rugbyunion
Latest News:

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Fans Forum now free
BathBerk (IP Logged)
25 April, 2012 09:14
Just had a call from the Bath ticket office to say that the Fans Forum next week is now going to be free and they are refunding me my 10 for the two tickets I had bought, but I won't get my 2 booking fee back or a free drink on the night, so by my calculations I might be 1 up on the whole deal.

The gesture is so small it is hardly worth making and it smacks of indecision at the club...unless ticket sales for the evening had been truly disastrous and I was one of the only mugs to have gone for it.

Anyone got any insights into what is behind this backtrack?

Re: Fans Forum now free
Susanne (IP Logged)
25 April, 2012 09:24
I bought tickets yesterday and got numbers 37 and 38, so I suspect it might be lack of numbers?

http://i63.tinypic.com/34hhulf.jpg
Proud to adopt one of our stars of the future

Optimist (IP Logged)
25 April, 2012 09:29
the Club appears to be caught between a desire to be a/ better at PR and b/ more commercially astute. This fiasco is the result.

Stir Crazy (IP Logged)
25 April, 2012 09:46
I appreciate what they are trying to do, but in respect of the "fiasco" on the field for the past 9 months, it would be kinda astute to not charge for ANY meetings, forum, talks with fans for at least the next 9 months! Were they concerned they would be flooded with potentials, hence a charge to discourage, or maybe realistic about numbers and thought they would make something rather than nothing?

Either way, as so little is for free nowadays, it would be an honourable gesture to continue free and open contact with the club imvho.

Tom "Samson" Biggs - Adopted Player 2012/2013
Chris Cook - Adopted Player 2011/2012
Luke (THE LAW) Watson - Adopted Player 2010/11
Michael " Classy" Claassens - Adopted Player 2009/2010

Building a nice future VETS team!!!

Bod (IP Logged)
25 April, 2012 09:50
Indeed Stir....this seems to underscore the disconnect between Farleigh and the City!

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_dOg4Ljp3kh8/Sf89bRrqecI/AAAAAAAAAJY/eJCF1kt4b0E/s200/DON%27T-SHOOT-THE-MESSENGER1.jpg

TCM2007 (IP Logged)
25 April, 2012 11:07
Hmm, we surmised that the price was a form of numbers control; it's either been too effective or the anticipated numbers weren't there. So they've taken the price off. Seems sensible, no sign of a "fiasco".

Stuart

Former ed.

stuckinlondon (IP Logged)
25 April, 2012 11:12
Quote:
TCM2007
Hmm, we surmised that the price was a form of numbers control; it's either been too effective or the anticipated numbers weren't there. So they've taken the price off. Seems sensible, no sign of a "fiasco".

Numbers control would be "Entrance is by ticket only, Tickets are free and available from the club on a first come first served basis."

This is more like a hoping for more people to make a few quid, now not worth it so lets try and get as many through the door as possible.

TCM2007 (IP Logged)
25 April, 2012 11:16
When organising events like this, it's often a good idea to charge a small fee, so people don't get tickets on the off chance and then not show up, denying someone else a chance to go.

Hence the "5 including a free drink" thing.

Stuart

Former ed.

25 April, 2012 11:26
[quote TCM2007]When organising events like this, it's often a good idea to charge a small fee, so people don't get tickets on the off chance and then not show up, denying someone else a chance to go.

Stuart thank you for sharing your wealth of experience, to me asking for 5 plus booking fee for a free drink which cost price is probably less than 1, sounded like someone trying to make a profit!

I feel rightfully patronised and will now ensure that i keep my views to myself

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 25/04/2012 11:30 by stuckinlondon.

Bod (IP Logged)
25 April, 2012 11:31
The "booking fee" sh!te really takes the Michael!

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_dOg4Ljp3kh8/Sf89bRrqecI/AAAAAAAAAJY/eJCF1kt4b0E/s200/DON%27T-SHOOT-THE-MESSENGER1.jpg

TCM2007 (IP Logged)
25 April, 2012 11:35
Eh? I was simply explaining a common mechanism for controlling numbers efficiently.

I can do patronising - ask anyone - but not in this case.

Stuart

Former ed.

King Curtis (IP Logged)
25 April, 2012 11:43
Quote:
BathBerk
Just had a call from the Bath ticket office to say that the Fans Forum next week is now going to be free and they are refunding me my 10 for the two tickets I had bought, but I won't get my 2 booking fee back or a free drink on the night, so by my calculations I might be 1 up on the whole deal.

Am I being daft? How can you be a 1 up? Surely you're 2 down as they haven't given you your booking fee back?

I think the 5 originated as it was going to be in the Hilton but is now in the clubhouse.

Bod (IP Logged)
25 April, 2012 11:46
"I think the 5 originated as it was going to be in the Hilton but is now in the clubhouse."

What would have been wrong with Farleigh? That'd have gotten bums on seats no doubt!

Optimist (IP Logged)
25 April, 2012 11:47
Quote:
TCM2007
When organising events like this, it's often a good idea to charge a small fee, so people don't get tickets on the off chance and then not show up, denying someone else a chance to go.
Hence the "5 including a free drink" thing.

Since when has the clubhouse ever been so packed for one of these events that people have been 'denied the chance' to attend?

TCM2007 (IP Logged)
25 April, 2012 11:48
Only those bums with cars,

Stuart

Former ed.

25 April, 2012 11:49
Stuart,

I may lead far too a simple life living up in the big smoke, having never organised anything in my life I bow to superior knowledge.

But to me it is fairly simple. Make the event something people want to attend and to control numbers issue tickets, there are numerous business models around that will model what % will turn up dependent on amount issued. Most major buisness use these models, flights always overbooked, hotels usually overbook etc etc knowing that a % won't turn up.

If you want to ensure that people who say they will attend, attend you can hold what is called a refundable deposit, these things occur again in many many major businesses, and if you fail to attend you lose it.

To charge for an event it is a profit making business model, nothing else. The club have made a cock up here. They thought that it would be more popular than it is and charged 5 with a free drink, probably worth 0.80 cost. Clear 4.20 margin take off staff and running costs. But the model probably predicts that all attending will spend 5 more on drinks nibbles etc. It's backfired with what sounds like less than 50 people attending, so there backtracking and trying to attract others there as it is free on the hope that the average spend will cover the costs of running the night.

But perhaps I'm wrong, I have been known to be.

TCM2007 (IP Logged)
25 April, 2012 11:50
Quote:
Optimist

Since when has the clubhouse ever been so packed for one of these events that people have been 'denied the chance' to attend?

I guess they expected that there would be a lot of people wanting to hold the coaches to account for this tedious season. It seems they were wrong.

Stuart

Former ed.

TCM2007 (IP Logged)
25 April, 2012 11:55
[quote stuckinlondon]Stuart,

I may lead far too a simple life living up in the big smoke, having never organised anything in my life I bow to superior knowledge.[/quotw]

Now who's being patronising?

[quote]But to me it is fairly simple. Make the event something people want to attend and to control numbers issue tickets, there are numerous business models around that will model what % will turn up dependent on amount issued. Most major buisness use these models, flights always overbooked, hotels usually overbook etc etc knowing that a % won't turn up.[/quote]

So you'd have been happy being turned away because the clubhouse was over its fire limit and they'd overbooked?

[quote]If you want to ensure that people who say they will attend, attend you can hold what is called a refundable deposit, these things occur again in many many major businesses, and if you fail to attend you lose it.[/quote]

Massively overcomplicated.

[quote]To charge for an event it is a profit making business model, nothing else.[/quote]

I've explained a possible "else". Barters has suggested another.

[quote]The club have made a cock up here. ...It's backfired ... there backtracking
[/quote]

They've changed their minds as fewer people booked tickets, really no biggie.

We do like to make a drama out of nothing on ERE.

Stuart

Former ed.

25 April, 2012 12:03
Stuart

Yes I'm sorry again for making a point! and yes I am being patronising.

I will resume the default position that the Sun shines out of Bath Rugby's backside. They can do no wrong.

Silly me for disagreeing I shall go back to my day job, now how shall we distribute these Olympic tickets?

Bod (IP Logged)
25 April, 2012 12:21
"So you'd have been happy being turned away because the clubhouse was over its fire limit and they'd overbooked?"

That'd set a good precedent - Yes, I would!

BathBerk (IP Logged)
25 April, 2012 12:23
Interesting comments from everyone. I am a little surprised that ticket sales for this were so poor. Given how much we are prepared to pay for season tickets alone, let alone everything else they sell us, I would have thought a fiver that included a free drink (worth 3.50?) was worthwhile (obviously as I bought two tickets) to hear what key people and players at the club have got to say after all the disappointing results and recent comings and goings. I found the Christmas with the coaches very interesting, and apart from anything it provided me with some optimism going forward, even if it did turn out to be somewhat misplaced.

The fact that sales have been so poor explains the move and while that does look a little silly from a business point of view, I can see why they have changed their minds. Lets hope it encourages more people to go along and hear things from the horses mouth rather than endless speculation here on ERE?

Humpo (IP Logged)
25 April, 2012 12:48
StuckInLondon - (Sm152)

TCM2007 (IP Logged)
25 April, 2012 13:06
Quote:
stuckinlondon
Stuart
Yes I'm sorry again for making a point! and yes I am being patronising.

I will resume the default position that the Sun shines out of Bath Rugby's backside. They can do no wrong.

Silly me for disagreeing I shall go back to my day job, now how shall we distribute these Olympic tickets?

Why do you keep apologising, albeit sarcastically, for making a point? This is SN internet discussion forum, yet you appear shocked and offended that someone would have the gall to discuss something on it.

You are allowed to disagree with me, I'm allowed to disagree with you.

All this mock offense and threatened flouncing is a bit silly don't you think?

Stuart

Former ed.

Bathbadger (IP Logged)
25 April, 2012 13:08
Such free events have been managed well by both the BBC 5 live (With Gatland, Geech et al in attendance) and also BRSC. BBC Free ticket event was well attended and no-one turned away and I can't remember it ever happening at a BRSC event. Couple of good models to follow there?

Perhaps it may have been a good event to ask BRSC to have handled on behalf of the club?

Agree in the grand scheme of things it's no great shakes, but remembering this was originally flat 5 (+booking fee), then changed to 5 to include a drink and now a free event with ticket cost refunded minus booking fee, it does not really seem well thought out.

Again, perhaps a better response might have been to refund the ticket money and if you bring your ticket on the night you can have a drink in lieu of the booking fee cost?

Cheers,

Rich

WestonDave (IP Logged)
25 April, 2012 13:13
Trouble with this was, it originally went out as 5 per head at which point most people thought "Stuff that - I'm not paying any more this season" and never went back to it. It got quietly change to a free drink which we on Ere picked up but many others probably didn't. Even now its only a quiet change on the offy - they haven't put it out as a new story on email or Facebook etc.

At 5 I wouldn't go, at 5 including a free drink I wouldn't bother going. Even now I still wondering if I can be bothered to organise my day enough to be able to get into Bath by 7pm when I don't really expect any real answers.

Maybe the fact that people like BathBerk went at Christmas and came away feeling reassured only to find that things got worse rather than better, has made people think twice about giving up time and (originally) money to be sold a load of BS again.

brightonbath (IP Logged)
25 April, 2012 13:13
i had a call to offer me a refund for the event which i thought was great. however i wasnt charged a booking fee at all so not too sure what people are talking about tbh

Optimist (IP Logged)
25 April, 2012 13:15
if this is all the business acumen that's required to build a billion pound company from nothing then i'm off to distribute some pharmaceuticals!

WestonDave (IP Logged)
25 April, 2012 13:18
Opti - that is potentially the problem - pharma co's aren't dealing with masses of people, and its the people handling side which is lacking - albeit that Blofeld ought to understand this side of things.

TCM2007 (IP Logged)
25 April, 2012 13:25
Quote:
WestonDave

Maybe the fact that people like BathBerk went at Christmas and came away feeling reassured only to find that things got worse rather than better, has made people think twice about giving up time and (originally) money to be sold a load of BS again.

A lot depends on the questioning; I'm sure they well be full of lessons learned and positivity about next year.

But will they be prepared to talk honestly about this year's mistakes?

I'm considering going on the off chance that they do.

Stuart

Former ed.

Stir Crazy (IP Logged)
25 April, 2012 13:25
..." i'm off to distribute some pharmaceuticals!..." eye popping smiley
I thought we were past all that?! (Sm163)

Tom "Samson" Biggs - Adopted Player 2012/2013
Chris Cook - Adopted Player 2011/2012
Luke (THE LAW) Watson - Adopted Player 2010/11
Michael " Classy" Claassens - Adopted Player 2009/2010

Building a nice future VETS team!!!

GrumpyDave (IP Logged)
25 April, 2012 13:33
FFS, this was five quid. You have gripes? Go! How open can they be? Some cant make it; fair enough. Otherwise this is the chance to stick it to the man. as it were. Stop moaning and start doing! Ask the questions, propose the solutions, and instead of perpetual whining on this site how about awful the club is how about you turn up and grill 'em?

BathBerk (IP Logged)
25 April, 2012 14:02
In there interests of balance as they say on the BBC I can confirm that a very nice lady from the ticket office recently called me back to say that having checked it appears I was the only person to have been charged a booking fee and this was an error made my a new person working in the office the day I booked. I am sure the call had nothing to do with all the chat on here(Sm14). Anyway, while I appreciated the offer it seemd churlish to ask them to put 2 in the post etc so I declined their offer and can now bask in the glory of knowing that Bruce is forever 2 in my debt (notwithstanding however much he is subsidising the club and saving me on ticket prices etc of course)

Optimist (IP Logged)
25 April, 2012 14:34
I've just paid five quid for my son's ticket to see an entire day's play at Lord's, England vs West Indies. You can charge for pretty much anything...but you've got to get the price right.

Personally, I don't understand why the club don't charge something for United matches, for example, even if it was just a discretionary charge that would be put directly into the Community Foundation budget.

But, there is no conceivable way that any senior employee of Bath Rugby is going to say anything at this event that isn't already in, or on the point of being in the public domain. Where's the fiver's-worth in that?

grumpybear (IP Logged)
25 April, 2012 15:01
Now on the Offy. Seems like someone does take notice of ERE!!!

After some clear feedback and to make sure as many people can come as possible, we have dropped the 5 per ticket and free drink for the Fans' Forum, but do still need people to register. Anyone who has already bought a ticket will be contacted by the ticket office for a full refund over the next couple of days.

It will be in the Clubhouse at the Rec from 7pm on Tuesday 1st May giving you the ideal chance to ask questions of Nick Blofeld, Brad Davis and Stuart Hooper and is intended to be an open and honest forum for your feedback and views.

Tickets are limited to two per person to ensure plenty of Supporters can make it and we fully expect the evening to fill up quickly so do call the ticket office on 0844 448 1865 to book a place.

We look forward to seeing you on the 1st May at the Rec.

Bod (IP Logged)
25 April, 2012 15:03
No Brucie is the weak part of the deal. He seems to prefer to keep out of the line of fire. Opti is probably right - it won't be an evening for enlightenment.

25 April, 2012 15:11
Quote:
Optimist
if this is all the business acumen that's required to build a billion pound company from nothing then i'm off to distribute some pharmaceuticals!

I doubt BC2 had much to do with it but NB must have been involved, seems that Bath Rugby still have some issues in relation to the business acumen they use.

Stuart

Why do you keep apologising, albeit sarcastically, for making a point? This is SN internet discussion forum, yet you appear shocked and offended that someone would have the gall to discuss something on it. That's it Stuart discuss not preach! You have a tendency to post fairly patronising responses, my opinon only

You are allowed to disagree with me, I'm allowed to disagree with you.
Indeed

All this mock offense and threatened flouncing is a bit silly don't you think? I'm sorry for flouncing!I honestly don't feel threatened --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TCM2007 (IP Logged)
25 April, 2012 16:21
No preaching intended stuckinlondon, and to be honest reading back I can't really see what you mean.

I tend to post short, direct answers at times, but that's just my writing style.

Please assume virtual "I think" and "IMHOs" all over my posts - I think they're implicit in posting on ERE in the first place.

Stuart

Former ed.

annie blackthorn (IP Logged)
25 April, 2012 17:21
Might be worth going, but it does take effort especially now that we can no longer park on the Rec. Glad they have dropped the 5 charge which I felt was an insult after what we have had to put up since September, esp for STH who bought their tickets in good faith back in July last year.

I don't think myself that there are answers that can be given in a public meeting as to why so many poor decisions have been made both on and off the pitch. Bl********ng obvious to many anyway. I sincerely hope that lessons have been learned and things will be run differently next season, and that they have appointed astute experienced skilled strong minded sensible Coaching staff who are 'leaders of men' and who will have had it written in their contract as to what and how they are responsible for.

Adoptee for 2017/18 James Phillips - newly arrived and bringing a wealth of experience in the Prem!

Peasedown Exile (IP Logged)
25 April, 2012 19:33
When and where is this meeting???? How many of the ERE members are going?? Ta!

http://i46.tinypic.com/p3b4x.jpghttp://i47.tinypic.com/3354bvb.jpg

FairShout (IP Logged)
25 April, 2012 19:58
Delighted to see that a topic like this has quite rightly stirred a high response with varied opinions

I called the ticket office and reserved two spots for the forum. I also advised that I would write to our CEO as I REFUSED to pay!

only the previous Friday night I took a mini party of five to Sale costing circa 200 including F&b(don't want to add up the cost of going to every away game!) The reward for loyal support is to charge 5 for me to walk 50 yards to a fans forum...er sorry are you really serious about your fan base BC?

An earlier posting raised the possibility of charging for Bath united matches...why? The youngsters love playing in front of a good crowd and it's great experience. Tonight on my way home I popped into the Rec to watch local clubs playing some sort of final...it's great to see and part of the community spirit and it was free.

The forum is the opportunity for every fan to turn up and ask questions of both the playing staff and in particular the executive management. Whilst rumours abound about new coaching appointments, one up front, talented and straight talking coach will be there to answer questions of which there will be plenty. Suggest we appreciate that Brad Davis who has been the stand out coach by a country mile is putting himself up to try and answer some questions...that's if he can figure what's gone wrong as well.

We have an important match at Leicester so lets make sure it's a strong turn out and show the club that as well as wanting to ask questions and LISTEN to what they have to say...that the exec management understand that it's our club and we are attending the Forum as we CARE about our future.

Last I saw was that local club Avon were winning but to wet to stay!

TCM2007 (IP Logged)
25 April, 2012 20:13
Those who complain about the club charging for things should remember that they ultimately have only two sources of revenue: Bruce Craig and us.

Oh, some of the money they get from us is indirect - money we pay to Sky say, which Sky pass back - or even really indirect - extra we pay for the products of sponsors to fund their marketing budgets to buy the hoardings and shirt logos.

But at the end of the day, the only real cash that Bath gets comes from us and Bruce.

So if you're calling for signing for cap-busting marquee internationals, don't then be surprised when the club does everything in its power to raise more cash.

Stuart

Former ed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 25/04/2012 20:13 by TCM2007.

FairShout (IP Logged)
25 April, 2012 20:29
Stuart...I agree with so much that you post and there is no question that your heart bleeds blue black and white...however on this particular occasion I will slightly disagree with you.

Up until yesterday .circa 40 people had signed up to attend the forum thus generating a gross revenue of 200. As a matter of principal I will be happy to place 200 behind the bar for genuine fans to enjoy s free alcohol or soft drink, thus the club will not lose out ( Yes this is a genuine offer) plus if more fans turn up and enjoy the facilities in the bar, this will add further revenue to the club!

My point is that the fans need the recognition from the club that we are appreciated, our voice is heard and when we are invited to meet with the club to engage on fan related issues, that we are not expected to pay for the privilege. I think it's short term thinking and not looking st the bigger picture

However for the record I enjoy reading and catching up with your posts

annie blackthorn (IP Logged)
25 April, 2012 20:57
Only (approx for the accountant minded)30% of the Club's income is from ticket sales, Stuart. But I suspect a great deal more is added if we all stay to drink inside, buy programmes etc. take a table at one of the more expensive events, etc.

Adoptee for 2017/18 James Phillips - newly arrived and bringing a wealth of experience in the Prem!

TCM2007 (IP Logged)
25 April, 2012 21:10
Did I say ticket sales Annie?

Whether it's tickets, beer, shirts, Sky monies or sponsorship, ultimately it all comes from you and I.

Stuart

Former ed.

Optimist (IP Logged)
25 April, 2012 21:35
Your arguments are rarely that weak, Stu. To take yours to your (il)logical extreme, why doesn't the club charge more for this event? 15 say?

Or at the other extreme - say the club had made it free to the first 150 and thrown in a free drink and a pie to each of them. I'd be willing to bet that there would have been queues to get hands on the tickets, a shedload of cash spent over the bar later on, and a general feeling of goodwill that could easily translate into plenty of revenue for the club over the longer term.

As things stand, I suspect some of those who do turn up will be hardened in their resolve to give Brad et al a right old shoeing.

dragonfly (IP Logged)
25 April, 2012 21:48
Will be at the Fans' Forum on May 1st.
Won't be giving Brad Davies a "right old shoeing" as IMHO he is one of the few to come out of this season with any credit.

FairShout (IP Logged)
25 April, 2012 21:50
Great posting

100 plus fans turning up for a night with the coach and CEO, with a free coke in one hand, portion of chips in the other and a welcome smile from the marketing department...that would guarantee many smiles, a feel of "were all on the same team" and a great reside for a great bloke, that's Brad not management!

Who would have just the one free drink? Only meanies and were not at Bath. So the bar will have a great night's taking and the retail shop will send over a sales assistant offering end of season discounts of 50% discount to die hard supporters on a number of items, which hopefully will go to generating a far better range of Bath rugby merchandise...that we see at so many away clubs shops.

All in all then, a fab commercial opportunity for the club. A FREE meet the coach forum for supporters to enjoy and the club makes money whilst supporters are happy. It's a WIN WIN....or we could go back to the 5 and who came up with that moment of genius?

TCM2007 (IP Logged)
25 April, 2012 22:22
Opti, I don't care how much they do or don't charge for this. Just slightly surprised that it's being argued that they shouldn't try to make money out of fans. Their business is making money out of fans.

Stuart

Former ed.

Peasedown Exile (IP Logged)
25 April, 2012 22:47
Again, where and when?? Ta!

http://i46.tinypic.com/p3b4x.jpghttp://i47.tinypic.com/3354bvb.jpg

Bod (IP Logged)
26 April, 2012 00:33
Quote:
TCM2007
Those who complain about the club charging for things should remember that they ultimately have only two sources of revenue: Bruce Craig and us.

F()ckwittery of the first degree - if he's not astute enough to find a correct marketing angle other than some weirdo financial organisation that no local punter understands then he ain't up for it.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net