rugbyunion
Latest News:

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Re: C.A. v Leinster
joehousewife (IP Logged)
30 April, 2012 13:44
I think it's both Stu, the rest and the ability to build combinations within the 3 sides.

OLoingseach (IP Logged)
30 April, 2012 20:00
Quote:
hasta
For OLoingseach try here next time

hahahahahahahahahahahahaha smiling smiley

annie blackthorn (IP Logged)
30 April, 2012 22:14
Good highlights on ITV4 tonight apart from that lightweight presenter Doyle.

Adoptee for 2017/18 James Phillips - newly arrived and bringing a wealth of experience in the Prem!

Flat-top (IP Logged)
02 May, 2012 09:04
Quote:
joehousewife
Yep thats right Bod, they rest players during their league season allowing them to focus 100% on the HC ,in England we can't do that.

Bath were effectively out of the HCup by Xmas this season when the team had played probably about 10 AP fixtures, and they were definately out by mid-January when at most only half the AP fixtures had occured I struggle to accept that in this case it was over-playing that contributed to the HCup campaign failure.

While I don't have any time for this particular 'excuse' for failure it could (?) have played some part in the knockout stages for AP teams who by that stage had played considerably more fixtures than their Celtic cousins but that plainly isn't the case for AP teams who didn't escape from the group stages...they just weren't good enough.

SUFTUM

Bath Fan Jack (IP Logged)
02 May, 2012 09:12
English clubs just are not playing the same type of fantastic rugby.

m0rris (IP Logged)
02 May, 2012 10:23
What BFJ said. English rugby has become too AP focused with the efforts being focused on larger less talented squads to win the prem not the Heine. This is then combined with boring rugby that sees no flair in attack nor encouragement to use your imagination whilst maintaining your basic skill... and consequently we're streets behind the Irish.

hasta (IP Logged)
02 May, 2012 11:05
Please, the French teams are even more focussed on their Top 14 than we are on the AP - and the Top Irish teams have been at the top of the Celtic League for years. The top teams in Ireland and France have been the top teams for a decade with minimal change. With the exception of Tigers, the English premiership teams have rotated. Our balanced league makes for tighter games.

Dorset Boy (IP Logged)
02 May, 2012 12:40
I don't think you can underplay the vast, vast experience of playing pressure HEC matches that the Irish players have. With the big three provinces guaranteed entry each year, I'd hazard that 70% of the 100 most experienced HEC players will be Irish.

Still hasn't done them any good on the international stage though!

Flat-top (IP Logged)
02 May, 2012 14:48
But the AP squads are also full of Internationals and for a good few very experienced HCup experienced players (I agree not all).

If the debate were about how a specific relatively inexperienced team in the AP teams has not done well in the HCup there might be some basis but not one single AP team progressed to a semi-final in either European comp, that includes the best, and very experienced, the AP have to offer.

DB, are you seriously saying that the squad at Ulster is stronger then Tigers, Saracens, Quins, and that it is because they play in Europe every year that they are advantaged? Remember the experience you are suggesting they get over and above the AP each season in the HCup is simply by playing against a French team, I can't agree that the previous HCup campaigns or the lack of them are the reason for AP failure this season.

mOrris hits nail on head in his post above, 'boring rugby with no flair in attack'.

SUFTUM

Dorset Boy (IP Logged)
02 May, 2012 15:11
Well F-T - you thumped Tigers at home and didn't do too badly away, and have thumped them at home before!

The experience isn't the only factor or reason, but only one English side has competed in every HEC campaign, whereas Ulster, Munster & Leinster have competed in every single one. The experience of playing overseas in a hostile environment does make a difference, but isn't the only reason.

I think most would agree that the standard of the AP has been very poor this season, and that is a big factor in no English semi finalists - especially in the Amlin which English teams have dominated over the years.

It doesn't help when the current English champions play probably the most boring rugby in the AP.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net