Latest News:
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: 1234567Next
Current Page: 1 of 7
Matt Carraro to Montpellier???
Posted by: Bluesboy7 (IP Logged)
Date: 22 February, 2012 22:15

Rumour has it that Matt Carraro is going to Montpellier. Just hope it is just a rumour !!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 22/02/2012 22:19 by Bluesboy7.

Re: Matt Carraro to Montpellier???
Posted by: TCM2007 (IP Logged)
Date: 22 February, 2012 22:20

He's got a year to run on his contract hasn't he?

Stuart

Editor of Come On My Lovers

Posted by: retired (IP Logged)
Date: 22 February, 2012 22:21

Can we park that with Ryan Caldwell to Leinster rumour.

Posted by: Kidney Stone (IP Logged)
Date: 22 February, 2012 22:25

Hope both of these are just rumours!

Posted by: Bod (IP Logged)
Date: 22 February, 2012 22:30

Go Matt, go!

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_dOg4Ljp3kh8/Sf89bRrqecI/AAAAAAAAAJY/eJCF1kt4b0E/s200/DON%27T-SHOOT-THE-MESSENGER1.jpg

Date: 22 February, 2012 22:32

If you do not have a celery cap buying out contracts is not an issue !!

Posted by: Huxster (IP Logged)
Date: 22 February, 2012 22:32

Wilson to Newcastle

Biggs to Leeds

Banahan to Leicester

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v654/Huxster8/Huxster6.jpg

Date: 22 February, 2012 22:36

Bod to New Zealand

Stuart

Posted by: StuartMMoss (IP Logged)
Date: 22 February, 2012 22:52

Looks like Steve and I have found the source of the tale...

Taken from twitter...

Malcolm Cupis@BlokeInBath
Matt Carraro was in Montpellier finalising a contract offer today. Shame, one of my favourite Bath backs. Greatly under-rated.

26m Stuart Moss@StuartMMoss
@BlokeInBath but he only signed a new deal 12 months ago... Could have sworn it was for more than 1 year...?

24m Malcolm Cupis@BlokeInBath
@StuartMMoss 1year plus option.

17m Stuart Moss@StuartMMoss
@BlokeInBath not according to here [news.bbc.co.uk] says staying until end of 2012-13 season... Hope you are wrong this time! :-)

14m Malcolm Cupis@BlokeInBath
@StuartMMoss Sad to say he spent the day with Montpellier today.

5m Stuart Moss@StuartMMoss
@BlokeInBath seems odd esp with contract & lack of other gossip from French sites... You have proof? Not fighting, just asking! :-)

@StuartMMoss I have a spy...in Montpellier.

Stuart Moss@StuartMMoss
@BlokeInBath that old chestnut... :-) Hmmm believe it when I see it! As I said, not fighting, just doubting! :-)

@StuartMMoss Being a little more specific, this spy is in the club, not just the city. They made him an offer a month ago.

Read into that what you want...not sure how accurate or reliable this 'spy' is??

Date: 22 February, 2012 22:54

We're re-signing Tinds eh? Sounds about right!

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_dOg4Ljp3kh8/Sf89bRrqecI/AAAAAAAAAJY/eJCF1kt4b0E/s200/DON%27T-SHOOT-THE-MESSENGER1.jpg

Posted by: King Curtis (IP Logged)
Date: 22 February, 2012 22:57

I know Malco has some good connections in France.

He was au fait with Simon Taylor's signing and Jacques Boussuge. Therefore I am extremely confident that he will be right.

Date: 22 February, 2012 23:15

Quote:
TCM2007
Bod to New Zealand

Sim to Melksham and Bath girls development

Posted by: m0rris (IP Logged)
Date: 23 February, 2012 00:31

If we lose Matt I'll be incredibly unhappy. He has been brilliant and has been one of the most underrated centres in the premiership, we'll really struggle to find an adequate replacement. Please lord can it not be true!

Posted by: Gussieboy (IP Logged)
Date: 23 February, 2012 07:28

Not sure he is underated, under played maybe - perhaps that's the problem.

Date: 23 February, 2012 07:31

Wiping the place clean of all things "Smee" - great ambition and vision!

Posted by: Bri (IP Logged)
Date: 23 February, 2012 07:33

Can't believe it,is this true or not?

Date: 23 February, 2012 07:38

If true it is solid proof that Grandad has lost his marbles - pah!

Posted by: BBandW (IP Logged)
Date: 23 February, 2012 07:44

Quote:
Ex-Bod
If true it is solid proof that Grandad has lost his marbles - pah!

Did you need any more proof Bod ?

Posted by: Lost Soul (IP Logged)
Date: 23 February, 2012 07:48

Under played is so true.

he is the best outside centre we have, I just wish he was played more.

Date: 23 February, 2012 07:49

I don't like this blatant vandalism. Hipkiss over Cararro?

Posted by: Bathovalballer (IP Logged)
Date: 23 February, 2012 08:20

Will be an absolute disaster becasue at last I understand Carraro is UK qualified by residence nearly and he is not a 'foreign' player.

Like many others I believe he deserves a proper run in the first team as he has never let us down, tackles like a train, CAN PASS, and has real speed especially over the first 10 meters. He is and has been IMHO the best centre consistently playing for the club and best 13 by far!

I could think of one or two others I would like to see go before Matt C!

Posted by: Widcombe Boy (IP Logged)
Date: 23 February, 2012 08:27

Quote:
Bathovalballer
Will be an absolute disaster becasue at last I understand Carraro is UK qualified by residence nearly and he is not a 'foreign' player.
Like many others I believe he deserves a proper run in the first team as he has never let us down, tackles like a train, CAN PASS, and has real speed especially over the first 10 meters. He is and has been IMHO the best centre consistently playing for the club and best 13 by far!

I could think of one or two others I would like to see go before Matt C!

Totally agree BOB. No comparison between him and Banners @13

Date: 23 February, 2012 08:30

Also agree with BoB,I don't believe it,we would be mad to let him go but he has been messed about.

Posted by: Bathovalballer (IP Logged)
Date: 23 February, 2012 08:34

Can anyone confirm this rumour/ story? Where is Marshie 10 wheh we want him?

Posted by: devizes bath fan (IP Logged)
Date: 23 February, 2012 08:36

So, as we aren't going to sign any outside backs apparently, we're going to get the same but without the best 13. Oh joy!

Posted by: Ade1865 (IP Logged)
Date: 23 February, 2012 08:37

As I understand it we're bringing back both Maggs and Tinds for their passing abilities. Biggs and woodburn will be sold into slavery as we will have no need of a winger. Bendy is off to Bhutan to rediscover the meaning of life.

Date: 23 February, 2012 08:44

Seriously, the above reaction to the possibility of Matt's departure just highlights one of my main problems with current recruitment. Matt is a fine player, reliable, dependable and rock solid, and he can pass. However he is not international class, and theres the rub. We need a midfield spark. He's the best we've got, which sums up how I rate those who are keeping him out of the team. Our midfield is slow, ponderous and predictable. It is a wonder that the wingers ever score, so suggests that they are really a cut above.

I do't know who I'd like to sign, because to be frank all the intelligent centres are foreign it seems. an influx of taffs perhaps?

Date: 23 February, 2012 08:51

Whilst I understand your point a bit Ade it seems a bit odd.

You acknowledge that he is the best that we have got but then don't have a problem with getting rid of him? Surely if he's the best centre the club have he should be retained and the worst centre we have should be released!?

Date: 23 February, 2012 08:55

From the Chronicle article about us not signing Gethin, Ade; Blofeld said Bath were “not actively” looking for an additional outside back for next season. So the spark has to come from those already there.

Posted by: Humpo (IP Logged)
Date: 23 February, 2012 09:16

With us not signing Gethin (£250k) , if this rumour is true about Carraro (£120k salary?) then this frees up a huge amount of cash to sign someone.

Get on the phone to Tongahui'ha.

Posted by: Miles Offside (IP Logged)
Date: 23 February, 2012 09:17

This would be really bad news if it turns out to be true. Matt has always really stood out whenever he's played, either at centre or wing. He's got pace, strength and a good rugby brain - we should be pulling out all the stops to keep him & discourage the CESMs.

Stay at Bath please Matt - you know it makes sense!

(Sm109)

Posted by: Rucking Carl (IP Logged)
Date: 23 February, 2012 09:35

Unlike the other rumours, I wouldn't be surprised if this had some legs to it.
Malco does have his contacts and even with a year left on his contract the club may consider him surplus to requirements. It would appear that way as he always struggles to get a game even when we don't have 2 Kolpak players and I'd want to leave if I was being kept out of 13 by an at best; off form player and at worst; a bad outside centre (I'll let you pick which).

Everything I have posted here is my opinion, it in no way reflects actual fact, except when it actually does, although that will not be often.

Please do not take offence if I call your favourite player rubbish or say he plays out of position.

I am entitled to my opinion and you are entitled to yours. Mine is most likely to be right though.

I also think cricket is rubbish! This is fact.

Posted by: DanWiley (IP Logged)
Date: 23 February, 2012 09:53

I'll get upset when it happens, and when it does we'll I'll think about the two other OCs we have and probably survive.

Is he qualifying as European next year? I guess that would be a reason to keep him, but also a reason why his stock goes up.

Date: 23 February, 2012 10:01

Barters, I would be sorry to see Matt go, at the moment, as he is our best centre. In the longterm however we need to improve our options so that someone of his calibre would be at best on the bench. [I may be doing him a disservice here, as I know we can't have top rank players in every position, but having grown up in the days of J guscott I have a soft spot for a searingly scintillating 13]. So what I am saying is: if we wish to have any chance of winning the AP or the HC, then we need to totally reassess our centre options.

DBF, I realise that the management puts no importance on outside back improvements. I don't agree, as I think is clear from the above. For all the cries for the likes of Barkley and Banahan to be in the England team, it is just rose tinteds I feel. OB was excellent outside Butch James, but failed to deliver without. Banahan is not an international class anything. Quite where to play him is a conundrum, but if I wanted another forward as a 13, I'd pick Louw or Taylor.

Posted by: Jaydeeone (IP Logged)
Date: 23 February, 2012 10:02

Well, there's very little point in having a great sports car in the garage if the only car you take out and drive is your Golf.

Date: 23 February, 2012 10:15

How Banahan, Hipkiss, or Barclay can be picked ahead of Carraro when all fit is a mystery - Cararro with Williams would be first choice centres with Donald at 10.
Banahan isn't a centre in the first place and why SIM continues to try and fix him into midfield is bizarre.

I'm sure Matt will have more fun outside Trin-Duc

Date: 23 February, 2012 10:55

Quote:
Ex-Bod
Wiping the place clean of all things "Smee" - great ambition and vision!

He signed his last contract under SIM.

Stuart

Posted by: johnnyf (IP Logged)
Date: 23 February, 2012 12:01

Think I'll burn my season ticket now.

Posted by: Boy (IP Logged)
Date: 23 February, 2012 12:12

Quote:
Ex-Bod
How Banahan, Hipkiss, or Barclay can be picked ahead of Carraro when all fit is a mystery - Cararro with Williams would be first choice centres with Donald at 10.
Banahan isn't a centre in the first place and why SIM continues to try and fix him into midfield is bizarre.

How you can spell Barkley wrong when he's been a prominent member of the Bath side for 11 of the past 12 years is the real mystery.

And if we're talking about where Banahan was 'in the first place' he'd never have played on the wing at all.

Posted by: joehousewife (IP Logged)
Date: 23 February, 2012 12:18

I am wrong to think that this rumour will fade away like the others? Anyone got the evidence to quash it! Please...
Please...
Please...

Posted by: Which Tyler (IP Logged)
Date: 23 February, 2012 12:21

Best evidence we've got is that he's under contract, and doesn't seem the type to walk away from that.

However, we've recently been burned by Butch walking away from a contract, and Malco does have a history of getting the scoops.

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3789/9516248130_a944476b5b_z.jpg
Adopting the KPN method. ___ To fertilise Roses K:12 P:8 N:6
A man who cannot change his mind, cannot change anything
RAEBURN SHIELD

Date: 23 February, 2012 12:21

Sorry SZ - pidling little hand held - no excuse!
I think Banners could now achieve more back in the forwards.

Posted by: ELT (IP Logged)
Date: 23 February, 2012 12:51

It may be too late for that now Bod, but I also think he'd be better suited at 6 or 8.

Date: 23 February, 2012 12:55

Are there many/any players who have starting caps for England as a back and a forward?

Posted by: mines a black rat (IP Logged)
Date: 23 February, 2012 13:16

Neil Back Bod (Sm151)

Have you found the Black Rat?? I have!!

http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/x373/minesablackrat/Blackrat.jpg

Date: 23 February, 2012 13:29

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_OjbG2mjeXlU/SveV9pI4BII/AAAAAAAAATw/2BkElMmnlaw/s200/Jokes+2.jpg

Thanks mabr!
(Sm164)

Posted by: ELT (IP Logged)
Date: 23 February, 2012 13:45

mabr: think you and Bod have the makings of a double act there!

Moving on, Saints are rumoured to be after Jonathan Davies. I wouldn't mind losing MC if we signed someone of that calibre. Perhaps D-Day could put in a good word.

Date: 23 February, 2012 15:36

For what it's worth I am now 99% sure that Malcolm is correct and Matt Carraro is off to Montpellier.

I have heard that it is very much the club not taking an option in his contract rather than Matt wanting to leave...

Date: 23 February, 2012 15:44

I would never run the club down but this is a big mistake.

Date: 23 February, 2012 16:32

Quote:
Barters
I have heard that it is very much the club not taking an option in his contract rather than Matt wanting to leave...

If they're not bringing in any outside backs that's incredibly short-sighted based just on squad cover without even considering his relative performances. Perhaps we're going to see more of Vesty and Cuthbert next season (Sm164)(Sm10)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 23/02/2012 16:33 by devizes bath fan.

Goto Page: 1234567Next
Current Page: 1 of 7
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListLog In
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net