rugbyunion
Latest News:

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Re: Gary Gold to Bath???????
hasta (IP Logged)
04 May, 2012 20:21
We've just spent a season without an attack coach, which everyone has admitted was a total screw up. Would they really fix this by appointing a defence coach to attack? That just seems monumentally idiotic.

TCM2007 (IP Logged)
04 May, 2012 20:28
Quote:
The England playing record since Mike Ford became the defence coach is; Played 58, Won 27, Lost 30, Drawn 1, Against 3N, Played 22, Won 4, Lost 18 Against all comers an average of 22 points conceded per game, against 3N, 31 points per game

Little more needs saying does it?

The one bit of our game that doesn't need fixing is the defence.

This rumour make no sense at all.

Stuart

Former ed.

ballsout (IP Logged)
04 May, 2012 20:39
And yet England regularly had the best defence in Europe under Ford. He made England extremely tough to score against, just as he's done for Newcastle.

As for those skewed stats (stats, from you Stuart, surely not) it begs the question how many points the 3N teams score against each other. I'd hazard a guess at 20-30 points. And they're the best teams in the world.

Puxonian (IP Logged)
04 May, 2012 20:44
I think we may have been here before

Blocks2u (IP Logged)
04 May, 2012 21:03
If Ford is coming we can only draw the conclusion that either he or Brad have convinced BC2 that they can be the attack coach. (Sm105)

Ian

TCM2007 (IP Logged)
04 May, 2012 21:04
How are they skewed ballsout?

Since you ask, the points conceded records vs 3N teams are:

SA 25pts
Aus 24pts
NZ 19pts
Eng 31pts

Stuart

Former ed.

hasta (IP Logged)
04 May, 2012 22:07
Ford made England so difficult to beat that they, errr, lost over half the matches they played under him. It's the same rubbish excuse they rolled out after that Worsley/Wales game - 'Worsley had a great defensive game and Wales only just won!' Yes, but England still lost! And if you set your entire game plan out to be 'stop the other team winning' and still lose then you should be rightfully turfed out on your ear.

I don't think Ford is that bad a defence coach. What he isn't is an attack coach. Neither is Brad. Ideally we keep Brad, don't bring in Ford and get an attack coach, but I' rather lose Brad and bring in an attack coach than end up with both Brad and Ford.

ballsout (IP Logged)
04 May, 2012 22:16
Quote:
Ford made England so difficult to beat that they, errr, lost over half the matches they played under him.

I didn't say beat, I said score against. Point your finger at England's attacking game and/or lack of discipline as the main culprit for those losses. England's defence has been very solid for years.

Huxster (IP Logged)
04 May, 2012 22:30
I think Englands attacking play was stiffled by having such defensive centres, Noon and Tindal anyone!!?? defensively solid attacking wise they were abject, also the game plan was designed to keep the scores down by negative play, the amount of penalties they conceded may have not given away tries but the score positively rattled along.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v654/Huxster8/Huxster6.jpg

Substitute (IP Logged)
04 May, 2012 22:51
I don't remember the source for this, so it mught be wise to take it with a pinch of salt, but I read that over the last 5 years England had conceded the fewest tries of any top 10 nation but conceded more penalties than any side.

The indication was that the balance was wrong. It would have been better to cut out the penalties even at the risk at a few more tries being scored against England. You can't look at defence in isolation as just tries scored against...

In a way it makes me think about Bath the current season.

ballsout (IP Logged)
04 May, 2012 23:37
Quote:
I read that over the last 5 years England had conceded the fewest tries of any top 10 nation but conceded more penalties than any side.

That sounds about right, although the discipline issue seems to have been a bit up and down in recent years. Same as England's attacking play.

@Hydor18 (IP Logged)
05 May, 2012 06:47
Quote:
ballsout
Quote:
I read that over the last 5 years England had conceded the fewest tries of any top 10 nation but conceded more penalties than any side.

That sounds about right, although the discipline issue seems to have been a bit up and down in recent years. Same as England's attacking play.

He's going to fit in perfectly then!

Gareth Redux (IP Logged)
05 May, 2012 07:09
Giving away the odd penalty to stop a try is canny defence. Giving away the sheer volume of penalties England did under Ford is stupid defence.

Bod (IP Logged)
05 May, 2012 08:55
Quote:
Gareth Redux
Giving away the odd penalty to stop a try is canny defence. Giving away the sheer volume of penalties England did under Ford is stupid defence.

The propensity to repeatedly concede dull penalties and the inability to work out how to crack a defence are determined by what?

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_dOg4Ljp3kh8/Sf89bRrqecI/AAAAAAAAAJY/eJCF1kt4b0E/s200/DON%27T-SHOOT-THE-MESSENGER1.jpg

CoochieCoo (IP Logged)
05 May, 2012 09:10
Top three inches and strong leadership on the pitch.

http://zdgzqa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1p7Mwi7pLXeM89TY2KFdDQ-UUDGSv1FKNdhYdrW-koAuRN3tsqCPfE3onFxuO-3cZ0057Tom1uJai3vjkz3dvY_Q/1998%20Euro%20Champs.jpg http://zdgzqa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pFul9UAV5zEXOzeRc1kmmlgDKXTYTIlTnGoQzYelH6KzdCeU-exN0IGo74QN2OGvlSoEiVjzAESvHx9BFlBsNFA/Bath%202008.jpg

Gareth Redux (IP Logged)
05 May, 2012 09:11
plus rank coaching.

Blocks2u (IP Logged)
05 May, 2012 09:39
Didn't someone post recently that the penalty count against Bath was high, try defence is top class but at the expense of penalties, it will all be familiar to an ex-England coach.

Ian

retired (IP Logged)
05 May, 2012 19:55
Looks like Gold and Hatley according to some tweets, not sure about Ford.
Hatley confirms he has left LI and looking forward to next chapter.

TCM2007 (IP Logged)
05 May, 2012 19:59
All three according to reports today, but not convinced they're not just repeating earlier rumours.

Stuart

Former ed.

B4thB4ck (IP Logged)
05 May, 2012 21:02
It occurred to me earlier today that the reason I wasn't excited about the prospect of a Tiggers v Bath game was that unlike previous seasons where I felt we could beat anyone on our day, this season has been so short of exciting back play that the result, despite undoubted effort from the players, seemed inevitable.

That sums up why we need an attack coach.

No square pegs in round holes please.

Bri (IP Logged)
05 May, 2012 21:04
Well the main contenders appear to be Gold,Delaney,Hatley,Ford and Brad.I quess well know early next week.

annie blackthorn (IP Logged)
05 May, 2012 21:20
If you think that Bri. Go ahead.
I am not going to hold my breath for a possible announcement next week. Mny a slip and all that between the bottom lineintention, and signing on the dotted line with all clauses agreed, as we have seen all too often in the past with contracts.

More likely to be nearer June imho.

Adoptee for 2017/18 James Phillips - newly arrived and bringing a wealth of experience in the Prem!

FourSticks (IP Logged)
05 May, 2012 21:54
Annie

The only thing nearer to June was Terry.

retired (IP Logged)
05 May, 2012 22:13
"Nick Blofeld refused to be drawn on the identity of the new coaching team set to be announced next week" from the offey 4th May

"Nick also confirmed that an individual to coordinate recruitment ...... would also be appointed soon, .... aim being to home grow' future first-teamers from the Club's RFU-given catchment area of Somerset, Dorset and Wiltshire, supplemented only as far as was as necessary by players from around the world." Hatley maybe??

ballsout (IP Logged)
05 May, 2012 22:59
It'll be this week. Hatley is definitely on the way with I assume Gold.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/2012 22:59 by ballsout.

SimonW (IP Logged)
06 May, 2012 07:09
Hats in tears for all to see after the game yesterday - very sad to see him leave. Brian did a Q & A session after the match - wouldn't be drawn on the Hats situation but said he would always push coaches to take the oppertunity's when they come along & as with Mike LI would never stand in thier way-some running joke with Mike about him (BS) keeping the backs coaching seat with Eng warm for him.

gaz909 (IP Logged)
06 May, 2012 08:43
gareth, the canniness is where you concede the penalty as much as how often

Bri (IP Logged)
06 May, 2012 09:01
Rugby Paper says it's Gold and he wanted Booth but he was out of our budget ,so we have Hartley as second choice?

ballsout (IP Logged)
06 May, 2012 10:13
Booth would have been head coach. Hatley will be forwards coach.

Cantabrian (IP Logged)
06 May, 2012 12:21
Falcons fan here, forgive me butting in. If you do appoint Gary Gold as head coach, I have no doubt Bath will be winning things before long.

He has transformed Newcastle in a little over three months. With Bath's resources and traditions, I'm certain he will prove a winner. Not only has he shown himself to be an honest, hard-headed motivator and tactician for us, but he is articulate and good with the media. He is a class act and a good guy.

06 May, 2012 12:25
Nothing to forgive - thanks for your contribution - how you feeling after y'day?

Bath Fan (IP Logged)
06 May, 2012 13:54
If Hatley comes, will this mean changes for the academy - or are changes expected regardless?

Blocks2u (IP Logged)
06 May, 2012 14:09
Quote:
Bath Fan
If Hatley comes, will this mean changes for the academy - or are changes expected regardless?

Why are you assuming he will have anything to do with the academy?

Ian

marshie10 (IP Logged)
06 May, 2012 14:23
Booth was not too expensive, he wasn't good enough. He was never coming.

Bri (IP Logged)
06 May, 2012 14:32
Rugby paper said he was Golds requested coach but Bath never had enough in their budget for him?

TCM2007 (IP Logged)
06 May, 2012 14:33
Rugby Paper is right what % of the time?

Stuart

Former ed.

Bri (IP Logged)
06 May, 2012 14:38
[quote TCM2007]Rugby Paper is right what % of the time?[/quote

Yes I agree but how or why did we come up with a Academy manager with no coaching experience and on top of that two defence coaches and if we believe Combedowner a championship coach as a scout/academy

marshie10 (IP Logged)
06 May, 2012 14:44
Neal Hatley is not just the academy manager at Irish, he's always on the touchline for the first team games. Hatley is massively rated at Irish.

Bri (IP Logged)
06 May, 2012 14:46
He is Academy Manager / messenger on match days.

Bod (IP Logged)
06 May, 2012 14:46
We did "massively rated" last time!

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_dOg4Ljp3kh8/Sf89bRrqecI/AAAAAAAAAJY/eJCF1kt4b0E/s200/DON%27T-SHOOT-THE-MESSENGER1.jpg

Bath Fan (IP Logged)
06 May, 2012 15:28
So - back to my earlier question - are we anticipating any changes to our academy set up or do you all think it will be business as usual for DG, Butler, JP?

Bri (IP Logged)
06 May, 2012 15:30
Hartley is supposed to be coming in as forwards coach or scrum coach?

Bath Fan (IP Logged)
06 May, 2012 15:35
Is that a 'no' then Brian or a 'I don't know' or a 'I'm saying nothing'?

Bri (IP Logged)
06 May, 2012 15:41
Personally I hope not,Danny appears to have added a bit of edge to the youngsters and he's a great figure head for the club and Academy.Frank Butler is well respected wherever you go and John Palmer is a great coach who has been at the club a long time and is Bath and what a wonderful player.
Will their be changes?

ballsout (IP Logged)
06 May, 2012 15:44
How many times Bri, he's coming as a FORWARDS COACH. Also, it's Hatley, not Hartley.

Bri (IP Logged)
06 May, 2012 15:45
Yes,so I've heard.

Bath Fan (IP Logged)
06 May, 2012 15:51
From previous posts Bri, you seem to know the academy boys well. Are you able to say how you are so close to them?

Bri (IP Logged)
06 May, 2012 15:59
Just watching junior rugby,Only missed a couple of united games away in ten years.oh and I take time to chat to them,follow their careers when the sign for Bath,Go to Age grade games when local,watched World cup junior final and a few group games,so I suppose love of the game and effort.

Bri (IP Logged)
06 May, 2012 16:02
Hatley has tweeted sad to be leaving,Smith as said he's not going to be a academy manager forever,Irish fans are sorry to lose him,from Irish site.

Bath Fan (IP Logged)
06 May, 2012 16:14
Our academy has been very successful while Frank and JP have been involved. DG adds a dynamism which has shone through this year with the guys - and the club has been brave enough to play the very youngest players in United sides. They have often done better than the forums expected which shows the confidence DG and JP have in them

Good first XV players for the future let's hope.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net