rugbyunion
Latest News:

Genuine Question
Bath Fan Jack (IP Logged)
13 March, 2012 16:35
Given our current vulnerability in scrums would we be allowed to consult the referee before a game and ask the following.

In the opposition half if they commit an offence for which a scrum is appropriate if after the requisite time no advantage accrues to Bath then award a scrum to Bath.

However if the opposition commit an offence in the Bath half that would require a scrum, after the appropriate advantage period, ignore the offence and do not award a scrum to Bath and let play continue.

I am being absolutely serious here.

One might of course only make this request against certain teams.

The point being in our on half against certain teams it is to our advantage not to have a scrum.

Re: Genuine Question
joehousewife (IP Logged)
13 March, 2012 16:37
mmm, not sure it would work like that Jack, good question though.

joethefanatic (IP Logged)
13 March, 2012 19:57
The rules say that advantage may be positional or tactical but it must be real. In that case I'd say our captain would have a strong case in avoiding scrums at the moment.

... IMHO, of course.

Now in Honolulu

WestonDave (IP Logged)
14 March, 2012 09:50
Its an interesting question, but with our position as it is, I'd have thought it made more sense to simply get on with it, and try to ensure Beech and Catt get as much experience as possible this season whilst we are now safe from relegation and pretty unlikely to gain HEC places.

If we aren't going to sign a new loosehead, and we shy away from gaining scrum experience we risk spending next season with the same problem.

Some scrum penalties in a game are inevitable - the key for us is to be playing enough rugby elsewhere that the odd one or two isn't the difference between winning and losing. Our only real chance of HEC rugby is to be winning well which should outweight the scrum penalties - anyway if we've got the ball and handle it well, the chances of scrums reduce anyway!

Aidan (IP Logged)
14 March, 2012 11:29
agree with that.
We're not going to get relegated, we're not going to earn HC rugby (compare Glos' run-in to ours, and find an extra couple of points for us...), Catt and Beech have mature skeletons - throw them in, there's 400 minutes of rugby left this season - give them 200 each (fitness allowing). I'd do the same for others who just need some game-time, KPN (- might be better left at Leeds), Cook, Williams, Eastmond, Cuthbert

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5561/15137138872_df9a213fd9_m.jpg
Nick Auterac, adoptee 2014/15.
A man who cannot change his mind, cannot change anything
RAEBURN SHIELD

Stuart Anderton (IP Logged)
14 March, 2012 12:58
Quote:
Which Tyler
agree with that.
We're not going to get relegated, we're not going to earn HC rugby (compare Glos' run-in to ours, and find an extra couple of points for us...), Catt and Beech have mature skeletons - throw them in, there's 400 minutes of rugby left this season - give them 200 each (fitness allowing). I'd do the same for others who just need some game-time, KPN (- might be better left at Leeds), Cook, Williams, Eastmond, Cuthbert

I think I'd give it one more game before going into using the final matches as practice. If we win at Quins and Glaws lose to Exeter then that will change the balance quite a bit.

But generally, yes, no would be time to start an extended prep for 2012/13.

Stuart

Editor of Come On My Lovers

Don't be a grey outline, set up your avatar

Join the COML Facebook Group

Follow COML on Twitter

Aidan (IP Logged)
14 March, 2012 14:30
fair and valid point; but I don't see either happening, let alone both

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5561/15137138872_df9a213fd9_m.jpg
Nick Auterac, adoptee 2014/15.
A man who cannot change his mind, cannot change anything
RAEBURN SHIELD

Bod (IP Logged)
14 March, 2012 21:32
Quote:
TCM2007
Quote:
Which Tyler
agree with that.

I think I'd give it one more game before going into using the final matches as practice. If we win at Quins and Glaws lose to Exeter then that will change the balance quite a bit.

But generally, yes, no would be time to start an extended prep for 2012/13.

Prep for what during 2012/13?

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_dOg4Ljp3kh8/Sf89bRrqecI/AAAAAAAAAJY/eJCF1kt4b0E/s200/DON%27T-SHOOT-THE-MESSENGER1.jpg

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net