rugbyunion
Latest News:

Current Page: 1 of 15
New Signings for 2012
noidea (IP Logged)
11 January, 2012 11:30
OK it's 2012 so we should soon have some new contracts announced, I understand we are looking for about 4 new players & a marquee player. Where should we be recruiting?

I would go for the following:

Hooker (Brits would be fantastic,Webber good)
Prop (Someone scary)
No8 (Ben Morgan - just being greedy really)
Scrum half (Claassy needs more competition)
Wing (the whippet from wasps would be good)

Re: New Signings for 2012
m0rris (IP Logged)
11 January, 2012 11:43
I'd say Hooker... with either Brits (unlikely) or Webber (much more likely!!).
Prop, deffo Loosehead probably not tighthead as I think we are lowly getting there with KPN, Davey and Ant.
Lock, I'd like another massive heavy lock so we can at least have some rotation/depth there.
No8... don't particularly need anyone but if BM is going spare it'd be rude not to.
Wing, if we can find a devastating winger then yes otherwise no.

SH I don't think needs to be altered as by next season I expect that Cook will be snapping at Claassy's heels.

Bri (IP Logged)
11 January, 2012 11:52
Hooker a must,loose head a must,big all carrying no 8 a must then we would have a good pack.
Tight head 23/24 year old a possibly,
Backs I'd stick with for now,hopeing Eastmond comes good.
IMHO until we have these three must we won't challenge for any of the big prizes.

Bod (IP Logged)
11 January, 2012 11:54
I think the coaching set-up needs clarifying before deciding who we wish to sign. The coaching philosophy will determine the players acquired and their length of contract....and some players might play for some and not for others.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_dOg4Ljp3kh8/Sf89bRrqecI/AAAAAAAAAJY/eJCF1kt4b0E/s200/DON%27T-SHOOT-THE-MESSENGER1.jpg

Bri (IP Logged)
11 January, 2012 12:08
Quote:
Ex-Bod
I think the coaching set-up needs clarifying before deciding who we wish to sign. The coaching philosophy will determine the players acquired and their length of contract....and some players might play for some and not for others.

You would think that the deals have already been done.
Mr Blofield said awhile back that theywere going to bring in 3/4 new players,I hope it's the three I suggest but who knows we all have our opinions.

Bod (IP Logged)
11 January, 2012 12:13
The Falcons scenario must be a nightmare!!

Luckily we have them in trouble this year - otherwise our players' agents might be getting twitchy!

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_dOg4Ljp3kh8/Sf89bRrqecI/AAAAAAAAAJY/eJCF1kt4b0E/s200/DON%27T-SHOOT-THE-MESSENGER1.jpg

Bri (IP Logged)
11 January, 2012 12:17
Any players there,Hudson,van hadien the kiwi both good 2nd rows.

Puxonian (IP Logged)
11 January, 2012 12:27
Webber was very average against Tiggers at the weekend

11 January, 2012 12:31
Id like to see

Webber from Wasps (Brits would be lovely though he'd be an absoulute idiot to leave Sarries)
Id like Gethin Jenkins or Alex Corbiserio lol hey I can dream lol
2nd row Id wouldnt mind Nick Kennendy not sure who else is available??
Id like Ben Morgan but doubt he'd come tbh we've got a few in back row atm
Id leave SH and sign on MMM hes not bad tbh when hes played
Id also leave back 3 we have Biggs,Banners,Eastmond,Woodburn,Bendy,Cuthbert and Nick Scott so thats plenty!

TCM2007 (IP Logged)
11 January, 2012 12:31
Front row is the priority, it's been a right old mess for a while. Some of the individuals are fine but there's no clarity on the strategy for how they are deployed, and injuries have shown that we are light in numbers, esp with Bell and Flats on last legs.

Stuart

Former ed.

Benger_Boy (IP Logged)
11 January, 2012 12:32
His throwing in was not even average!

11 January, 2012 12:39
Webber's throwing against Leicester was average I agree my mrs could have done better than that! but hes good round the loose and in scrum and he'd be a good squad player

Kidney Stone (IP Logged)
11 January, 2012 12:41
Hooker is an absolute, along with another really useful 2nd row. Brits? Yes please!

Hudson is not a bad shout IMO, he has matured much since he left us and he has some good years left in him.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2012 13:51 by Kidney Stone.

Benger_Boy (IP Logged)
11 January, 2012 12:46
If I was to sign another lock it would be more of an big bulking one than a line out technician.

dr.bath1865 (IP Logged)
11 January, 2012 12:53
4. Attwood 5. Hudson
Would be a very, very good, balanced second row.
But is it Heineken Cup winning?? Hmm.

Bri (IP Logged)
11 January, 2012 12:56
We need to beef up the pack and not just the front row.

11 January, 2012 13:51
Just hope we bring in some good players and not struggle as we have been the last few months be good to see who comes in and who goes out

marshie10 (IP Logged)
11 January, 2012 14:44
I think Morgan is well and truly on our radar along with Brits and Jenkins. If there is a fourth signing, it might either be at lock or another in the front row. We could see Taylor used more in the second row as well.

http://i54.tinypic.com/b54os4.jpghttp://i56.tinypic.com/2z57ns0.jpghttp://i53.tinypic.com/s6umg9.jpghttp://i53.tinypic.com/mvrxjr.jpg

Bri (IP Logged)
11 January, 2012 14:58
Morgan would behold,not sure about Taylor in the second row,far to light weight for me

cheekywatson (IP Logged)
11 January, 2012 16:25
let kyle show his pace on the putch before we go for another winger.

TCM2007 (IP Logged)
11 January, 2012 16:41
Deals are being done right now, so it's a big risk to hope Kyle comes good.

Stuart

Former ed.

OutsideBath (IP Logged)
11 January, 2012 16:43
I think where we finish in the PL is going to dictate who joins us (unless we win the LV).

No top player is going to join a club that hasn't qualified for the HK.

TCM2007 (IP Logged)
11 January, 2012 16:47
Most signings are announced before the qualification is known.

Stuart

Former ed.

TCM2007 (IP Logged)
11 January, 2012 16:53
Last year for eg:

Claasy Jan
Beech Mar
Fearns Mar
Eastmond Apr
Atwood Feb

Stuart

Former ed.

OutsideBath (IP Logged)
11 January, 2012 16:54
Then I think we're going to struggle to attract top level players considering where we are right now. 6th place is technically possible, but will a player take the gamble?

TCM2007 (IP Logged)
11 January, 2012 16:58
Does it matter that much to most? I can see if you were targetting one of the EPS they'd want the best exposure but for the next level down I'm not sure it's a deal breaker. And no club can offer more than a year of Europe guaranteed.

Stuart

Former ed.

m0rris (IP Logged)
11 January, 2012 17:09
I think, should we string together some impressive performances from now until the end of the season, league position is unlikely to be a deciding factor on signings... It's not like we are Woos, Wasps, Falcons etc who will all probably go down over the next couple of years. (Granted Woos might not but there's a chance).

If we offer enough and they like our "ambition" etc etc we'll get our men. Although with some players I'm sure the lure of their mates is strong... (Schalk winking smiley )

OutsideBath (IP Logged)
11 January, 2012 17:22
I'm thinking as an example Brits, if he decided to leave Sarries would he come to Bath when we are looking uncertain for HK qualification. Lets face it Sarries seem to be guaranteed HK rugby for the foreseeable future.

If we target lesser players my next question would then be will they add value compared to what we have already.

On a general point I'd really like the scrum strengthened as for me it's key to improving our ability to compete.

@Hydor18 (IP Logged)
11 January, 2012 17:49
Would imagine that HC qualification would play second fiddle to the sum of the wedge offered.

Jenkins and Jones sounds scarily possible. Dare we hold our breath?!

Exceprt from a Q&A session with Adam Jones on the 606v2 Site:

Quote:
If Bath came knocking on your door would you be tempted to link up with Geech
again?
I think it's a good club and I'd never say never. Enjoyed working with him so who knows!!

So, two porps. If we could pick up Brits (which I don't think we will, but here's hoping) or Webber, the fourth signature I'd be seeking is that of a dogs danglies of an inside centre.

We have Olly, who is good, but is having to overcome his second major injury in as many years, which will have dented his confidence and taken a yard of pace off him. We have Sam Vesty, who is versatile but not the end product, and we have Ben Williams who is good, but hasn't set the world alight to the degree that, say, Joseph, Barritt or JTH have, and we have Heatcote, who we haven't seen enough of.

I'm firmly with Brian Ashton in thinking 12 is the key position to make your backs tick. I'd be looking to sign someone like Ma'a Nonu or Frans Steyn to bring a completely new dimension to our midfield.

noidea (IP Logged)
11 January, 2012 17:50
If we were to sign Morgan would that negate the need for another big lump at lock?

I have always thought that it's preferable to have a big mobile backrower type (Beastie / Taylor) in the 2nd row over a big lump that doesn't add that much in the loose.

@Hydor18 (IP Logged)
11 January, 2012 17:52
Morgan still has a year left in the Principality.

Bathovalballer (IP Logged)
11 January, 2012 17:53
must strenghthen the scrum to ensure we win some decent ball!

We need at least one big nasty second row who can really 'punch' his weight in more ways than one! That Manoa at Saints looks the part, or a retirement job for Brad Thorn or my choice Bakkies Botha.

Not many NH men about unless we can attract a Frenchman like Nallee.

Yes another big scrummaging hooker who offers lots around the field and Brits would be excellent. Young George at Sarries is also very good and could learn from Mearsy, assuming he stays.

Would like a big strong loose head like Wood or Mullan who also offer lots around the field but are very good strong scrummagers. I feel any forward must be able to run and handle the ball and carry well. This is an area IMHO where some of the Bath pack do not offer the same especailly Flats and Wilson.

Forget sppending money on the backs until we have sorted the pack out.

Bri (IP Logged)
11 January, 2012 18:00
I hear what your saying aboutb Williams RCC but having watched him very closely at UTD games at Newburywhen they were a good side I believe injury free he is a top dog centre.A better centre than HIpkiss and Banners and certainly better the Hape and he was picked for England,
If he would have stayed injury free this term I would of felt he would be in the Saxon squad.

johnnyf (IP Logged)
11 January, 2012 18:16
We're going to win the LV Cup - so HC qualification is not on the agenda!

Bathovalballer (IP Logged)
11 January, 2012 18:21
Hope you are right johnnyf and another good reason to ensure we have a ccredible second row against Saints!

Bri (IP Logged)
11 January, 2012 18:25
I really can't see us winning the next two LV games,Northampton at home and Exeter away.

Article in the telegraph saying, Narraway off to Northampton.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2012 18:34 by Brian4455.

11 January, 2012 19:15
I was thinking about Morgan playing for bath then it got ruined by somebody saying he wasnt goin anywhere till 2013 lol
IMO bar one or two players Meehan didnt make a@#$%&signing in his 5 yrs at Bath so its going to be interesting who SIM brings in?

Puxonian (IP Logged)
11 January, 2012 19:49
Quote:
Brian4455
I really can't see us winning the next two LV games,Northampton at home and Exeter away.

If we are to achieve anything tangible this season Exeter away is a must win IMO

cheekywatson (IP Logged)
11 January, 2012 21:13
Quote:
TCM2007
Deals are being done right now, so it's a big risk to hope Kyle comes good.
he will come good since he's been burning everyone in training

annie blackthorn (IP Logged)
11 January, 2012 21:49
Didnt Steyn come and spend some time at the Royal Crescent in the summer as a guest of Mr C, or am I confusing him with Louw - or did they both do so? Anyone remember?

Maybe we should not be so exercised about which players, as to which Coaches as players follow coaches, or not - as the case maybe. 'fraid my opinion of where Bath is currently means that maybe we won't get the best available.

Adoptee for 2017/18 James Phillips - newly arrived and bringing a wealth of experience in the Prem!

TCM2007 (IP Logged)
11 January, 2012 21:53
RCC, so with Olly, Vesty, Williams and potentially Eastmond and Heathote you think 12 is a weakness? OK.....

Stuart

Former ed.

soapinthebath (IP Logged)
11 January, 2012 22:22
I can't see us getting in a LHP unless we loan out NC/CB as we did with Jonny F. Putting gametime in either/both steadily ahead of Flats will remove the need for a replacement in the longer term.

Hooker is a must, possibly 2. Webber would be good and Vickers at Newcastle is big and physical but for a few injuries in the last 12 months. There will also be a few Currie Cup/ Super 15 bench level players around who will probably thrive in the AP like Brits did. He wasn't special before moving to Sarries (Excuse the pun)

A Lock is also a must and I would love to steal either Ed Slater, Skivington or Mafi from Tigers. Damien Welch at the Scarlets is quite underrated too.

I think competition for Bendy at 15 would be good too, I don't think Cuthbert/Vesty put enough pressure on him although maybe Eastmond could be this guy.

http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/7273/tindalleu1.jpg

welcome back tins...

@Hydor18 (IP Logged)
11 January, 2012 23:09
Stuart, I think that we need an inside centre for exactly the same reason that with Flats, Beech, Catty, and, if needs be, Belly, AP and Davey you think we need a loosehead prop.

None of the incumbents are good enough.

Benger_Boy (IP Logged)
12 January, 2012 07:09
It would take a decent chunck of the cap to get a better 12 than Olly. Money that could go to much better use elsewhere. The midfield would be the one area I would have almost no intrest what so ever in signing anyone.

Bri (IP Logged)
12 January, 2012 07:45
Maybe 12 is a area we should look at,would you think Olly has lost a bit of pace,hard to see has he seems to have a good rugby brain and generally makes the right decisions.
One thing for sure next season we will have no excuses with the money that has been spent and the recruitment.

Bod (IP Logged)
12 January, 2012 08:06
Quote:
Brian4455
One thing for sure next season we will have no excuses with the money that has been spent and the recruitment.

You can bet there'll be plenty...it'll be interesting to see who ends up as the fall guy(s).

Bri (IP Logged)
12 January, 2012 08:19
You can bet there'll be plenty...it'll be interesting to see who ends up as the fall guy(s).[/quote]

I am hoping we will be a top four club next season but IF it goes pear shape it will be interesting.

Old Bathonian (IP Logged)
12 January, 2012 09:04
Quote:
TCM2007
RCC, so with Olly, Vesty, Williams and potentially Eastmond and Heathote you think 12 is a weakness? OK.....

So you think Vesty, Williams(more a 13?), Eastmond(who has not evenplayed yet!) and Heathcote(a FH) give cover for OB.

An outstanding 12 would be an excellent signing, the problem is I can't think of one......

Bod (IP Logged)
12 January, 2012 09:15
Me-too ,Sorries style, boredom-ball looks increasingly the way forward being prepared.

TCM2007 (IP Logged)
12 January, 2012 09:29
Did you post that in the right thread Bod?

Stuart

Former ed.

Current Page: 1 of 15

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net