Latest News:
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 4 of 7

Re: Matt Carraro to Montpellier???
Posted by: marshie10 (IP Logged)
Date: 28 February, 2012 23:48

Carraro for another year or Ben Williams for the next 10 years, hmmm, which to choose...!?

Posted by: Kidney Stone (IP Logged)
Date: 28 February, 2012 23:51

Marshie, I know it is a tough concept for you to get hold of, but others are allowed to have a view contrary to yours.

Random and left of field perhaps, but thats how it is!

Date: 29 February, 2012 00:19

I know it's an even tougher concept for you to grasp, but I am allowed to disagree with other people's opinions, if one wasn't allowed to do that, ERE wouldn't exist. Can I spell it out a different way for you, maybe I could draw some pictures?

Posted by: fat lock (IP Logged)
Date: 29 February, 2012 07:50

This whole BW vs MC circular argument sums up the balance a squad needs - the balance between having experienced players and blooding youth and building for the future.
No doubt 'the powers that be' in Farleigh are playing the same mental gymnastics. Or maybe they just toss a coin to decide who to offer contracts to.

Maybe running a club, building a squad and making them perform isn't as easy as we all like to think - just a thought.

Posted by: Bri (IP Logged)
Date: 29 February, 2012 08:02

Agree must be quite hard to balance the squad,I think theirs two main ways ,bash up the middle or pace and I dont think our team know which one they are yet.
Banners HIpkiss and Williams are similar players who like contact.If I was to chose one in the centre it would be Williams but will he stay injury free which must be a worry for the club,really hopeing he has a run of games because he will create gaps with a off load something we are missing.

Posted by: hasta (IP Logged)
Date: 29 February, 2012 10:49

I'm not saying that Williams can't do it, but frankly Banners has played more substantial, MotM games at 13 than Williams has. Frankly, so has Hipkiss. I know Williams is young and has potential, and he seems like a decent player to me, but I don't see why he's rated so highly having not made that much of an impression as a starter.

http://www.rugbynetwork.net/boards/file/s105.htm?108,file=1880

Date: 29 February, 2012 10:53

I can understand lots of Bath fan having the same reaction about Ben but if you had watched him co ing up through the ranks you would also rate him so highly,he is a class act.

Posted by: Blocks2u (IP Logged)
Date: 29 February, 2012 10:56

Quote:
hasta
I'm not saying that Williams can't do it, but frankly Banners has played more substantial, MotM games at 13 than Williams has. Frankly, so has Hipkiss. I know Williams is young and has potential, and he seems like a decent player to me, but I don't see why he's rated so highly having not made that much of an impression as a starter.

Spot on Hasta, he's not impressed me so far, whereas Heathcote is making progress every time he takes the field.

Ian

Posted by: Sam Y (IP Logged)
Date: 29 February, 2012 10:59

Hasta, I really rate Williams as it appears other clubs do as well, but I would like to really give a further opinion on Williams when he has had a real run of games without being injured, but he has huge potential for the future.

Date: 29 February, 2012 12:32

[quote Blocks2u][quote hasta]I'm not saying that Williams can't do it, but frankly Banners has played more substantial, MotM games at 13 than Williams has. Frankly, so has Hipkiss. I know Williams is young and has potential,

Spot on Hasta, he's not impressed me so far, whereas Heathcote is making progress every time he takes the field.

[/quote]

A lot easier to stand out at 10

Date: 29 February, 2012 12:35

Williams has had no luck with injuries, once he's fit for an extended period, I have no doubt that he will show his class. A mon avi, he's a far better 13 than Banahan and he's also better than Hipkiss. He has the potential to be really very good. Steve Meehan was not a fan of playing youngsters, he just didn't really do it, but he loved Ben - that says something.

Posted by: Bod (IP Logged)
Date: 29 February, 2012 12:45

Quote:
marshie10
Williams has had no luck with injuries, once he's fit for an extended period, I have no doubt that he will show his class. A mon avis, he's a far better 13 than Banahan and he's also better than Hipkiss. He has the potential to be really very good. Steve Meehan was not a fan of playing youngsters, he just didn't really do it, but he loved Ben - that says something.

(Sm154)
Must try harder!

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_dOg4Ljp3kh8/Sf89bRrqecI/AAAAAAAAAJY/eJCF1kt4b0E/s200/DON%27T-SHOOT-THE-MESSENGER1.jpg

Posted by: hasta (IP Logged)
Date: 29 February, 2012 12:53

> à mon humble avis

Surelyemente?

http://www.rugbynetwork.net/boards/file/s105.htm?108,file=1880

Date: 29 February, 2012 12:57

Apologies Bod, it's been a while since I did French, but no excuses, lazy from me!

Posted by: devizes bath fan (IP Logged)
Date: 29 February, 2012 13:07

A fait acopian, Marshe, bain marie.

Date: 29 February, 2012 13:10

I'm not sure that I know what that means, you've got me DBF. I fear google translation isn't very accurate.

Date: 29 February, 2012 13:21

It's Del Boy French, Marshe. Don't get upset, no problem. Al dente!

Date: 29 February, 2012 13:24

Repeat after me :
"Mon aéroglisseur est plein d'anguilles"

If ever asked to produce your passport/ driving license by any French official this should be the immediate and confident response marshie, as you smile and bow slightly as you pass over your documents!

Trust me!
thumbs down

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_dOg4Ljp3kh8/Sf89bRrqecI/AAAAAAAAAJY/eJCF1kt4b0E/s200/DON%27T-SHOOT-THE-MESSENGER1.jpg

Posted by: mines a black rat (IP Logged)
Date: 29 February, 2012 13:27

The thing with Williams reminds me a lot of the other thread concerning Moody with regards to injuries. The question is how long do you give for him to come good??

Have you found the Black Rat?? I have!!

http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/x373/minesablackrat/Blackrat.jpg

Posted by: Puxonian (IP Logged)
Date: 29 February, 2012 13:28

Quote:
Ex-Bod
Repeat after me :

If ever asked to produce your passport/ driving license by any French official this should be the immediate and confident response marshie, as you smile and bow slightly as you pass over your documents!

Trust me!
thumbs down

You perhaps ought to credit Monty Python for that quote Bod!

[www.youtube.com]

Date: 29 February, 2012 13:30

Quote:
mines a black rat
The thing with Williams reminds me a lot of the other thread concerning Moody with regards to injuries. The question is how long do you give for him to come good??

Somewhere between the time it took them to decide that Mike Catt wasn't worth a contract extension and the time it took them to work out that Moody was worth a 3 year contract.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 29/02/2012 13:33 by devizes bath fan.

Posted by: TCM2007 (IP Logged)
Date: 29 February, 2012 13:32

Quote:
devizes bath fan
Somewhere between the time it took them to decide that Mike Catt wasn't worth a contract extension and the time it took them to work out that Moody was worth a 3 year contract.

That's the Moody thing in a nutshell isn't it - just shows what a gamble it can be.

Stuart

Editor of Come On My Lovers

Date: 29 February, 2012 13:33

Easy, Williams is 22 Moody is 33!!

Date: 29 February, 2012 13:36

Bod, I hope the direct translation has nothing to do with the police officer's wife...!? Or knowing where his children go to school...!

I actually think Ben W needs to lose a bit of bulk, I'm no expert but he's a very big lad and wouldn't that put strain on things? Obviously it protects the bones but surely it puts pressure something? Which Tyler is probably the best person to ask...?

Date: 29 February, 2012 13:44

The rumour I heard and it's only a rumour that we offered Catty(and I know the figure) a sum and he wanted another sum(and I know that figure)but not sure if I can post it.
Neither side could agree and he left but he was offered a contract.

Date: 29 February, 2012 13:48

Without the figures that was blatently obvious at the time, Brian.

Date: 29 February, 2012 13:51

Somewhere between the time it took them to decide that Mike Catt wasn't worth a contract extension.

I'm saying he was offered?

Date: 29 February, 2012 14:02

Okay, as far as I'm aware the contract was pretty derisory so should have said wasn't worth a decent contract extension.

Date: 29 February, 2012 14:02

Pux - any correctly educated 9 year old know that!

Date: 29 February, 2012 14:05

Well over hundred k I heard,some players maybe price them selves out of a contract,we are talking about a few years ago,if the figure is right?

Date: 29 February, 2012 14:23

Quote:
Brian4455
Well over hundred k I heard,some players maybe price them selves out of a contract,we are talking about a few years ago,if the figure is right?

IIRC it wasn't unreasonable but Not-nots offered him substantially more as well as an ongoing player/coach role

Also IIRC Barkley was seen as his natural successor at the time so the decision to let him go was that much easier

Either way he didn't leave the club on good terms - a real shame considering what a great player and servant for Bath he'd been.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 29/02/2012 14:49 by Puxonian.

Posted by: Kidney Stone (IP Logged)
Date: 29 February, 2012 14:34

Quote:
marshie10
I know it's an even tougher concept for you to grasp, but I am allowed to disagree with other people's opinions, if one wasn't allowed to do that, ERE wouldn't exist. Can I spell it out a different way for you, maybe I could draw some pictures?

Steady on Marshie - the flounce meter must be nearing the red zone!

Pictures would be nice, please share.

Posted by: Jaydeeone (IP Logged)
Date: 29 February, 2012 15:00

Much as I like what I've seen of Williams, given the choice of him or Carraro, I'd opt for MC at the moment. I hope it's a slightly more nuanced choice than a simple either or, but Williams hasn't had enough game time to warrant placing ahead of MC right now.

Date: 29 February, 2012 15:04

Spot on Jaydeeone, but a very able replacement IMHO!!!

Posted by: callmeMrTibbs (IP Logged)
Date: 29 February, 2012 15:07

Quote:
Puxonian
Either way he didn't leave the club on good terms - a real shame considering what a great player and servant for Bath he'd been.

Agreed. Though I'd say the blame was shared by both parties.

One memory of that last season; a crucial lower table clash with Bristol [I think]. And as the support was pouring into the Rec, Catty was heading in the opposite direction. Surely any good 'team player' would be there to support his mates?

Oh, and read his autobiography. He's out for most of the season with injuries that mysteriously clear up just before England games. Then we get into a cup final and he assumes he'll be invited to play in place of players who got us there. When he's not, he sulks.

Great player. And the management handled him badly at the end. But toys and prams were also much in evidence.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 29/02/2012 15:09 by callmeMrTibbs.

Posted by: Professor Griff (IP Logged)
Date: 29 February, 2012 15:18

Quote:
Brian4455
The rumour I heard and it's only a rumour that we offered Catty(and I know the figure) a sum and he wanted another sum(and I know that figure)but not sure if I can post it.
Neither side could agree and he left but he was offered a contract.

There are no rumours Brian, Catty wrote in his autobiography he was offered a basic £20k academy level contract (It was roughly that much) and his salary would be topped up based on appearances, the club management felt this is all they would offer him as he had lots of injury issues in the previous 2 seasons and they this was his value. So Catty moved on and he made no secret of his dislike of AB in his book over this.

Posted by: Gussieboy (IP Logged)
Date: 29 February, 2012 15:23

I believe it was 20K plus 5K a match - which may sound okay, but then when you're injured in the first match, suddenly it ain't so good!

It's certainly not the sort of contract you offer a seasoned international that you are desperate to keep.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 29/02/2012 15:25 by Gussieboy.

Date: 29 February, 2012 16:15

KS, sadly I'm not a good artist or creator of pretty pictures. But this is a discussion forum where people argue and debate opinions and views. I am perfectly entitled to disagree with someone's opinion, I've not once said that someone can't have that opinion though.

Date: 29 February, 2012 16:18

Well said Marshie!!

Posted by: Blocks2u (IP Logged)
Date: 29 February, 2012 16:40

Quote:
marshie10
I've not once said that someone can't have that opinion though.

Perhaps not, but you continually counter by reinforcing your own opinion, you won't let it lie, which gives an impression that you are unwilling to accept someone else's opinion, hth smiling smiley

Ian

Posted by: noidea (IP Logged)
Date: 29 February, 2012 16:45

Quote:
Puxonian
Quote:
Ex-Bod
Repeat after me :

Trust me!
thumbs down

You perhaps ought to credit Monty Python for that quote Bod!

[www.youtube.com]

was watching it on the train the other day - still made me laugh.

why not try it in Afrikaans Bod:

My skeertuig is vol palings

Date: 29 February, 2012 16:46

Why should Marshie except someone else's opinion,if he knows they are wrong.
It's good to have Marshie back,he posts sense unlike many and must have good contacts in THe club as most of the time he is spot on.
I would like to add he is a valued forum member.(Sm134)

Date: 29 February, 2012 16:52

Blocks/Ian, surely that is exactly what an argument is? Countering someone with your opinion, it's opinion v opinion. And in my eyes, opinion v opinion = debate = ERE.

Posted by: cheekywatson (IP Logged)
Date: 29 February, 2012 16:54

I'm with marshie on this one.

Date: 29 February, 2012 16:56

Quote:
cheekywatson
I'm with marshie on this one.

Bump

Date: 29 February, 2012 16:57

Quote:
Brian4455
Why should Marshie except someone else's opinion,if he knows they are wrong.
It's good to have Marshie back,he posts sense unlike many and must have good contacts in THe club as most of the time he is spot on.
I would like to add he is a valued forum member.(Sm134)

Think that might be pushing it a little Brian

Date: 29 February, 2012 16:59

Pux, grrrrr.

Date: 29 February, 2012 17:03

Can we change the subject,I don't like the way this thread is going.We wouldn't want to lose Marshie again.So back off Pux.

Date: 29 February, 2012 17:10

Ha don't worry Bry, Pux is joking. Carraro to Montpelier, who thinks it will happen? I think Bath will persuade him to stay, but I'm not incredibly confident.

Date: 29 February, 2012 17:13

There really ought to be alot of blue text on this page.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 4 of 7
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListLog In
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net