12 April, 2012 11:55

Re: Farrell Turns Down England
joehousewife (IP Logged)
12 April, 2012 12:00
How does this affect us?

gibbo15 (IP Logged)
12 April, 2012 12:05
Think Blocks means that someone like Catty might now go for England rather than Bath

pubtime (IP Logged)
12 April, 2012 12:29
based on their performance in the HC the job at Sorries isn't even a quarter done!! I bet they made him an offer he couldn't refuse in a desperate attempt to keep him..

And maybe Catts future is already determined???

"Diamond confirmed the club are in final negotiations for a new director of rugby/head coach to replace Tony Hanks. “It should be finalised by the end of the season,” he revealed. “The guy is currently in the Premiership and we need to do things correctly."

callmeMrTibbs (IP Logged)
12 April, 2012 12:33
Torygraph strongly speculated this morning that Sale's man will be Redpath.

But given he signed a 3 year contract at Glaws last year it seems unlikely.

Griff (IP Logged)
12 April, 2012 12:34
Quote:
pubtime
And maybe Catts future is already determined???
"Diamond confirmed the club are in final negotiations for a new director of rugby/head coach to replace Tony Hanks. “It should be finalised by the end of the season,” he revealed. “The guy is currently in the Premiership and we need to do things correctly."

Maybe it's SIM!! Possibly could be Booth, not sure Catt's done enough yet to prove he's a headcoach

Blocks2u (IP Logged)
12 April, 2012 12:34
Thanks gibbo I didn't think I was being that obscure.

Ian

pubtime (IP Logged)
12 April, 2012 12:39
yes but according to the press he is considering three offers with an explicit link with Sale and Bath.. The third being unknown (England?)

ballsout (IP Logged)
12 April, 2012 12:50
Lancaster/the RFU hopefully wouldn't be that stupid to give him a job when there are better candidates out there and waiting

callmeMrTibbs (IP Logged)
12 April, 2012 12:51
Quote:
ballsout
Lancaster/the RFU hopefully wouldn't be that stupid to give him a job when there are better candidates out there and waiting

Meehan for example?

12 April, 2012 13:14
Or Brian Ashton.

Optimist (IP Logged)
12 April, 2012 13:24
Maybe a factor was that Farrell Snr felt it would be better for his son if he was not involved.

ballsout (IP Logged)
12 April, 2012 13:28
Forget Ashton or Meehan, if the RFU don't get Wayne Smith on board now it'll be a monumental ****-up.

3Quarter (IP Logged)
12 April, 2012 13:48
Interesting that Saracens want to keep Farrell and did not roll over when England called - unless you take it at face value and Farrell does not rate the England job, if so why has he been involved so far?

Rampant (IP Logged)
12 April, 2012 14:28
Not sure why Wayne Smith would want to join England to be an assistant coach? At least under Henry he essentially operated as a sort of Head Coach. Surely Lancaster is much more hands on than Henry which will make any role under him more junior.
I guess money talks though..

Redpath obviously has strong links to Sale, I always thought his next move is either there or to take over from Robbo at Scotland.

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e358/chilliefish/Rugby2-2-1.jpg

ballsout (IP Logged)
12 April, 2012 14:32
Quote:
Rampant
Not sure why Wayne Smith would want to join England to be an assistant coach? At least under Henry he essentially operated as a sort of Head Coach. Surely Lancaster is much more hands on than Henry which will make any role under him more junior.
I guess money talks though..

Redpath obviously has strong links to Sale, I always thought his next move is either there or to take over from Robbo at Scotland.

Because he said he'd be keen on an assistant coach role with England and didn't want the top job.

Farrell staying at Sarries
The Oilman (IP Logged)
12 April, 2012 14:25
Looks like he has his eye on a much bigger prize.
[www.telegraph.co.uk]

Re: Farrell staying at Sarries
The Oilman (IP Logged)
12 April, 2012 14:29
Quote:
The Oilman
Looks like he has his eye on a much bigger prize.
[www.telegraph.co.uk]

Sorry Blocks, I see you got the rte first.

Rampant (IP Logged)
12 April, 2012 14:40
Quote:
Wayne Smith said:
My preference would be to be the head coach, but the environment we had in the All Blacks with Graham and Steve meant you were like a head coach because we had the same accountability.

ballsout (IP Logged)
12 April, 2012 14:54

Re: Farrell staying at Sarries
Blocks2u (IP Logged)
12 April, 2012 14:59
Quote:
The Oilman

Sorry Blocks, I see you got the rte first.

Not an issue, expansion of the breaking story is a good post.

Ian

Rampant (IP Logged)
12 April, 2012 14:59
Didn't realise he was so unambitious..

ballsout (IP Logged)
12 April, 2012 15:01
Quote:
Rampant
Didn't realise he was so unambitious..

England attack/assistant coach is unambitious?

Could be worse, he could want the Scotland attack coach job.

Rampant (IP Logged)
12 April, 2012 15:37
BO - He was assistant coach at the best international team in the World. So moving to a similar role at either England or Scotland with (likely) less ownership is certainly unambitious.

Which Tyler (IP Logged)
12 April, 2012 17:26
Get Smith and Ellis.
If England don't - could we please?

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3789/9516248130_a944476b5b_z.jpg
Adopting the KPN method. ___ To fertilise Roses K:12 P:8 N:6
A man who cannot change his mind, cannot change anything
RAEBURN SHIELD

ballsout (IP Logged)
12 April, 2012 17:46
Ellis' defensive record with France was awful, he'd be a step down from Ford and certainly Farrell.

comedowner (IP Logged)
12 April, 2012 20:05
I can understand farrell not doing the job,wants owen to stand on his own

comedowner (IP Logged)
12 April, 2012 20:07
We need Catt I hope we get him

annie blackthorn (IP Logged)
12 April, 2012 22:25
Interesting he has turned it down.
Maybe feels the time is not right and he would do better to stay at Sarries for a while longer honing his skills.

Could be a conflict of interest with his son being in the team - although who knows if this would be a good or a bad thing for England squad as a whole?

Francois Louw
Proud to be wearing the BB&W and feared by all who play in the English Prem!

Rampant (IP Logged)
13 April, 2012 08:47
Wayne Smith is in the papers this morning saying he's had no contact with the RFU about any coaching roles.
Looks likely it's Catt getting the role then

ballsout (IP Logged)
13 April, 2012 11:09
Quote:
Papers last night
Sportsmail understands the RFU have already begun the Plan B process of hastening their attempts to lure Smith from Waikato Chiefs. The former Northampton coach was an experienced side-kick to Graham Henry as New Zealand won the World Cup at home last year.
Smith has long been linked with an England coaching job, having indicated his desire to return to international rugby from September — after the first year of his contract with the Chiefs — and an apparent willingness to work for Lancaster, despite his novice status in Test terms. It is thought that, having become resigned to Farrell’s impending rejection, the RFU have begun exploring the possibility of recruiting their Kiwi target sooner than had been thought possible.

While that tournament is the distant focal point, the pressing matter is arranging a coaching team for the three-Test South Africa tour. Sources in New Zealand last night indicated that Smith remains adamant he will not leave the Chiefs during the current Super 15 season.

However, there is a potential window of opportunity, as the southern-hemisphere competition has a three-week rest period for the June internationals — from June 2 until June 29. England play the Springboks on June 9, 16 and 23 so the RFU could raise the notion of Smith joining the national team in South Africa on secondment from the Chiefs before taking up a full-time role later in the summer. It would not be ideal for either party, but it would allow him to familiarise himself with the squad.

Crucially, he is not the man in charge at Waikato — that is Dave Rennie. The RFU are sure to be able to offer significant financial incentives to engineer a deal prior to the date of the Super 15 final on August 4.

Optimist (IP Logged)
13 April, 2012 12:51
From the Guardian report: "Talks between the RFU and Saracens went on for two weeks and did not involve Farrell."

I wonder if Sarries - who's special PR team love to promote the idea that they are supportive of all things England - actually stood in his way?

Rampant (IP Logged)
13 April, 2012 16:33
Quote:
Alex Spink in the Mirror this morning
World Cup-winning Kiwi coach Wayne Smith, the popular alternative to Farrell, confirmed to Mirror Sport last night that he had not been approached, nor had any contact with the RFU.

Although of course, he could be an honourable man and keeping quiet during negotiations

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 13/04/2012 16:34 by Rampant.

mines a black rat (IP Logged)
13 April, 2012 17:39
I hope so Rampant as I feel he has the nous and man management skills to bring on our young tyros.

Have you found the Black Rat?? I have!!

http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/x373/minesablackrat/Blackrat.jpg

OLoingseach (IP Logged)
13 April, 2012 18:01
Quote:
callmeMrTibbs
Meehan for example?
He's doing a Psychology degree back in Oz (part of his golden parachute perhaps?)

Rampant (IP Logged)
14 April, 2012 00:15
The Telegraph have a story that Alex King could be in the frame too. I didn't realise that he was coaching at Clermont
LINKY HERE

ballsout (IP Logged)
14 April, 2012 01:36
[www.dailymail.co.uk]

Smith appointment looking more and more likely. Don't mess this up RFU!!

Bod (IP Logged)
14 April, 2012 17:00
Quote:
Rampant
The Telegraph have a story that Alex King could be in the frame too. I didn't realise that he was coaching at Clermont
LINKY HERE

Doing a proper apprenticeship - the RFU coaches are far too parochial, and boy does it show!
This quest for knowledge is important to develop a wide and diverse range of coaching skill and competence.
That's why I'd like Hask intercepted.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_dOg4Ljp3kh8/Sf89bRrqecI/AAAAAAAAAJY/eJCF1kt4b0E/s200/DON%27T-SHOOT-THE-MESSENGER1.jpg

Huxster (IP Logged)
14 April, 2012 17:26
Any success will be laid at Smiths feet as he will be the one with the tactics and gameplan, "Lancaster is an excellent teacher but poor game planner" to quote a former Eng U20 coach I know, his(SL) record backs this quote up.
Unfortunately without Smith England will struggle to be competitive at 2015.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v654/Huxster8/Huxster6.jpg

Bod (IP Logged)
20 April, 2012 17:53
Is Farrell's contribution to the squad, and coaching team only worth £XX,XXX per year?

Absolutely laughable eh?
No wonder he stayed with Sorries!!!
I bet SL feels he's got the full backing of the RFU!

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_dOg4Ljp3kh8/Sf89bRrqecI/AAAAAAAAAJY/eJCF1kt4b0E/s200/DON%27T-SHOOT-THE-MESSENGER1.jpg

ballsout (IP Logged)
20 April, 2012 18:02
Lancaster shafted already, nice one RFU. They no doubt wanted Smith to join all along (I can see their logic there), so got Farrell out of the picture.

This from Alex Lowe (journo) twitter:

"Stuart Lancaster has flown to South Africa to meet with Wayne Smith over a role in England's coaching team."

Optimist (IP Logged)
20 April, 2012 19:03
Yet more evidence of commnon sense prevailing at the RFU. Farrell's a decent coach, but if it costs the Union £250k before he even unpacks his clipboard, perhaps they reasoned they'd be better off spending the money on Smith, who has a lot more experience and could be the perfect foil for Lancaster.

Huxster (IP Logged)
20 April, 2012 22:02
who has a lot more experience and could be the perfect foil for Lancaster. delete Foil insert prop

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v654/Huxster8/Huxster6.jpg

Bod (IP Logged)
02 May, 2012 10:31
Here's Coco?????????

Could do worse - but not that inspiring is it?
After 25 years, the best England coaches can offer is a good old boy from yore!
Good luck to him if he does jump on board - it'd certainly help Catt.

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net