rugbyunion
Latest News:

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
BRTV
King Curtis (IP Logged)
02 April, 2012 09:40
[www.bathrugby.com]

Superbly blunt and frank interviews from Bell and Hooper on BRTV.

Does Belly actually shed a tear at one point?

Strangely it is somewhat re-assuring to see how annoyed/upset they are at the performance.

Re: BRTV
dodger (IP Logged)
02 April, 2012 09:52
Belly sounds genuinely upset and did drop a hint about retirement and also that he should be dropped on that performance

King Curtis (IP Logged)
02 April, 2012 09:53
More than a hint. It was a confirmation surely?

dodger (IP Logged)
02 April, 2012 09:55
yeah we deffo need a a new prop then

Paul60 (IP Logged)
02 April, 2012 10:06
Very frank and honest assessment, but things need to improve.

It was not just the game on Saturday that was poor and lacking in passion and entertainment, there have been quite a few other instances this season when performances have been the same, (i.e. Home defeats to Sale, Harlequins, Gloucester).

It is true there are some good players at the club, and promising youngsters to come through, but a new direction is required unless Bath become one of the relegation candidates next season - which we all hope they will not be.

devizes bath fan (IP Logged)
02 April, 2012 10:18
I'd like to see the coaches be asked similar questions and be similarly honest.

marshie10 (IP Logged)
02 April, 2012 10:35
DBF, Brad and Haagy are distraught by the performance, Brad said it's the worst he's been involved with, that includes Worcester away and Sale at home this season. Belly I know is very upset and he's definitely hanging up his boots. Everyone at the club is aware of how bad that was, but they need our support and I think it is times like this where being a supporter is most important - when the chips are down. I will be going to Sale, and I look forward to it greatly.

The Oilman (IP Logged)
02 April, 2012 10:35
Belly was on Wilts radio this morning. Very contrite, I hope it runs through the whole team, coaches and management included.

Susanne (IP Logged)
02 April, 2012 10:48
Weirdly, I feel a lot better for watching that. It really does matter to them - and well done Stuart Hooper and coming out and giving a captain's interview for a performance he wasn't part of.

Bathbadger (IP Logged)
02 April, 2012 10:49
Belly does seem genuinely gutted from that Video, lets hope the only way is up from here.

Who is this "Frank Assessment" guy, French prop perhaps? winking smiley

Cheers,

Rich

B4thB4ck (IP Logged)
02 April, 2012 10:53
No doubt a lot of the posts on ERE and Twitter making abuse at the players are made after a few beers have added to the depression.

I don't like the direct attacks on individuals and fair play to Belly, Hoops and Flats (who seems to have spent time again answering insulting Tweets).

I only saw bits and pieces of the game on a pc screen, yes, very poor, no confidence across the whole game.

If I was in the team I would want the season to end as soon as possible bearing in mind the coaching changes which are coming up. Uncertainty in the future makes players lose focus and if some of the players secretly blame SIM for the style we play that won't help either.

I suspect players like Belly want to end their career on a high but probably can't see it happening due to a coaching situation outside their control. When that happens it does take the fight out of a team and it's then a downward spiral to the Amlin. Over to you Bruce and NB to sort out, this needs leadership.

02 April, 2012 10:58
Perhaps I should have said directors not coaches then Marshe.

marshie10 (IP Logged)
02 April, 2012 11:01
I think everyone is hurting, most of all Bruce. But I think it would be wrong for them to comment until the end of the season, or at the time any changes to the coaching set up are made.

B4thB4ck (IP Logged)
02 April, 2012 11:10
Just a hypothetical question, what does anyone think would happen during the last 3 games if SIM left the club this week?

I remember Leinster away when all was lost, then in the last 10 mins we played as if the shackles were off, with pace and running better lines.

At the time this was put down to Leinster backing off, but it was refreshing regardless.

If the players are over coached rather than playing on instinct would it be prudent or an over reaction for BC to take action?

It maybe too late to save the season but finishing on a high would still be important.

stuckinlondon (IP Logged)
02 April, 2012 11:14
"If there'd have been a bronze medal we'd have got that!"

Great line, nice to see that they care but I want to hear from above!

Humpo (IP Logged)
02 April, 2012 11:22
As people have echoed above, it is refreshing to see Belly's emotion and it shows that they really care. I personally don't believe that everyone is hugely passionate about the club. I am always hugely thankful when players like Belly and Flats (twitter) do apologise, either on twitter or interviews etc.

02 April, 2012 11:35
Quote:
marshie10
I think everyone is hurting, most of all Bruce. But I think it would be wrong for them to comment until the end of the season, or at the time any changes to the coaching set up are made.

Okay, I meant SIM.

Bri (IP Logged)
02 April, 2012 12:00
Looks like Gloucester,we are going with 6 props next year.

WestonDave (IP Logged)
02 April, 2012 12:03
I wouldn't have expected any other reaction from Belly - what annoys me about that piece is that whilst he is up there baring his soul and clearly struggling to keep it together, SIM is in the background casually kicking the grass as he chats to Hooper.

Yet again in the face of fiasco, our top man goes missing leaving the others to pick up the pieces and face the music. I really really don't understand why any organisation would allow that state of affairs unless there is a serious rift behind the scenes.

Gareth Redux (IP Logged)
02 April, 2012 12:07
It is refreshing and very welcome. Some have been calling for someone (anyone) to publicly put their hands up and take responsibility, I appreciate them doing that. I hope that honesty and candour permeate every nook and cranny of the club over the coming month and we get performances we can be proud of

TCM2007 (IP Logged)
02 April, 2012 12:09
Are you suggesting SIM refused to be interviewed by BRTV WestonDave? If not, I don't see your point.

Stuart

Former ed.

Gareth Redux (IP Logged)
02 April, 2012 12:11
I think he's suggesting SIM could/should have done a similar mea culpa to camera

TCM2007 (IP Logged)
02 April, 2012 12:13
From him, as he wasn't on the pitch, it could have easily come over as an attack on the players. I can see why that would not have been a good idea.

Stuart

Former ed.

Bathovalballer (IP Logged)
02 April, 2012 12:24
Belly does care-look at how he has played over the years!

Hooper- no he doesn't and he is still full of the right phrases! He is one of the reasons we are in this mess and should/needs to go! He is neither big, strong or hard enough to be a top class second row!Pay him off as soon as possible.

Whether we had won or lost, SIM should still have fronted up like all us supporters (and we have been here a lot longer than him) but no he would rather chat in the background! Says a lot to me about what Bath Rugby Club means to him- nothing apart from a meal ticket!

Made me angry watching that with a true Bath man who is honoured to wear the BB & W and two others mentioned who don't!

TCM2007 (IP Logged)
02 April, 2012 12:25
Ridiculous comments about Hooper.

Stuart

Former ed.

02 April, 2012 12:27
TCM would you play him over Caldwell or Attwood?

TCM2007 (IP Logged)
02 April, 2012 12:29
No, but I wouldn't claim he doesn't care and should be sacked either.

Stuart

Former ed.

02 April, 2012 12:36
TCM, How can he be Club Captain and not deserve hios place in the side? Am I going nuts or is the thinking on this site that Bath Rugby are a charity and we support also rans? With that attitude we will win (and have won) absolutely nothing!

Replace him with a nasty man mountain who can push, win ball, punch and carry. Thats all I am saying and would say it about anyone who is not up to the job!

WestonDave (IP Logged)
02 April, 2012 12:41
I have no idea Stuart whether SIM refused an interview.

What I do think is that putting up one of the few players in the squad who's commitment is beyond question and who was nowhere near the worst performer in the game, is a very savvy PR move.

Of course putting SIM up for interview is fraught with difficulty because in effect he'd potentially shoot himself in the foot either way - if his gameplan was wrong (either for that game or for our squad of players) then he'd have to admit that, or if the players didn't carry out his gameplan, he'd be open to questions about whether he's lost the dressing room. Yes he might have tried to attack the players but if he had it would have said as much about himself as the players.

I've said elsewhere that the club puts out volumes of material but that the information content is very limited. So Belly is gutted at losing - hands up anyone that found that newsworthy?

Susanne (IP Logged)
02 April, 2012 12:41
United are playing the Navy tomorrow night - might be an antidote to Saturday!

Details here

TCM2007 (IP Logged)
02 April, 2012 12:42
He shouldn't be club captain, as he's not a nailed on starter. Again, I wouldn't claim he doesn't care and should be sacked.

Your repeated belief that sackings and increased "nastiness" are the way forward is consistent, I'll give you that.

Stuart

Former ed.

Susanne (IP Logged)
02 April, 2012 12:43
Quote:
WestonDave
hands up anyone that found that newsworthy?

Me. Not necessarily massive news, but I felt better for hearing/seeing it.

marshie10 (IP Logged)
02 April, 2012 12:52
Bathovalballer is probably one of the ones that players think are poisonous, and I totally agree with them. Whilst being a nice chap, Bob your postings are ridiculously radical. We'd have a squad of 5 players if you were to sack the ones you wanted. We miss Hooper enormously in the line-out and we miss his leadership. He may not be a 35 stone bully, which seems to be the criteria you want for our locks, but he's a player that is very respected by the squad. Alex Crockett was club captain, he didn't start every game...

Rob (IP Logged)
02 April, 2012 13:30
Hmmmmm. Maybe Bathovalballer is saying what a lot of what people are thinking, but then put it in a more "Bathonian/ Brittish" way.

We are lacking in a lot of areas. Wheather coaching changes would make us a top 4 side...... Doubt it. Maybe top 6. However Certainly not fighting it out at HQ.

02 April, 2012 13:40
Why is he resoected Marshie? For being a nice guy or a true leader of men? Pray tell?

Sorry Marshie but Radical is what is needed! The gentle approach has not worked for 14 years!

marshie10 (IP Logged)
02 April, 2012 13:48
He's respected because he is rated as a very good player by the team, not all second rows need to be brutes. He is a class operator in the line-out. He's clearly a very good leader, he captained Leeds as well, chosen by the now England coach. He may not be one of our best two locks but that doesn't make him a bad player, and it doesn't mean he can't be club captain.

I don't think the radical approach is needed, I think things need tweaking.

02 April, 2012 13:50
Lets hope (truly I want Bath to do well) we don't have to wait for the 'tweaking' you talk about!

marshie10 (IP Logged)
02 April, 2012 13:59
We will have to wait for the DoR to go, that'll be the tweak. Because the players are definitely good enough, but we need everyone to be reading from the same hymn sheet. And we need to play to our strengths.

WestonDave (IP Logged)
02 April, 2012 14:04
Chron Link

Hints in the Chronicle that changes might be iminent - certainly Tom Bradshaw doesn't pull any punches with his opinion piece!

Gareth Redux (IP Logged)
02 April, 2012 14:11
Go on, Stu, Marshie, tell me what you think of Bradshaw's harsh words.

It could be construed as negativity and whingeing I guess, by certain criteria n'est ce pas?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2012 14:14 by Gareth Redux.

marshie10 (IP Logged)
02 April, 2012 14:18
I think Tom's words are to the point and accurate, I don't personally think that wholesale changes are the way forward though.

Gareth Redux (IP Logged)
02 April, 2012 14:24
He's Merely articulated what many of us #pi$$ersandmoaners have said here.

marshie10 (IP Logged)
02 April, 2012 14:28
He hasn't been specific on names though, he also hasn't gone onto Twitter and aggravated them.

OutsideBath (IP Logged)
02 April, 2012 14:43
I really can't see the point of Twitter, seems to be more trouble than it's worth.

Gareth Redux (IP Logged)
02 April, 2012 14:43
Nor have I

Bri (IP Logged)
02 April, 2012 14:45
Our line out is missing Hoops.He was the players choice as captain,I rate him.

Gareth Redux (IP Logged)
02 April, 2012 14:47
Bri,

So do I

marshie10 (IP Logged)
02 April, 2012 15:13
Gareth, you aggravated Flatman a couple of weeks ago.

TCM2007 (IP Logged)
02 April, 2012 15:20
Quote:
Gareth Redux
Go on, Stu, Marshie, tell me what you think of Bradshaw's harsh words.
It could be construed as negativity and whingeing I guess, by certain criteria n'est ce pas?

Any piece so well argued and measured as that on ERE would not be classed as negativity.

Note at no point does he call for individual players to be sacked, call anyone names, describe anyone as being shameful, start swearing, question the players right to put on the shirt, demand any contracts are cancelled or players sent home, claim that the players showed no commitment etc etc .

I don't agree with him that the main difference between this season and last is Steve Meehan, but that's a matter of opinion.

Stuart

Former ed.

02 April, 2012 15:49
Well written and very fair piece by Tom B and hope beyond hope Bruce both reads it, understands how the fans feel, and more importantly. acts upon it!!!

Trying not to be 'poisoness', just going along with the sentiment of the watching public! (Might include a few 'retirements' and 'taking up other oportunities' but of course no sackings! That would be too radical!)

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net