rugbyunion
Latest News:

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Donald wants to play Super 15 again
Bathbadger (IP Logged)
07 February, 2012 21:09
Short and sweet piece from NZ

"The World Cup-winning first five says he's struggling to adapt to the conservative English game

Donald has told Radio Sport he will return to New Zealand to play again after his two-year contract with Bath expires."

Cheers,

Rich
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f12/bathbadger/userbar677437ny4.gif
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f12/bathbadger/Bathsmall.gifhttp://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f12/bathbadger/sp001-6.jpghttp://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f12/bathbadger/31f41b8d-9586-4692-88f7-9a985f510610.png
Luke Arscott - Adopted Player 2014/15

Re: Donald wants to play Super 15 again
Bod (IP Logged)
07 February, 2012 21:17
Now we know why Butch and Luke really decided to bu99er off home thanks to the dross SIM preaches - ho hum, happy days!

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_dOg4Ljp3kh8/Sf89bRrqecI/AAAAAAAAAJY/eJCF1kt4b0E/s200/DON%27T-SHOOT-THE-MESSENGER1.jpg

B4thB4ck (IP Logged)
07 February, 2012 21:23
Bod, you're just upset you didn't post the (non) story first!

Have to say I'm enjoying watching him recently. A bit like Butch but a better passer and without the clothes line tackles.

CountryMike (IP Logged)
07 February, 2012 21:26
Firstly, there could easily be some reading between the lines, especially given the length of the article.

Secondly, shut up Bod. We know you don't like Geech, message received and understood, reading you loud and clear on that one. Perhaps you could refrain from reminding us every b100dy time you decide to "contribute".

Bod (IP Logged)
07 February, 2012 21:34
The "Marquee" signing has been here 5 mins and is already making noises in the media about moving home? Take off the blinkers you appologists for the existing team management and try to fathom why?

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_dOg4Ljp3kh8/Sf89bRrqecI/AAAAAAAAAJY/eJCF1kt4b0E/s200/DON%27T-SHOOT-THE-MESSENGER1.jpg

ballsout (IP Logged)
07 February, 2012 21:46
Quote:
CountryMike
Firstly, there could easily be some reading between the lines, especially given the length of the article.
Secondly, shut up Bod. We know you don't like Geech, message received and understood, reading you loud and clear on that one. Perhaps you could refrain from reminding us every b100dy time you decide to "contribute".

This.

Bod, please give it a rest. You don't rate the current management, WE GET IT. Try contributing something else FFS

Stuart Anderton (IP Logged)
07 February, 2012 22:15
I'd want hear the interview before reading anything into it. I can easily imagine how an innocuous chat about things being a bit slow to click in Bath, and him keeping his post contract options open could be reported like that.

Stuart

Editor of Come On My Lovers

Don't be a grey outline, set up your avatar

Join the COML Facebook Group

Follow COML on Twitter

07 February, 2012 22:34
Ok listened to the interview; he talks about having a contract for a couple of years and then "seeing how it goes from there", but he would like to play again in NZ at some level.

He talks frankly about how it's taking a while to adapt as the European style is very different to what he's used to.

I'm sure Bod would read his words as a criticism of SIM, but the context is a light hearted interview on a New Zealand talk show - it's the interviewer who pushes the point on "10 man rugby" and the like, and it's clear they are talking about the difference between NZ and England, not anything to do with Bath specifically.

Basically no story here, nothing to see, move along...

Stuart

Follow COML on Twitter

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2012 22:40 by TCM2007.

Donald wants to go home
9215 (IP Logged)
07 February, 2012 20:20
Says he'll go back to NZ once he's done two years here. Enough time for Heathcote to step up?

[url=http://[nz.sports.yahoo.com]]Link[/url]

Re: Donald wants to go home
comedowner (IP Logged)
07 February, 2012 20:33
Down to earth statement made with honesty, Tom should be ready to step in by then

BathBeaver (IP Logged)
07 February, 2012 21:11
As long as he fulfills his contract we can't complain.
Don't know how long ago the radio interview was, but hopefully the upturn in Bath's form will make him happier.
Be very surprised if Heathcote is made first choice 10 on Donald's departure. The coaches do not have a good track record when it comes to youth. Expect the club to buy in a high profile replacement.

joethefanatic (IP Logged)
07 February, 2012 21:23
My impression so far is that Beaver is mainly struggling to keep up with the more conservative English game. A fine 10 with a fine eye for a pass but not the most fleet of foot that we have seen.

... IMHO, of course.

Now in Honolulu

Bod (IP Logged)
07 February, 2012 21:27
He's probably bored witless by the Bath Rugby philosophy and lack of playing ambition - I reckon he'll be gone during the summer

Frome Lurkers (IP Logged)
07 February, 2012 21:39
ex-bod yawn yawn

soapinthebath (IP Logged)
07 February, 2012 21:56
I would put that to him as a challenge to expand our game then. The 10 has the ability to control the nature of the game and so I would hope that he speaks to SIM about how strategy and subtle changes may help him AND the side. It's not like he is a winger getting 2 touches each game.

He has put up far too many high kicks for my liking, whether that's a team tactic or his choice I'm not sure, but I would prefer turnover ball to be flung out wide instead of given back with a gain of 20 metres.

http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/7273/tindalleu1.jpg

welcome back tins...

BathBeaver (IP Logged)
07 February, 2012 22:04
Can't be sure if he is struggling with the English style or Bath's style of play.

07 February, 2012 23:07
Listen for yourself:

[www.radiosport.co.nz]

Stuart

Follow COML on Twitter

retired (IP Logged)
07 February, 2012 23:38
Stuart
Thanks for that link, context is very important, as are facts. Non story.

Rucking Carl (IP Logged)
08 February, 2012 07:51
I was always under the impression that he was only planning to be here for his current contract and then to try and get back into the S15(16) to make an attempt to get back in the NZ squad for the 2015 RWC.
Watching the Exeter highlights and from his last few matches at the Rec he is starting to impact upon games and doing some 'sensible' kicking.

Hopefully the plan is that Tom Heathcote will be our first choice 10 when Donald leaves, it gives him 2 years to get up to speed and a gentle introduction to his Bath career.

Everything I have posted here is my opinion, it in no way reflects actual fact, except when it actually does, although that will not be often.

Please do not take offence if I call your favourite player rubbish or say he plays out of position.

I am entitled to my opinion and you are entitled to yours. Mine is most likely to be right though.

I also think cricket is rubbish! This is fact.

Gussieboy (IP Logged)
08 February, 2012 08:22
I haven'tlistened to the interview (I can't at work!), but I take it that the references to a couple of years, are a couple MORE years, as his contract was for 3 years not 2.

Bri (IP Logged)
08 February, 2012 08:33
I never thought he emigrated here for life,as long as he keeps giving is all like he is,good luck to him.By that time Carter will want to come for a couple of years.

Bod (IP Logged)
08 February, 2012 08:33
I'd understand that he should stay to the end of 2012/14 - I can't really see him seriously going for a spot on the AB RWC squad for 2015, but then I honestly never imagined that BJ would be in with a shout for the Boks last year.
If he can get into a "groove" where he can enjoy his rugby at Bath I can't see why he shouldn't stay a while.

StuartMMoss (IP Logged)
08 February, 2012 08:40
SHOCKER! Foreign Player Wants To Return Home At End Of Contract!

Really? You dont say? No s**t Sherlock! As others have said...Non story!

I would love him to stay longer, but not exactly a suprise is it? I would be more suprised if he decided he and his other half wanted to emigrate here. Might go for a 1 year extension to current deal then back home... (Sm100)

CoochieCoo (IP Logged)
08 February, 2012 08:43
So a bloke miles away from his homeland goes to another country to do a job and hankers to go back home when he has finished his contract.....and that's a story? As for the conspiracy theories! (Sm120)

http://zdgzqa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1p7Mwi7pLXeM89TY2KFdDQ-UUDGSv1FKNdhYdrW-koAuRN3tsqCPfE3onFxuO-3cZ0057Tom1uJai3vjkz3dvY_Q/1998%20Euro%20Champs.jpg http://zdgzqa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pFul9UAV5zEXOzeRc1kmmlgDKXTYTIlTnGoQzYelH6KzdCeU-exN0IGo74QN2OGvlSoEiVjzAESvHx9BFlBsNFA/Bath%202008.jpg

CoochieCoo (IP Logged)
08 February, 2012 08:44
Great minds Stuart! winking smiley

http://zdgzqa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1p7Mwi7pLXeM89TY2KFdDQ-UUDGSv1FKNdhYdrW-koAuRN3tsqCPfE3onFxuO-3cZ0057Tom1uJai3vjkz3dvY_Q/1998%20Euro%20Champs.jpg http://zdgzqa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pFul9UAV5zEXOzeRc1kmmlgDKXTYTIlTnGoQzYelH6KzdCeU-exN0IGo74QN2OGvlSoEiVjzAESvHx9BFlBsNFA/Bath%202008.jpg

King Curtis (IP Logged)
08 February, 2012 08:53
Having listened to it I think it's more of a story then people are making out. He sounds extremely disheartened by the whole episode.

Does anyone know definitively how long his contract is, that's twice I've seen him refer to it as two years. Is the third year an option?

Either way it doesn't worry me too much - I think Heathcote will be ready when he does leave.

devizes bath fan (IP Logged)
08 February, 2012 08:57
Quote:
Gussieboy
I haven'tlistened to the interview (I can't at work!), but I take it that the references to a couple of years, are a couple MORE years, as his contract was for 3 years not 2.

He's said after the WC Final before coming to Bath that it was 2 years so perhaps the 3rd year is an option.

Bod (IP Logged)
08 February, 2012 09:06
The story is nothing to do with the player wishing to return home, but more regarding the very guarded and reserved responses he makes when asked about his enjoyment and experience of playing rugby for Bath.
He chooses his words very carefully in response to those questions.
You'd have thought this would have been fully explained during the initial exchange of ideas/philosophies when assessing suitability to offer a contract.

King Curtis (IP Logged)
08 February, 2012 09:07
Quote:
devizes bath fan
Quote:
Gussieboy

He's said after the WC Final before coming to Bath that it was 2 years so perhaps the 3rd year is an option.

Yeah I've just been looking for that quote, I'm pretty sure he said something along the lines of:

"I will be nearly half way through my contract by the time I arrive there"

Bri (IP Logged)
08 February, 2012 09:08
I don't think Donald has had the fanatical New Zealanders behind him before like he must hear they are now,must be hard for him coming here so quickly after the World Cup knowing he is now a super star at home.
One thing for sure since he's been here he has conducted himself well and is improving every game to our style.

Bod (IP Logged)
08 February, 2012 09:15
"to our style."

Give us a brief insight into what this entails/includes Brian?

Old Bathonian (IP Logged)
08 February, 2012 09:21
Quote:
Bathbadger
Short and sweet piece from NZ
"The World Cup-winning first five says he's struggling to adapt to the conservative English game

Donald has told Radio Sport he will return to New Zealand to play again after his two-year contract with Bath expires."

On the brightside, this confirms we only have him for 2 NOT 3 yeras, this has made my day.

I was convinced we'd signed the muppet for 3 years. (Sm42)

gaz909 (IP Logged)
08 February, 2012 09:24
if and i think we are all confident he will, he gives us 100% on the pitch, does everything to support the mentoring/development of TH but then decides home is where he wants to be but gives good notice to get the right replacement (which maybe a quality backup to TH if all goes to plan) then I will thank him for his commitment to the BBW and applaud his professionalism

but if he wants to stay having adjusted to the game and the country here then thats cool too

Boy (IP Logged)
08 February, 2012 09:24
Quote:
Ex-Bod
He's probably bored witless by the Bath Rugby philosophy and lack of playing ambition - I reckon he'll be gone during the summer

To follow on from your ridiculously ill-founded comment of last week, maybe he'll go to Bristol with Mears.

Bod (IP Logged)
08 February, 2012 09:26
SZ - Western Force are short of an experienced 10 for this season!

08 February, 2012 09:29
For those who can't listen.
It's [English rugby] proving a challenge at times, I won't lie there. It's very different but slowly getting my head around it and slowly working out what's important over here I guess.
Yead, there's a fair bit of that
[10 man rugby] I guess territory is everything over here. I guess, you know, coming from the Chiefs, probably being on the other side of conservatism, it's a little bit difficult working out what's important and when to throw the ball around so I'm learning some valuable lessons about this.
Contract's for a couple of years so see how it all unfolds and go from there but it's enjoyable as far as obviously being in another country but the rugby's a bit different at the moment.
[On the possibilty of returning to New Zealand to play Super Rugby] Oh yeah I think so. I'll be only 29 at the end of it so I'll be pretty keen at some stage to get back in the New Zealand lifestyle and play for whoever Super 10 wants me or if it's just ?NBC?. I'm pretty sure I'll have a run around again.

What's quite telling is how he says it. He seems really happy to discuss the WC and then pauses when asked about England and talks in a much more downbeat tone with pauses, ums and ers as if he's thinking carefully about what to say. He perks up a bit when asked about coming back.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 08/02/2012 09:35 by devizes bath fan.

Gareth Redux (IP Logged)
08 February, 2012 09:36
We DO have an ultra-conservative game plan, he'd clearly like a more expansive one - so would I.

Bod (IP Logged)
08 February, 2012 09:39
He seemed as keen to talk about his game in England as John Terry would be, asked to chat about his spat with Anton Ferdinand.

08 February, 2012 09:43
I got the impression from what he said and his tone of voice that he wants to go back to New Zealand as soon as possible and that, at the moment, the only positives from his time in Bath and England are as a tourist.

I'd imagine the money we're paying him is also a nice sweetener.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/02/2012 09:46 by devizes bath fan.

BathBerk (IP Logged)
08 February, 2012 10:00
Quote:
B4thB4ack
Have to say I'm enjoying watching him recently. A bit like Butch but a better passer and without the clothes line tackles.

Quite agree B4ThB4ack. Having listened to the interview Donald sounds like he isn't finding English rugby as attractive. Personally I hope he will find a way to bring the more expansive game with him while not displeasing his masters too much. SIM knew what type of game donald played when he signed him, so it would make no sense to bring him over and then force him to play a different type of game. Donald has already opened things up with his accurate wide passing and tactical kicking and I don't see anyone in management shouting at him for that, so hopefully it is the premiership he is struggling to adapt to rather than just our game.

In the meantime, is it any wonder that having had to leave home at the zenith of his fame and popularity, having had to endure so much grief, was hard? perhaps if we all do our best to make him feel welcome and appreciated he will warm to us and come to enjoy being here for AT Least 2 years?

Gareth Redux (IP Logged)
08 February, 2012 10:04
Lots of very effective grubbers from SD on sun, the first glimmers of a gameplan beyond passing to static players with no dummy runners? I hope so.

08 February, 2012 10:15
Er, have you guys talking about his tone of voice never listened to him speak before? That's just how he is.

Stuart

Follow COML on Twitter

08 February, 2012 10:25
Of course, Stuart. There was a obvious change in his tone of voice during the interview when talking about Bath and England.

Bri (IP Logged)
08 February, 2012 10:47
Can't believe people are judging him on what they think he thinks.I had a 18 month contract abroad and after 6 months couldn't wait for it to be over,that's normal.
The guy is an outstanding rugby player and giving is all fo BBW.

Lebowski (IP Logged)
08 February, 2012 11:18
Most of the Premiership is pretty boring. The Premiership champions have re-defined boring. England are boring. What's the story there - nothing's changed recently?

King Curtis (IP Logged)
08 February, 2012 11:33
FYI if he's correct on his contract length then it would appear that he is off at the end of next season.

He says in the interview that he will be 29 at the end of his contract. He is now 28 and his birthday was on 3rd December. Therefore in summer 2013 he will be 29.

I'm not overly worried, if he is already eyeing up a return home the sooner the better in my opinion.

Susanne (IP Logged)
08 February, 2012 11:47
He comes to us off the back of the adrenaline high of the World Cup and it is now February in England, the dreariest month there is. No wonder the poor guy is struggling - I'd be homesick in the same circumstances! Lets see how his play on the field develops over the rest of the season - everyone will be getting a lot happier as the amount of daylight increases.

http://i59.tinypic.com/4ibfh4.jpg

Grant Shiells - my adoptee for 2015/15 (A Scottish Geordie - what could be a better combination?)

BathBeaver (IP Logged)
08 February, 2012 11:48
I definitely noticed his tone while discussing his time here. The impression I have of him is that he gives his all, and he is probably frustrated that he is taking so long to adapt, and feels he is letting us down in the process.

retired (IP Logged)
08 February, 2012 12:49
Originally SD was due to arrive in Bath in June 2011 on a three year deal, having been left out of the WC squad. He was then asked to be on standby in NZ for the duration of the WC which reduced he contract at Bath to just under two and half years.
Suzanne -Your comments are spot on

DanWiley (IP Logged)
08 February, 2012 12:54
I agree with most on here in that I wouldn't be surprised if he wants to go back home right now(weather, rugby, elevated status, etc). Nor would I be surprised if he treats his current contract as a two year, highly paid life experience and goes back afterwards to try for a WC place (though I think he's optimistic there). Trying to keep my initial disappointment with his signing aside, I've no problem with that, I don't think James did much different.

I do wonder if the excitement over TH is a bit over egged, and I say that as someone who thinks he's a great prospect and I've said as much. But we do tend to build up players beyond their abilities sometimes and there's a lot of time to pass in the next 18 months the might show TH up as just good (I'm not more excited by him than I was by Ryan Davis when he broke through, for example).

So the question is if we've got several hundred k kicking about for a 10, do we really want to give that to TH? Is he THAT good? Or, at 21, will we still want a proven WC player there?

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net