Latest news:
New Page 1

Whatever your views on Saracens, whether a Sarries fan or not, leave them here.

To leave a message on this board you must register. To register click HERE, it takes only a minute.
Non-rugby posts are welcome, but please prefix your subject header with "OT" or "Off Topic".

Thought for the Day:
DOUBLE DOUBLE
PREMIERSHIP & EUROPEAN CHAMPIONS

Latest: EXETER CHIEFS 34:37 SARACENS
Next: WASPS v SARACENS Sat 21st Sept Ricoh PRC

Audio: Click the link below. If it ain' there, it ain't on!
Upcoming TV:

BBC Online Rugby Union Commentaries

The Fish | Rugby Union News | Fez Boys | Saracens Fixtures | The SSA | Rugby on TV

New law proposals
Discussion started by Innings , 09 August, 2019 11:37
New law proposals
Innings 09 August, 2019 11:37
This needs some careful analysis, to give which I am unqualified.

The nipple-high tackle limit had to be abandoned halfway through trialling, as it resulted in an immediate and marked increase in tackler concussion. As a result, the trial new law will lower the tackle height to waist high. Cue for players to lower their bodies even more as they see a tackle arriving. A direct head-on-head collision between two players running into each other will be the inevitable result. Will the result of that lead to the first on-field death in a televised game?

A new law that gives the line-out to the kicking side after an indirect kick into touch in all areas except the opposition's 22-to-halfway line will suit Sarries to a T. Owen and Ben together will make hay.

The axial engagement change ahead of Bind, seems obvious, and Jamie had a big input to that one.

Best of all, the team yellow concept is well overdue. Automatic yellow for the specific offender after each team's every tenth penalty will force a dramatic clean up.

Many have thought for years that the increased number of tactical substitutes has led to bulking up players at the expense of safety. The idea of reducing that number appeals to me, and implementation would reduce the 60-minute re-set that is often the blight of games.

Innings

Points win matches: tries win hearts and minds.

Re: New law proposals
TonyTaff 09 August, 2019 18:38
Quote:
Innings
This needs some careful analysis, to give which I am unqualified.
The nipple-high tackle limit had to be abandoned halfway through trialling, as it resulted in an immediate and marked increase in tackler concussion. As a result, the trial new law will lower the tackle height to waist high. Cue for players to lower their bodies even more as they see a tackle arriving. A direct head-on-head collision between two players running into each other will be the inevitable result. Will the result of that lead to the first on-field death in a televised game?

A new law that gives the line-out to the kicking side after an indirect kick into touch in all areas except the opposition's 22-to-halfway line will suit Sarries to a T. Owen and Ben together will make hay.

The axial engagement change ahead of Bind, seems obvious, and Jamie had a big input to that one.

Best of all, the team yellow concept is well overdue. Automatic yellow for the specific offender after each team's every tenth penalty will force a dramatic clean up.

Many have thought for years that the increased number of tactical substitutes has led to bulking up players at the expense of safety. The idea of reducing that number appeals to me, and implementation would reduce the 60-minute re-set that is often the blight of games.

I couldn't agree more. Most tackle injuries are suffered by the tackler. It seems absurd to lower the tackle height, even more injuries to tacklers will occur.

I have no wish to watch Touch Rugby sad smiley

£721.05 (*) donated to the Saracens Foundation due to visits to the Sarries frontpage [www.rugbynetwork.net]

Please read and submit articles for publication. (*) As at October 31, 2018.

nedrichards 09 August, 2019 20:10
I'm surprised that there hasn't been more obvious attention placed on the stance and body position of the ball carrier in all these trials. There must be a reason for this, because their development process is pretty thorough.

BramleyRoad 11 August, 2019 11:36
Re tackler injuries, Youíre not wrong, in my 20 years as a pitch side medic injuries were most commonly associated with poor technique rather than height of tackles. Itís a coaching issue imo

Supporting Saracens for 52 years

Sarriebone 11 August, 2019 12:02
Something I noticed last night watching SA v ARG is that when ever a tackler tried to go low on a big ball carrier more often than not all they got was a couple of forearms to the back of the head/neck from the ball carrier trying to bump them off. Either that or the ball carrier dropped their head and shoulders to a similar level to the tackler.
If they do go ahead with the tackle law changes then I can see more of the above happening, neither of which seems particularly safe to my eyes.

The kick law seems a bit too complicated imo, makes an already complicated game worse for casual viewers.

I do like the change from 5m attacking scrum to defending drop-out for a held up ball. Currently the only reward for preventing a try in that situation is that you have to do it all again, good defence should be rewarded as should good attacking.

I'm undecided on the team yellow limit, essentially it's what we already have but is just taking the decision/pressure away from the ref. If you want to have a system like that then you need to review what you give penalties for, being pinned in after a tackle before you've had a chance to roll, for example, if that's the last of your, let's say, 10 penalty allowance should that be a yellow card given there's literally nothing you can do about it? Should a player be yellow carded if the opposition SH deliberately passes the ball in to him? As I said, I'm not convinced on that one

Garp285 11 August, 2019 13:02
Quote:
Sarriebone
Something ........
I'm undecided on the team yellow limit, essentially it's what we already have but is just taking the decision/pressure away from the ref. If you want to have a system like that then you need to review what you give penalties for, being pinned in after a tackle before you've had a chance to roll, for example, if that's the last of your, let's say, 10 penalty allowance should that be a yellow card given there's literally nothing you can do about it? Should a player be yellow carded if the opposition SH deliberately passes the ball in to him? As I said, I'm not convinced on that one
Agree re the held up point. I can see where you are coming from on the penalty/yellow card issue and maybe the refs will need to be a bit more measured in awarding penalties but that's not the point. Some are (almost) unavoidable, however, within the ten(?) there will be some that are completely avoidable! It will be harsh on the player who gets a yellow for the last infringement but this is a team punishment, so no other way in my view.

Sarriebone 11 August, 2019 13:11
Quote:
Garp285
Quote:
Sarriebone
Something ........
Agree re the held up point. I can see where you are coming from on the penalty/yellow card issue and maybe the refs will need to be a bit more measured in awarding penalties but that's not the point. Some are (almost) unavoidable, however, within the ten(?) there will be some that are completely avoidable! It will be harsh on the player who gets a yellow for the last infringement but this is a team punishment, so no other way in my view.

Oh absolutely I have no issue with avoidable things being penalised but as it stands avoidable or unavoidable result in the same outcome... For the sake of arguement Team A have been penalised 9 times, 5 of those for unavoidable offences (unlikely, but it's just a for instance), does the next penalty deserve to be sent off? If they proceed with the regs as they are then the player comitting the offence is gone for 10. Could lead to a lot more milking (or at least attempts to milk) penalties from the ref, something I think there's too much of as it is. For me, if they want to bring this in then they need to take a long hard look at how nd what penalties are awarded for.

Garp285 11 August, 2019 20:21
[quote Sarriebone][quote Garp285][quote Sarriebone]Something ........coming from on the penalty/yellow card issue and maybe the refs will need to be a bit more measured in awarding penalties but that's not the point. Some are (almost) unavoidable, however, within the ten(?) there will be some that are completely avoidable! It will be harsh on the player who gets a yellow for the last infringement but this is a team punishment, so no other way in my view.[/quote]

Oh absolutely I have no issue with avoidable things being penalised but as it stands avoidable or unavoidable result in the same outcome... For the sake of arguement Team A have been penalised 9 times, 5 of those for unavoidable offences (unlikely, but it's just a for instance), does the next penalty deserve to be sent off? If they proceed with the regs as they are then the player comitting the offence is gone for 10. Could lead to a lot more milking (or at least attempts to milk) penalties from the ref, something I think there's too much of as it is. For me, if they want to bring this in then they need to take a long hard look at how nd what penalties are awarded for.[/quote]
But the aim of this law will be to cut out those other 4, avoidable pens, so you never get to the 9. Whether that would ever work, I don't know but may be worth a try (attempt, not score &#128521winking smiley

Sarriebone 11 August, 2019 21:06
[quote Garp285][quote Sarriebone][quote Garp285][quote Sarriebone]Something ........coming from on the penalty/yellow card issue and maybe the refs will need to be a bit more measured in awarding penalties but that's not the point. Some are (almost) unavoidable, however, within the ten(?) there will be some that are completely avoidable! It will be harsh on the player who gets a yellow for the last infringement but this is a team punishment, so no other way in my view.[/quote]

Oh absolutely I have no issue with avoidable things being penalised but as it stands avoidable or unavoidable result in the same outcome... For the sake of arguement Team A have been penalised 9 times, 5 of those for unavoidable offences (unlikely, but it's just a for instance), does the next penalty deserve to be sent off? If they proceed with the regs as they are then the player comitting the offence is gone for 10. Could lead to a lot more milking (or at least attempts to milk) penalties from the ref, something I think there's too much of as it is. For me, if they want to bring this in then they need to take a long hard look at how nd what penalties are awarded for.[/quote]

But the aim of this law will be to cut out those other 4, avoidable pens, so you never get to the 9. Whether that would ever work, I don't know but may be worth a try (attempt, not score &#128521winking smiley[/quote]

Don't think you'll ever get rid of them, it's just human nature

Primavesi2 12 August, 2019 12:37
The tackle height change is absurd as our own (kind of) Brendan Venter has been pointing out this week on twitter.

I like the 50/22 kick rule as it should result in a more spaces, more line breaks and ironically, less kicking.
Also agree with the ball being held up resulting in a turnover, the only exception I would make is that if the decision goes to the TMO and it is inconclusive if the try was scored, in that circumstance I think the attacking team should get the scrum as before.

TonyTaff 12 August, 2019 17:22
If there's going to be a topping up procedure, there needs to be strict sanctions against 'milking'

Any scrum half who throws the ball at a retreating prop should be immediately hung drawn and quartered - it's the only language they understand winking smiley

£721.05 (*) donated to the Saracens Foundation due to visits to the Sarries frontpage [www.rugbynetwork.net]

Squawker2 13 August, 2019 01:14
Quote:
TonyTaff
If there's going to be a topping up procedure, there needs to be strict sanctions against 'milking'
Any scrum half who throws the ball at a retreating prop should be immediately hung drawn and quartered - it's the only language they understand winking smiley

Two things:

1) You clearly know props who are more energetic than I was, if they actually get round to retreating (Sm14)

2)...can we just move immediately to hanging the scrum halves, they chose to be backs, their fate is already sealed?

-----------------------------------------------------

Stuart Barnes is a Cock Womble

TonyTaff 13 August, 2019 17:35
Modern day props are trained to be able to emulate the expression of a puppy next to a puddle on the cream Axminster.

... but they are supposed to run away winking smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net