rugbyunion
Latest News:

O/T Single Ticket to Jupiter Please...
B4thB4ck (IP Logged)
02 May, 2012 18:38
That'll be 1 Billion Euros please sir.....

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Not sure this is a clever spend of money with the European economies as they are. I'm a fan of science and engineering but this will only provide a tiny amount of niche jobs and services, just to prove a few theories on ice and gas??

I'm assuming here that the ESA is funded publicly, happy to be corrected...?

Yes, I know, the price of space travel has rocketed.

(Sm132)

Re: O/T Single Ticket to Jupiter Please...
Mike the Taxi (IP Logged)
02 May, 2012 21:01
Raleigh, Drake and Columbus had similar difficulties getting funding.(Sm34)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2012 21:02 by Mike the Taxi.

B4thB4ck (IP Logged)
02 May, 2012 21:34
No problems with funding it seems, unlike some essential services I could mention...

Mike the Taxi (IP Logged)
02 May, 2012 21:41
Looking at the proposed take-off date, though, it looks like the money is going to be spread over quite a number of years?

B4thB4ck (IP Logged)
02 May, 2012 22:18
Yes, you're right and I did notice that so I looked up the European Space Agency on Wiki and the budget for 2012 is 4.02 billion Euros so it's still not really loose change found down the sofa.

The UK contribution is 240 million Euros for 2012.

At least Raleigh, Drake and Columbus were on a mission of discovery to improve our world, this seems to be about checking a theory about ice and gas content on a lump of rock 8 light years away. I don't see the benefit myself, despite being an engineer.

Whereas, if Europe spent that 4.02 billion on the other 99.99% who aren't space scientists and put back the mission for just one year..... or 2... that's a serious amount of money and a lot of good could be done with it.

hasta (IP Logged)
02 May, 2012 22:41
[quote]At least Raleigh, Drake and Columbus were on a mission of discovery to improve our world[/quote}

Please. A mission of bored people to find a shortcut for spice trading to get more money for already rich people that was ignorant and failed.

Whatever the relative merits of the space program are, comparison of an organised, scientific expedition with a bunch of toffs en route to get some saffron quicker is harsh.

DanWiley (IP Logged)
02 May, 2012 22:57
I work in the space industry, so probably not as rare as you might think.

TCM2007 (IP Logged)
02 May, 2012 23:07
A billion euros over the next 21 years, and it will be another two before they even agree to start on it. Everything will be fine by then!

ESA does a load of stuff, not just this one probe.

I always feel slightly disappointed that we seem to have peaked when it comes to grand exploration projects. At least I can remember when we were still able to send men to the moon.

Stuart

Former ed.

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net