rugbyunion
Latest News:

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Re: Gethin Jenkins
marshie10 (IP Logged)
11 January, 2012 14:51
I've heard Flatman's game time will be a lot less next season. With Carraro not being a "foreign" player next year, I'd move for one of the Franks brothers.

http://i54.tinypic.com/b54os4.jpghttp://i56.tinypic.com/2z57ns0.jpghttp://i53.tinypic.com/s6umg9.jpghttp://i53.tinypic.com/mvrxjr.jpg

Bod (IP Logged)
11 January, 2012 15:01
Quote:
marshie10
I'd move for one of the Franks brothers.

Ben or Owen ?

I doubt if Bath could afford either of them - and either way I can't see them moving far before 2016

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_dOg4Ljp3kh8/Sf89bRrqecI/AAAAAAAAAJY/eJCF1kt4b0E/s200/DON%27T-SHOOT-THE-MESSENGER1.jpg

ballsout (IP Logged)
11 January, 2012 15:54
Ben's nothing special, but Owen would be a quality signing.

Bod (IP Logged)
11 January, 2012 15:58
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_1B3xgWrSrD8/TBe9DKcUO5I/AAAAAAAAFLE/WU-BD-d6Kzs/s320/abs+in+white.jpg

How about that front 3?

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_dOg4Ljp3kh8/Sf89bRrqecI/AAAAAAAAAJY/eJCF1kt4b0E/s200/DON%27T-SHOOT-THE-MESSENGER1.jpg

Puxonian (IP Logged)
11 January, 2012 16:12
How dare they play in all white (Sm19)(Sm19)(Sm19)

11 January, 2012 17:51
We can't have Owen Franks, Beaver and Sonny Bill Williams in the side, lads!(Sm102)

m0rris (IP Logged)
11 January, 2012 18:04
Obviously not... SBW has been strongly liinked with the Roosters (NRL). we'll have to find another centre.

charlieboa (IP Logged)
13 January, 2012 19:04
never thought i would be slightly negative about possibly signing gethin jenkins but certainly have a few concerns.

his game is based around mobility and he will be 32 in november. i assume he will make the lions squad and players rarely come back from those mentally or physically fresh. also we have 3 senior looseheads already and only 2 senior tightheads plus newport. signing another loosehead and potentially letting bell and lilley go seems a bit high risk to me as none of those looseheads can cover tighthead imho.

hes a class player and will improve us but if hes marquee i would be a tiny bit underwhelmed personally (know thats harsh).

Isaac Dix (IP Logged)
14 January, 2012 00:21
The "average at best" scrummaging loosehead. (Sm22)

Gethin Jenkins - Scrum Time

Playing for the British Lions Test side? Stuffing one of the best scrummaging nations in World Rugby in their own back yard? See for yourselves. Definately average at best. (Sm22)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/01/2012 00:31 by Isaac Dix.

tigeroo (IP Logged)
14 January, 2012 00:45
I was wondering how long until naive Isaac Dix turns up, to stick up for Jenkins. Ask any knowledgeable Welsh rugby fan and they'll tell you Jenkins' scrummaging isn't his strong suit.

Shame there's no Youtube clip of Jenkins being demolished by Vickery a few months later in the Amlin QF Cardiff v Wasps. That must have been embarrassing.

Isaac Dix (IP Logged)
14 January, 2012 13:59
Quote:
Tigeroo
I was wondering how long until naive Isaac Dix turns up, to stick up for Jenkins. Ask any knowledgeable Welsh rugby fan and they'll tell you Jenkins' scrummaging isn't his strong suit.
You are like a stuck record Tigeroo. So predictable .You will pick up on something that one or two people posted on a forum somewhere and take that as fact. Those one or two posters will then miraculously turn into all knowledgeable Welsh Rugby fans.
I am a knowledgeable Welsh fan Tigeroo you quite clearly are not. Many knowlegable Welsh fans will tell you Gethin is a very good prop.
In fact I was chatting to Adam Jones about this very subject in my sons school sports presentation quite recently.I asked him. Who is the best scrummager Gethin Jenkins or Paul James? Completely different styles he said. One of most annoying looseheads to play against is Gethin Jenkins he said. Hard to move Gethin. He will hold you and stop you from getting the upper hand. Paul will attack the Tighthead. There you are Tigeroo. If in doubt ask an expert. (Sm14)

cheekywatson (IP Logged)
14 January, 2012 14:11
Quote:
tigeroo
Shame there's no Youtube clip of Jenkins being demolished by Vickery a few months later in the Amlin QF Cardiff v Wasps. That must have been embarrassing.
yeah, well he's better than ayerza.

Isaac Dix (IP Logged)
14 January, 2012 20:44
Quote:
Tigeroo

No you tube clip? Strange that Tigeroo. Did you make that up? Can't seem to remember that and I watched the game. Don't tell me.....you read it on a forum (Sm6) Besides, I thought you followed the Tigers not Wasps? (Sm7)
The fact is you have no idea what you are talking about. Never have. Did you actually find a knowledgeable Welsh fan that said Jenkins' scrummaging is not his strong point? I doubt you did. He is a scrummaging prop. If he wasn't then he wouldn't be playing there would he. Gethin is known for his all round abitility....yes. Yet you seem to try and convince everyone that he is only good in the loose etc. Knowledgeable Rugby fans focus on what more he brings to the game other than just scrummaging. Why else do you think he gets picked for the Lions time and time again? It's not naivety Tigeroo. It's just that you are ignorant or blinkered. Probably both.

Bod (IP Logged)
14 January, 2012 22:36
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRszBwJsCcLtj8V0tE0igoqRSzIqwBN-szd7hweRoaeawRo-xGF1TzUEr0HYA

Here's yer man Isaac!

mines a black rat (IP Logged)
15 January, 2012 10:58
(Sm22) Like it Bod

Have you found the Black Rat?? I have!!

http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/x373/minesablackrat/Blackrat.jpg

Isaac Dix (IP Logged)
15 January, 2012 18:53
(Sm6) Brilliant Ex-Bod.

In the land of the blind...Tigeroo is king. (Sm79)

tigeroo (IP Logged)
15 January, 2012 19:14
"In the land of the blind...Tigeroo is king"

Rich coming from you, living in your own little world Isaac, oblivious as always. Please spend some time on gwladrugby.com, you might learn a thing or two about your players and team. Ask them about Jenkins scrummaging. You probably thought Wales fans everywhere had nothing but good things to say about Gatland all these years since he joined or that everyone in Wales loves Gavin Henson. The amount you are detached from the real world is amusing.

As for Adam Jones' question-dodging opinion, you may as well have asked Gethin's mum how much of a lovely boy her son is. It'd have the same amount of credibility. Even Gatland admitted scrummaging wasn't Jenkins' strong point, because it isn't. Even Bath fans on here can see that. As for Wasps v Cardiff, Jenkins was taken to the cleaners by Vickery in that game, ask anyone who remembers it. Find a copy of the match somewhere, PLEASE. Read some match reports, maybe they'll mention it. I'll never forget Jenkins' face when Wales were one collapsed scrum away from a penalty try under their own posts, against Samoa a few years back. Keep living in your own little bubble of ignorance Isaac.

charlieboa (IP Logged)
15 January, 2012 20:33
if i were spending huge money on a prop about to turn 32 i think i would be more comfortable if he had forged his reputation based on his ability in the tight rather than in the loose personally but thats just me.

Isaac Dix (IP Logged)
16 January, 2012 00:22
Quote:
Tigeroo
Rich coming from you, living in your own little world Isaac, oblivious as always. Please spend some time on gwladrugby.com, you might learn a thing or two about your players and team. Ask them about Jenkins scrummaging. You probably thought Wales fans everywhere had nothing but good things to say about Gatland all these years since he joined or that everyone in Wales loves Gavin Henson. The amount you are detached from the real world is amusing.
(Sm45)For goodness sake Tigeroo. Snap out of it. Get out and watch the game. Speak to the players. Play the game. Your ignorance is laughable. You don't learn everything on forums. (Sm164)
GwladRugby is a forum of which I am very familiar with thanks Tigeroo. Been on there many, many times. I don't need to read forums to know about Welsh Rugby. I played the game for years. Followed Pontypridd all my life since I was young enough to remember. I am from a Rugby playing family. I think I know a thing or two about Welsh Rugby dont you. (Sm154)
I have watched Gethin Jenkins play for Pontypridd, Celtic Warriors Cardiff Blues, Wales and the British Lions. I have spoken with him many times. I have spoken with many other current and ex internationals. I know Gethin for goodness sake.(Sm6) I do live in the real world Tigeroo. South Wales is a small place. You see these players in the street all the time.

Isaac Dix (IP Logged)
16 January, 2012 00:46
Quote:
Tigeroo
As for Adam Jones' question-dodging opinion, you may as well have asked Gethin's mum how much of a lovely boy her son is. It'd have the same amount of credibility. Even Gatland admitted scrummaging wasn't Jenkins' strong point, because it isn't.

Adam Jones question dodging (Sm22) Not even Adam Jones' opinion is good enough for you. Gatland never said that about Gethins scrummaging Tigeroo. You have mis-quoted something Gatland said about Paul James when Gethin was injured. I have picked you up on it before. Yet you still ignore it. (Sm154) Get your facts straight. (Sm154)

tigeroo (IP Logged)
16 January, 2012 01:16
Bored of this now, but after 2 minutes of searching...

Brynmore Williams: "Paul James might be the better scrummager but Gethin has so many dimensions to his game"

Matthew Rees: “Paul James is a better scrummager than Gethin Jenkins. Don’t tell Gethin that.”

Gatland: "You could argue that Paul James is a better scrummager than Gethin,"

Dan Cole: "He is not as big a name as Jenkins but I reckon he's a better scrummager."

Quote:
if i were spending huge money on a prop about to turn 32 i think i would be more comfortable if he had forged his reputation based on his ability in the tight rather than in the loose personally but thats just me.

Exactly. I'm sure you lot wouldn't like another Lewis Moody.

Benger_Boy (IP Logged)
16 January, 2012 08:14
If all you want to do is slag each other off can you go elsewhere or just PM each other. I read the new posts on this thread hoping there would be some news or at least a decent rumour or some interesting insight not a playground squabble.

16 January, 2012 13:14
With due respect, Tigeroo, Jenkins has, I think, about 7 Lions caps and 70+ caps for Wales, so he's doing something right somewhere.

At Cardiff, he usually has two lightweight locks in the form of either Deniol Jones or Paul Tito shoving him, which makes a huge sum of difference to how a front row operates.

callmeMrTibbs (IP Logged)
16 January, 2012 14:16
Quote:
Benger_Boy
If all you want to do is slag each other off can you go elsewhere or just PM each other. I read the new posts on this thread hoping there would be some news or at least a decent rumour or some interesting insight not a playground squabble.

(Sm152)

Jaydeeone (IP Logged)
16 January, 2012 14:28
Awwww...spoil sports. I was enjoying that. I love good argument! (Sm145)

FourSticks (IP Logged)
16 January, 2012 22:30

Bri (IP Logged)
16 January, 2012 23:42
Why would they want to spend that sort of money on him , he can't scrummage.

Bod (IP Logged)
16 January, 2012 23:52
Same as Sheridan who looks like going there as well Brian

18 January, 2012 13:23
Am not convinced this isn't just a bit of fluff and bluster from the agents as they already have two or three looseheads on their books, and two more top internationals will overcrowd the situation if either wants to play for a Lions role.

tigeroo (IP Logged)
22 January, 2012 15:59
Cardiff getting humped in the scrum with Gethin on, he goes off, Yapp comes on and Cardiff put in an almighty shove at the scrum to win a penalty. Standard.

Bri (IP Logged)
22 January, 2012 16:41
We would be mad to judge on one scrum or one game,Let hope we don't make the same mistake as tigers,signing that lump Brookes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 22/01/2012 16:42 by Brian4455.

Bod (IP Logged)
25 January, 2012 18:02

stephen4944 (IP Logged)
12 February, 2012 17:44
More banter on Twitter between Belly and Flatman that hints towards Jenkins heading our way?:

duncanbell3 @davidflatman how good is Gethin Jenkins??? Wish we had him...

davidflatman @duncanbell3 Not watching. Too painful. If you get a new car can I have a lift to the job centre please?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2012 17:45 by stephen4944.

Blocks2u (IP Logged)
16 February, 2012 10:13
Reports in the chron today that Bath are no longer pursuing Jenkins

[www.thisisbath.co.uk]?

Edit. forgot link (Sm16)

Ian

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 16/02/2012 10:14 by Blocks2u.

gaz909 (IP Logged)
16 February, 2012 10:54
grat piece of endorsement for catt and beech, like it a lot

Bathovalballer (IP Logged)
16 February, 2012 11:38
Think in longer term rather have Catt and Beech!

Bod (IP Logged)
20 February, 2012 23:53
Toulon it is!

So,their Prop options consist of Gethin, Sheridan, Hayman and Kubriashvili.
Awesome eh BC2?

ballsout (IP Logged)
21 February, 2012 00:09
They like their scrummagers in France, wouldn't be surprised if both fit, Sheridan will start most games.

m0rris (IP Logged)
21 February, 2012 00:10
The wheels on the bus come off, off, off etc etc.

I can't believe we let this one go. To have him apparently "in the bag" and then we suddenly turn around and say we don't want him is ridiculous.

How many signings was it supposed to be 5?

ballsout (IP Logged)
21 February, 2012 00:13
We'll end up with more second rate nothing signings like Webber, Day...

Bod (IP Logged)
21 February, 2012 00:17
Keep an eye on Gethin - I was over at a rugby age-group regions coaching session in Caerphilly tonight, and the opinion is that Gethin is a home boy, and might only last a season away. Maybe get him at Bath for 2013/14 if he gets homesick?

ballsout (IP Logged)
21 February, 2012 00:22
He'll be even more past it by then

Bod (IP Logged)
21 February, 2012 00:31
Quote:
ballsout
He'll be even more past it by then

I'm sure you know much, but there is much you don't know.

ballsout (IP Logged)
21 February, 2012 00:38
Signing a 33 year old, one who bases his game around his ability to get round the field as a flanker... a sign of ambition?

Can't see him as first choice at Toulon if Sheridan is fit.

Bath Fan Jack (IP Logged)
21 February, 2012 08:05
Please can we develop our own players and give them game time!

Then we might get a reputation for doing that and then other talented youngsters might join us because they stand a chance of development.

Bod (IP Logged)
21 February, 2012 08:50
Why can't Bath adopt a Welsh regional type structure. Newport Gwent Dragons (and the other regions) have their academy players allocated to the local semi-pro clubs (Cross Keys, Pontypool, Bedwas and Newport) and, along with their ongoing central development through coaching, they get regular rugby, but are immediately accessible to the Senior team if needed.
Bath could have (?) Chippenham,Taunton, Keynsham ?
Just a thought.

Bri (IP Logged)
21 February, 2012 08:52
Would have thought Bod other than Taunton for the younger ones ie Tanner, the other local clubs play at a to lower standard.

Bod (IP Logged)
21 February, 2012 09:10
.........but strive to play higher, so a regular supply of academy players might rub off both ways.
Game time is what is needed, and strengthening local links and loyalties.

Bri (IP Logged)
21 February, 2012 09:41
I'm sure they get tO a certain standard and have to move.A 18 Heathcote would be wasted at Chippenham and would only be able to stay at Taunton for a few games before you would have to move him on again.Better off training with the first teamers,A league games,the odd bench,then on loan to national1 or Championship,mixed in with age group rep.
You would learn nothing from playing with a lower standard team.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 21/02/2012 09:47 by Brian4455.

Bod (IP Logged)
22 February, 2012 09:44
Gats not happy

Consistency is the ongoing issue with the performances of many Bath players. Some of the higher profile players could do with a few games for Chippenham or Taunton just to sharpen their ambition from time to time. I don't believe any of the squad or academy have a divine right to play at AP level just because they have a Bath contract. They should fight for their places and also become less injury prone.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net