DanWiley (IP Logged)
09 May, 2012 12:35
right age for a pension.

Re: GARY GOLD
Bod (IP Logged)
09 May, 2012 13:02
Quote:
mines a black rat
That is the way RCC no willy waving just get it out and let us gasp.
Isn't SBW contracted to go back to league in Oz??

SBW doesn't do RL contracts very well!

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_dOg4Ljp3kh8/Sf89bRrqecI/AAAAAAAAAJY/eJCF1kt4b0E/s200/DON%27T-SHOOT-THE-MESSENGER1.jpg

09 May, 2012 13:03
Id like Jacque Fourie he is a quality 13 and hes a proven S.A International

Humpo (IP Logged)
09 May, 2012 13:30
I agree with the above concerns about not just 13, but both centre channels.

I could chat to people for HOURS about our potential backline for next year and the options.

The biggest swinging point, and the thing that would remove all doubt and arguments is that if Olly Barkley found his form of 2 years ago before his leg break.

If that happens, then we have a solid foundation to work off at 12, with options from *new signing*, Williams, Hipkiss, Eastmond and Banners at 13.

My concern about it is where will Kyle fit in?

He won't replace Barks at 12. He won't start at 13 if we sign someone new. He won't start over Biggsy, nor Bendy... Leaving Banners...?

DanWiley (IP Logged)
09 May, 2012 13:36
Would it do too much harm to have some rotation in our back four?

Maybe that should be a metric the club applies? Where N positions can overlap, aim to have N+1 players that you would select all of them in a different world.

So have fives players that can cover the positions of the back 4. Four players who can cover the back row, all of a starting quality.

dr.bath1865 (IP Logged)
09 May, 2012 14:16
If I was a rugby union backs coach with K Eastmond in my squad I would want to use him in a totally new union position, an 8th back if you will. I'd almost invent a position. (Bear with me...).

My ideal position would see him doing primarily two things: 1) distributing the ball to runners 2) running at slow forwards/ flat footed defending backs.

His skills' set in league were as a provider and a lethal final quarter finisher. Hence, we need the ball in his hands as much as possible to maximise his speed of rugby mind, his own individual running ability and the threat he poses by bringing others on to the ball flat and late.

Therefore, I'd play him with the 14 jersey on his back but I would train him to operate as a sometimes first/ mostly second receiver. Working off Donald/TH/OB he can operate wider off set plays in wide open spaces to use his pace and then work closer to rucks in open play. I would want him to manage our game, to be a key decision maker and, along with our 10/12, provide the structure for our attacking game. In the final third, I'd want him on the ball in as many of our attacking phases as possible.

Therefore, his best position for me would be floating between 10/12 in attack, drifting to the wider channels off set plays. In defence, whilst he can tackle, I'd want him on the right wing where he may be given the chance to run kick returns back. He is no Jason Robinson (who is?!) as I believe KE has more diversity to his game but he can still run like lightening in the open spaces.

So, Kyle's best position? Let's call it a fly-centre.

m0rris (IP Logged)
09 May, 2012 14:23
Dr.Bath, maybe we could bring back position 16 for Bath in the starting lineup?

Ade1865 (IP Logged)
09 May, 2012 14:43
well 13 certainly hasn't been lucky has it!

Blocks2u (IP Logged)
09 May, 2012 15:11
Nothing wrong with healthy competition in the backs, iirc a few will be up for new contracts in a year so Kyle and a new 13 should put them all on their mettle, none of them should regard their place as a given even SD has realised that.

Ian

marshie10 (IP Logged)
09 May, 2012 15:21
Quite right Blocks. What's great about a near brand new coaching set up is that it's a completely clean slate for all players, that can only be a good thing.

Bod (IP Logged)
09 May, 2012 15:40
Quote:
marshie10
Quite right Blocks. What's great about a near brand new coaching set up is that it's a completely clean slate for all players, that can only be a good thing.

Indeed - let's all hope that the Detox is harsh and short. I get the impression from what I've observed that, through injury, OB1 will never be the same. We need a new 12 along with 13 and OB1 stays on the bench.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_dOg4Ljp3kh8/Sf89bRrqecI/AAAAAAAAAJY/eJCF1kt4b0E/s200/DON%27T-SHOOT-THE-MESSENGER1.jpg

marshie10 (IP Logged)
09 May, 2012 16:23
Barkley has a metal plate in his leg still and I'd put that down as a large contributor for his form. But which of our backs apart from Biggs, Woodburn and Heathcote really shone this season anyway? Barkley will recapture his form, I'm certain of it. He didn't agree with McGeechan's way of rugby, and when he seemed to ignore it in the last couple of games, he shone.

fat lock (IP Logged)
09 May, 2012 17:08
I'm not too sure how much the metal plate impacts on Barkley's game except it is a reminder of the two awful injuries he's had.

He's always struck me as needing confidence to really shine (all players do - but OB1 more than others I think)- I think the England fall out, ill fated move to Gloucester and then two broken legs must have been very difficult to deal with. Then with his return in an unsettled back line playing rugby he's not comfortable with must have been further concerns.

He just hasn't looked happy to me.

Confidence in his body, team-mates and coaches will rejuvenate him I'm sure. As Marshie says I'm sure he'll recapture his form since beneath it all is a classy rugby player.
My one concern is that he seems to have lost some pace - that could be a consequence of the injuries, and if so may be gone forever.

Bri (IP Logged)
09 May, 2012 17:12
While I would love Barkley to regain form,I have my doubts.Of coarse I hope others are right,he has done fantastic but he has lost a yard of pace.

Federico (IP Logged)
09 May, 2012 17:26
If it's a Saffa, and a seriously big name, it must be either Frans Steyn, Jacques Fourie, Jean De Villiers, or JP Pietersen. Am I warm? (I recall a rumour that a couple of Sharks were keen to join us. If it's Pietersen, hopefully he can bring Jannie Du Plessis with him, with Bismark to follow when Mearsy retires). I have listed the 13s in my preferential order, but personally would be delighted with any of these four. 13 is a position in the squad that has been unstable for years. We need to build real strength in depth here. The new 13 needs to mentor Ben Williams, and hopefully he will deliver his promise. If Ben does not come on then I hope the new bosses are looking at Elliot Daly as a great long term option.

Bri (IP Logged)
09 May, 2012 17:31
James J is the best 13 in this country and I mean now,not a prospect and he's at Irish.he'll be a revalation in South Africa.Let's hope he"ll want to join his ex coaches.

annie blackthorn (IP Logged)
09 May, 2012 17:57
Have to say that the one thing I will not miss about the more recent ERE, is the discussion of individual players as if they were some a racehorse or greyhound, or even less capable of feeling - a BB&W barbie doll!

And I will not accept that just because they are professional sportsmen, they are fair game and 'we' can say what we like about them. NO doubt another of the many reasons Glen has finally had enough.

Adoptee for 2017/18 James Phillips - newly arrived and bringing a wealth of experience in the Prem!

Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net