Latest news:
New Page 1

Whatever your views on Saracens, whether a Sarries fan or not, leave them here.

To leave a message on this board you must register. To register click HERE, it takes only a minute.
Non-rugby posts are welcome, but please prefix your subject header with "OT" or "Off Topic".


Thought for the Day:
DOUBLE DOUBLE
PREMIERSHIP & EUROPEAN CHAMPIONS

Latest: EXETER CHIEFS 34:37 SARACENS
Next: WASPS v SARACENS Sat 21st Sept Ricoh PRC

Audio: Click the link below. If it ain' there, it ain't on!
Upcoming TV:

BBC Online Rugby Union Commentaries

The Fish | Rugby Union News | Fez Boys | Saracens Fixtures | The SSA | Rugby on TV


Somethings Started
Discussion started by Duncan96 , 07 August, 2019 18:27
Somethings Started
Duncan96 07 August, 2019 18:27
If anyone can tell me how I can share it here I have a picture of some building work which has started next to the old stand at AP. Looks like they are starting on the Car Park where the TV lorries park (and which turns into a quagmire in the winter).

Across the road the new sports centre looks like it's nearing completion so I guess they start knocking the old one down soon and the newly created mountain behind it will be dismantled?

Re: Somethings Started
Sarriebone 07 August, 2019 19:10
Stupidly on this forum you can only post a photo if it's already hosted somewhere else, like imgur.com


There's a thread on the Bath forum that explains it: [www.rugbynetwork.net]

Re: Somethings Started
london pride 08 August, 2019 09:45
There was talk a while ago of Middlesex County Cricket Club building a ground somewhere on the site.Seeing that a Mr E.Griffiths is on their board,this fuelled a lot of speculation.Does any body know how these plans are going or has it been kicked into touch?



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2019 09:46 by london pride.

Re: Somethings Started
Gryff 08 August, 2019 10:10
The Barnet Copthall masterplan is available on the Council site. This shows a Cricket facility along with a seperate Athletics stadium, playing fields etc. Barnet want and top class sports hub with top level rugby, athletics and cricket

[engage.barnet.gov.uk]

Re: Somethings Started
OhMaroItoje 08 August, 2019 12:49
Quote:
Gryff
The Barnet Copthall masterplan is available on the Council site. This shows a Cricket facility along with a seperate Athletics stadium, playing fields etc. Barnet want and top class sports hub with top level rugby, athletics and cricket
[engage.barnet.gov.uk]

If a separate Athletics stadium is being built then surely that means we will have the ability to build permanent stands on each end of Allianz!

Re: Somethings Started
GazzaFez 08 August, 2019 13:30
Small but significant difference; the intention is to build a separate athletics track, but not with a stadium. The additional track will relieve the situation which will inevitably arise when the proposed rugby season changes (meaning more overlap with the athletics season) but the main stadium and track will still be used in the height of the summer for meetings and competitions etc. This precludes permanent stands at the ends of the pitch. However, it does make it easier to have bigger removable stands because the requirement to leave 4 lanes of the running track open throughout the winter will be negated by the new track. Hope that helps.

Re: Somethings Started
OhMaroItoje 08 August, 2019 15:24
Quote:
GazzaFez
Small but significant difference; the intention is to build a separate athletics track, but not with a stadium. The additional track will relieve the situation which will inevitably arise when the proposed rugby season changes (meaning more overlap with the athletics season) but the main stadium and track will still be used in the height of the summer for meetings and competitions etc. This precludes permanent stands at the ends of the pitch. However, it does make it easier to have bigger removable stands because the requirement to leave 4 lanes of the running track open throughout the winter will be negated by the new track. Hope that helps.

Thatís a shame but maybe in 10 years that separate athletics track might be expanded to be an actual stadium allowing Allianz to be freely expanded. How many people actual attend the athletics events at Allianz because Sarries could easily build a 1k stand at the new track for not a lot I would presume.

Re: Somethings Started
Garp285 08 August, 2019 16:49
Quote:
GazzaFez
Small but significant difference; the intention is to build a separate athletics track, but not with a stadium. The additional track will relieve the situation which will inevitably arise when the proposed rugby season changes (meaning more overlap with the athletics season) but the main stadium and track will still be used in the height of the summer for meetings and competitions etc. This precludes permanent stands at the ends of the pitch. However, it does make it easier to have bigger removable stands because the requirement to leave 4 lanes of the running track open throughout the winter will be negated by the new track. Hope that helps.
Gazza, looking on the plan above, is the blue strip alongside the new athletics track not a stand? All other stands seem to be the same blue. Whether or not that constitutes a "stadium" or would be big enough is another matter. As OMI says, how many people attend the athletics meets?

Re: Somethings Started
GazzaFez 09 August, 2019 02:33
Quote:
Garp285
Gazza, looking on the plan above, is the blue strip alongside the new athletics track not a stand? All other stands seem to be the same blue. Whether or not that constitutes a "stadium" or would be big enough is another matter. As OMI says, how many people attend the athletics meets?

Yes I believe it is some form of stand, but it may only be terraced standing as we had on the site of our new East stand before it was constructed. Not sure though.

As for numbers attending the athletics meetings, I've not been to one in over ten years so have no feel for numbers these days. Some of the community events such as inter-school sports days for example do attract substantial numbers by the time you include parents, teachers and pupils. I've no idea about numbers for the actual athletic club meetings though.

Anecdotally I was led to believe that the intention was to attract in some of the major athletics meetings once we opened Allianz Park with all its facilities. I'm not aware of that happening in the last five years and if it did it was kept very low-key.


Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net