19. Will Spencer
20. Guy Mercer
21. Mark McMillan
22. Sam Vesty
23. Kyle Eastmon

Re: Teams up...
Tall Paul (IP Logged)
04 May, 2012 12:02
Good to see some of the young guys get a run out. Hopefully Kyle will get some decent game time this week. Is Tom still injured?

Matt Garvey- proudly adopted for 2017-18

joehousewife (IP Logged)
04 May, 2012 12:07
No swansong for Carraro : (

callmeMrTibbs (IP Logged)
04 May, 2012 12:09
Leicester Tigers (v Bath Rugby, Welford Road, Saturday 2pm)
15 Geordan Murphy (c)
14 Horacio Agulla
13 Manusamoa Tuilagi
12 Anthony Allen
11 Alesana Tuilagi
10 Toby Flood
9 Ben Youngs
1 Marcos Ayerza
2 George Chuter
3 Martin Castrogiovanni
4 George Skivington
5 Geoff Parling
6 Steve Mafi
7 Julian Salvi
8 Thomas Waldrom

Replacements
16 Tom Youngs
17 Logovi'i Mulipola
18 Dan Cole
19 Craig Newby
20 Calum Green
21 Sam Harrison
22 Billy Twelvetrees
23 Scott Hamilton

Sam Y (IP Logged)
04 May, 2012 12:09
Would of started Eastmond instead of Woodburn and why do they keep picking Banahan in the centers?

callmeMrTibbs (IP Logged)
04 May, 2012 12:11
Quote:
Sam Y
Would of started Eastmond instead of Woodburn and why do they keep picking Banahan in the centers?

Because whoever's there will have Tuilagi coming at him?

joehousewife (IP Logged)
04 May, 2012 12:13
Oh god I feel a smashing coming on...

Humpo (IP Logged)
04 May, 2012 12:13
Sensible with Banners in the centre, purely on a defensive point of view.

Woodburn is going to have a long afternoon against Alesana.

Miles Offside (IP Logged)
04 May, 2012 12:17
Picking my best XV from those I'd have to take 6 Bath players and 9 Leicester - not a foolproof measure but an ominous one.

Still, I was heartened by the 2nd half v Wasps, so

Bath by 4!

Keep the faith!

(Sm109)

04 May, 2012 12:19
Excuse my language but we are going to get fookin mullered the way the Tigers are playing they are going to stick 40 points on us
Id be surprised if we score more 1 try and a couple of penaltys if Im honest but hey ho come on u Bath boys!!

joehousewife (IP Logged)
04 May, 2012 12:21
Crumbs MO who are yr 6?
Bendy?,Biggs?,Mears?, Attwood? I'm stuck...

Old Bathonian (IP Logged)
04 May, 2012 12:21
Quote:
Miles Offside
Picking my best XV from those I'd have to take 6 Bath players and 9 Leicester - not a foolproof measure but an ominous one.
Still, I was heartened by the 2nd half v Wasps, so

Bath by 4!

Keep the faith!

(Sm109)

Well I can see an arguement for 2 ( NA & LM ) who are the others?

Also just compare then benches! I think we are in for a long afternoo.....

Peasedown Exile (IP Logged)
04 May, 2012 12:31
Tigger 55 Bath 24 sad smiley

http://i46.tinypic.com/p3b4x.jpghttp://i47.tinypic.com/3354bvb.jpg

ballsout (IP Logged)
04 May, 2012 12:32
Mearsy would get into the Tigers team, apart from that.......

Gussieboy (IP Logged)
04 May, 2012 12:33
It may be that Carraro is injured, and as Hipkiss is, I guess coupled with the Tuilagi threat, and you have your answer as to why Bannahan is in the centre. Afraid I don't fancy our chances in this!

Humpo (IP Logged)
04 May, 2012 12:34
Leic & Bath XV

Catt
Mears
Castro
Attwood
Skivington
Mafi
Salvi
Fearns
Youngs
Flood
Biggs
Allen
Manu Tuilagi
Alesana Tuilagi
Bendy

Maybe I'm being a tad generous to the BBW in the front row...

WHAT a team by the way!

DA Bath (IP Logged)
04 May, 2012 12:39
MO go for the best English 15 from the starting line-ups, much more encouraging!

Catt
Mears
Wilson
Attwood
Parling
Ovens
Fearns
Waldrom!
Youngs
Flood
Biggs
Allen
Tuilagi
Banahan
Abendanon

PhilHallFan (IP Logged)
04 May, 2012 12:39
Well I make it 364 caps vs 199 in the respective starting XVs. Amazing what you can do within the salary cap.

fat lock (IP Logged)
04 May, 2012 12:41
My combination 23 would have Mears in the starting 15 with Chuter moving to bench.

Probably have Fearns on the bench with Classens and maybe Donald, Biggs & Attwood - but otherwise it's Tigers all the way.

If we ever needed a real exposure of the gulf between us and the best it's those two teams. All the coaching in the world, restored historic houses, and kind words to the fans can't make up for the huge discrepancy in quality.

As we all know it is possible for a team to be better than the sum of it's parts (well done Exeter) but that's hardly our strength this season. Unless they play like we've never seen before this is going to be painful.

Sam Y (IP Logged)
04 May, 2012 13:01
Gussieboy, if Carraro & Hipkiss are injured move Banahan to the wing where he should be anyway, and put Williams in at 13?

Puxonian (IP Logged)
04 May, 2012 13:14
6 Steve Mafi
7 Julian Salvi
8 Thomas Waldrom

I'm not by nature a Cassandra but that is an awesome back row

TCM2007 (IP Logged)
04 May, 2012 13:20
fat lock - how much of that is that we see those Leicester players playing well in a winning team, while ours...

I wonder if there's that big a gulf in inherent quality. There may be, but I bet it's not as big as it looks.

Stuart

Former ed.

PhilHallFan (IP Logged)
04 May, 2012 13:36
And to illustrate the gap further in the starting front rows it's 143 caps to our 58 and they have Dan Cole on the bench!

DanWiley (IP Logged)
04 May, 2012 14:01
It's a great back row for the AP, three reasonably well balanced players all just below international class. We had the same with Beattie, Lippy and Zak and I don't think we're too far away with Ferns, Louw and Taylor.

Susanne (IP Logged)
04 May, 2012 14:05
Quote:
Gussieboy
Afraid I don't fancy our chances in this!

So I take it you won't be nipping out fora pint of milk on Saturday and accidentally finding yourself in Leicester then?

http://i63.tinypic.com/34hhulf.jpg
Proud to adopt one of our stars of the future

Puxonian (IP Logged)
04 May, 2012 14:07
Quote:
DanWiley
It's a great back row for the AP, three reasonably well balanced players all just below international class. We had the same with Beattie, Lippy and Zak and I don't think we're too far away with Ferns, Louw and Taylor.

Individually I'd agree, but how the two BR's perform as a unit could be the difference

joehousewife (IP Logged)
04 May, 2012 14:14
Or Fearns at 8, Louw and Ovens...

04 May, 2012 14:17
Beattie, Lippy and Zak was a brilliant back row and in front of them was even better with Borthers and Grewy those were the days... Though I thought the back row of Beattie, Lippy and Daniel Browne was pretty good too

BBWinDublin (IP Logged)
04 May, 2012 14:17
Fearns and Louw are better than Beattie and Lipman were. But Zak is one player who we've never been able to replace.

joehousewife (IP Logged)
04 May, 2012 14:30
I agree, as much as I enjoy Taylors Defensive play, his workrate and Experience. A big bullocking South sea islander of a marauding 8 would be right at the top of my wish list.
And would pretty much instantly turn our back row into real contenders.

dr.bath1865 (IP Logged)
04 May, 2012 14:42
It was interesting to see that Barkley, amongst others, was surprised that Taylor wasn't given the player of the year award. I think he is a fantastic 8 and I would guess that his tackles, carries, rucks hit etc (his "involvements") are consistently amongst the highest.

Taylor, Fearns and Louw is a brilliant back row. We just need them all fit!

joehousewife (IP Logged)
04 May, 2012 14:55
Are his carries big enough do you think Dr?

fat lock (IP Logged)
04 May, 2012 15:02
Stuart
Good point - players always look good in a winning team.
Hopefully next season we can see how opinions have changed.

Having said that, I still think we're going to be spanked this weekend.

Go on my sonner (IP Logged)
04 May, 2012 15:18
So do most punters on the prediction league sadly FL!

Bathovalballer (IP Logged)
04 May, 2012 15:25
I will refrain from predicting the score but say that our guys need all the luck, huge amounts of courage and spirit, fantastic support and the ref on our side - to even come second!!!

I wish the players well and all Bath sides have my undying support. However, lets be realistic and when I see the Leicester bench, well they would mostly make our first team with ease. Lets hope the break in play has ruined the Tigers continuity and togetherness. I hope the game is played in appalling conditions with a howling wind, yet I look at our pack with Skivs in the second row and fear for our front row! Any back row will play well when not having to shore up a weak front 5 and the Tigers are blessed with one of the best units in the country!

The Tigers are taking this seriously and we have to stop them scoring for at least 40 minutes then we may have a chance as long as Olly can find his kicking boots. That is the best we can expect to get a win, and guys we can forget a WBP.

Go Bath and please please please prove me so very wrong!!!!

P G Tips (IP Logged)
04 May, 2012 17:09
Very pleased to see Mears as capt.

PG

dr.bath1865 (IP Logged)
04 May, 2012 17:25
I know what you mean Joe but I think if partnered with Fearns in the backrow and Attwood and Caldwell in the row then there is enough fire power there. I'd be more worried with the lack of effective carries our props make per game then the carrying of Taylor.

PhilHallFan (IP Logged)
04 May, 2012 19:21
It's a pity tomorrow's matches won't decide this year's champion. That would be exciting with three sides in with a chance. But the final table does go into the record books - just check out the Premiership website for any reference to previous play-offs! - and I'm sure Leicester will want to come top. If we can stop them scoring a bonus point we might be able to prevent that.

@Hydor18 (IP Logged)
04 May, 2012 20:37
Spot on Joe. That big unit from Edinburgh would do.

FourSticks (IP Logged)
04 May, 2012 20:56
The lowest part of this season (actually, for many seasons) was losing to the Leicester Seconds at the Rec (AT THE REC!!!!!).

The boys owe us (and themselves) big time. I hope they all focus on that hurt and use it as a motivator.

Bath by several.

ballsout (IP Logged)
04 May, 2012 21:42
Forget owing us, they owe it to themselves to put that dismal, embarrassing loss to Leicester thirds behind them.

Bathovalballer (IP Logged)
04 May, 2012 22:16
Marshie 10

I glad to see you have come around to my way of percieving the effectiveness of Mr Wilson.

Quote from your message on the Tigers board:

From a Bath supporter - really outstanding preview! You hit the nail on the head with your comments on most players.

I would highlight though that in my opinion McGeechan has taken players like Claassens, Barkley, Banahan and Abendanon backwards since he's been at Bath. Claassens kicks too much, he's at his best when he's quick to the breakdown and distributes the ball immediately. Barkley has become slow and predictable, but I hope that's partly because he still has a metal plate in his leg. Banahan has lost his X-Factor, he just coasts through the 80 minutes almost doing as little as he can. And finally Abendanon has had all of his attacking spark taken out of him by McGeechan.

Donald is not great, and the fact that he's the highest paid player in the league is a travesty. Heathcote has more respect amongst his team mates than Donald does, honestly.

To the forwards, since we lost Mark Bakewell our previous forwards coach, we have gone backwards. Martin Haag (the current forwards coach) may have been a great servant to the club as a player, but he's been a disaster as coach. Flatman was the best scrummaging loosehead in the premiership three years ago, and now he's not, sadly. Davey Wilson has gone backwards since he arrived from Newcastle, and Dave Attwood has arguably failed to re-discover the form that saw Bath treble his salary to move from Gloucester.

Essentially the Bath hierachy have made the right decisions in getting rid of the hugely overrated McGeechan and also getting rid of Haag. Gary Gold and Mike Ford will instill some grit that has been lacking in the pack, and I'm hoping that the Bath backline can break the shackles they've been held back by this season.

I hope for a great game, but sadly I think the Tigers will blow us away. Leicester are an outstanding side and your ability to bring through quality players who no one really knew about is fantastic - players such as Mafi, Munipola and Waldrom to an extent.

Very sadly I still do not rate Mr Wilson and can never understand how he was ever selected for England because on his displays in a Bath shirt, he has been very poor not only in the scrum but around the field especially.

I think Atters will get better and he at least tries and has on occasions looked very goos indeed.

I wholeheartedly agree with what you say about Banners and those who sit around me all say what has taken his drive and commitment away so much that often this season he quite obviously wants to be somewhere else and not on the pitch? And he will only ever be a winger where at his best he can really terrify a defense and never a centre in a million years!

Heathcote is very brave and I personally would stick with him, but Donald has to be given a chance to play behind a pack of forwards going forwards and with the opposition's back row out of the way helping a retreating pack!

Olly Barkley has to regain his speed and confidence or he has to go! He is half the player he was before that terrible injury and I worry will he ever recover his spark and footballing ability. His usual kicking relaibility has also been shot to pieces which is very strange as well as his lack of speed. It is sad when a once great player is struggling but hope that a summer of rest and a good preseason will restore him to full fitness and form. We really do need him firing as without Carraro we do not have a decent centre left.

Claassens is like all scrum halves in that he must be protected by his forwards and all other sides know that if they stop him, they stop Bath playing. He on his day makes the side tick!

Also I am weary of everyone blaming the coaches when it is the players on the field who should be professional enough to know how to turn things around and change things and tactics to suit the playing conditions, oppossition and the state of a game.

I want them all to come good and we return to a top 4 side again but I am very doubtful they can do it, on this season's evidence and even with new coaches!

Please prove me wrong lads and I will be singing your praises from the rooftops!!

annie blackthorn (IP Logged)
04 May, 2012 22:45
I think the two posts above are nearly enough to get me to head for the hills away from ERE. Totally uncalled for BOB. Just the sort of thing the Coaches, staff and players will enjoy reading holed up in their Midlands hotel this evening. What a load of twaddle is I trust the politest comment they will make.

The other goes on the opposition board the eve of the match calling himself a Bath supporter. I can hear the guffaws of mocking gritty Leicestershire mirth from here. Great. NB/BF/DG et al - please note that the next time Marshie bounces up to you in the bar all smiley and sycophantic, remember what and where he has written today.

Adoptee for 2017/18 James Phillips - newly arrived and bringing a wealth of experience in the Prem!

TCM2007 (IP Logged)
04 May, 2012 22:55
What do you object to Annie? Both seem cogently constructed and genuinely held opinions. BOB is a bit harsh on Wilson perhaps, and I don't agree with Marshie on Attwood. But most of the other views seem to be pretty much the consensus on ERE.

Stuart

Former ed.

Bod (IP Logged)
04 May, 2012 23:22
I guess it boils down to a lot of Bath fans feeling they've spent/wasted a lot on money on a pointless season, with a lack lustre team being delivered week after week by an apparently clueless coaching set-up.
Maybe they'll restore our faith in the BB&W tomorrow.
I'd like to swagger around town next week.
Please?

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_dOg4Ljp3kh8/Sf89bRrqecI/AAAAAAAAAJY/eJCF1kt4b0E/s200/DON%27T-SHOOT-THE-MESSENGER1.jpg

K9sixtwo (IP Logged)
04 May, 2012 23:52
Putting that on the tigers board before the game... I'll be there shouting myself hoarse willing the team on for a victory.. Call me delusional but i'm a loyal bath supporter who uses that term Supporter in it's literal meaning.. I will support..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2012 23:59 by K9sixtwo.

marshie10 (IP Logged)
04 May, 2012 23:58
Whenever I see a post from Annie Blackthorn, I either ignore it, vomit, laugh in bemusement, or go and get a bag of salt and lob it over my shoulder.

Annie, I'm pretty sure Bruce and Nick agree with large parts of what I've said otherwise McGeecham and Haag would be staying!

marshie10 (IP Logged)
05 May, 2012 00:03
Don't get me wrong, I support the team enormously - I'm just stating that I feel some players' development has either halted or gone backwards under McGeechan. That's hardly a massive criticism to the players themselves.

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net