rugbyunion
Latest News:

Sale no more?
Bod (IP Logged)
21 March, 2012 16:15
It's all a-movin in Manchester and NW!

They don't seem to be hanging around with any 3 year plans etc. do they?

(Sm3)

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_dOg4Ljp3kh8/Sf89bRrqecI/AAAAAAAAAJY/eJCF1kt4b0E/s200/DON%27T-SHOOT-THE-MESSENGER1.jpg

Re: Sale no more?
Boy (IP Logged)
21 March, 2012 16:35
Yes, it's just they're further along with their plan than we are. The talks with Salford have been going on for years (albeit not as long as The Rec, but they don't face the same issues), and still haven't actually been signed off. On the rugby side of things there's been a drastic change in attitude since Mike Brewer's reign, but then you could say there needed to be.

Can you imagine the fuss that would be kicked up firstly by rebranding as the Bath Bulldogs (for example), and then finding a new ground and becoming the Keynsham Bulldogs? ERE might just break the internet.

What I'm trying to say is that I blame SIM.

devizes bath fan (IP Logged)
21 March, 2012 16:49
I don't think that many Bath fans would be too positive about signing Cips considering our past problems with players who liked the town's nightlife rather too much.

If Newcastle go down, they're going to have a pretty big premiership catchment area.

Bod (IP Logged)
21 March, 2012 16:51
Falcolns will probably come straight back up - their owner is quite a flush guy as well, and RFU politics will also deem it necessary that the NE be represented

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_dOg4Ljp3kh8/Sf89bRrqecI/AAAAAAAAAJY/eJCF1kt4b0E/s200/DON%27T-SHOOT-THE-MESSENGER1.jpg

The Oilman (IP Logged)
21 March, 2012 17:03
Cips will have a whale of a time in Manchester! I bet he can't wait.

Lost Soul (IP Logged)
21 March, 2012 17:39
I have been watching Sale in Heywood Rd and Edgeley Park for yrs as I spend a lot of time in the area.

I beleive they have had a lot of bad press in the area from stockport Town supporters. I think they gained a lot of local support initially in the Stockport area, but after the running down of the football team I think they lost the goodwill of the area and the supporter base

Be that a lesson to people who think they can turn Rugby into a franchised sport like the NFL.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 21/03/2012 17:44 by Lost Soul.

Bod (IP Logged)
21 March, 2012 17:42
I used to really enjoy the away visits to HR - invariably plenty of top Cheshire tottie on show to boot!
thumbs down

pubtime (IP Logged)
22 March, 2012 09:11
Well Im sure there is plenty of cost effective development opportunity in the industrial wastelands of Greater Manchester, but Im not sure moving away from your spriritual home to stockport then to salford, signing Cipriani and changing your name represents progress does it????

Bath Rugby and its fans insisting that they stay at their spriritual home in a world heritage city throws up its challenges that even people with Bods imagination are finding hard to crack..

Boy (IP Logged)
24 March, 2012 11:21
Not sure sacking another head coach represents progress either. Tony Hanks has left them 'by mutual consent' after their 45-9 beating at home at the hands of Sarries last night.

Rampant (IP Logged)
24 March, 2012 11:36
Moving to the City of Salford stadium is a great move for the club. I used to play for Sale when at Heywood Rd and as cosy as it was, it was never a good location for a pro club. I've never been to Stockport but I believe the facilities were shocking.

Combining assets with Salford City Reds makes sense for both clubs. Plus a lot of Union support is in Cheshire & the location of the new ground can tap into this a lot easier than before. It's also close to the Trafford Centre so some clever marketing could attract a new audience from there

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e358/chilliefish/Rugby2-2-1.jpg

Boy (IP Logged)
24 March, 2012 14:48
It may be close to the Trafford Centre, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's easy to get to. Some serious concerns on the Sale board about the public transport links. I've been going to Stockport for the past eight years or so to watch Bath, and while it's not the league's most luxurious ground, it's only two minutes walk from the train station so at least people can get there.

Rampant (IP Logged)
24 March, 2012 21:00
Buses run every 12mins from Manchester City Centre & the Trafford Centre to the Stadium.

Its effectively a similar set up to London Irish and Worcester grounds. You either get the bus or drive and use one of the 600 free parking spaces

Boy (IP Logged)
25 March, 2012 12:34
They're every 12 minutes at peak times, but are as infrequent as every 30 mins at non-peak, so getting away at 9.30pm after a Friday night game is going to be a problem for a lot of people.

MikeGC (IP Logged)
25 March, 2012 12:54
with an advertised 8pm k.o. (per Diamond) there won't be many 9:30 get aways.
Also, SCR currently attract about 4.5K to a home game and getting in and out is nightmarish (my cousin is an STH) the main problem being one roundabout feeding from the M60. In the weeks approaching and just after Christmas the Trafford Centre is almost a 'no go' area due to the traffic chaos. IF the new road scheme had been approved (and started) and IF there were sufficient public transport, it might have been a good move. However, in conversation, many current fans will not be attending at Barton.

Beer Belly (IP Logged)
26 March, 2012 09:20
Quote:
Rampant
Buses run every 12mins from Manchester City Centre & the Trafford Centre to the Stadium.

Plus the tramway is being extended to Trafford Park.

MikeGC (IP Logged)
26 March, 2012 18:02
hmm, it's about 4 miles from Trafford Park to the stadium, though.....

Rampant (IP Logged)
26 March, 2012 20:54
Good stroll to work off the Boddingtons..

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net