Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5

Re: GARY GOLD
Puxonian (IP Logged)
08 May, 2012 17:25
Quote:
Bri
And I have been told Brad is attack coach

I can't really see how it could be anyone else.

This is a very heavyweight team which looks more than capable of sorting out the pack,something that we really do need. Motivation should also improve dramatically, though I can't see expansive rugby being too high on the agenda!

I wish them all the best of luck though and will be with them all the way

m0rris (IP Logged)
08 May, 2012 17:55
Firstly, I am glad that Gary has got the lead role. However I do share the concerns of those about the number of chiefs that are coming in comapred to the existing chief/indian ratio. I am also slightly worried about our attack, as much as I love a good forwards game I don't want boring rugby... Most importantly though, I'm prepared to give em a chance so welcome to Bath settle in and win us some silverware.

Bod (IP Logged)
08 May, 2012 17:57
Things might get better - but I think it has serious limitations for the paying punter. Hux echos my reservations as do the LI influx. But, Brucification is brutal. We've lived his bollox this year!

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_dOg4Ljp3kh8/Sf89bRrqecI/AAAAAAAAAJY/eJCF1kt4b0E/s200/DON%27T-SHOOT-THE-MESSENGER1.jpg

Duke of Earl (IP Logged)
08 May, 2012 18:08
Well Irish have had and still have some exciting backs, so hopefully a bit of that style might leaven the forward grunt and thump.

Bri (IP Logged)
08 May, 2012 18:17
One thing,I expect our youngsters to improve under Booth.Let's hope we can get off to a good start next season,with the addition of James and Webber our scrum should be a lot tighter and distructive.Really looking forward to seeing the squad develope.100% backing from me and the owner has delivered and should be congratulated.

Bod (IP Logged)
08 May, 2012 18:32
The owner has delivered Part II of the "Mansour" project"?

I hope its not that way!

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_dOg4Ljp3kh8/Sf89bRrqecI/AAAAAAAAAJY/eJCF1kt4b0E/s200/DON%27T-SHOOT-THE-MESSENGER1.jpg

BustaR (IP Logged)
08 May, 2012 18:41
I agree, these are massively positive signings and we should have one seriously powerful grizzly hairy ass pack. If they perform to the potential the service of ball should make the backs life easier and give them that extra second to play some quality football. Only thing I feel missing is a kicking coach, even if in a part time role, the amount of games we have lost by a few points due to poor field goals is possibly the difference between a 'just happy to be here' mid table team and a feared force others don't want to face and are worried of conceding penalties to, which again would give us better ball and days at Twickenham.

Bri (IP Logged)
08 May, 2012 18:45
I agree on the kicking,even though we had to very good try disallowed at Wasps we could have still won the game with a good kicker.

Bathbadger (IP Logged)
08 May, 2012 18:51
Agreed, but if we get to the point where we can be ahead enough not to worry if a kick is missed and we aren't giving away stupid penalties, that'll be a great achievement.

Cheers,

Rich

BustaR (IP Logged)
08 May, 2012 18:57
Quote:
Bathbadger
Agreed, but if we get to the point where we can be ahead enough not to worry if a kick is missed and we aren't giving away stupid penalties, that'll be a great achievement.

This is true but just as important as the points a kicker gets, if you have a 75% + accuracy opposition will concede less penalties to us, giving us quicker and cleaner ball to hopefully play with.

Bri (IP Logged)
08 May, 2012 19:03
We desperately need a kicker,especially if Toms not playing,forget all the quick ball stuff,you can't win any tournament without one.

annie blackthorn (IP Logged)
08 May, 2012 19:07
The number of new bods slightly concerns me - not sure doing things by committee is a good strategy. Unproven attack coach, several who have been effective with forwards, but what else?

I do hope it has been thrashed out firstly when BC and NB (and whoever else was involved - SIM?) sat down with pen and paper and made a list of requirements, and secondly that the contract stage was made clear who is going to be responsible for what and who is the boss! Also that, as has been rumoured over the past year or so, Mr Craig sits now very firmly on his hands, and resists the temptation to give helpful advice on selection, signings etc. Take a leaf or two out of Nigel Wray's handbook on how to be an owner, not Abramovich! I am feeling more optimistic about next season btw. Not at the stage of getting my cheque book out as yet, but on the way!(Sm147)

One of Gold's very first objectives must be to rebuild the players belief in themselves as talented players, and secondly squad confidence. He's got a couple of months once they all return from hols. Any noises of change on the backroom boys btw?

Adoptee for 2017/18 James Phillips - newly arrived and bringing a wealth of experience in the Prem!

Bri (IP Logged)
08 May, 2012 19:17
I have concerns as well Annie but feel it would be posting a negative post and that would be frowned on.

Dorset Boy (IP Logged)
08 May, 2012 19:19
I for one would love the comparable success that Abramovich has brought to Chelsea - 4 FA cups in 6 years, a number of league titles, the record for goals scored in a season, Euro QF & Semis every year at least, two European Cup finals, with hopefully one EC in a couple of weeks....

Welcome to Bath all the new coaches - get our pack back to the feared machine in was in 2003, 2004 & 2005 and see where we go.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/2012 19:22 by Dorset Boy.

08 May, 2012 19:35
Since when have you worried about being frowned on Brian!eye popping smiley

Adoptee for 2017/18 James Phillips - newly arrived and bringing a wealth of experience in the Prem!

Bri (IP Logged)
08 May, 2012 19:37
Since I only want to post positive posts and try to be nice.

Huxster (IP Logged)
08 May, 2012 20:11
Gold is South African. Lack of effort is not an option.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v654/Huxster8/Huxster6.jpg

Hamptonite (IP Logged)
08 May, 2012 21:51
Gary Gold will definitely be the boss! Toby Booth wanted to work with him again, despite what may appear a downward step on the ladder!

This has been on the burner for quite a few weeks now and I am sure that the structure has been well thought through by the man charged with turning our club into something better than we have seen over the last 3or 4 seasons!

Who knows, we might even be near the top of the league in November!

Riddler (IP Logged)
08 May, 2012 22:13
I would hope that after last time round, bodging it this season it would not be an option and that they have planned everything to the last detail. As it has been truly abysmal for the 12 to 36 months (depending on parameters), I will be optimistic until given a reason otherwise. I am not expecting even a 4th place finish next season, but Heineken Cup qualification must be the aim, the same the year after that. Within three to four I would like us to be in the top four if not two, and have no obvious flaws to our game, such as have been ruthlessly exposed season after season of late. Not very exciting prospect for some (by instinct for me either) but if we can build on solid ground, place emphasis on quality academy players coming through, quality signings with years to go, then with the infrastructure being built the club can have consistent success year after year and stop scrambling to reinvent itself or find a messiah to restore honours (Life of Brian moment would be apt considering the recent debacle).

No short cuts to success, seen it for over a decade at Bath and believe the only way to go is what the club have talked about but rarely evidenced on the pitch, what the fans want at a minimum when they buy a ticket and what is the basis for any successful club; players fighting tooth and nail to win a starting place. Get that right and you are more than half way to success whatever your goal is.

08 May, 2012 22:27
Hmmm
I am encouraged by comments above. Very apt the reference to the 'Messiah ' syndrome all too often leapt upon by thoe with sentimental memories of Bath's prime in the short period during the 80-90's.

Must do a bit of sleuthing and sniff the air! (Sm14)

Horus (IP Logged)
08 May, 2012 22:46
Permit an observation from Newcastle. Like most supporters, all I knew about Mike Ford, was what I had seen and heard about his England tenure under Johnno & I was not very impressed. Since he came to Kingston Park, I have had to revise my opinions, fairly radically. Not only did he beef up our defence, but, IMO tweaked it in a more sophisticated direction. That could be seen in our match against Sarries (they failed to cross our whitewash). What most people, even those at Kingston Park,will not have seen, was how well Ford ran the Falcons game from Rob Andrew's old pitch in the clubhouse/East Stand. From only a few metres from my seat, I could hear him not only calling new defensive alignments, but also the tactical moves. I had seen him do this before, though not to the same extent.
The big surprise for me was that hands-on game management was not being done by GG but by Mike Ford.I think current reluctance to accept him at the Rec as GG's side kick could well change over time.

ballsout (IP Logged)
08 May, 2012 23:01
Mike Ford gave England one of the tightest defences in the world in terms of tries conceded. His reputation is somehow tarnished because England weren't world beaters under Robinson, Ashton or Johnson but under the latter two, defence was one of England's better most consistently good strengths.

TCM2007 (IP Logged)
08 May, 2012 23:06
Nice stat. I don't think there's any question he's a good defence coach. Thing is, so is Brad. It's that we could usefully have clarity on.

Stuart

Former ed.

ballsout (IP Logged)
08 May, 2012 23:10
Quote:
I don't think there's any question he's a good defence coach.

There's plenty of questions about that.

rugby john (IP Logged)
08 May, 2012 23:44
When Falcons came to the Rec I sat behind the Falcons bench.Ford was a real presence. He dominated all that took place. Brad Davis was like a choir boy in comparison. Massive forwards took stick from him without question. He takes no prisoners! If life at Bath has lacked a little edge that time is over. I did not see Gold at all.

Bri (IP Logged)
09 May, 2012 01:19
The better defensive sides lack attack

ballsout (IP Logged)
09 May, 2012 01:58
Quote:
Bri

Not so England in 2009 and 2011. Best defence in the Six Nations, coupled with most tries scored, both years.

TCM2007 (IP Logged)
09 May, 2012 02:05
Just stats stats stats with you, isn't it? (Sm30)

Stuart

Former ed.

Bri (IP Logged)
09 May, 2012 05:33
Well it's going to be interesting with two defensive coaches.

FairShout (IP Logged)
09 May, 2012 07:24
Well guys...Ive woken up with a spring in my step

Five coaches, not just 2/3...Five who under a Head Coach with a proven track record can and I believe take us forward into a new era of excellence.

The players now have the facilities, the coaching support asnd superb fans....well No excuses now, this is a new era

Great News....How long to Pre season friendlies?

BBandW (IP Logged)
09 May, 2012 07:43
"How long to Pre season friendlies?"

A step at a time FS; we haven't had the annual "my season ticket hasn't arrived yet" ritual.

stuckinlondon (IP Logged)
09 May, 2012 08:02
Game plan for next season.

Give the ball to a big narly pack, grind the opposition down then one of 4 back moves

1) Ball to Eastmond
2) Ball to Biggs
3) Ball to Banahan
4) Ball to Abendendon

FairShout (IP Logged)
09 May, 2012 08:29
BB Fair shout, you've brought me back to reality

Oh well it's still good to dream

Bath Fan (IP Logged)
09 May, 2012 08:43
fairShout - dreams can come true mate!

Humpo (IP Logged)
09 May, 2012 10:00
Quote:
stuckinlondon
Game plan for next season.
Give the ball to a big narly pack, grind the opposition down then one of 4 back moves

1) Ball to Eastmond
2) Ball to Biggs
3) Ball to Banahan
4) Ball to Abendendon

Interesting theory SiL, but do you forsee Eastmond, Biggs, Bendy & Banners playing in the same backline?

I would absolutely love it, but based on last seasons performance, would Banners get a start over Eastmond on the wing? Would they play Eastmond at 13?

Bri (IP Logged)
09 May, 2012 10:06
We have signed a top class 13 if the rumours are to be believed.

Miles Offside (IP Logged)
09 May, 2012 10:10
Bri - if that's the one I heard of then that's brilliant news - is the one you're thinking of used to playing in dark attire?

(Sm109)

Bod (IP Logged)
S.African ?

Bri (IP Logged)
Could be,let's hope for we need one.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/05/2012 10:12 by Bri.

DanWiley (IP Logged)
09 May, 2012 10:16
I can see Eastmond playing at 13.

Humpo (IP Logged)
09 May, 2012 10:17
An All Black by any chance kids?

I've heard the same...

Rampant (IP Logged)
09 May, 2012 10:25
Quote:
Bri

Because the All Blacks never score any Tries...

Bod (IP Logged)
09 May, 2012 10:29
Quote:
Humpo
An All Black by any chance kids?
I've heard the same...

A super-sub?

@Hydor18 (IP Logged)
09 May, 2012 13:08
No Bod, if what I have heard is true then he's a seriously big name and definitely not one for the subs bench.

Bod (IP Logged)
09 May, 2012 13:15
Aye RCC - but did he make his name in the last RWC as the super sub?
Is playing DC at 12 nest month making Nonu or SBW uncomfortable?
SBW would be serious "Sit up and take notice"!

mines a black rat (IP Logged)
09 May, 2012 13:15
Or could the dark shirt be refering to the Sharks at it is JP on his way, hence the jet back to SA for Gold?? I admit a far fetched theory but I wanted to join in the fun as I have not heard the other rumour (Sm55)

Have you found the Black Rat?? I have!!

http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/x373/minesablackrat/Blackrat.jpg

Bri (IP Logged)
09 May, 2012 13:20
It's a SA

@Hydor18 (IP Logged)
09 May, 2012 13:21
Actually, I don't know why I'm @#$%& footing around. I was only a rumour picked up in a conversation, but Conrad Smith was the name I'd heard.

Certainly nothing more than a rumour though.

@Hydor18 (IP Logged)
09 May, 2012 13:24
Personally, I think our problem is both 12 and 13. Given the free hand, I'd plump for Frans Steyn and Jonathan Joseph. One to punch the hole and to finish off if needs be, the other to exploit the gap and release the winger.

I can but dream...

mines a black rat (IP Logged)
09 May, 2012 13:25
That is the way RCC no willy waving just get it out and let us gasp.

Isn't SBW contracted to go back to league in Oz??

Have you found the Black Rat?? I have!!

http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/x373/minesablackrat/Blackrat.jpg

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net