rugbyunion
Latest News:

OT - The boss has given me permission to buy an iPad....
Glen The Ed (IP Logged)
19 April, 2012 18:35
which one do I get? Advice please.

http://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/105/105_0_1234649382.jpg

Chatting about Bath on Twitter? Use the #BRERE hashtag so we can find each other!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 19/04/2012 20:14 by Glen The Ed.

Re: OT - The boss has given me permission to buy and iPad....
The Oilman (IP Logged)
19 April, 2012 18:58
What suits you, I have a 64gb wifi. It is excellent, wouldn't be without it. Decide for yourself if you require 3G.

Huxster (IP Logged)
19 April, 2012 19:06
I was going to look into this at the Gadget show live last week, but I got distracted by the dancing girls, Sorry !!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v654/Huxster8/Huxster6.jpg

TCM2007 (IP Logged)
19 April, 2012 19:08
If your phone allows wifi tethering, forget the 3G versions. Get a new one not the iPad 2 - the screen is worth every penny. Then get as many Gb as you can afford. A 16 is perfectly usable, less you fill it up with music.

Stuart

Former ed.

alibev (IP Logged)
19 April, 2012 19:08
Careful Hux, you'll be getting a reputation...

Bod (IP Logged)
19 April, 2012 19:18
How much of a budget has Mrs Leat allowed you Glen?

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_dOg4Ljp3kh8/Sf89bRrqecI/AAAAAAAAAJY/eJCF1kt4b0E/s200/DON%27T-SHOOT-THE-MESSENGER1.jpg

Re: OT - The boss has given me permission to buy an iPad....
Glen The Ed (IP Logged)
19 April, 2012 20:15
Bod - I never tell her how much these things cost.

Chatting about Bath on Twitter? Use the #BRERE hashtag so we can find each other!

Peasedown Exile (IP Logged)
19 April, 2012 20:17
I went to the Apple shop in Bath, ask for a Mr Illes for he will give you excellent advise. I have a ipad 3 with a 32gig and wireless,, it's fab!!

http://i46.tinypic.com/p3b4x.jpghttp://i47.tinypic.com/3354bvb.jpg

Bod (IP Logged)
19 April, 2012 20:21
How much did they knock it out for? (Grosso Modo)

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_dOg4Ljp3kh8/Sf89bRrqecI/AAAAAAAAAJY/eJCF1kt4b0E/s200/DON%27T-SHOOT-THE-MESSENGER1.jpg

The Oilman (IP Logged)
19 April, 2012 21:18
I will be interested to hear if anyone gets a discount on the new iPad. Incidentally, I picked up a bluetooth keyboard and case for just over 20 on eBay (brand new and boxed). Transforms the iPad if you want to knock out documents etc.

TCM2007 (IP Logged)
19 April, 2012 21:19
No discounts yet, even the Education price is full cost.

Stuart

Former ed.

The Oilman (IP Logged)
19 April, 2012 21:39
When the mini iPad arrives and iPhone 5!
[www.techradar.com]

Gareth Redux (IP Logged)
19 April, 2012 22:56
I've still got my 64G, non-3G iPad1 from almost the start. I still love it to bits. As stated above, being able to use your phone as a personal hotspot means it's really not worth buying a 3G.

sisteresther (IP Logged)
20 April, 2012 09:13
Been thinking of this myself. How do you use your iphone as a personal hotspot then??

Tiger in the Bath (IP Logged)
20 April, 2012 09:16
I wouldn't get one at all. Samsung Galaxy tablet for me. Android is si much more flexible.

TCM2007 (IP Logged)
20 April, 2012 09:18
You can flexibly choose to run one of a tenth the number of apps and flexibly look at a much poorer screen.

(I have an Android phone, and love it, but in the tablet space, Apple are clear winners right now)

Stuart

Former ed.

Blocks2u (IP Logged)
20 April, 2012 09:21
Quote:
Tiger in the Bath
I wouldn't get one at all. Samsung Galaxy tablet for me. Android is si much more flexible.

Agreed

Don't be a Sheep

That's top price, 16gig is well under 200

Ian

spud1610 (IP Logged)
20 April, 2012 10:16
16Gb is perfectly suitable to be honest and Ipad 2 are dirt cheap now that Ipad 3 is kicking around. However one can also purchase extra cloud storage with the maximum being around 40 a year for an extra 40Gb (don't qoute me on that though).

Gareth Redux (IP Logged)
20 April, 2012 10:48
sisteresther,

go into settings and after wifi you'll see personal hotspot, just click on that and follow the instructions.

if you don't have the personal hotspot it might be because you're on an old tariff,I was initially, but they quickly changed it for me and I saved money too!

Huxster (IP Logged)
20 April, 2012 11:31
You leave Esther's Peresonal Hot SPot out of it Gareth !!!Age has got nothing to do with it !!!

hasta (IP Logged)
20 April, 2012 11:58
I'm waiting for the Asus Transformer Infinity - out at the beginning of June. Samsung's skinning of Android and massive delays in getting upgrades out (ICS was supposed to be out on a Galaxy S2 in early February, I ended up cracking and installing a non-standard version in late March - it's still not out officially), alongside half their tablets getting pulled in patent fights with Apple have slightly burned me on them. My friend has a transformer prime and it's excellent.

In terms of Apps, it definitely doesn't have as many that are pad targeted - but that will change. The freedom to mess around with it, move files more easily, play more video formats and use SNES emulators easily makes up for that in my view!

DanWiley (IP Logged)
20 April, 2012 12:39
Which apps on apple would I actually want stu?

Serious just brought a new iPad, I'm not blown away by the apps I've found (over the ones I can get on android).

At the moment i'm finding the keyboard irritating, but in the minority in my present company.

Comparing it with the iPad 2 side by side the display the new one is better, but I can't say I feel I'd be missing out that much with the old one (my advise would be to buy the new one though, you don't want to feel behind). There's also plus and minus points when comparing the iPad 2 display with a Samsung samoled one. I think Samsung own that technology and I think the plan is to only use it on Samsung produces (despite Samsung making the iPad screen, they don't wnt to let amoled out to others). IF Samsung bring out a "retina" display I think hat would be he one to go for.

Get decent web storage and you won't need that much space. If you've a phone you can tether to you won't need 3G.

hasta (IP Logged)
20 April, 2012 12:44
Swype keyboard for Android is light years better than Apple's offering...

TCM2007 (IP Logged)
20 April, 2012 13:37
Dan: Keynote, Pages, Goodreader, Facetime, any magazine app, better range of games, iBooks, iTunesU, better music and video support through iTunes Store. I don't know which of the half a million odd app you'd find useful - that's kind of the point. The standard of Apple apps is typically higher as there's no Google quality control process.

Android versions of some of the content apps I use like th Telegraph and the Economist are starting to come out on Android, but there's a big lag.

If you don't buy a lot of apps or pay for content then it might be more finely balanced.

Don't understand comments saying the 3's screen is not that special, it's just stunning and I find using an iPad 1/2 a real strain now.

Apple could definitely improve the keyboard, but it's only really an issue when you use different devices, otherwise you just get used to it.

Stuart

Former ed.

hasta (IP Logged)
20 April, 2012 14:03
Keynote/Pages/Goodreader - there are loads of good Office apps for Android
Facetime - gimmick and Skype
Magazine apps - accepted, but for comics, Comixology works just as well on Android
Better range of games - yes, but SNES emulators...
iBooks - Kindle App
iTunesU - Accepted
Better music or video support - Hmmm, Amazon MP3, torrents, ability to watch avi and mkv formats...

I'm not saying the iOS environment isn't clearly better integrated (as it should be - they've been doing this for 11 years now) but Android is definitely closing the gap quickly. I'd still recommend an iOS device to my parents, but as someone who likes messing around with stuff and hates the Walled Garden, I moved to Android 2 years ago and can't see myself going back.

Optimist (IP Logged)
20 April, 2012 14:41
Have been trying to identify the perfect product for myself - needs to cover 'laptop' type use, and doesn't 'need' (just want) all the other stuff.

Something for the train, meetings, sofa - but defintely want to be able to type/Word process on it reasonably comfortably.

The Asus Eee Pad Transformer Prime - with detachable keyboard - looks perfect. Will I just regret not buying an iPad though?

hasta (IP Logged)
20 April, 2012 14:50
My mate's got a Transformer Prime and loves it Opti. I was jealously fingering it yesterday.

CoochieCoo (IP Logged)
20 April, 2012 14:55
My iPad2 is great fun but I still need the laptop for the more serious stuff! Banking is a pain with the logging in process mainly because the drop down boxes are so small and I maybe able to buy Excel for iPad but frankly prefer to use my laptop at the mo.

http://zdgzqa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1p7Mwi7pLXeM89TY2KFdDQ-UUDGSv1FKNdhYdrW-koAuRN3tsqCPfE3onFxuO-3cZ0057Tom1uJai3vjkz3dvY_Q/1998%20Euro%20Champs.jpg http://zdgzqa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pFul9UAV5zEXOzeRc1kmmlgDKXTYTIlTnGoQzYelH6KzdCeU-exN0IGo74QN2OGvlSoEiVjzAESvHx9BFlBsNFA/Bath%202008.jpg

DanWiley (IP Logged)
20 April, 2012 15:04
Which of those is the office suite you'd recommend? Again, genuine question, I'm likely to be writing, at least working with reasonably long documents (text), possibly some spreadsheets.

As hasta says I've worked with them on andriod, Polaris office comes free with samsung, and there's a few that that improve on that. I find them pretty workable, but interested to see the apple alternative.

I've never had an issue with accessing media on andriod, well I've had to down load a number of free apps, to see which works best for me, before investing in a paid version (usually). I find this open system more appealing if I'm honest.

I think I will get use to the keyboard, I find that it keeps missing key strokes though, anyone else get this? It is presumably my style, but I find the predicative typing on something like swiftkey seems to handle this, where as I'm ending up with lots of words missing characters and having to go back, which greatly slows me down. Obviously swype, which is still a great preference on android, doesn't have this issue.

I don't know FaceTime, most people I know don't use it, even those with apples, whereas they do have skype, is it worth investing time in in that case?

The screen is certainly good and the market leader, but for 90% of what I do should I care? Certainly browsing on ere I'm not fussed. Or working with documents. Or controlling media. Watching media certainly, but I'm a pretty low fidelity person, I could never really hear the different between mp3s and CDs (except very early on), so perhaps that is why I care less about it. I guess, compared to my expectations, it seems to be the key distinguishing feature, I'm underwhelmed rather than over.

I think, if you're to sell apple over android based on the apps, you should be able to point at some that do something that android doesn't. I was happy to buy that line before I got one and tried to find them, having one they've not leaped at me (but it is early days).

Huxster (IP Logged)
20 April, 2012 15:41
Heres your problem Dan !!

http://images.clipartof.com/small/437975-Caveman-Using-Stones-To-Type-On-A-Computer-Poster-Art-Print.jpg

TCM2007 (IP Logged)
20 April, 2012 15:56
Spreadsheets, depends if you want to create or view. I don't think any tablet is good at creating. I find the Retina display allows me to view large spreadsheets zoomed out and still read them with no pinch and zoom, which is wonderful.

One of the main work uses for me, aside from reading documents, is Keynote. Creating a presentation is perfectly possible on the iPad, they look better than anything you'd make in PowerPoint, and when giving presentations you just plug in the iPad, cone of that configuring the PC to work with the screen crap.

I don't do a lot of writing on mine, bar posts explaining why Bod is wrong. But if you do there are some nice integrated cases and Bluetooth keyboards.

One thing which you can do on Android but is much cleaner on iOS is have all your documents automatically synch between devices and be available in the Cloud. Having my 25,000 track music collection available wherever I want is handy.

I'll be interested to see how the Tab 2 performs when it comes out. I'm not an Apple fanboy, my phone is Android and my home computers Windows, but the iPad is a much nicer experience. If I want get my hands dirty, I have other options, but for second-screen use while watching telly, it's pretty much perfect.

Stuart

Former ed.

Gareth Redux (IP Logged)
20 April, 2012 16:26
Stu,

With you on iTunesU, an absolute goldmine of intellectual output.

sisteresther (IP Logged)
21 April, 2012 10:13
Thanks Gareth- i dont seem to have that setting in my Settings so will make enquiries of 02. Useful thread.
(Sm134)

annie blackthorn (IP Logged)
21 April, 2012 10:36
My head hurts.
Very impressed with the amicable informed standard of discussion though ...........................

Adoptee for 2017/18 James Phillips - newly arrived and bringing a wealth of experience in the Prem!

Optimist (IP Logged)
30 April, 2012 17:26
Is the only way to project from iPad to TV screen via Apple TV?

TCM2007 (IP Logged)
30 April, 2012 18:34
No, you can get a physical adapter, but the app must support sending video out. The Sky app, for instance, doesn't.

Stuart

Former ed.

Optimist (IP Logged)
30 April, 2012 19:23
so if you video-record using the iPad, and then want to project this on a big screen...??

TCM2007 (IP Logged)
30 April, 2012 19:53
That's fine

Stuart

Former ed.

Blocks2u (IP Logged)
01 May, 2012 08:09
Hasn't it got an hdmi socket?

Ian

TCM2007 (IP Logged)
01 May, 2012 09:35
No but you can buy one.

Stuart

Former ed.

The Oilman (IP Logged)
01 May, 2012 10:31
Quote:
CoochieCoo
My iPad2 is great fun but I still need the laptop for the more serious stuff! Banking is a pain with the logging in process mainly because the drop down boxes are so small and I maybe able to buy Excel for iPad but frankly prefer to use my laptop at the mo.

I bank with Lloyds and use their mobile app. It is very good and the login boxes etc. are huge. Obviously got to grips with it. I expect other banks have a similar app??

TallRugbyGirl (IP Logged)
02 May, 2012 23:47
Not all banks have an app (smile are way behind) - I use the website Yodlee which enables integration of all your accounts & cards etc.

I have had my iPad since Sunday and am in love!

http://i32.tinypic.com/wswoqp.jpghttp://i19.tinypic.com/5xemudv.gif

sisteresther (IP Logged)
03 May, 2012 09:17
Which one did you settle on TRG? Im sorely tempted

DanWiley (IP Logged)
03 May, 2012 11:49
What does the app offer over just using the website?

TallRugbyGirl (IP Logged)
03 May, 2012 13:59
Smile website won't work on an iphone or ipad as it uses flash and keeps logging you out. Yodlee seamlessly integrates all your different UK bank accounts and credit cards (if you have a few) and gives you one place to operate them all from. And it works on a ipad. Sometime I just want to know what my current account balance is and don't want to have to go through Fort Knox security to find out.

Went for 64GB Wifi Black iPad 3. Now need to upgrade my iphone so I can use it as a wifi hotspot - the 3gS won't let me do that.

http://i32.tinypic.com/wswoqp.jpghttp://i19.tinypic.com/5xemudv.gif

DanWiley (IP Logged)
03 May, 2012 14:14
I'm a bit paranoid about trusting third party applications with my banking details. I presume you have to? I'd be a little concerned

In my case I only have one bank account that I use regularly and no credit cards.

I'm very annoyed by the lack of flash, it is still a really big hole in the Apple armory. I can't watch Ap tv on it (does anyone know of an app that allows it?). I know it is yesterdays technology and one day it will almost all be gone. But I was told that years ago and it is still true, albeit to a lesser extent.

Can you not tether to a 3gs? I'd be slightly surprised or is it a network thing?

Glen The Ed (IP Logged)
03 May, 2012 14:34
I tether to my Galaxy S2 which is a much less expensive deal, TRG

Puxonian (IP Logged)
03 May, 2012 16:11
Quote:
TallRugbyGirl
Smile website won't work on an iphone or ipad as it uses flash and keeps logging you out. Yodlee seamlessly integrates all your different UK bank accounts and credit cards (if you have a few) and gives you one place to operate them all from. And it works on a ipad. Sometime I just want to know what my current account balance is and don't want to have to go through Fort Knox security to find out.
Went for 64GB Wifi Black iPad 3. Now need to upgrade my iphone so I can use it as a wifi hotspot - the 3gS won't let me do that.

TRG what are the risks if you lose your iPad or if it's stolen?

TCM2007 (IP Logged)
03 May, 2012 17:58
You need to enter a password, and if worse comes to worse you can remote wipe the iPad.

Stuart

Former ed.

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net