Current Page: 2 of 4

Re: Fans Forum now free
dragonfly (IP Logged)
26 April, 2012 07:12
Quote:
Peasedown Exile
Again, where and when?? Ta!

Tuesday May 1st, 7pm start, in the clubhouse

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 26/04/2012 07:13 by dragonfly.

Optimist (IP Logged)
26 April, 2012 07:21
Quote:
TCM2007
Opti, I don't care how much they do or don't charge for this. Just slightly surprised that it's being argued that they shouldn't try to make money out of fans. Their business is making money out of fans.

again....surprised at you. Nobody on this thread has attempted to aruge that they 'shouldn't try to make money out of fans'. Try fitting in the words 'counter-productive' somewhere.

zacdog (IP Logged)
26 April, 2012 09:58
Re charging for United ganes (rather belatedly)
I was told a while ago that if any charge is made, however small, it obviously becomes a paying event which kicks all the elf and safety rules in.
Amongst many this requires a full compliment of stewards regardless of the number of people in attendance thus almost certainly making it a large loss-making evening for the club.

TCM2007 (IP Logged)
26 April, 2012 10:10
I wouldn't have through the laws on health and safety depended on whether you've paid to get in or not. We have dafter laws, but that one would need quite daft - "we don't care if you get hurt so long as you haven't paid".

Stuart

Former ed.

Bod (IP Logged)
26 April, 2012 10:14
Voluntary attendance at a venue as opposed to paying to enter can change the arguments made as to the nature of the event attended or being conducted, and again the interpretation of duty of care and liabilities.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_dOg4Ljp3kh8/Sf89bRrqecI/AAAAAAAAAJY/eJCF1kt4b0E/s200/DON%27T-SHOOT-THE-MESSENGER1.jpg

stuckinlondon (IP Logged)
26 April, 2012 12:50
When organising events like this, it's often a good idea to charge a small fee, so people don't get tickets on the off chance and then not show up, denying someone else a chance to go.

Hence the "5 including a free drink" thing.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stuart

Quote:
TCM2007
Opti, I don't care how much they do or don't charge for this. Just slightly surprised that it's being argued that they shouldn't try to make money out of fans. Their business is making money out of fans.

Stuart,

Earlier on in this thread you advocated that it was a way of ensuring that people turned up, now you're saying that the club are making money out of fans.

I am slightly confused by your change of approach. Are you an MP Stuart? How your argument has changed in the groundswell of comments amazes me!

TCM2007 (IP Logged)
26 April, 2012 12:57
My comment was in the general case, not the specific.

In any case the two things are not mutually exclusive, are they?

Stuart

Former ed.

26 April, 2012 13:08
Stuart,

Read back through the context of the thread, my point was i felt it was inappropriate for the club to be charging and making a profit. That if they were concerned about numbers they could offer it on a free ticket basis.

Your response was to avoid people failing to turn up it is a technique to charge a small amount. In my opinion implicitly arguing that they were not attemptint to make a profit.

Suddenly you're now saying it's the clubs business to make profits out of fans.

I appreciate your passionate defence of Bath rugby but i must say i sometimes think that you need a dose of reality, we are a poor team on the pitch being managed by an unproven management team!

Miles Offside (IP Logged)
26 April, 2012 13:32
If you are going, be sure to phone up before the weekend - it's still an access-by-ticket event and they'll post them to you. Now it's free, I should think demand is soaring!

As far as the charging goes, I agree that the club haven't got the marketing balance right yet - NB has been set the challenge of making the club financially self-sufficient, and must justify Bruce's investment by building the structure to make that happen in the long run.

I get the impression that the non-playing teams are being set some challenging goals, and are not yet experienced enough to know where to set a price point. Some events should be largely free (such as United Games), and the bar & food takings be seen as the means to recoup some or all costs. There seems to be a confusion between what should be a revenue stream, like Dinners, Boxes, Hospitality & sponsorship, and PR investments which can't & shouldn't break even, but are good for cementing and improving club-community relations, like the Family Fun Day and, I would have thought, the Fans' Forum!

(Sm109)

edited to put the apostrophe where Barters wanted it!(Sm154)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 26/04/2012 13:44 by Miles Offside.

King Curtis (IP Logged)
26 April, 2012 13:41
I'd appreciate it if the club as a whole could learn how to use an apostrophe correctly.

It should be a Fans' Forum. Not a Fans Forum as I have seen it advertised, or even a Fan's Forum as my ticket states.

That said, someone has got it right on the updated news article about it being a free event.

Optimist (IP Logged)
26 April, 2012 14:46
I'm not sure about that barters - Fans Forum (without apostrophe) could probably be justified as a compound noun - so it's just a name for the event and not subject to the apostrophe, which would be needed if they wanted specifically to distinguish it from other Forums (or Fora....but that would just be being pedantic!).

If, for example, it were a forum for the staff, you wouldn't call it the Staff's Forum, unless you were distinguishing it from the Fans' Forum, or the Players' Forum.

Mike the Taxi (IP Logged)
26 April, 2012 14:56
I know I've used it before, but....

Grammar -
the difference between knowing your sh--
and knowing you're sh--.

Kidney Stone (IP Logged)
26 April, 2012 23:26
Quote:
Ex-Bod
Voluntary attendance at a venue as opposed to paying to enter can change the arguments made as to the nature of the event attended or being conducted, and again the interpretation of duty of care and liabilities.

For an enclosed - i.e. building - type venue it would make no difference. The duty of care applies in full to the controller or owner of the premises.

King Curtis (IP Logged)
27 April, 2012 08:25
Interesting Optimist...

But I am defintely correct. (Sm125)

Bod (IP Logged)
27 April, 2012 08:26
Quote:
Kidney Stone
Quote:
Ex-Bod

For an enclosed - i.e. building - type venue it would make no difference. The duty of care applies in full to the controller or owner of the premises.

But, what about charging for the use of a public right of way?

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_dOg4Ljp3kh8/Sf89bRrqecI/AAAAAAAAAJY/eJCF1kt4b0E/s200/DON%27T-SHOOT-THE-MESSENGER1.jpg

27 April, 2012 11:34
I am now intrigued that i may take this to the european court,

Do Bath Rugby have a duty of care to ensure all supporters are safe from harm?

I'd argue yes, so is the fact that they've been playing such terrible rugby and bringing my blood pressure up so high that i might have an embolism on their risk list

Kidney Stone (IP Logged)
27 April, 2012 16:12
Quote:
Ex-Bod
Quote:
Kidney Stone
Quote:
Ex-Bod

But, what about charging for the use of a public right of way?

Bod - I truly do not understand what you mean. Are Bath Rugby charging for someone to walk down the street.

Bath Rugby are the duty holders for the complete footprint of the Rec as they have control of the premises, including access and egress, regardless whether they charge or do not charge.

Bathbadger (IP Logged)
01 May, 2012 07:26
Now sold out smiling smiley

Cheers,

Rich

Dorset Boy (IP Logged)
01 May, 2012 07:54
To be pedantic, BB, how can a free event be 'sold' out?

homeontherec (IP Logged)
01 May, 2012 07:57
How can it have sold out when these important issues have yet to be resolved ?

Where should the apostrophe go ? Should there even be one ?

What are the health and safety ramifications of having people convene mutually in one location ? Should the European courts be consulted ?

Should there be a charge and should this charge include a complimentary beverage ? What about people with bladder weakness ? Heaven help them if they have to get up during "play" ! SIT DOWN !

Just another example of this unproven management team not concentrating on the important details before organising an event.

This just stinks of Ian McGeechan the tailgating b*st*rd.

(Sm161)

Optimist (IP Logged)
01 May, 2012 08:09
very good hotr. Threads that develop into inane musings, miles from the original topic, are always amongst my favourites on ERE.

Bathbadger (IP Logged)
01 May, 2012 08:18
Quote:
Dorset Boy
To be pedantic, BB, how can a free event be 'sold' out?

No idea, ask the club DB - but i think we get what they mean! winking smiley

Cheers,

Rich

Bod (IP Logged)
01 May, 2012 08:22
Take your Sou'westers and wellies folks!

Peasedown Exile (IP Logged)
01 May, 2012 14:30
Yep. "sold out" indeed, i and a friend wanted to go but we have no tickets, so we now will not be going, real shame.sad smiley

http://i46.tinypic.com/p3b4x.jpghttp://i47.tinypic.com/3354bvb.jpg

Bri (IP Logged)
01 May, 2012 15:16
If anyone could ask about pre season friendlies,I would be grateful as if it was somewhere nice I'd like to go.ta

Optimist (IP Logged)
01 May, 2012 15:31
could somebody ask whether Dan Lyle's registration has been sorted out if they get an opportunity. Thanks.

01 May, 2012 15:33
Anyone who has tickets, but for some reason can't now go??????

annie blackthorn (IP Logged)
01 May, 2012 16:37
Can we have a match report? Is anyone able to keep calm enough to take notes and be objective? Even if it turns out to be a PR exercise par excellence, sure some of you have the wit to ask the pertinent questions in a civil fashion?

Of course we can always read the BRTv version of events....................... at the sold out Fans Forum.

Adoptee for 2017/18 James Phillips - newly arrived and bringing a wealth of experience in the Prem!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/2012 16:45 by annie blackthorn.

spud1610 (IP Logged)
01 May, 2012 21:15
Just returned really quite interesting - Hooper, Blofeld and Davis on the board. Personally felt somewhat short changed to have no Haag or Geech, accepting that they are on there way out it still would have been nice to have them there and have some honest and open answers. Some very honest and cutting questions such as where those on the board think that we have particular weakness in the pack and one very fine question towards the end as to the percieved lack of passion that cut Hoops deep. Blofeld refused to be drawn on the subject of Geechs replacement and new signings (harping on about this seasons learning curve (like we haven't heard that before)) ! Closed with the promise of the forming of a focus group of 11-12 fans to meet quarterly and hopefully another forum come end of summer.

ligger (IP Logged)
01 May, 2012 21:31
Agree that comment really had an impact on Hooper, but maybe that shows there is passion. The questioner may have been closer in relation to confidence.

Did strongly imply that Brad is staying next year though, as that has been a question cropping up

Rampant (IP Logged)
01 May, 2012 21:49
A supporter suggested lack of passion to a player!?
I'm stunned! What a numpty!

Bod (IP Logged)
01 May, 2012 22:26
Quote:
Rampant
A supporter suggested lack of passion to a player!?
I'm stunned! What a numpty!

A valid enquiry given the pi$$ poor performances - OR, the player could explain Geek's rationale.
What was the response - fair and true, or corporate bolloxspeak?

01 May, 2012 23:36
Lack of passion??? No, i think not! Lack of skill and nous maybe.

annie blackthorn (IP Logged)
02 May, 2012 05:53
Perhaps the lack of passion accusation was addressed to the wrong player, but as Captain (and the only muppet wheeled out) he might have known that would be a question. Or wasn't he briefed properly?

Don't bother with the quarterly meeting of 12 supporters (I am assuming they won't all be men!) good and true. Its not our job to put things right.

Adoptee for 2017/18 James Phillips - newly arrived and bringing a wealth of experience in the Prem!

RalphAllen (IP Logged)
02 May, 2012 06:53
AnnieB. I really don't follow the rationale of your last comment. Whether mean spirited or just cynical, I can't tell. Just take it for what it is, an attempt to improve dialogue with supporters - they're not asking you to take responsibility for 'putting things right', as you call it.

Either get involved or leave it to others, whether men or women, girls or boys. And I'm sure if it doesn't work, you will tell us. Lighten up, for god's sake!

Which Tyler (IP Logged)
02 May, 2012 07:24
Can't believe anyone was stupid enough to genuinely question the players' passion.

Also completely fail to see why it's wrong for the club to consult with the fans; especially given the usual vitriol that they don't consult with the fans.

A man who cannot change his mind, cannot change anything
http://www.rugbyrebels.co/board/download/file.php?id=377
RAEBURN SHIELD

Beergoggles (IP Logged)
02 May, 2012 07:37
Quote:
Closed with the promise of the forming of a focus group of 11-12 fans to meet quarterly

And before we know it we'll all be treated as key stakeholders and be asked to sign up to a mission statement and strategic plan. I for one vote for keeping corporate *******s out of rugby.

ELT (IP Logged)
02 May, 2012 07:37
Actually, I thought Hoops spoke well. He didn't try to use injuries or bad luck as excuses, but felt we had suffered from a lack of continuity (8 or 9 new players to integrate), and lacked precision and accuracy in many aspects of our play. He also acknowledged we had to improve our set piece so that referees didn't continue with the 'perception' that we have a weak front row.
Brad was also pretty honest, I thought. He admitted they couldn't agree on their best centre partnership (finally plumped for Barkley and Carraro), and acknowledged that a combination of Williams and Hipkiss had certain positives but was not likely to bring the best out of our wingers (Biggsy got a ripple of applause whenever his name was mentioned). He also said they that they had struggled to use Banners effectively.
Best news of the night for me was NB saying that Brad would be an integral part of the new coaching structure - set to be announced next week - but he wouldn't confirm we had signed Paul James. In a roundabout way he also acknowledged it had been a mistake not to find a replacement for Smee.
There was a bit of spin ('things will get better I promise you'), but that is to be expected, and overall I think they did a fair job and didn't duck some fairly critical questions.

02 May, 2012 07:41
I'm glad someone questioned the passion, I've been doing it all season. It's a valid question with a number of answers. I would have asked it if I had been able to go

I would hope that the fact that it apparently got to Stuart Hooper demonstrates that the badge and club mean something to him. I fear that it may have been a "game plan" and coaching issue that didn't allow the players to show what we would consider "passion". Told not to hit rucks and mauls, play in a certain way. We saw when shackles came off against Wasps in the second half a much improved performance.

I don't doubt the players all have passion for the club I doubt that they are allowed to express it on the field and that is a coaching issue.

It was a fans forum and no question should be off the table.

CoochieCoo (IP Logged)
02 May, 2012 07:48
Quote:
WhichTyler
Can't believe anyone was stupid enough to genuinely question the players' passion.

Gosh! Was Bod there?

http://zdgzqa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1p7Mwi7pLXeM89TY2KFdDQ-UUDGSv1FKNdhYdrW-koAuRN3tsqCPfE3onFxuO-3cZ0057Tom1uJai3vjkz3dvY_Q/1998%20Euro%20Champs.jpg http://zdgzqa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pFul9UAV5zEXOzeRc1kmmlgDKXTYTIlTnGoQzYelH6KzdCeU-exN0IGo74QN2OGvlSoEiVjzAESvHx9BFlBsNFA/Bath%202008.jpg

Dorset Boy (IP Logged)
02 May, 2012 07:48
What would a professional player rather be questioned on:
Lack of passion for the shirt, or just a lack of the basic skills required to do the job?

Old Bathonian (IP Logged)
02 May, 2012 07:52
Quote:
Which Tyler
Also completely fail to see why it's wrong for the club to consult with the fans; especially given the usual vitriol that they don't consult with the fans.

Well I would imagine they were refering to the "This is just a job" attitude that some of our leading players exhibit come match day.

Given the recent performances it is a perfectly valid question.

Bod (IP Logged)
02 May, 2012 07:59
Quote:
Beergoggles
Quote:
Closed with the promise of the forming of a focus group of 11-12 fans to meet quarterly

And before we know it we'll all be treated as key stakeholders and be asked to sign up to a mission statement and strategic plan. I for one vote for keeping corporate *******s out of rugby.

Indeed Bg
If there were a real interest to engage closer with the fans then NB would have kept the Offy Forum open - and maybe copied Whatsisface from Sorries and had the occasional exchange on his site directly.

Focus Group?
FFS!

fat lock (IP Logged)
02 May, 2012 08:07
The focus group could be good but it depends on how the group is formed.
I suspect self selected by the club - surround yourselves with people who'll give the answers you want and it confirms how brilliant you are.

Bath Fan Jack (IP Logged)
02 May, 2012 08:09
I felt given the circumstances there was a lot of contrition, mea culpe abounded.

My points from the evening, in no particular order;

1. Blofeld was late because he had been to Silverstone to see a temporary stand which might be suitable for the East Side with better facilities underneath and possibly a cover!

2. Rec proceeds with 2015 still his target for a 17,500 - 18,000 seater. Case officer at Charity Commission has changed so going over a lot of old ground with a new person.

3. They are going to recruit somebody whose job is to deal with recruitment - like Leicester.

4 In an ideal world they would like to develop talent form Somerset, Wilts and Dorset and supplement from around the world as needed by the person in number 2.

5. For me probably most important Blofeld stated that he wanted a bunch of gnarled forwards and Bath to play wide rugby.

6. Biggs got a major rumbling of support and Brad recognised that he had made mistakes in the centre over the season.

7. On the passion front I think Hooper got it right by saying that the level of passion as far as he felt was not the issue but some players at some times (as far as he could reasonably go) just did not play well.

8. New coaches to be appointed, hopefully next week.

9. Discussion about Exeter's out performance with intersting anecdote from Hooper. When he was at Leeds they should have been relegated but no team was qualified to come up so they stayed up and were then 5th the next season. His point being about continuity and a team closing together. He talked about Quins and Saints who now consider relegation was a good thing for them.

10 Finally nice self deprecating story from Hooper whose wife has been watching him play for 11 years and who has never commented on his play. After the last game she said "wow that Kyle is some player"!

Boy (IP Logged)
02 May, 2012 08:22
Quote:
Ex-Bod
Quote:
Beergoggles
Quote:

Indeed Bg
If there were a real interest to engage closer with the fans then NB would have kept the Offy Forum open - and maybe copied Whatsisface from Sorries and had the occasional exchange on his site directly.

Focus Group?
FFS!

So there's not a 'real interest to engage closer with the fans'?

Two words: Dave Guyan.

Humpo (IP Logged)
02 May, 2012 08:28
Love point number 10, did raise a smile.

I don't see why anyone is having a go at the person who asked the player passion question? I think it is perfectly valid and I have wondered the same thing for the past season.

ballsout (IP Logged)
02 May, 2012 08:36
Bod's hypocrisy reaches new levels.

Thanks for the reports all, sounds a very positive night. Well done the club and those involved.

As for the numpty questioning the players' passion, oh dear. Cringeworthy.

pubtime (IP Logged)
02 May, 2012 08:39
I doubt there is a lack of passion, but this can be undermined by low morale brought on by poor results which is the responsibility of the coaching staff who seemed to lack the ability to motivate..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2012 09:01 by pubtime.

TCM2007 (IP Logged)
02 May, 2012 08:49
Thanks for the reports.

I have seen nothing which leads me to question the passion of the players, but can see that some fans post-match anger leads them to that conclusion as the (the fans) are suffering mental anguish which they don't always see matched. TBH that's more about fans caring too much than players not caring enough. Asking the question is fine; sounds like it was well answered.

Stuart

Former ed.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net