rugbyunion
Latest News:

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5
GARY GOLD
RUGBY MAD (IP Logged)
07 May, 2012 12:33
English club Bath are set to unveil the former Springboks' forward coach as their new coaching chief, filling the vacancy created by Sir Ian McGeechan's departure.

Gold, part of the Boks' coaching staff at the Rugby World Cup in New Zealand last year, has spent the last four months trying to keep Newcastle among English rugby's elite.

Asked about his immediate future, Gold said: "I am going home, and I have some options to consider."

Newcastle's fate now rests on the outcome of this season's second-tier Championship title race, which will not be concluded until May 30.

Bristol, London Welsh, Bedford and Cornish Pirates are all contesting silverware, although it is thought only Bristol of that quartet categorically meet Premiership entry criteria.

Premiership Rugby and the Rugby Football Union intend to clarify the situation later this month, but it would appear that if Bristol do not win the Championship crown then Newcastle will survive.

Gold will now hand over the reins at Kingston Park to Dean Richards, whose three-year worldwide coaching ban imposed for his part in the Harlequins Bloodgate saga expires this summer

Re: GARY GOLD
TCM2007 (IP Logged)
07 May, 2012 12:35
Same story as posted elsewhere.

Stuart

Former ed.

RUGBY MAD (IP Logged)
07 May, 2012 12:38
Sorry did not see it. Please i am in SA so it might be old news.

TCM2007 (IP Logged)
07 May, 2012 12:41
In yesterday's papers here.

Stuart

Former ed.

RUGBY MAD (IP Logged)
07 May, 2012 12:42
i see him this week in cape town sure iys him

TCM2007 (IP Logged)
07 May, 2012 12:43
If you see him, ask who is going to be attack coach!

Stuart

Former ed.

Bri (IP Logged)
07 May, 2012 13:47
I have heard it's Tomorrow?

RUGBY MAD (IP Logged)
07 May, 2012 14:08
He is in cape town you think he would be in Bath if he is to be named this week.

Bri (IP Logged)
07 May, 2012 14:09
Why does he need to be here?

RUGBY MAD (IP Logged)
07 May, 2012 14:13
you would think it would be good PR to have a press con and marketing you can better sa press will be all over it.

Bri (IP Logged)
07 May, 2012 14:14
Never happened before,he stated last week he hadn't seen his family for three months and couldn't wait to see them.

RUGBY MAD (IP Logged)
07 May, 2012 14:19
good point just with the mess around bath rugby and coaches i think the fans would of liked to put this to bed b4 summer and buying new season tickets.

Bri (IP Logged)
07 May, 2012 14:23
I would have thought they are all done deals and a announcement is going to happen tomorrow or this week.

07 May, 2012 14:43
The man doesnt need to be here to confirm he can just release a statement from cape town long as some people are confirmed as coaches and new players are added Im happy!

FairShout (IP Logged)
07 May, 2012 15:13
If the highly touted appointment of Mr Gold is about to be confirmed ...and he has gone back to South Africa because he wants to see his family after months apart then great why not?

He can recharge his batteries after his valiant attempt to turn around The Falcons, convince his family that Bath is a great place to live (well that bits easy coz it is) and leave our cEO NB to hold a press conference as he enjoys talking about every aspect of the club...including coaching!!!

I am sure that NB will be the announcer of the new coaches and hopefully he will be crystal clear on who has been appointed to what role and what is the new structure and reporting lines.

I also hope that Mr Gold will stamp his personality on the team and be given the FULL and SOLE responsibility for all playing related matters. It will also be good to know if the expected appointments of "Hats" and Ford were his choices. I hope so...then there will be no politics, no excuses and the players will no ... who is in charge.

With the excellent Brad offering continuity and credibility in delivering one of the best defences in the Prem, We hopefully will go from having 2.5 coaches to a compliment of FOUR FULL TIME coaches, all with a proven track record as players and or coaches.

After the announcements, I hope the Exec leave the coaches alone and let them coach!

Bathbadger (IP Logged)
07 May, 2012 15:17
Gold announces it himself on SA Radio

The South African confirmed on Ballz visual radio that he will now take over from British & Irish Lions coach Sir Ian McGeechan at Bath.

"I'm very excited [about the new job] and I'm taking some good coaches with me as well," Gold told Ballz.

South African coach Neal Hatley has left his post at London Irish and is expected to be named one of Gold's assistants at Bath.

"Bath is a wonderful place and the west country in England is really the heart of rugby in the U.K."

Gold also added that he had no plans to bring in any additional South Africans to his squad as things stand.

"They're all at Saracens,"
he quipped in reference to signing more South Africans.

(Sm22)

Radio Interview

Cheers,

Rich

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/05/2012 15:20 by Bathbadger.

FairShout (IP Logged)
07 May, 2012 15:38
Bath Badger...thanks for this latest "breaking news"

I certainly have not previously heard that Gold had mentioned this to any broadcaster or media rep...so if original and true, a great scoop.

Well a great piece of communication management from NB and the board!...not

So Gold announces it to the South African press and the Great British Public (Ok exaggeration Bath fans)

Whilst nothing nothing from "our club" Hmmm

Bod (IP Logged)
07 May, 2012 15:49
If that's his sense of humour I think I'll take to the man quite quickly!
[:wor kid:]

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_dOg4Ljp3kh8/Sf89bRrqecI/AAAAAAAAAJY/eJCF1kt4b0E/s200/DON%27T-SHOOT-THE-MESSENGER1.jpg

marshie10 (IP Logged)
07 May, 2012 15:49
This will annoy BC and NB a great deal I think

Bod (IP Logged)
07 May, 2012 15:58
Seriously miffed eh marshie?

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_dOg4Ljp3kh8/Sf89bRrqecI/AAAAAAAAAJY/eJCF1kt4b0E/s200/DON%27T-SHOOT-THE-MESSENGER1.jpg

FairShout (IP Logged)
07 May, 2012 16:01
Miffed eh...well its their fault as they are meant to be in charge of handling ...so miffed at themselves

Hamptonite (IP Logged)
07 May, 2012 16:01
Listening to the interview, he was put on the spot a bit!
Anyway, it will be good to get everything confirmed tomorrow.

Must admit to not being able to see the roles of Brad Davis and Mike Ford. If Brad could do the attacking plays role, he should have done that in the past season!

Hamptonite (IP Logged)
07 May, 2012 16:03
Oh, and I thought he said in the radio interview that he had been talking to the club for 6 months!

Bri (IP Logged)
07 May, 2012 16:03
Newcastle hasn't been much of a attacking force either,time will tell.

TCM2007 (IP Logged)
07 May, 2012 16:13
Bit of a PR cock up - similar to Donald earlier in the year, I think people forget that foreign radio is accesible around the world.

Nut not NB's fault. And I presume everyone at the club is on holiday today.

Stuart

Former ed.

callmeMrTibbs (IP Logged)
07 May, 2012 16:24
"Cock-up?" "Poor piece of communication?"

Nah, it's just that clumsy thing called 'life'. (Best taken with a large spoonful of good humour.)

07 May, 2012 16:31
lol least its all confirmed now by the man himself though its going to @#$%& off the higher ranked peeps at the Rec lol

paul bath (IP Logged)
07 May, 2012 16:35
It isn't clear from the interview whether he is DoR or Head Coach.....

Bod (IP Logged)
07 May, 2012 16:35
The copresenter warned Gary to watch out for Stan Colleymore!
)(Sm22)

marshie10 (IP Logged)
07 May, 2012 16:36
He'll be Head Coach, NB explained at the Fans' Forum that he'd be HC as opposed to DoR.

soapinthebath (IP Logged)
07 May, 2012 16:39
Well I guess our powderpuff pack will be given a kick up the rear.

Neal Hatley has helped develop some top youngsters at Irish and has spent enough time at the coalface when playing so should be able to sort our scrummaging out.

Positive move I think.

http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/7273/tindalleu1.jpg

welcome back tins...

Riddler (IP Logged)
07 May, 2012 16:40
If he can get the Bath squad to match the spirit of the Falcons squad in his time there, he has my vote. Admittedly its a different scenario (hopefully!) but from reports he seems to be both liked and respected. Also, if you look at the falcons results in the time he was there, compared to before, he seems to know how to get the best out of a team. Like most though I am perplexed by the apparent signing of Ford as well. How will he and Davis work together as surely we aren't going to be the stage for Ford to try a new area of coaching? Could it be Gold (Head and attack coach), Ford (defence), Hatley (Forwards) and Davis (Skills)? I thought they were trying to push Davis up the pecking order?

marshie10 (IP Logged)
07 May, 2012 16:44
I'd be amazed if Gold is the attack coach, as he's a forwards coach traditionally. As has been said above, Brad was a first receiver in League and I think if he is given less of a work load, he could be brilliant there. He will have learnt and absorbed a hell of a lot from Steve Meehan, both positive things and things not to do. Brad Davis knows Bath inside out, and he knows the Premiership inside out. If he's not over worked, he is brilliant. Ford will do the defence, Brad will be attack and skills.

Griff (IP Logged)
07 May, 2012 16:48
Davis as attack coach makes sense, wasn't he doing defense and attack this season?

David Sisi Adopted player 2016/17

"You're going to need a bigger boat"

annie blackthorn (IP Logged)
07 May, 2012 16:53
Where does the rumoured arrivalof Hatley from Irish fit in then? Someone said on another thread that Ford and Davis were players together at Castleford. So they know each other of old, but as players not colleagues. Is this the case - anyone?

Adoptee for 2017/18 James Phillips - newly arrived and bringing a wealth of experience in the Prem!

Bri (IP Logged)
07 May, 2012 16:55
South Africa?both he and Gold are.

Bri (IP Logged)
07 May, 2012 16:59
[www.espnscrum.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/05/2012 17:06 by Bri.

marshie10 (IP Logged)
07 May, 2012 17:05
Gold will know Hatley from when Gold was at London Irish, but Hatley has a very good reputation throughout the Premiership.

paul bath (IP Logged)
07 May, 2012 17:11
So who will be DoR?

OLoingseach (IP Logged)
07 May, 2012 17:12
If Ford is coming as defence coach, can only mean Brad is attack, can't it? Not sure that's a good move myself. Is Hatley forwards and Gold OIC?

marshie10 (IP Logged)
07 May, 2012 17:12
We won't have a DoR. If we do have one it will be Gold, but I'm pretty certain he will be Head Coach.

Bri (IP Logged)
07 May, 2012 17:13
Just been announced on htv news.

Bri (IP Logged)
07 May, 2012 17:45
Did anyone know Mr Golds Agent is based in Bath?

DanWiley (IP Logged)
07 May, 2012 17:54
If we don't have one then the hc s effectively doing the role. Either that or nb is. I do think that there is a distinction between the roles, different skills, and even subtly different goals, so I'd say there is certainly room for different people, perhaps disappointed that we're not looking beyond that.

RUGBY MAD (IP Logged)
07 May, 2012 17:57
Gary Gold has confirmed he will be the new director of rugby at Bath.

It is thought the South African's coaching staff will include current London Irish boss Toby Booth forward coach, former Exiles prop Neal Hatley scrum coah and ex-England defence coach Mike Ford
London Irish team up from the past.Sorry could of been better back room staff.

Gary will work well with good players.

RUGBY MAD (IP Logged)
07 May, 2012 18:01
Gary is South Africa tapping up some big name players
who would you like to see? any names?

Bri (IP Logged)
07 May, 2012 18:05

ballsout (IP Logged)
07 May, 2012 18:06
Rugby Mad, do you enjoy repeating the same things over and over and over again?

And by the way, Booth is staying at London Irish. No idea where you got that one from.

retired (IP Logged)
07 May, 2012 18:07
Quote:
Bri
South Africa?both he and Gold are.
GG is a Saffa, Hatley has a Saffa accent from being brought up in SA

FairShout (IP Logged)
07 May, 2012 18:10
The Press Association are also widely reporting the Radio interview and confirming the appointment of Gold

Will NB & BC release a statement?

If true about Booth then I will be even more impressed as this will give us a strong coaching set up and give us the platform to put our club back into competing for trophies.

Interesting post Re new players. Lets see if BC will give Gold the mandate to make changes to the playing staff and bring in new signings. I still believe we have a strong player base who just did not perform this term, but maybe Gold & co can give them confidence and revitalise the careers of one or two as well as build on the excellent form of others. There are a few positions mind that I would love to see new blood (12/13)

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net