rugbyunion
Latest News:

Glos lose at home to Nooc!
OLoingseach (IP Logged)
14 April, 2012 16:01
FT Glos 20 Noocassel 29! Not just us, then!

Re: Glos lose at home to Nooc!
Hanham Bath (IP Logged)
14 April, 2012 16:03

Stuart Anderton (IP Logged)
14 April, 2012 16:17
Looks like we won't be the only West Country club with a new coach in the Amlin then.

Stuart

Editor of Come On My Lovers

Don't be a grey outline, set up your avatar

Join the COML Facebook Group

Follow COML on Twitter

The Oilman (IP Logged)
14 April, 2012 16:39
Redpath to Sale?

14 April, 2012 16:44
Newc play Sarries next week - even at home, I don't think they'll win that. We play Wasps - who knows how that'll go!

Then - Newc play Wasps - what a game that might be if results conspire.

joehousewife (IP Logged)
14 April, 2012 16:46
Makes Banners lack of pass to biggsy last night even more costly, a draw we'd have been 1 point behind Glous, 2 behind Sale, with Sale and Glous to play each other...(ie cancelling each other out, Win against Wasps would have been game on.

The Oilman (IP Logged)
14 April, 2012 16:49
Quote:
joehousewife
Makes Banners lack of pass to biggsy last night even more costly, a draw we'd have been 1 point behind Glous, 2 behind Sale, with Sale and Glous to play each other...(ie cancelling each other out, Win against Wasps would have been game on.

Yes...what if....if only....bad reffing, sorry this season we have not been good enough and
I am sorry to say don't deserve top 6.

14 April, 2012 16:49
On such fine margins will this season be decided, at top, bottom and middle.

Not that those who see things in black and white will see it that way.

Stuart

Follow COML on Twitter

Gareth Redux (IP Logged)
14 April, 2012 16:59
But those who peddle in ifs and buts do!

Susanne (IP Logged)
14 April, 2012 17:24
And Wasps caned - things marginally better for Falcons. Cmonbath in the North East at the moment in a very happy pub near Kingston Park!

http://i59.tinypic.com/4ibfh4.jpg

Grant Shiells - my adoptee for 2015/15 (A Scottish Geordie - what could be a better combination?)

ballsout (IP Logged)
14 April, 2012 17:26
Glos have a hilarious habit of losing to the basement clubs. It's become predictable.

Ade1865 (IP Logged)
14 April, 2012 17:54
that mean we'll beat them next year? boom boom tish!

joehousewife (IP Logged)
14 April, 2012 18:05
I think it does make things interesting because HC cup rugby is very important IMHO to this club, and we should give everything to try and make it as long as it remains mathematically possible.

P G Tips (IP Logged)
14 April, 2012 18:14
Gareth

another way of looking at ifs and buts is that teams on the front foot get more of the luck.

Look at the 50-50 penalty decisions that benefit the All Blacks or Leicester. Look at Wales's Grand slam this year - a controversial penalty beat Ireland, a lucky penalty enabled them to draw level with England before a piece of individual opportunism and lucky bounce brought the winning score.

In Bath's case, we could have had at least 3 wins which were denied by misfortune or referee interpretation/error. we did not get those wins - in tight games - however, as they were tight games, we might so easily have been a few points ahead at crucial moments.

good teams make their own luck.

PG

14 April, 2012 18:19
In pointing out they were tight games that does not mean we were robbed or should have won, do everything's ok.

It doesn't deny that we lost those games, but it does show the scale of the improvement needed to do a lot better is not very great. Certainly not rebuild the squad from scratch great.

Stuart

Follow COML on Twitter

Gareth Redux (IP Logged)
14 April, 2012 18:21
I couldn't agree more Peter. Hence the vacuousness of ifs and buts. Go out there, give it a lash and make your own luck!

Gareth Redux (IP Logged)
14 April, 2012 18:32
Stu, the massive assumption you make there bis that no other teams improve or that our relative improvement will be high enough to make a diffence. Not a given!!

14 April, 2012 19:19
Some will get better, some worse - but we're not talking A-Level grade style constant improvement here. Most would say the overall AP standard is heading south I think.

I believe we can improve enough to make a difference YMMV.

Stuart

Follow COML on Twitter

Gareth Redux (IP Logged)
14 April, 2012 19:22
I hope. Stuart Lancaster has shown what inspirational coaching CAN achieve

3Quarter (IP Logged)
15 April, 2012 05:46
People who go on about games we could have won seldom also take into account any games we won but should have lost. Admittedly this does not happen very often with Bath but that in itself must tell an even more important message - do we think we have lost all those tight games and a team like Saracens has won so many similar close matches through bad/lucky refereeing decisions or a state of mind that will not accept defeat?

Stuart thinks this squad with a few tweaks and a bit of luck will do better next year, rise several positions in the league and possibly make the play offs. Quite right, but I thought we had pretentions to being a top European club, is that not what Bruce Craig is working to? If so we need wholesale changes because we have very few top class players - the fact we have so few internationals points to that.

So what do we want/expect, scraping top six, sometimes even top four but having virtually no chance of winning league or HC or better than that?

There must be 7 or 8 clubs seriously trying to make top four every year, they cannot all succeed and those with rose coloured specs who think their team are just unlucky and a heartbeat away from greatness are dangerously delusional

Gareth Redux (IP Logged)
15 April, 2012 09:18
Next year is delivery year in Bruce's 3 year plan. Hands up those who think we're on track.

15 April, 2012 09:21
No one, especially not Bruce. It's been a long time since that plan was mentioned by anyone except on here.

Stuart

Follow COML on Twitter

Gareth Redux (IP Logged)
15 April, 2012 09:24
Funny that eh?

15 April, 2012 09:36
Not really; some major planks of the plan have gone wrong. Meehan is supposed to be head coach. James is supposed to be fly half. Watson is supposed got be leading the pack. The plan may have been sound on paper, but hasn't survived "events".

Stuart

Follow COML on Twitter

Tigersfan1 (IP Logged)
15 April, 2012 09:41
The management speak would be that next year is the 3rd "development" year of the 3 year plan and it's the year after that was always meant to be the year of it coming together.....

Gareth Redux (IP Logged)
15 April, 2012 09:42
Military tenet: No plan survives first contact with the enemy. One Blofeld will know intimately

We should have been more agile in adapting to unfolding events

15 April, 2012 09:52
We have been adapting like crazy, with variable amounts of success.

As far as I know the objective remains the same. But the timescale has inevitably changed.

Stuart

Follow COML on Twitter

ballsout (IP Logged)
15 April, 2012 09:54
Thank god for Newcastle and Wasps' injury list

CoochieCoo (IP Logged)
15 April, 2012 09:56
Quote:
ballsout
Thank god for Newcastle and Wasps' injury list

Why?

http://zdgzqa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1p7Mwi7pLXeM89TY2KFdDQ-UUDGSv1FKNdhYdrW-koAuRN3tsqCPfE3onFxuO-3cZ0057Tom1uJai3vjkz3dvY_Q/1998%20Euro%20Champs.jpg http://zdgzqa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pFul9UAV5zEXOzeRc1kmmlgDKXTYTIlTnGoQzYelH6KzdCeU-exN0IGo74QN2OGvlSoEiVjzAESvHx9BFlBsNFA/Bath%202008.jpg

15 April, 2012 09:56
?

Stuart

Follow COML on Twitter

Lebowski (IP Logged)
15 April, 2012 10:10
Take heart - it's not just Bath who are poor at the moment.

Glos were awful - and have been for the last few weeks. Something is rotten because this is not the same team who beat Toulouse and Quins at the start of the year. If the rumours about Sale signing Redpath without the knowledge of the club and with two years left on his contract are true it may be the explanation. It will also raise some very serious ethical questions. I suspect we will soon find out.

15 April, 2012 10:14
Makes next weekends game interesting. Redpath can guarantee HC rugby for his new team by losing with his current team!

Stuart

Follow COML on Twitter

Sid's Dad (IP Logged)
15 April, 2012 15:43
Quote:
AndyMGlos
... If the rumours about Sale signing Redpath without the knowledge of the club and with two years left on his contract are true it may be the explanation. It will also raise some very serious ethical questions. I suspect we will soon find out.

I think I'm amongst the last people who anyone who would turn to to find some sympathy / empathy for the Cherry & Whites, but if this is true then I may have to break my own rule. This is bringing a Wendyball attitude towards morals & commitments and no team (nope, not even Glos) deserve to be treated like that.

If it does come to pass are there any sanctions that Prem Rugby / the RFU / Glos can impose (a) against Redpath for breach of contract & (b) Sale for poaching? I do hope so.

For once I think The Shed will have a right to be agrieved about a decision that's not gone their way.

15 April, 2012 15:55
If he's under contract with Glaws he can't sign with Sale.

Stuart

Follow COML on Twitter

Sid's Dad (IP Logged)
15 April, 2012 16:03
Are you sure? I'm no employment lawyer, and I'm not being confrontational, I'm more curious.

Surely any employee has the right to terminate their contract so long as they give the required notice that said contract contains.

Now if Redpath turns to Glos & says 'I quit, here's my x weeks notice' because Sale have offered him something that he views as better / more lucrative then this is where I am wondering if Glos have cause for redress against Redpath or especially Sale for poaching.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 15/04/2012 16:04 by Sid's Dad.

15 April, 2012 16:07
The fixed term contracts which these guys sign are usually just that - fixed term. You can't give notice.

Stuart

Follow COML on Twitter

Rampant (IP Logged)
15 April, 2012 18:08
I was at Castle Grim yesterday. As bad as Gloucester were, Newcastle's defence and grit was extremely impressive. Gary Gold has worked wonders with the players and game plan.

On another note. Damn Gloucester is an ugly city..

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e358/chilliefish/Rugby2-2-1.jpg

Lebowski (IP Logged)
15 April, 2012 18:34
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The ruins of the old priory are very nice!

Armchair Fan (IP Logged)
15 April, 2012 18:59
I quite fancy visiting the waterways museum on the docks.

Debates play to the emotions, to soundbites, to oratorical flourishes and, all too often, to sheer volume. They may make for good drama, but they do not make for good understanding. - Richard Dawkins

15 April, 2012 19:04
Nice cheese.

Stuart

Follow COML on Twitter

Bri (IP Logged)
15 April, 2012 19:06
Good stadium.

CoochieCoo (IP Logged)
15 April, 2012 19:19
The road out of Glos leading to the M5 going South!

http://zdgzqa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1p7Mwi7pLXeM89TY2KFdDQ-UUDGSv1FKNdhYdrW-koAuRN3tsqCPfE3onFxuO-3cZ0057Tom1uJai3vjkz3dvY_Q/1998%20Euro%20Champs.jpg http://zdgzqa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pFul9UAV5zEXOzeRc1kmmlgDKXTYTIlTnGoQzYelH6KzdCeU-exN0IGo74QN2OGvlSoEiVjzAESvHx9BFlBsNFA/Bath%202008.jpg

15 April, 2012 19:35
Quote:
Bri
Good stadium.

Have you sat in the new stand Bri? Views obscured by pillars in a 21st century stadium!

Stuart

Follow COML on Twitter

Bri (IP Logged)
15 April, 2012 20:14
No,I said good not Great.

Rampant (IP Logged)
15 April, 2012 20:18
To make matters worse, my Gloucester rugby supporting friend took us to Wetherspoons near the Station.

Sheesh, it was like a fallout in Chernobyl in there!

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e358/chilliefish/Rugby2-2-1.jpg

Bri (IP Logged)
15 April, 2012 20:23
It's a ghetto or is it grotto compared to Bath.

The Oilman (IP Logged)
15 April, 2012 20:50
Why would you want a person to stay if he wanted out? If I was Glaws I would get as much compensation as I could and say farewell.

Lebowski (IP Logged)
16 April, 2012 08:00
And that's the point. If someonewants out in professional sport they are no use to you - forcing someone to see out a contract is pointless.

The pillars are a nuisance, but there is a reason for them. The new stand has extensive accomodation - bar, restaurant, lounge, hospitality, function rooms etc upstairs.

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net