rugbyunion
Latest News:

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Open Letter From Bruce Craig
Bri (IP Logged)
05 April, 2012 08:48
[www.bathrugby.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/04/2012 09:16 by Bri.

Re: From Bruce
Bri (IP Logged)
05 April, 2012 08:53
Thank you Mr Craig,I never doubted your commitment to the Club..let's all get behind the new coach when he is installed.

callmeMrTibbs (IP Logged)
05 April, 2012 08:55
" our aim will be to concentrate on producing hard, attacking rugby with a style of play that our supporters associate with Bath Rugby..."

So no more replicating Leicester or Sarries then. Thank God for that!

And no mention of Geech. A painful period in our history best forgotten.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/04/2012 08:56 by callmeMrTibbs.

Re: Open Letter From Bruce Craig
The Oilman (IP Logged)
05 April, 2012 09:20
An opportunity to stop looking back at what was and look forward to what will be...yes will be!

WestonDave (IP Logged)
05 April, 2012 09:28
I guess you learn more from making mistakes than anything else - so fair play to him for being big enough to front up.

If anything starting from such a low point means that we should at least see some improvement to help keep us encouraged - I'm not expecting us to be championship contender material instantly next season. The key really is to get the development systems in place to ensure long term sustainable production of our own great players - buying them from other people either means paying over the odds or getting the ones they don't think are good enough!

Bod (IP Logged)
05 April, 2012 09:31
Very twee!
Just get on with it, thanks!

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_dOg4Ljp3kh8/Sf89bRrqecI/AAAAAAAAAJY/eJCF1kt4b0E/s200/DON%27T-SHOOT-THE-MESSENGER1.jpg

Boy (IP Logged)
05 April, 2012 09:38
Last week people were criticising Craig and Blofeld for falling silently recently, now BC writes this pretty honest appraisal and it's 'twee' and they should just get on with it?

Damned if they do, damned if they don't.

Rob (IP Logged)
05 April, 2012 09:41
Absolutely the correct thing to do.

To the future ladies and gents.(Sm128)

Allez Bath

Bri (IP Logged)
05 April, 2012 09:43
Let's hope the next coach doesn't tail gate Bod.

Bod (IP Logged)
05 April, 2012 09:44
Indeed SZ , just get on with it - the communication is appreciated, but we've had these platitudes before.
I'm sure the ST holders will be awaiting news on Coaching set-up and new signings and BC2 will be aware of this.
I cannot for the life of me understand why he keeps SIM on until the end of season - PR for brand SIM I guess "Given the bums-rush from post" doesn't sit well on a CV I guess.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_dOg4Ljp3kh8/Sf89bRrqecI/AAAAAAAAAJY/eJCF1kt4b0E/s200/DON%27T-SHOOT-THE-MESSENGER1.jpg

Professor Griff (IP Logged)
05 April, 2012 09:46
Nothing groundbreaking in the letter, but fair play for Bruce saying something and shows he cares as much as we do about Bath Rugby.

SIM's Bath Rugby is dead, Long live Bath Rugby

David Sisi Adopted player 2013/14

"You're going to need a bigger boat"

Bri (IP Logged)
05 April, 2012 09:48
SIM's Bath Rugby is dead, Long live Bath Rugby[/quote]

I have a feeling Sir Ian has a trick up his sleeve with selection in the last three games

Boy (IP Logged)
05 April, 2012 09:51
Quote:
Ex-Bod
I cannot for the life of me understand why he keeps SIM on until the end of season - PR for brand SIM I guess "Given the bums-rush from post" doesn't sit well on a CV I guess.

Or maybe the cost of buying out his contract, and the fact that it would leave an already small coaching team even more thinly-stretched doesn't make a whole lot of sense?

Professor Griff (IP Logged)
05 April, 2012 09:52
[quote Bri]SIM's Bath Rugby is dead, Long live Bath Rugby[/quote]

I have a feeling Sir Ian has a trick up his sleeve with selection in the last three games[/quote]

SIM's going to pick BOD (Sm126)

OBinexile (IP Logged)
05 April, 2012 09:54
Don't spose at the age of 65 SIM gives a toss about his cv Bod. In my view SIM's done a lot of really good groundwork - I now fully expect a top-grade coach to come and take on the job to prove his worth. What bigger challenge than to take on the squad that SIM failed with and turn them into winners.....

(Sm161)

OBinExile

Bod (IP Logged)
05 April, 2012 09:55
For the last 3 games SZ? After a weeks' holiday?
You'd expect the players to be up for it - they're playing for their positions next season aren't they?
SIMs been so far off the radar screen this season I doubt if anyone would notice!
They have racks of coaches up at FF - just lots of the wrong ones!

Jaydeeone (IP Logged)
05 April, 2012 09:57
Thanks Bruce. Onwards and upwards.

Bod (IP Logged)
05 April, 2012 09:58
"SIM's done a lot of really good groundwork"

???

Sorted out the herbaceous borders, hanging baskets and spring bulb selections at Farleigh d'you mean?

OBinexile (IP Logged)
05 April, 2012 10:13
Maybe you missed the sarcasm at the end bod.

I was implying that SIM has made the job more interesting for a coach because it seems to be a big challenge because he failed. If you're a coach with ambition then taking on the Bath position would seem to be an opportunity to challenge yourself against someone that most rugby players/supporters think is successful.

Also, as I've said before, saw some of the home-grown players have been given a real chance this season. That has got to be the way forward. We need to make sure that they are actually good enough of course.

Life isn't black and white (or even All Black!), everyones got strengths and weaknesses. SIMs strengths weren't good enough to create a squad out of the players that he brought in. Still looks a good squad on paper though.

OBinExile

05 April, 2012 10:24
[quote callmeMrTibbs]" our aim will be to concentrate on producing hard, attacking rugby with a style of play that our supporters associate with Bath Rugby..."

Mr T, I thought that was the most telling sentence in the letter. Seemed to me to be a direct response to criticism seen on ERE.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/04/2012 11:32 by abendanon-anon-anon.

johnnyf (IP Logged)
05 April, 2012 10:25
A season to forget - shame really!

Why does it take only 2 years for the failings of a lone H of R / Head Coach / Transitional Organiser, to bring down the aspirations of supporters who have been loyal to the club for aeons?

Rudy McRude (IP Logged)
05 April, 2012 10:30
So sacking the boss BEFORE the end of the season.. AND during a vital recruitment period?????????

Does that sound very clever?

Smacks of panic to me.... but i am sure you are more interested in just getting rid of SIM at any cost.

Miles Offside (IP Logged)
05 April, 2012 10:37
I'm going to take that letter at face value and say Thank You Mr Craig - yes it's been disappointing, yes it hurts, yes we believe it can get better. Thank you for coming forward & saying so.

Reading that letter has retained my faith for the future.

And Mr Craig - just ignore Bod/ex-Bod, unless you find his bitter malicious kiwi ar5e-water rantings entertaining.

(Sm109)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/04/2012 10:40 by Miles Offside.

ken_jnr (IP Logged)
05 April, 2012 10:51
There probably is an element of STH placating, though for all the talk on ERE the attendences have still been good this year.

However, fair play to him for the letter. At least he acknowledges there are issues.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e87/ken_jnr/KEN_JNRcopy.jpg

Toast and Marmite (IP Logged)
05 April, 2012 11:16
Quote:
Miles Offside
Mr Craig - just ignore Bod/ex-Bod, unless you find his bitter malicious kiwi ar5e-water rantings entertaining

thumbs down

cb2 (IP Logged)
05 April, 2012 11:20
I am concerned that Craig still believes that our squad is about right. We were told at the start of the season that it was the best since we went pro and despite everything pointing to the contrary we are still be told that it is "as competitive as any in the Premiership".

We were also told that we would make a signing which would make the rugby world stand up and take note. Now we will simply be making a "few new signings arriving over the summer". The only note other clubs should be taking of our signings is how not to do it.

Bath is a club which is a million miles away from achieving the aim of becoming one of the outstanding clubs in Europe. Bruce Craig had high hopes at first but this letter is very worrying.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v248/cb2cb2/rainb03.jpg

CoochieCoo (IP Logged)
05 April, 2012 11:26
Well done Bruce. It is clear to me that this sorry episode is really hurting BC and NB and yes the lessons have been learned hopefully.

Now we await the real news of who is arriving to take this great Club onwards and upwards.

http://zdgzqa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1p7Mwi7pLXeM89TY2KFdDQ-UUDGSv1FKNdhYdrW-koAuRN3tsqCPfE3onFxuO-3cZ0057Tom1uJai3vjkz3dvY_Q/1998%20Euro%20Champs.jpg http://zdgzqa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pFul9UAV5zEXOzeRc1kmmlgDKXTYTIlTnGoQzYelH6KzdCeU-exN0IGo74QN2OGvlSoEiVjzAESvHx9BFlBsNFA/Bath%202008.jpg

05 April, 2012 11:49
Quote:
cb2
We were also told that we would make a signing which would make the rugby world stand up and take note. Now we will simply be making a "few new signings arriving over the summer". The only note other clubs should be taking of our signings is how not to do it.

Though to be fair cb2 how many of the best signings in the Premiership arrived with much of a fanfare? Evans? Hardly, despite his AB pedigree. Brits? Not really. Castro? Not that I can remember. Even Louw arrived relatively unheralded [as did Salvi, Carraro, Maddock, etc.]

So I'd prefer we sign players that have their best years to come rather than the supposed 'big names'.

Susanne (IP Logged)
05 April, 2012 11:50
What Miles and Cooch said. thumbs down

http://i43.tinypic.com/2rwrq7p.jpg

Rob Webber - my hooker for 2013/14 (I'll try not to break this one mid-season!)

cb2 (IP Logged)
05 April, 2012 12:07
"Best years to come" is exactly it or at least that they can give us something like their best and that they are not injured.

Look at three recent signings for us:

Moody - England captain in World Cup year with a history of injuries. Stupid signing.

Eastmond - Rugby League player who had worrying injury problems for such a young player and came with something of a reputation. Not helped Bath this season.

Donald - A very expensive mistake.

And as for the "learned the lessons" theory. If we get a load of new coaches in then who has learned these lessons exactly?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v248/cb2cb2/rainb03.jpg

B4thB4ck (IP Logged)
05 April, 2012 12:18
I think BC has probably wanted to say that for some time but couldn't until SIMs departure was announced.

The TV pics of him celebrating our tries and wincing at our failures tells us what he feels about things.

Despite being described by some as just an 'owner' he is obviously one with his own playing history at a high level, that fact was welcomed by everyone when he took over.

What could be better than a wealthy owner with a good playing background, local history and high ambition? His playing history suggests he appreciates flair too.

I welcome the letter and the mistakes of his first appointments have been acknowledged. Onwards and upwards starting not next season, but next week.

Old Bathonian (IP Logged)
05 April, 2012 12:50
Quote:
cb2
"Best years to come" is exactly it or at least that they can give us something like their best and that they are not injured.

Moody - England captain in World Cup year with a history of injuries. Stupid signing.

Eastmond - Rugby League player who had worrying injury problems for such a young player and came with something of a reputation. Not helped Bath this season.

And as for the "learned the lessons" theory. If we get a load of new coaches in then who has learned these lessons exactly?

This.

If only 3 thing are learnt from this season they should be;

Don't buy aging cast-off's

Don't buy injury prone chancer's

Don't panic buy.

Roll on 2012/13.........

DanWiley (IP Logged)
05 April, 2012 12:55
"Moody - England captain in World Cup year with a history of injuries. Stupid signing. "

We signed an England player on a three year contract the year before the WC. I agree his (and Eastmond's) injury history was a gamble.

Given our back row depth and the fact we're not short on backs in general, I don't think either was a panic buy.

Donald might have been.

Stuart Anderton (IP Logged)
05 April, 2012 13:24
Quote:
Old Bathonian

Don't buy aging cast-off's

Don't buy injury prone chancer's

Don't panic buy.

Aside from not really understanding what you mean by "chancers", a dose of realism is required. Many on here want a lot of staff turnover in a hurry - doing that without breaking those guidelines would be virtually impossible. Good up and coming young players tend not to come on to the market much; their current clubs lock them in early with extensions.

We've taken some gambles, but you can't fault the ambition of signing the England captain, a WC final winning 10 (for the second WC in a row!), and more recently a current England international hooker. The idea that we are not aiming high enough with recruitment, as put forward by some, is patently barking.

Whether Moody was a success or failure rather depends on how much he ended up costing us, given his England absences, the extra you get paid for having a WC player in your squad, and injuries which may have been covered by insurance. It's not impossible that he was quite good value for the games he played, which as has been pointed out before, we mostly won.

Jury should still be out on Donald or Eastmond for anyone without a prejudice.

Stuart

Editor of Come On My Lovers

Don't be a grey outline, set up your avatar

Join the COML Facebook Group

Follow COML on Twitter

OutsideBath (IP Logged)
05 April, 2012 13:27
Got to give the guy some credit for acknowledging the shambles this season has been. Lets hope he can put it right for next season.

BathHalfFull (IP Logged)
05 April, 2012 13:36
[/quote]Jury should still be out on Donald or Eastmond for anyone without a prejudice.[/quote]

Completely agree with this. Both will be more frustrated than we are i imagine but I hope with a proper preseason over the summer both will show us what they have got to offer next season and I am excited to see what that is and will judge them on next season.

As for Bruce's letter - good on him. Onwards and upwards.
Also agree that would rather SIM wasn't involved in the last 3 games but i hope he plays our youngsters and unshackles the team and allows them to go out and ENJOY themselves. After a long season i imagine they will need that as much as us.

Armchair Fan (IP Logged)
05 April, 2012 13:48
Quote:
callmeMrTibbs
...So no more replicating Leicester or Sarries then. Thank God for that!...

I wasn't aware that we were replicating them. That would involve finishing in the top two of the table, premiership finals, maybe even winning the final. You know, all that 'boring' stuff smiling smiley

Debates play to the emotions, to soundbites, to oratorical flourishes and, all too often, to sheer volume. They may make for good drama, but they do not make for good understanding. - Richard Dawkins

OutsideBath (IP Logged)
05 April, 2012 13:53
Or playing in this weekend's HK 1/4 final, what a nightmare that would be... [:wor kid:]

05 April, 2012 14:07
Or could it be that there's more than one way of achieving success?

For every achingly boring side like Sarries there's a Toulouse, Leinster, Canterbury Crusaders or Queensland Reds who play with flair and win. After all that was once the Bath way! And for the record I'm not advocating a team of show-ponies; just a decent mix between grunt and style.

[I will forgive Leicester though, latterly they've been good to watch.]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/04/2012 14:08 by callmeMrTibbs.

P G Tips (IP Logged)
05 April, 2012 15:05
Bravo Mr Craig!

I look forward to next season - nuff said!

PG

Armchair Fan (IP Logged)
05 April, 2012 17:28
[quote callmeMrTibbs]...And for the record I'm not advocating a team of show-ponies; just a decent mix between grunt and style...[quote]

I could go with that smiling smiley

Debates play to the emotions, to soundbites, to oratorical flourishes and, all too often, to sheer volume. They may make for good drama, but they do not make for good understanding. - Richard Dawkins

3Quarter (IP Logged)
06 April, 2012 00:46
Nice to hear that the season has been a disaster, but we all knew that, the worrying thing is that he believes we have a good squad. Take each of our players and ask how many would get into the teams of the top four in the premiership - maybe one or two is that answer. Must be very hard to be objective when you are so close but it seems to me we are quite a few players short of a top squad. Maybe the new coach will see it differently.

Think there may have been some concern about ST sales this year.

ballsout (IP Logged)
06 April, 2012 00:51
Quote:
cb2

Sadly agree with this. Stupid signings.

If we survive the top flight at the end of next season, I expect a big clear-out from the new coach so he can build his own squad.

Stuart Anderton (IP Logged)
06 April, 2012 02:11
Quote:
ballsout

If we survive the top flight .

(Sm16)

Stuart

Editor of Come On My Lovers

Don't be a grey outline, set up your avatar

Join the COML Facebook Group

Follow COML on Twitter

Old Fat Prop (IP Logged)
06 April, 2012 06:49
Sign of weakness in BC.

Never apologise.

I had a County Trial once...

they found me guilty.....

OFP

Old Bathonian (IP Logged)
06 April, 2012 08:59
[/quote]
Jury should still be out on Donald or Eastmond for anyone without a prejudice.[/quote]

No the jury is only out for people like you who can never admit they were wrong......

Jaydeeone (IP Logged)
06 April, 2012 09:09
There's been a lot wrong with this season but I don't accept that Donald and Eastmond have been particularly high on the list. Donald is a very decent (not exceptional) fly-half who's arrived half fit and playing in a team that isn't suited to his style of play. I confess to not being a RL offianado but it seems that all KE has done is be injured - clearly you don't like the lad, which is your prerogative, but given he has hardly played (and not likely to be on a huge whack money-wise), I'm prepared to cut him a lot of slack. Personally I'm still looking forward to seeing a fully fit Donald and looks like I'll have to wait for next season now.

Bri (IP Logged)
06 April, 2012 09:20
Eastmond could turn out to be our best signing to date.he'll be nearly up to speed with the game and laws( which takes time)and he was really gutted on Tuesday when he pulled up,his family and friends came to watch.The poor lad is injured and nothing more,hardly his fault.

Bod (IP Logged)
06 April, 2012 09:31
Ironically Bri, it must be due to poor conditioning

Bri (IP Logged)
06 April, 2012 09:36
Hopefully with all the experts we have you would hope not.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net