Latest News:
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Slowly forming lineouts!
Posted by: Weeksie (IP Logged)
Date: 19 February, 2012 07:16

It may have been that I was cold and wet and wated to see some action....but... Did anyone else notice how slow Glos were to form lineouts? Each one took twice as long as is necessary as they walked to them?!

Re: Slowly forming lineouts!
Posted by: BBandW (IP Logged)
Date: 19 February, 2012 08:19

Glaws did rather overdo it, but every team (including Bath) does the slow walk act. About time referees put a stop to it.

Posted by: WestonDave (IP Logged)
Date: 19 February, 2012 08:49

To be fair its something we've been pretty good/bad at this season - even to the point of strolling to lineouts in the last minute when we needed a score for league points!

Posted by: BATH_BTGOG_2 (IP Logged)
Date: 19 February, 2012 08:56

Most teams do it these days it bugs the hell out of me, especially when its the losing team doing it.
Surely it gives the other team a few seconds to compose themselves and a chance to work out what they are doing.

Posted by: annie blackthorn (IP Logged)
Date: 19 February, 2012 09:10

Laugh. I thought this thread title was about Bath!

Francois Louw
Proud to be wearing the BB&W and feared by all who play in the English Prem!

Posted by: Bod (IP Logged)
Date: 19 February, 2012 09:15

SIM has done excellent work on the pre-lineout stroll (perhaps this should be on a different thread regarding improvements this season) It's certainly not a Haag trait.
Need more work on the dancing up and down the lineout prior to the throw though - I like a bit of that.
Can't beat a nice stroll and lineout jiggery!
Well done SIM
(Any chance of hitting the jumpers with the throw on occasion?)

Weeksie - imitation is the greatest form of flattery - Bath are a different class of strollers and Glaws know it!

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_dOg4Ljp3kh8/Sf89bRrqecI/AAAAAAAAAJY/eJCF1kt4b0E/s200/DON%27T-SHOOT-THE-MESSENGER1.jpg

Posted by: johnnyf (IP Logged)
Date: 19 February, 2012 10:13

Have the players/coaches any idea at all how much this annoys the paying customer?

Posted by: Weeksie (IP Logged)
Date: 19 February, 2012 10:16

Iam aware we do it- it is amazing how it becomes more obvious when the opposition are doing it and you are cold and wet though!

Posted by: PhilHallFan (IP Logged)
Date: 19 February, 2012 10:46

I assume it's to give the opposition less time to react to your formation. Arrive and immediately throw the ball in. But frankly it's a pain in the neck.

Posted by: grumpybear (IP Logged)
Date: 19 February, 2012 11:19

Infuriating! I believe Borthwick started it at Bath

Posted by: TCM2007 (IP Logged)
Date: 19 February, 2012 11:21

Quote:
grumpybear
Infuriating! I believe Borthwick started it at Bath

No no, it was SIM, didn't you read Bod's post?

Stuart

Editor of Come On My Lovers

Posted by: Gareth Redux (IP Logged)
Date: 19 February, 2012 11:24

Not as annoying as changing your hooker with 3 mins to go then ballsing up an attacking lineout with time up on the clock. I'd love to know what the hell the coaches were thinking at that point unless Mearsy was injured.

Posted by: Bri (IP Logged)
Date: 19 February, 2012 11:33

Quote:
Gareth Redux
Not as annoying as changing your hooker with 3 mins to go then ballsing up an attacking lineout with time up on the clock. I'd love to know what the hell the coaches were thinking at that point unless Mearsy was injured.

At last we agree,Gareth.What's the point,can't really blame Batty even if he's not the best thrower,no time to get into the game.

Posted by: TCM2007 (IP Logged)
Date: 19 February, 2012 12:04

Well now you're opening up that curse of the modern game - substitutions. Has wrecked the last 20 minutes of countless games since it was introduced.

Perhaps the single thing that hurt Bath he most after professionalism. You'd have the opposition pack ground down, we're about to administer the coup de grace, and a fresh front row appears.

Stuart

Editor of Come On My Lovers

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 19/02/2012 12:06 by TCM2007.

Posted by: Bathovalballer (IP Logged)
Date: 19 February, 2012 19:11

I cannot for the life of me understand how strolling to a line out helps, especailly when you are on the attack and its our throw. Surely by running to the lineout for a quickly taken throw in, it puts pressure on the opposition to organise their defence and backs and keeps the forward momentum going -FORWARD? Something we are not good at at Bath!

Yes it was the cerebal Borthwick who introduced the tactic to Bath and when he went, I hoped he had taken it with him.No such luck but surely the coaches or players can change a useless tactic araound.

Posted by: rightarmover (IP Logged)
Date: 19 February, 2012 20:04

Quote:
Gareth Redux

Quite, if anyone noticed - the most disconsolate-looking Bath player leaving the field after the nice Mr Barnes blew for time was the lad Batty. I felt really sorry for him.

Posted by: Dorset Boy (IP Logged)
Date: 19 February, 2012 20:19

Refs also need to pick up on throwing the ball away after a free kick or penalty is awarded. Happened regularly yesterday and is an obvious offence for the ARs to pick up on.

Too many laws are disregarded these days!

Posted by: grumpybear (IP Logged)
Date: 19 February, 2012 21:30

I noticed the ref in the Saracens / Leicester match constantly chivvying up the forwards to get into line quickly, warning that he would freekick them if they didn't hurry.

Posted by: BathBeaver (IP Logged)
Date: 20 February, 2012 09:07

Particularly frustrating when we are behind with minutes left on the clock. Bath need a bomb under them and the casual stroll to lineout is adding to the lack of urgency.

Posted by: RalphAllen (IP Logged)
Date: 20 February, 2012 09:09

Quote:
Gareth Redux

He was injured - forearm - had to come off straightaway.

Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListLog In
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net