol were playing for it & unfortunately Sir eventually felt inclined to penalise us for something at the ruck.
Still enjoyed the trip - Bristol is a place I always like to visit.

Cunning Stunts (IP Logged)
14 April, 2019 23:34
I was booing Billy yesterday, I didn't hear any of the poor conduct mentioned above but it may have happened- there were a lot of drunk people at the game (me included) probably not helped by the late kick off. Not an excuse but tis true. Our collective love for Cider doesn't help either....

I love Sarries, you've got an amazing squad, whatever the legalities, and I will be cheering them on next week. If some of my fellow Bris fans actions bordered on the inappropriate, please give us the benefit of the doubt- you simply do not know how much we all feared this was yet another false dawn and that we'd be relegated again so were bricking it. Relegations's still possible but much less likely now. If you come back (and I hope you do), I'm sure you'll find us a less nervous and emotionally charged bunch if we're a little higher up the league.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net