rugbyunion
Latest News:

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Re: Gary Gold to Bath???????
marshie10 (IP Logged)
03 May, 2012 21:52
Are you sure you don't mean Neal Hatley...?

m0rris (IP Logged)
03 May, 2012 22:51
Out of interest what have you picked up off the grapevine Marshie?

I'm hoping we get Gold, he looks to be the man who can provide us with a solid pack which is something we've missed for years. Combined with a decent attack coach we should be there or there abouts.

comedowner (IP Logged)
04 May, 2012 00:55
Don't expect a quick fix with Coaches,I've heard there are deep deep problems, top 8 next year and we would have done well

Go on my sonner (IP Logged)
04 May, 2012 01:08
What with coaches who do not wish to work together?

comedowner (IP Logged)
04 May, 2012 01:31
I think you are all barking up the wrong tree

Bri (IP Logged)
04 May, 2012 06:19
Head coach,Martin Johnson,attack coach Jason Robinson,Backs coach Graham Roundtree defence coach Brad Davis.

Beer Belly (IP Logged)
04 May, 2012 09:05
Gold and Ford "anticipated to be announced" after the Tiggers game according to The Times.

Just saying!

http://i794.photobucket.com/albums/yy221/bathbeerbelly_photos/beerbelly.jpg

http://i794.photobucket.com/albums/yy221/bathbeerbelly_photos/Roko701-1.jpg
Beer Belly's new adoptee for the 2012/13 season.

Welcome to The Rec - officially!

Cheers! (Sm63)

Bod (IP Logged)
04 May, 2012 09:42
Quote:
comedowner
Don't expect a quick fix with Coaches,I've heard there are deep deep problems, top 8 next year and we would have done well

Deep deep problems with who/what/where?

The squad has the all singing and dancing Farleigh to train and condition away at, and stay out of sight of the oiks - I guess they get paid on a regular basis and they will be benefiting from new coaches to brighten up their schedules.

I should hope the feckers will be out of the blocks sharpish come the new season having bonded/gelled/coalesced/merged as one/unified etc ad nauseum during the pre season.

Please illuminate my ignorance on this expectation!

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_dOg4Ljp3kh8/Sf89bRrqecI/AAAAAAAAAJY/eJCF1kt4b0E/s200/DON%27T-SHOOT-THE-MESSENGER1.jpg

Sir Redneck (IP Logged)
04 May, 2012 09:50
Backs coack Rowntree???

Bri, are you sure???!!!!!

He was a loosey and coaches the scrum as far as I know!!!

Humpo (IP Logged)
04 May, 2012 09:54
Quote:
Sir Redneck
Backs coack Rowntree???
Bri, are you sure???!!!!!

He was a loosey and coaches the scrum as far as I know!!!

Yet, depressingly, would probably bring more imagination and spark to our backline that we've seen all year!

Weeksie (IP Logged)
04 May, 2012 11:41
From what I have heard the following istrue:

Head coach: Gold

Forwards: Hatley ( mate of Gold's)

Attack: Ford

Defence: Brad

Catty wanted the attack job but Gold wanted his people.

Ford is not a popular choice amongst the players.

OutsideBath (IP Logged)
04 May, 2012 11:49
Isn't Ford a defence coach?

Weeksie (IP Logged)
04 May, 2012 11:51
That's what you'd think- i hope things have been lost in translation! Have also heard that Kyle Eastmond when fit will be incredible!

Tall Paul (IP Logged)
04 May, 2012 11:51
I THINK Ford and Brad used to play League together but unsure what Ford is like as an attack coach. Can anyone enlighten me? Still with 2 forwards coaches and two (by trade if not official position) defensive coaches we shouldn't let in many tries next year!

Matt Garvey- proudly adopted for 2017-18

dr.bath1865 (IP Logged)
04 May, 2012 11:56
I know some on here have questioned his credentials as a coach but I think that set up is missing Catty. Or someone like him - Ashton, Meehan perhaps. where's the tries, the fun, the jazz?

FairShout (IP Logged)
04 May, 2012 12:04
Not only have I heard that Kyle is the real deal in training etc but the mini glimpse we saw recently makes me believe or want to believe that he might be one of the bright sparks to ignite our backs...all we need is just a little tweek of an other spark to create fireworks...ok its nice to dream

Re Coaches.

Not convinced on Ford...but he might just have more motivation to prove himself than any coach in world rugby and Bath Rugby Club can be that platform. So if true I think we should back him, as long as he doesn't duplicate the excellent work that our one decent coach already does (Brad)

Hatley might just give the youngsters more of a chance, as he has years of experience and is Head of academy down the M4. Also he has hard knowledge of the dark arts as a forwards coach

Gold...it seems to everyone he is a shoe in..lets hope he can do miracles but if he can get Newcastle playing like a team, then he has far more opportunity with us, as I think our squad are far far better individual rugby players than some believe, most just DID NOT PLAY to their full potential and play as a team. Can Gold make them into Champions...?

DanWiley (IP Logged)
04 May, 2012 12:05
Only watched the Wasps game last night, from what little I saw of Kyle it looked like he scared their defense when he got the ball in a way I've not really seen since Jason Robinson.

Also watching that game we haven't got the breakdown right all season. We weren't committing men to it and we were getting turned over and penalized. We have a good defense because being turned over is no disaster, because people aren't committed to the attack. Which explains why our attack has been so poor, and our defense so good.

My concern is either a new attack coach will come in, get his way, and our defense will suffer. Or he won't get his way and our attack will remain toothless. Hopefully there will be a head coach who can get the both of best, or at least a compromise.

devizes bath fan (IP Logged)
04 May, 2012 12:06
God, I hope Weeksie is incorrect. We've had major problems in attack so lets get a defence coach who hasn't played Union.

comedowner (IP Logged)
04 May, 2012 12:16
Barking up the wrong tree guys

Bath Fan Jack (IP Logged)
04 May, 2012 12:19
So which tree should we be barking up......?

Griff (IP Logged)
04 May, 2012 12:19
Quote:
comedowner
Barking up the wrong tree guys

Care to bark us up the righ tree?

David Sisi Adopted player 2016/17

"You're going to need a bigger boat"

ziderman (IP Logged)
04 May, 2012 12:34
Come on comedowner what's so bad ... give us a clue? Not fair to make a statement like your earlier one and keep schtum. (Sm20)

CountryMike (IP Logged)
04 May, 2012 12:37
I've got a great idea!!!! Why don't we all wait until the club announce it instead of guessing and waving appendages in everyone's face?

04 May, 2012 12:39
Is it a deffo that Hatley is coming?? I havent heard him leaving Irish and I didnt know he was a forwards coach personally Id like Mark Bakewell shame he left in the way he did

devizes bath fan (IP Logged)
04 May, 2012 12:40
I like having appendages waved in my face.

04 May, 2012 12:45
Who actually gets the final say if Mike Ford comes in then? And I can believe that hes not a popular choice with the players as well

CountryMike (IP Logged)
04 May, 2012 12:48
Quote:
Devizes Bath Fan
I like having appendages waved in my face.

My apologies, please carry on (Sm49)

Bod (IP Logged)
04 May, 2012 12:59
Quote:
bathfanstuckinhighwycombe
hes not a popular choice with the players as well

Excellent - the coaches are there to improve their charges' game and introduce a certain ethos, not run a fellowship club or expand their Facebook pokes!

Which players are upset and why?

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_dOg4Ljp3kh8/Sf89bRrqecI/AAAAAAAAAJY/eJCF1kt4b0E/s200/DON%27T-SHOOT-THE-MESSENGER1.jpg

Puxonian (IP Logged)
04 May, 2012 13:04
Quote:
Weeksie

If this is how it plays out I would expect Brad to take the attack brief as that's what he's (at least in part) been doing this season, and Ford will take defence as that is what he does. Don't think he's ever been an attack coach

mines a black rat (IP Logged)
04 May, 2012 13:14
The balance does not seem right on Weeksies list. If you were to replace Ford with an attack coach like King from CA or Ashton, Meehan I would be really excited about gnarled forwards and expansive play.

Have you found the Black Rat?? I have!!

http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/x373/minesablackrat/Blackrat.jpg

@Hydor18 (IP Logged)
04 May, 2012 13:17
Quote:
Ex-Bod
Quote:
bathfanstuckinhighwycombe
hes not a popular choice with the players as well

Excellent - the coaches are there to improve their charges' game and introduce a certain ethos, not run a fellowship club or expand their Facebook pokes!

Which players are upset and why?

Absolutely right. Coaching is not about winning popularity contests, it's about winning. Respect is more important than like, in my book.

I also hope Gold will have the strength of character to tell Bruce and Nick to butt out of rugby affairs, which he seems to have done in declining Catty's services in favour of his own.

WestonDave (IP Logged)
04 May, 2012 13:25
Depends whether he's not a popular choice because he's not liked or because they think he's not up to the job!

I buy the point that whoever is in charge should be left to get on with it, but if Gold's judgement is that Ford is likely to be a better attack coach than others available - e.g. Catt, then I'm not so convinced I want to put total reliance on Gold's judgement.

That said, Gold and Ford have a team playing this weekend that needs to put 4 tries on Wasps to stay in the AP. They simply won't do that by playing 10 man rugby, so we'll have some hints as to how they might work at Bath in terms of creating a decent style of play.

Weeksie (IP Logged)
04 May, 2012 13:27
I agree that the balance does not seem right and was surprised when I heard it.

04 May, 2012 14:14
I dont know which players dont like Mike Ford I was just agreeing with somebody else who said it after the failure he was part of at the world cup
Id personally like Gold, Catty, Bakewell and Davis to form a coaching team but from what everybodys saying its not going to happen
But I will support whoever comes in and support them 100%

Puxonian (IP Logged)
04 May, 2012 14:18
Quote:
Weeksie

Substitute Ford with Ashton and there could be the makings of a half decent team there

FairShout (IP Logged)
04 May, 2012 14:47
Lets just wait and see who gets appointed and what their role is or is not going to be..

If the rumours are accurate then a combination of Gold/Brad/Hatley and yes Ford, might be interesting as one or two of them, don't suffer fools gladly and will demand TOTAL COMMITMENT from the players.

Re earlier post...I also hope that whoever and whatever the coaching set is, that they have the mandate for sole responsibility for what goes on with the players on the pitch. Then the players of course and even the fans will know whats going on, who is responsible, who is to blame and who can take the plaudits

spud1610 (IP Logged)
04 May, 2012 14:50
Is Cheika out the running then ?

Bod (IP Logged)
04 May, 2012 14:59
Quote:
spud1610
Is Cheika out the running then ?

Western Force or Aukland Blues would be my guess, unless Glaws have some thoughts about him?
Just a guess!

DanWiley (IP Logged)
04 May, 2012 15:03
Gold, King... MacQueen, Diamond ...

Rampant (IP Logged)
04 May, 2012 15:06
Trying to offer a balanced view on Ford as attack coach.

Might not be a bad shout picking someone who is an expert in defensive structures to be a backs coach. They should have a sharp knowledge of what moves and running lines create gap in defensive lines for example.

Im not saying he is the right man, but the theory is there.

Huxster (IP Logged)
04 May, 2012 15:44
FOrd is not a popular choice anywhere and its nothing to do with whether or not he's liked, remember his attitude towards the players at WC 2007 particularly in Interviews.
I'd rather Dean Richards than Ford in fact I'd rather poke out my own eyes with a 6 inch nail than hire Mike Ford, out of the frying pan bypass the fire and hop into an active volcanoe.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v654/Huxster8/Huxster6.jpg

Go on my sonner (IP Logged)
04 May, 2012 15:56
Come on Hux, get off the fence!

FairShout (IP Logged)
04 May, 2012 15:57
I've just read what the Falcons Captain and players think of Gold.....Id be gutted if we don't pull this off and sign him.

Come on Bath please confirm that you have his signature in blood on a long term contract.

As with everyone else...just need convincing on Ford but happy for him to convince!

Bod (IP Logged)
04 May, 2012 17:26
I'm sort of with Hux, not least given our conversations over the years, he's a wise old student of a game style both he and me enjoy - vigorous forwards and inteligent backs.
But, I'd give Brad's mucker from Castleford a run (don't care a dickies if he ain't liked) but, in RL style the backs will need to front up and be accountable, and not hide behind physio sanctioned "niggles".

retired (IP Logged)
04 May, 2012 17:36

callmeMrTibbs (IP Logged)
04 May, 2012 17:58
Thank God (or Old Egg Chaser) for a bit of balance. Some of the anti-Ford vitriol was becoming absurd.

ballsout (IP Logged)
04 May, 2012 18:20
Ford is quality. I'm more concerned about trying to shoehorn him and Brad in. Smacks of compromise but we'll obviously see and await the full announcement.

gloucesterwatcher (IP Logged)
04 May, 2012 19:03
Whoever comes I will support.
My instinct is with Hux on the F word, maybe the Farleigh blend needs an enema. Mondays are going to be fun days?
Hope Gold can fix the breakdown, offensively and defence, restarts, lineout, scrum etc etc.
Most of all, hope against instinct, Bath can play without fear, back to the F word?

K9sixtwo (IP Logged)
04 May, 2012 19:19
I'm hoping whoever it is Knows they have the job, then they will have done their homework and know who needs to be off, or which positions they would like to see upgraded, so it fits theor playing style, then when the season finishes for us, we can announce the new king.. Then the horse trading for players can start..
And whoever it is they will have my full support..

WestonDave (IP Logged)
04 May, 2012 19:51
Gopperth's comments in that article don't really take us forward. We all know Ford is a defence coach, maybe now we know he can get on with players - however there is no evidence in Falcons play since Ford came in, nor in ours under Brad, that either of them are best placed to put out an attacking side. As I said, we'll find out more tomorrow when Falcons have to score tries to survive - if they can do it against a Wasps side that just has to keep the margin down then he'll have done well.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net