rugbyunion
Latest News:

Only Really the Back Row Good Enough
rodoftherec (IP Logged)
01 April, 2012 09:53
When everyone is fit I think we can field as good a back row as anyone else.
As for the rest :
Bendy - for all the love in on ere - is hardly 100% secure under the high ball and his much vaunted counter attacks mostly result in turnovers to the opposition.
Centres are average - as Nabuk said Hipkiss and Vesty are tigers rejects - I wonder why.
MC ( another ere love in ) is not at all bad and rarely does anything terrible but is never a game changer.
OB has had one serious injury too many I fear.
Donald has yet to deliver and it is too early for TH.
Class is so far past his sell by date no one can remember it - as above the youngsters are not ready yet.
Second row is OK but it stops there - good around the park but seriously lacking at the set piece.
Front row has been done to death and is not worth commenting on.
Finally on the wings Biggs is beyond criticism in my view and Woodburn is young yet.
Banners reminds me of Jim Fallon some years back - one great season when he took the opposition by surprise, one not to bad season and then quickly faded into obscurity ( in his case with RL ).
So whoever comes in as coach I really don't think we have the personnel to be top flight. Good coaching and young player development may get us comfortably mid table but we need ( IMO of course ) at lease seven or eight signings in key positions to hit the top four. They don't need to be big name signings - just a fair bit better than what we have !

Re: Only Really the Back Row Good Enough
stuckinlondon (IP Logged)
01 April, 2012 09:56
Disagree, our back row has some class but we can not field a balanced world class back row.

We do not have an out and out class 7. Fearns is not there yet and IMO I think he is more suited to 6, Louw again is a 6 IMO. Mercer is not there yet, Ovens may have potential Skirving and Taylor are good 8's but not world class.

TCM2007 (IP Logged)
01 April, 2012 10:30
"World class back row"? News flash, we're a Premiership club, not a tier one nation. Shall we keep squad ambition levels realistic?

Stuart

Former ed.

Beergoggles (IP Logged)
01 April, 2012 10:46
We need a proper scavaging open side with nouce, strength, and speed and possibly a bullocking no 8 to give so go forward. Add those to Fearns, Louw, Ovens, and Taylor and you've got a solid enough back row.

Certainly not good enough a it stands and I'm afraid Mercer needs to go an learn his trade somewhere before we know whether he's good enough.

hasta (IP Logged)
01 April, 2012 11:10
Quote:
Bendy - for all the love in on ere - is hardly 100% secure under the high ball and his much vaunted counter attacks mostly result in turnovers to the opposition.

What a lot of rubbish. He's a lot better under the high ball than he used to be and he very rarely turns the ball over. Certainly yesterday both of those aspects of his game were exemplary.

marshie10 (IP Logged)
01 April, 2012 11:37
Louw is the best "fetcher" in the league, he turns over more ball than Salvi does and concedes far less penalties in doing so; he tackles like a 6, fetches like a 7 and carries like an 8. To put it simply, he's a pretty complete player. I think Fearns is an outstanding player, huge in contact, clears out like a bulldozer, carries well and seems to be a leader (he captained Sedburgh - you have to have something about you to do that). Lastly I think Taylor is as solid as a rock, he's not flashy but he does a mountain of work. And when you have carriers like Fearns and Louw, Taylor compliments them very well. And with Ovens, Skirving and Mercer in reserve, I think we are in a very good position when it comes to the back row.

Bri (IP Logged)
01 April, 2012 12:33
Quote:
marshie10
Louw is the best "fetcher" in the league, he turns over more ball than Salvi does and concedes far less penalties in doing so; he tackles like a 6, fetches like a 7 and carries like an 8. To put it simply, he's a pretty complete player. I think Fearns is an outstanding player, huge in contact, clears out like a bulldozer, carries well and seems to be a leader (he captained Sedburgh - you have to have something about you to do that). Lastly I think Taylor is as solid as a rock, he's not flashy but he does a mountain of work. And when you have carriers like Fearns and Louw, Taylor compliments them very well. And with Ovens, Skirving and Mercer in reserve, I think we are in a very good position when it comes to the back row.

At least someone is talking sense,well today anyway.lol

marshie10 (IP Logged)
01 April, 2012 12:35
I do wonder if we'll bring in another back rower, or whether Skuse will be used more next season. Cash/cap dependent I'd imagine.

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net