rugbyunion
Latest News:

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 4 of 6

Re: Head Coach Approaching
CoochieCoo (IP Logged)
26 April, 2012 10:56
We shall just have to be patient. Remember, they have admitted we were a coach short so I expect an announcement of a HC, forwards coach and attack and skills coach. Whoever gets the forwards coach role has to be an expert on set pieces because that is where I believe we have gone backwards since Bakewell. It would also be great to see a Bath side rucking over and winning opposition ball instead of standing around watching it being recycled by them.

http://zdgzqa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1p7Mwi7pLXeM89TY2KFdDQ-UUDGSv1FKNdhYdrW-koAuRN3tsqCPfE3onFxuO-3cZ0057Tom1uJai3vjkz3dvY_Q/1998%20Euro%20Champs.jpg http://zdgzqa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pFul9UAV5zEXOzeRc1kmmlgDKXTYTIlTnGoQzYelH6KzdCeU-exN0IGo74QN2OGvlSoEiVjzAESvHx9BFlBsNFA/Bath%202008.jpg

marshie10 (IP Logged)
26 April, 2012 11:00
Catt will not be coming.
Gold should really be DoR and Forwards.
Davis - Defence and Skills

Leaving room for a scrummaging coach and a backs coach.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 26/04/2012 11:08 by marshie10.

DanWiley (IP Logged)
26 April, 2012 11:13
I keep thinking that BC should, as the coaches are uncapped, buy in the best DOR available. Then tell him 'you have a blank check to buy in the coaches you want."

The trouble is that I think that is what he did with SIM. But not sure that SIM if was a mistake or if we didn't give him time?

I mean one of the criticisms of SIM is that he's lived off underlings' talent. That's sort of what I want from a DoR. Finding the best attack coach was always going to take time, and really that has been our problem this year.

Substitute (IP Logged)
26 April, 2012 11:23
Quote:
DanWiley
Finding the next best attack coach was always going to take time [b]after we released the best one[b], and really that has been our problem this year.

Bod (IP Logged)
26 April, 2012 11:26
Who would you have as Dor/HC then Dan, given a choice of any senior (or junior) coach in European/S15/other rugby - just a bit of fun!

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_dOg4Ljp3kh8/Sf89bRrqecI/AAAAAAAAAJY/eJCF1kt4b0E/s200/DON%27T-SHOOT-THE-MESSENGER1.jpg

@Hydor18 (IP Logged)
26 April, 2012 11:37
Can anyone clarify what exactly a Director of Rugby is compared with a Head Coach, and whether Marshie's theory as Gold as DoR and forwards coach is practical?

A guess would suggest Catty was nailed on, but has had his head turned by the national set up. Another guess is that the club wanted him to start asap and weren't prepared to allow him a summer away.

Puxonian (IP Logged)
26 April, 2012 11:53
"Bath's new-look coaching team is set to be unveiled in one fell swoop soon after the end of the current Aviva Premiership campaign"

Does this mean Saturday week? Or do we wait till after the play-offs?

And when did Mike Ford's name suddenly appear in the hat?

Bod (IP Logged)
26 April, 2012 11:59
Quote:
Puxonian

Indeed?

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_dOg4Ljp3kh8/Sf89bRrqecI/AAAAAAAAAJY/eJCF1kt4b0E/s200/DON%27T-SHOOT-THE-MESSENGER1.jpg

26 April, 2012 12:08
lol probably after the final which isnt until the 26th of may a day before my birthday yay lol
TBH its getting to the point of everybody is getting ready for next season and we arent.
I bet the coaching set up is Gold, Ford and John Wells!!! (plz noo on the latter 2)
Wuldnt Mike Ford and Brad Davis do the same job?? both are defence and skills??

CoochieCoo (IP Logged)
26 April, 2012 12:25
Quote:
BFSIHW
TBH its getting to the point of everybody is getting ready for next season and we arent.

I would prefer to make the suggestion that all is already in place and the Club is waiting for the appropriate time to release the information for legal or PR reasons!

http://zdgzqa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1p7Mwi7pLXeM89TY2KFdDQ-UUDGSv1FKNdhYdrW-koAuRN3tsqCPfE3onFxuO-3cZ0057Tom1uJai3vjkz3dvY_Q/1998%20Euro%20Champs.jpg http://zdgzqa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pFul9UAV5zEXOzeRc1kmmlgDKXTYTIlTnGoQzYelH6KzdCeU-exN0IGo74QN2OGvlSoEiVjzAESvHx9BFlBsNFA/Bath%202008.jpg

Substitute (IP Logged)
26 April, 2012 12:28
Quote:
Ex-Bod
Quote:
Puxonian

Indeed?

Heard he's not staying at Newc beyond his current role... but I'd be astonished if he came to Bath. Two defence coaches and no attack coach. Surely even BC can make that obviously bad a decision?

TCM2007 (IP Logged)
26 April, 2012 12:44
Quote:
Puxonian

Does this mean Saturday week? Or do we wait till after the play-offs?

Next line down, "an announcement until the climax of the regular season."

Stuart

Former ed.

DanWiley (IP Logged)
26 April, 2012 13:28
I think Mallet is the best option available, don't think it will happen though. If we're talking about buying people out of contracts AND paying what it takes to persuade them to move to this country... I've got to admit no one jumps out at me.

Miles Offside (IP Logged)
26 April, 2012 13:40
The slippage in announcement coincides with Catty's recruitment by England. Seeing as we're recruiting a whole coaching team (bar Brad), it's not without the bounds of possibility that Catty not being available neccessitates a change of head coach, given that each candidate will have specified their preferred coaching team & structure. So we may be already at Plan B.

All pure speculation, I hasten to add.

(Sm109)

Huxster (IP Logged)
26 April, 2012 14:14

Yes although one of them is awful at it and he's not in Bath.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v654/Huxster8/Huxster6.jpg

WestonDave (IP Logged)
26 April, 2012 14:28
I suspect given a choice they'd have planned to make some sort of announcement this week if only to have an easier ride at the forum thing next week.

Without a new coaching team announced (or at least partially announced) to deflect the attention to the future, and talk of the future will be very vague and lead to a lot more raking over this seasons mistakes.

Where I'm struggling is trying to see why the AP season has any relevance to rumoured candidates - Gold is known to only be at Falcons until the end of the season so its hardly going to disrupt them announcing him as our DoR/HC, Cheika or Mallett have no relevance to the AP, and Catt appears to be off the agenda. Unless its Redpath and we are keeping our heads down to stop ourselves getting sued by Glaws!

FairShout (IP Logged)
26 April, 2012 14:34
I have no idea if Mike Ford is awful as I have not had the need or inclination to watch him up close on the training pitch with any players.

Brad Davis I have had the opportunity to watch him put in a hard training session with the lads both at Captain's training days here and abroad. He teaches, directs, motivates and gets really stuck in and EARNS yes EARNS the respect of the people around him.

With greater support next year, Brad might just come to the attention and appreciation of the fan base and not just the players. In fact the players owe it to Brad, to perform next Saturday and play their guts out for him and the club.

Considering the behind the scenes turmoil and utter nonsense that he has obviously had to endure over the past few weeks...he has my vote as one of the coaches of the season...

hasta (IP Logged)
26 April, 2012 14:58
I've been impressed by Brad when I've spoken to him - happy to talk, down to earth, excellent attitude and will to win, but he has to take some culpability for allowing himself to be spread too thin this year.

Which Tyler (IP Logged)
26 April, 2012 15:16
Quote:
DanWiley
I think Mallet is the best option available, don't think it will happen though. If we're talking about buying people out of contracts AND paying what it takes to persuade them to move to this country... I've got to admit no one jumps out at me.
Money no object: Noves
Would need more money than is worth: Mallett
Best pseudo-realistic option: Cheika/Gold

A man who cannot change his mind, cannot change anything
http://www.rugbyrebels.co/board/download/file.php?id=377
RAEBURN SHIELD

26 April, 2012 15:22
Brad has been a brilliant coach for the last 6 seasons it wouldnt surprise me if he got promotion next season

ballsout (IP Logged)
26 April, 2012 16:27
Quote:
Huxster
Yes although one of them is awful at it and he's not in Bath.

Mike Ford is far from 'awful'. He's a very good defence coach but the point is if we're keeping Brad, and rightly so, we shouldn't need him.

Bod (IP Logged)
26 April, 2012 17:15
Money no object : Vern Cotter /Brad Davies/ Alex King/Mike Cron

If that lot couldn't deliver we'd need to pack up and play croquet!

Huxster (IP Logged)
26 April, 2012 18:38
ballsout, Mike FOrds Defences have been poor wherever he's been, Sarries, Lions and England.

Big GEE (IP Logged)
26 April, 2012 18:55
money no object:
DOR - John Kirwin
forwards coach - Todd Blackadder
backs/attack coach - Wayne Smith
Defence coach - Brad Davis
scrum coach - Carl Hayman

ballsout (IP Logged)
26 April, 2012 23:56
Quote:
Huxster
ballsout, Mike FOrds Defences have been poor wherever he's been, Sarries, Lions and England.

This would be the England team that had the best defence in the northern hemisphere for the last three years (at least)? His defence is more passive than say Farrel's but it made England incredibly tough to score tries against. He did a good job.

Anyway you best warm to the idea of him joining, Daily Mail says it's him and Gold.

Bathbadger (IP Logged)
27 April, 2012 00:12
Daily Mail article

Cheers,

Rich

Utility Back (IP Logged)
27 April, 2012 05:50
If Ford comes, where would that leave Brad? Backs coach?

Bri (IP Logged)
27 April, 2012 05:54
Why would we need Ford?This would conflict with Brad's.

fat lock (IP Logged)
27 April, 2012 06:26
Signing another defence coach and a RSA forward focussed DR would certainly set the tone for the style of rugby for next year!

Either:
The management are so out of touch they don't know what Brad does (possible, but unlikely even when viewed from France), or Gold wants his team as part of the condition of joining - so bye bye Brad.

Might be a tad unsettling for the players, and for those contemplating season tickets for next year.

EDIT: Thank god the article is in The Wail - the standards are so poor there that at least the chances of this being researched or accurate are so small that I hope we can ignore it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 27/04/2012 06:27 by fat lock.

Bri (IP Logged)
27 April, 2012 06:33
Let's hope so.Brad is well liked by the players and I have heard a few rumours from my cousins at Leeds that he wasn't all that.
If he was coming you would have though Brad would have been bought out of his contract.

Widcombe Boy (IP Logged)
27 April, 2012 07:13
At the Wasps game, I shook Brad's hand and told him I was glad he would staying next season.

He replied 'hopefully'.I found that a little strange at the time.

Toast and Marmite (IP Logged)
27 April, 2012 08:03
Reading the Wail story, it strikes me that they have assumed the Newcastle coaching pair are coming as a package.

"Buy Gold and get Ford thrown in".

Not convinced that this is the case given Brad's record, especially as the club have already stated that Haag is going, so there would appear to be no reticence on their part on making an announcement if Brad really wasn't part of their plans.

OutsideBath (IP Logged)
27 April, 2012 08:10
I wonder if the club couldn't get the DOR they really wanted so Gold is plan B and has insisted that Ford comes with him?

Bod (IP Logged)
27 April, 2012 08:21
Quote:
OutsideBath
I wonder if the club couldn't get the DOR they really wanted so Gold is plan B and has insisted that Ford comes with him?

Smells that way OB!
Smells of fudge!
Hence the bafflement and silence!

pubtime (IP Logged)
27 April, 2012 08:29
Its obvious that Brad would question whether he is staying because a new Head Coach will naturally have the right to chose his own team otherwise why would he come..
Clearly the Gold/Ford combination is doing something right at Newc and with the resources available to them at Bath to me it feels like a mouth watering proposition.
Brad on the other hand has been hit and miss.. The defensive performance in Dublin was nothing short of embarrassing.. I suspect he has been retained to soften the impact on the players of losing SIM and Haag to keep them focused on the end of season run in..

Rampant (IP Logged)
27 April, 2012 08:41
Good point pubtime. On my visit behind enemy lines to watch Glaws v Newcastle, it was their aggressive defence that won the game for them.

Never been a Ford fan, but he has worked some magic up there

TCM2007 (IP Logged)
27 April, 2012 08:51
It's an article in the Daily Mail with no attributed sources. Draw your own conclusions.

Stuart

Former ed.

Bri (IP Logged)
27 April, 2012 08:57
Quote:
Rampant
Good point pubtime. On my visit behind enemy lines to watch Glaws v Newcastle, it was their aggressive defence that won the game for them.
Never been a Ford fan, but he has worked some magic up there

Well he didntwork his magic at Leeds before that,I suspect the aggressive defence in down to Gold.

FairShout (IP Logged)
27 April, 2012 09:12
It will be good to not only be told who the in coming coaches are when BC has them signed up but also to be told what their roles are going to be. Previously I didnt understand who was Head Coach or if we even had one, what was the role of SIM as DOR etc

I am sure that a top appointment might result in that person wanting their own coaching team...understandable. However I am a BIG Brad fan and in the vast majority of matches his set up of the team in relation to his focussed responsibilities has been top notch, despite what else has gone wrong with the team. It would send a wrong signal to many not to recognise and reward his performance...and if he left why should an other Premier club benefit by his coaching.

ballsout (IP Logged)
27 April, 2012 09:14
The Daily Mail tend to be spot on these days, they're the best source for breaking news.

DOR (+forwards): Gold
Head Coach (+skills): Brad
Defence: Ford
Scrum: AN OTHER hopefully

Ford gave England one of the stingiest defences around, he's a quality coach, but I think losing Brad would be a huge mistake.

Bri (IP Logged)
27 April, 2012 09:16
Im a believer of only replacing if better than you've already got and I don't believe Ford is as good as Brad.

WestonDave (IP Logged)
27 April, 2012 09:21
Quote:
ballsout
The Daily Mail tend to be spot on these days, they're the best source for breaking news.
DOR (+forwards): Gold
Head Coach (+skills): Brad
Defence: Ford
Scrum: AN OTHER hopefully

Ford gave England one of the stingiest defences around, he's a quality coach, but I think losing Brad would be a huge mistake.

If its that setup it would still leave us massively short of an attack coach. For all Brad's acheivements with our defence this season we have been utterly toothless in attack with games being clearly an exercise in avoiding giving tries away rather than prioritising scoring them. England had the same problem with Ford - we didn't give much away but then again we didn't play good attacking rugby either - and that was with an attack coach to balance things up.

Sam Y (IP Logged)
27 April, 2012 09:24
I have heard through the grapevine that it is Jim Mallinder as DOR with Dorian West as Forwards Coach and Mike Catt when he has finished with England in South Africa.

ballsout (IP Logged)
27 April, 2012 09:28
Quote:
we didn't give much away but then again we didn't play good attacking rugby either - and that was with an attack coach to balance things up.

We played turgid rugby half the time, the other half England played some great rugby and scored some nice tries. It's Farrell's defensive system that limits attacking options, not Ford's.

FairShout (IP Logged)
27 April, 2012 09:30
Agree with the latest views...

We already have the best coach in Brad so why change anything that we are actually good at?

Whats the point of Brad being good, having a mean defence but inability to attack with any sort of flair, verve, purpose and score tries...is Ford the man for that?

As for forwards coach ...I think we have some great YOUNG front row talent, just need the best coach to turn our boys into the BEST pack in Rugby.

WestonDave (IP Logged)
27 April, 2012 09:44
ballsout - my recollection was that England generally weren't that creative under Johnson, Smith and Ford but were more dynamic under Lancaster and Farrell.

In any event the point remains - if we have Ford and Brad we have two defence coaches and no attack coach!

Still Ford has a chance to show what he can do - Falcons need 4 tries to survive next weekend - defence won't cut it so I guess we'll see what he is like at putting a side out to attack.

P G Tips (IP Logged)
27 April, 2012 09:45
Sam Y

Close to a "dream team" at AP Level there: you are joking I take it?

PG

Sam Y (IP Logged)
27 April, 2012 09:50
Just wishing that's all PG!!

ballsout (IP Logged)
27 April, 2012 09:50
Quote:
WestonDave
ballsout - my recollection was that England generally weren't that creative under Johnson, Smith and Ford but were more dynamic under Lancaster and Farrell.

tigeroo will no doubt be along in a moment to remind you that England were top try scorers in 2009 and 2011 Six Nations. And also played some good rugby in the autumn of 2010. My problem with that is that whilst they did play some good rugby with Flutey, Armitage, Ashton, Youngs etc cutting up, the other half of the time, they played safety first nonsense (the world cup for instance). I still think Ford is quality though.

Huxster (IP Logged)
27 April, 2012 09:59
He took a long time to improve the defence after he made it worse, the other Prem defence coaches weren't impressed with his work with their players I think Edwards even moaned publicly. Lets face it in those days he was clogging up the midfield with Tins and Noon.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 4 of 6

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net