rugbyunion
Latest News:

Re: Thursday's Chronic
Boy (IP Logged)
26 April, 2012 13:06
Can anyone spread any light on why appointing Gold and appointing Catty are mutually exclusive? Article doesn't really explain it.

King Curtis (IP Logged)
26 April, 2012 14:18
For some reason the online version does not carry it but in the Gold article in the print version it says something to the effect that Bath won't be able to retain Beech, Catt and Flatman if Paul James arrives...

So, who's your money on to be leaving?

Griff (IP Logged)
26 April, 2012 15:13
Quote:
Barters
For some reason the online version does not carry it but in the Gold article in the print version it says something to the effect that Bath won't be able to retain Beech, Catt and Flatman if Paul James arrives...
I would say Flats, personally I think he's carrying an injury which is long term and effects his binding, with him being in the twilight of his career the club would be better of sticking with Beech and Catty

Kyle Eastmond Adopted player 2014/15

"You're going to need a bigger boat"

WestonDave (IP Logged)
26 April, 2012 15:35
Quote:
Barters

Beech is married to SIM's daughter, and with SIM not exactly having gone down a storm in Bath, its not inconceivable that the whole family decide to put the Bath experience behind them. I recall a while ago Heather posted something on the Bath Rugby Facebook page about stopping reading it because she didn't like the comments on there.

In theory letting Flatman retire would make sense, and may be the most likely option but Beech being released elsewhere or even loaned out wouldn't surprise me afterall he's not managed to get above Catt or Flatman in the pecking order despite Flat's struggles.

Bri (IP Logged)
26 April, 2012 15:48
He's a good third/second choice and a good addition but in reality he shouldn't have been signed but he's here now and gives 100%,Catty is by far the better scrummager and has the edge in the loose but when Charlie has the ball in hand teams have a job at bringing him down.

OLoingseach (IP Logged)
26 April, 2012 19:32
Quote:
WestonDave
Beech is married to SIM's daughter, and with SIM not exactly having gone down a storm in Bath, its not inconceivable that the whole family decide to put the Bath experience behind them.
I saw Charlie and Heather in Sainsbury's a couple of weeks ago. I nearly asked where they were moving to, but thought better of it! Despite not being SIMs biggest fan(!) I would like to keep Beech if possible.

Stuart Anderton (IP Logged)
26 April, 2012 19:40
They don't all share a house in some kind of rugby sitcom do they?

Stuart

Editor of Come On My Lovers

Don't be a grey outline, set up your avatar

Join the COML Facebook Group

Follow COML on Twitter

Bri (IP Logged)
26 April, 2012 19:45
Charlie Beech is a gentleman whenever I've chatted to him,always got time for the fans.he needs to kick on next year,he'll be 25 so entering his best years.

OldmanofDorset (IP Logged)
26 April, 2012 20:09
Lee Mears always comes across well, and sets a good balanced tone in his interview. Great try on Saturday, his usual lively happy self after the game, great player, great person. Hope Bath extends his contract for a few more years yet as he is always worth watching.

Cry "God" for Bath, England and the Lions

26 April, 2012 20:35
Like Beech - good carier of the ball - always seems to break the line - not bothered who his 'in-laws' are to be honest

OLoingseach (IP Logged)
26 April, 2012 20:52
Quote:
TCM2007
They don't all share a house in some kind of rugby sitcom do they?

Farleigh Towers[:wor kid:]

WestonDave (IP Logged)
26 April, 2012 21:04
Don't get me wrong - I think if we can keep him - maybe via a year on loan then he's probably worth persevering with. The in-laws point was more in relation to wondering whether there might be external pressures to move on.

ballsout (IP Logged)
26 April, 2012 21:39
Beech signed a three year contract didn't he? Would he really throw that away and ask to leave just because his father in law is moving on? It would be crazy to let him go and keep Flats.

gloucesterwatcher (IP Logged)
26 April, 2012 21:46
Beech and KP great prospects, what else is to say?

Susanne (IP Logged)
27 April, 2012 11:08
Beech, Catt and Flatman are all in contract next season - so surely asking them to leave would mean a pay off. I have it in the back of my mind that any such pay off would have to come out of the cap - am I right? If so letting one or more of them go wouldn't help.

http://i59.tinypic.com/4ibfh4.jpg

Grant Shiells - my adoptee for 2015/15 (A Scottish Geordie - what could be a better combination?)

Aidan (IP Logged)
27 April, 2012 11:57
You're rightl sacking them / paying them off means that their contracts are still within the cap - hence Sarries weren't able to do their night of the long knives (though a reasonable number who were told they weren't welcome were still able to secure contracts where they'd feel more loved though).
I THINK that if you have to buy someone out of the remainder of their contract, then it all falls into that year's contract, so eg, if we were to hypothetically buy flats out of 2 years worth of contract at 150k; he'd take up 300k of salary cap, whilst being unavailable to play for us.
Loan agreements are a way around this though; eg Cheeseman & JonnyF; but I'm not sure how much of the salary is offset that way, I'd guess potentially all of it if it's a permanent loan.

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5561/15137138872_df9a213fd9_m.jpg
Nick Auterac, adoptee 2014/15.
A man who cannot change his mind, cannot change anything
RAEBURN SHIELD

Miles Offside (IP Logged)
27 April, 2012 15:40
Deeply cynical of me I know, but if one of them was forced to retire due to long term injury, there would be an insurance payout and no detriment to the celery cap...(Sm163)

Just saying...

(Sm109)

King Curtis (IP Logged)
27 April, 2012 16:41
Quote:
Miles Offside
Deeply cynical of me I know, but if one of them was forced to retire due to long term injury, there would be an insurance payout and no detriment to the celery cap...(Sm163)
Just saying...

(Sm109)

This...

callmeMrTibbs (IP Logged)
28 April, 2012 10:25
McGeechan hails Kyle;

[www.thisisbath.co.uk]

RalphAllen (IP Logged)
28 April, 2012 11:04
I've spoken to more than one player who is really excited about Kyle. Has the 'wow' factor, apparently.

The sort of thing we saw last Saturday when he went past the Wasps flanker as if he wasn't there.

noidea (IP Logged)
29 April, 2012 10:03
Quote:
Which Tyler
You're rightl sacking them / paying them off means that their contracts are still within the cap - hence Sarries weren't able to do their night of the long knives (though a reasonable number who were told they weren't welcome were still able to secure contracts where they'd feel more loved though).
I THINK that if you have to buy someone out of the remainder of their contract, then it all falls into that year's contract, so eg, if we were to hypothetically buy flats out of 2 years worth of contract at 150k; he'd take up 300k of salary cap, whilst being unavailable to play for us.
Loan agreements are a way around this though; eg Cheeseman & JonnyF; but I'm not sure how much of the salary is offset that way, I'd guess potentially all of it if it's a permanent loan.

I wonder if the current thinking might be for Flats to retire from playing & get a new contract as a front row coach - I imagine this way we could remove his salary from the cap & still keep Flats happy.

Stuart Anderton (IP Logged)
29 April, 2012 12:24
Why would Flats be retiring? He's only 32.

I doubt he's as expensive as some have claimed.

Stuart

Editor of Come On My Lovers

Don't be a grey outline, set up your avatar

Join the COML Facebook Group

Follow COML on Twitter

Bri (IP Logged)
29 April, 2012 12:32
We may well need Flats next year,he isn't half as bad as some think.I personally would start him at Leicester because he is our strongest prop and I would take our biggest pack up there.Flat has a place at Bath and I hope he will come good.

Bod (IP Logged)
29 April, 2012 13:08
Quote:
TCM2007

I doubt he's as expensive as some have claimed.

Any stats on how many penalties he conceded so far this season?

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_dOg4Ljp3kh8/Sf89bRrqecI/AAAAAAAAAJY/eJCF1kt4b0E/s200/DON%27T-SHOOT-THE-MESSENGER1.jpg

Bri (IP Logged)
29 April, 2012 13:11
Not half as many as Johnstone at Quins but who cares about Stats let's just berate him.

B4thB4ck (IP Logged)
29 April, 2012 13:16
Re Beech, if he's not yet 25 his best scrummaging years are clearly still ahead of him plus I think it would be best for him to move out of SIMs shadow. It won't do him any good to be considered as only in a squad because of his family ties. I'd like to think his wife would be happier with her father out of the firing line next season.

Re Flats, if he has an impingement in his shoulder stopping him from binding effectively (not saying he has, but others are speculating) then surgery might be a possibility but it's a long road back strength wise and time would not be on his side. It would be great to see the binding problem solved and see him finish his career on a good note.

Duke of Earl (IP Logged)
29 April, 2012 13:38
I doubt that Beech would leave just having signed a new contract because SIM is leaving.. That would smell really odd.

Kidney Stone (IP Logged)
29 April, 2012 14:40
DoE - agreed.

Beech has a lot of potential, and if Catt becomes an International regular then we would need him.

I understand the family tie but surely that would not automatically mean Beech following Geech out?

Bri, you have been saying for months that we will not get anywhere without signing a quality LHP, so presumably you do not think that Flats, Catt nor Beech fill that berth adequately?

Bri (IP Logged)
29 April, 2012 14:59
Correct,if Catty was Beechy size he would be a nailed on Lion.Flats is a great servant but is coming to the end and no I can't ever see Beechy being first choice but like Catty can do a job.If James comes he might well be the answer.I must add I think they are all good players.

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net