Latest News:
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Match Preview - Opportunity Knocks
Posted by: BathRugbyEre.co.uk (IP Logged)
Date: 25 January, 2012 18:42

What do you think? You can have your say by posting below.
If you do not already have an account Click here to Register.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 28/01/2012 18:50 by Susanne.

Re: Match Preview - Opportunity Knocks
Posted by: Gareth Redux (IP Logged)
Date: 25 January, 2012 22:14

Ed, nice piece. There's one other factor in the mix here.....confidence. As a club, Northampton's will be generally high whatever squad they put out, ours will be generally pants whatever squad we put out. In a game of fractions, that counts. I know I'll not be popular saying it but confidence is shot and leadership is needed in absolute spades to see us through even against a weakened Saints side. Let's hope the pressure of this being almost our last chance of HEC qualification doesn't get to the players and they go out to play rugby.

Posted by: Stuart Anderton (IP Logged)
Date: 25 January, 2012 22:20

Possibly Gareth, but they just got humiliating tonked by an Irish side and dumped out the HC (sound familiar?), so hopefully that confidence won't be at an all time high.

Stuart

Editor of Come On My Lovers

Follow COML on Twitter

Posted by: Benger_Boy (IP Logged)
Date: 26 January, 2012 07:20

Lancaster said yesterday that players coming back from injury, such as Lawes, will need a game under their belts so they probably won't play against Scotland. Not sure if he is fit yet but if so I guess he could be released this weekend. Also if this is his thinking then may mean that Mears will get released to get match fit. I would also think that this means there isn't much chance of Atwood getting released if Lawes does.

Posted by: Tricky=Legend (IP Logged)
Date: 26 January, 2012 10:17

I thought that Lawes was certain to miss the Scotland game at least as he is still injured so I would doubt he is fit for this weekend. As I said in the preview, I think it's likely Mears will get a release because he's played so little all season (hardly got any RWC game time early on and then was injured).

Our record this year is won 2 lost 1 so I'm not sure about confidence. I think it could be an issue, but with home advantage against a weakened Saints team the team should be feeling pretty good.

The frustrating thing for us all is which Bath team will show up? The London Irish team, or the team we've seen for much of the season? I guess we'll know on Saturday!

Posted by: Rucking Carl (IP Logged)
Date: 26 January, 2012 10:20

Tricky, we're 2 and 2 this year. Although as some people thought we'd be 0 and 4 that's a definite improvement.

Everything I have posted here is my opinion, it in no way reflects actual fact, except when it actually does, although that will not be often.

Please do not take offence if I call your favourite player rubbish or say he plays out of position.

I am entitled to my opinion and you are entitled to yours. Mine is most likely to be right though.

I also think cricket is rubbish! This is fact.

Posted by: Tricky=Legend (IP Logged)
Date: 26 January, 2012 11:12

My mistake, yes, we are 2 and 2.

I've also just seen that Abendanon hasn't been selected in the Saxons squad (no idea what Armitage has done to be selected ahead of him) so hopefully we will see him in the 15 shirt on Saturday.

Posted by: callmeMrTibbs (IP Logged)
Date: 26 January, 2012 11:46

Hasn't Carraro gone home to get wed? I'm pretty sure he's not available.

Posted by: OutsideBath (IP Logged)
Date: 26 January, 2012 13:18

Quote:
callmeMrTibbs
Hasn't Carraro gone home to get wed? I'm pretty sure he's not available.

Doesn't seem right to allow a player to miss games for a wedding, he's paid to play for Bath rugby.

Date: 26 January, 2012 13:36

Merely speculating (OK Gareth?) but I suspect that an LV weekend would have looked like a good one to miss when a wedding would have been organised.

Stuart

Follow COML on Twitter

Date: 26 January, 2012 13:51

I guess when the coaches agreed to this they didn't realise how important the LV cup would be this season (basically our only realistic way in to the HK). Still seems daft to me though, it could have been arranged for the summer.

Date: 26 January, 2012 14:01

OB, in Australia it IS the summer!

Date: 26 January, 2012 14:18

Quote:
Gareth Redux
OB, in Australia it IS the summer!

I meant our summer when there aren't and Bath matches.

Date: 26 January, 2012 14:28

My point is all his (and no doubt her) family are in Aus and people like to get married in the summer. Are you saying he should get married in the winter just for us?

Date: 26 January, 2012 14:42

He's a well paid professional sportsman, so yes

Date: 26 January, 2012 14:44

Hmmmm

Date: 26 January, 2012 16:33

It's tricky isn't it.

You kind of feel that everyone should be able to play in all games, but because there is a game every weekend from mid-August (training starts in July) to early May that means that they can't take a week's holiday through nine or ten months or more, and have to take it all in a batch in June/July.

There aren't many well paid professionals who would agree to that!

Stuart

Follow COML on Twitter

Date: 26 January, 2012 19:04

Also good employers create an environment where people CAN do this sort of thing given the right notice and the right circumstances. Matt's wife to be surely deserves a wedding in her own summer surrounded by her own friends and family and Bath Rugby have already set a good precedent with another Matt.

Date: 27 January, 2012 07:02

I don't think any of our players should h e time off in the season for weddings, holidays, honeymoons ect. They are well paid to play and have a decent break in the summer.
Teachers can't take holidays in term time.

Date: 27 January, 2012 09:03

I'm glad I don't work for you. (Sm100)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 27/01/2012 09:04 by Gareth Redux.

Date: 27 January, 2012 12:15

So am I if you'd want a holliday during the 'busy' period.

Posted by: Bri (IP Logged)
Date: 27 January, 2012 12:29

There are many things I dislike about football but one thing for sure it wouldn't be allowed to happen in the season in football.it's wrong.

Date: 27 January, 2012 12:39

If you say so. I just happen to believe that enlightened employers would generally be sympathetic to such requests if done properly and well in advance. I guess I'm seeing an inference that MC is being unprofessional and I don't agree FWIW.

Date: 27 January, 2012 12:46

I see it differently,everyone know when the season starts and finishes and it should be arranged in the off season,same with Banners.yes the work at Christmas when most don't but they have a better life style than most,doing something they love,getting very well payed.
If every player took two week break through out the season,would that be ok as long as they booked it in advance.No it's wrong end of and should never have been allowed IMHO.
That said and off my chest I wish Matt and his future wife a great wedding and honeymoon,don't come back to knackered

Date: 27 January, 2012 12:49

So should players only plan to have a family in the off season? I'm not being difficult, I just feel that this is good man management. You know not every player takes a 2 week break in the season and getting married is hardly an annual affair (for most of us), so where's the problem?

Date: 27 January, 2012 12:55

I'm not sure how you can stop them having a family in the season but taking a holiday to get married is wrong as most sportsmen know.
Good man management not so sure.team management defo not.
Is that not three players that have taken a break,Banners,Carraro and Flow,how long before other girl friends say well they did it,no it's wrong IMHO and set a wrong precedence IMHO

Date: 27 January, 2012 12:59

Now if the same three were to make the same request next year I'd be with you!!! Flo and Matt want to get married in the summer, that's entirely reasonable, the SH summer is now. Should we tell all potential SH recruits that they can only marry in their winter? We're not going to agree so I'll stop now but reiterate that I think it's sound man-management.

Date: 27 January, 2012 14:02

Would have thought most pro players would know it's a waste of time asking for two week in the season as the answer normal would be,"I hope your joking",
If they are contracted to play for 32 weeks or how long it's not with a jolly in between.IMHO,and that's all it is

Date: 27 January, 2012 16:54

Remember that on any given weekend ~50% of the squad are not involved in the game - and could have gone on holiday with impugnity!

Stuart

Follow COML on Twitter

Date: 27 January, 2012 19:07

Or every other player in their position could be injured and without then we could be in serious trouble.

Date: 27 January, 2012 19:22

Sorry if we lose tomorrow I believe it was because we let our best back go away mid season,I just don't agree with it.we lost when Banners was away I think.

Date: 27 January, 2012 19:27

Ah yes that'll be the reason. (Sm147)

Date: 27 January, 2012 19:47

Of coarse I don't believe that GR it was a bit of sarcasium but we do leave our selves open for those jibes if we lose.

Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListLog In
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net