rugbyunion
Latest News:

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Long hard look in the mirror
stuckinlondon (IP Logged)
08 May, 2012 07:26
Having just read Glen's thread about how he feels he has to close ERE I am sat here wondering if those that have changed the mood of ERE are taking a long hard look at themselves.

The vast majority of posters, post thoughtful insightful occasionally controversial comments. A few are hell bent on posting abuse, personal insults and generally turning ERE into a childs playground.

I notice how at this time none of what I would call these toxic minority have posted on Glen's thread. But seem happy to continue to post on other threads.

Guess people get what they want.

My question to them is are you proud of what you have achieved?

Re: Long hard look in the mirror
Bri (IP Logged)
08 May, 2012 07:34
I also noticed that lots of people coming out of the woodwork now and didn't post and say nothing at the time.I have known people get warned by pm or so I was told and I never received one.
Also I've never posted abused towards anyone,I may have argued the point.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/2012 07:37 by Bri.

zacdog (IP Logged)
08 May, 2012 07:43
SIL they won't come out as they are the types who wouldn't have the courage to say anything to people's faces ...they find it much easier to hurl abuse from the safety of the keyboard.
I really dont think they care about ERE and as you said not one post of apology on Glen's thread

08 May, 2012 07:44
Do you need to be told when you're behaving badly? What are we 3 years old?

People are coming out of the woodwork because they value ERE and are sorry to see it go they have been driven away by a small minority!

Bri (IP Logged)
08 May, 2012 07:48
I totally agree,maybe this should have happened earlier when the personal attacks was happening to our captain,Head coach,Flatman and the like.Vile behaviour by the minority.

08 May, 2012 07:52
Bri,

It has been mentioned by many people I myself posted a thread albeit trying in a humerous way highlight the fact that people were finding the infighting and postings of a minority to be driving them away.

Anybody that this is coming as a shock to has beenliving with their enlarged head stuck up their enlarged backside!

Bri (IP Logged)
08 May, 2012 07:56
The abuse of Sir Ian were way out of order,as I have said our Captains family were upset by the posting regarding him,what sort of affect do you think that would have on the team,if Glen is closing down ere I well understand but some of the vile posts should have been dealt with earlier.

hasta (IP Logged)
08 May, 2012 07:57
Bri, a new poster posted a thread making reasonable arguments about why they weren't renewing their Season Ticket and you turned it into a personal attack on them (including swear words at them) and then made another thread laughing at their complaint about food. You are just as responsible for the recent childish attitude and lack of respect for other posters opinions.

08 May, 2012 07:59
Hasta (Sm152)

Bri (IP Logged)
08 May, 2012 08:00
Maybe a little straw that broke the camels back but hardly life changing and I posted sorry for it.

08 May, 2012 08:02
Bri,

Straight onto this thread with outrage about peoples behaviour and how they should have been warned.

Have you posted on the closing ERE thread?

Oh no you haven't

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/2012 08:02 by stuckinlondon.

pubtime (IP Logged)
08 May, 2012 08:18
Well I know there will be quite a few Bath players/staff past and present who will be happy to see the back off it. It became a forum for some to make vociferous and personal attacks on members of Bath Rugby.

I will never forget the fury in Bellys face one evening a few years ago after attacks levelled against him on this site.. When I felt obliged to raise this on ere I was shot down.. Also Mr Flatman I know felt totally demoralised by things said here when I spoke to him before the Leinster game this year..

A great site once which has been destroyed by a cancer of negativity and in some cases hatred from a small group of people who hide behind their nicknames.. To those people... go forth and multiply..

What was soooo hard about collectively giving the message that yes we know you guys are struggling but we are in this together and we are right behind you.. What was soooo wrong with collectively giving BC and NB ere's support for the efforts they are putting in to rebuild this club and return it to preeminence ????????????????????????? Just don't get it...

FairShout (IP Logged)
08 May, 2012 08:34
After circa 6 years of using ERE as a reference point and truly grateful to the founders, it was with astonishment and disappointment that I began to see the moral decline and poor conduct of a few, who took to hijacking this site in order to post not just their opinion, to which they are fully entitled, but to submit postings of a personal vile and abusive nature.

I reluctantly and only recently began to post an alternative position under the "Fair Shout" brand. Why not be "Fair" with one's opinion, criticism and observation.

I believe that if one treated every subject matter with respect then the argument can be passionate, contentious, even angry (after an other defeat) but FAIR

I became involved as I was distraught with the reaction of my teenager son who was disgusted by the tone, victimisation and abuse of people whom he looks up to. He asked me to do something about...! As someone who hates computers the last thing I thought I would do was to start engaging direct on any site ever mind one that had degenerated to a place not fit to be read by children...Goodness sake this is meant to be a Rugby Fans Forum

After the bullying minority, scoffed at my values, posted that this was "Not a place for kids to visit" ridiculed my "Fair" approach, I responded with not one aggressive or abusive reply. I was buoyed at The Fans Forum by fellow "fans" and ERE posters who had managed to "out" me and identify me. I wish to thank all those who had encouraged me to continue with the stance I had taken to those that I believe are bullies.

I also will miss the posts that are argued with great verve, intelligence, insight and PASSION. The fans Forum is not a place for everyone to agree, it is a place to share opinion. I do not always share others position but I RESPECT their argument, if presented with an air of sensibility and fairness. Therefore I will miss the healthy exchange and disagreements as well as reading posts that I wholeheartedly agree with.

It is a sad day. The post is headed Long hard look in the mirror...it is a Fair post, a good post and sad that it had to be posted

My genuine, sincere and grateful thanks to all who have set up and contributed positively over the years

WestonDave (IP Logged)
08 May, 2012 08:48
The irony of a thread like this is that those who probably need to think about what they have been doing will barely see this thread as it goes so far over their heads, whilst those who generally posted with restraint will be the ones combing their recollections for the one or two things they should never have hit "post" on.

I've always tried to post on a "if you wouldn't say it to their face, don't say it on Ere" basis but I don't doubt that if the playing squad went through my posting history they'd find a few things they'd rather I never said - for which I can only apologise. That said I'm not going to apologise for feeling that what we've seen this season is not what I expect from Bath Rugby.

marshie10 (IP Logged)
08 May, 2012 08:56
I echo the post of Weston Dave, I regret hugely getting into some of the quarrels I've had. I also regret hugely being off hand with Bathbird, whom I now get on well with on Twitter. I've always tried to be positive and upbeat on the prospects of this squad and I still am. I do get very disappointed with how some one here feel that one bad game for a player means they're terrible. Pure poison.

Beer Belly (IP Logged)
08 May, 2012 08:57
It was a shame when they closed that 'pub' up the road. Got awfully rowdy in h'ERE after that IMHO.

http://i794.photobucket.com/albums/yy221/bathbeerbelly_photos/beerbelly.jpg

http://i794.photobucket.com/albums/yy221/bathbeerbelly_photos/Roko701-1.jpg
Beer Belly's new adoptee for the 2012/13 season.

Welcome to The Rec - officially!

Cheers! (Sm63)

pubtime (IP Logged)
08 May, 2012 08:57
Well I think bullying is over stating it.. If some people come on here and tell long standing and loyal fans they are the worst in the league and have no passion, or some people question the commitment of BC, or the passion of the players and some people insult quite unforgivably the coaching and management team, people are going to get upset and will comment and probably quite aggressively .. Thats the problem, we descended into subjectivity, negativity and abuse..

m0rris (IP Logged)
08 May, 2012 09:13
I agree PT, there's plenty worse out there especially on tiwtter. People are bound not too like criticism when it appears on ERE but it doesn't mean that it is wrong because they don't like it.

I'll admit to having crossed the line a couple of times when I was a little less wise about Bath rugby and more importantly internet decorum.

The Mods were then faced with an uphill struggle to keep the ship together something which many of them clearly no longer had the time or the energy to do after such a long period helping out Bath rugby's fans... fair enough! It is certain that should there be another Bath forum, and I hope there is not being a twitterer, it will need a heavy handed approach to moderation for the first few months to establish new ways of thinking and to remove some of the less wanted material...

08 May, 2012 09:18
It's not the criticism of players or coaches that got me, so long as it is about their performance and not personality then that IMO is fine. They are paid professionals my performance is subject to review just like anyone else's.

What I can't stand is the way some on here make rational disagreements personal. It is bullying, it's childish and as with most spoilt children what they enjoyed the most is now being taken away.

K9sixtwo (IP Logged)
08 May, 2012 09:22
When i used to post on mainly the offy, i viewed ERE as a more closed shop that wasn't overly welcoming to outsiders, and indeed, as a result i kept away, when the offy shut down I moved onto ERE, and was welcomed..
Everyone is entitled to their opinions.. is an oft quoted cry, labelled alongside freedom of speech, however to have your rights you have to have your responsibilities, a few have no responsibility and decry anything anyone else has to say, that doesn't sit in their ideal world.
I have posted less and less this season,mainly after making a comment on crowd noise i was greeted with this response

"Dont be an ignorant tw*t, understand that your actions result in someone else being disadvantaged... He wasnt an @#$%&, you were being totally discourteous in your enthusiasm, and maybe if you think this a problem, you aint the kind of person we want at the rec... "

If that is reasoned discussion then shame.. It has clearly stuck with me and still irritates me that someone who considers themselves a "bigger" fan than i has the right to abuse me because they dont agree with me and to say that I was not wanted at thr Rec...Very sad

Bod (IP Logged)
08 May, 2012 09:50
Glen is tired of running Ere with his mods also weary, some of whom only continue through their loyalty to Mr Leat I'm sure.
Glen has new priorities in life, and who goes looking for hassle as they get past a certain age?
For the amount of traffic this site generates, the return is very poor, and I guess SN will possibly look to continue it, but the very attraction is that it is a non-corporate, non-conformist Free House, as opposed to a Happy Eater type entity that seem popular elsewhere but never cease to disappoint.

I understand that after the previous endeavour to offload resulted it the morphing of his "baby" into something he didn't recognise, it is Glen's wish to kill off Ere rather than look for succession.

Negativity?
I don't think that is the main impetus behind the decision, just a general weariness of the punters old and new becoming increasingly disillusioned with the pazzazz and twaddle that has ensued from BC2's take over.
It was evident that part of his strategy is to establish his own style and Bruce-Bath Brand with as much as possible associated with the previous regime erased from the team's DNA.
Including the Offy Forum.
I find it strange that Ere disappears so soon after - sad ironic coincidence indeed.
Some Brucifications are very justified and required, however, other "pups" have been so poorly sold you could hear them barking from a long way away.
SIM-time was a disgrace.
I guess there are old coggers like me who associate themselves with a Bath rugby experience that the younger Ere contributors cannot comprehend.
This starts with the way the club treats you as a fan, through to the players psyche and on field attitude, sincerity of coaches and their passion, the shirt design, beer options etc - it's a difficult benchmark to maintain.

I reckon Ere has also run it's road.
I guess the twittersphere beckons for those who wish to continue.
Wringing of hands and wailing and gnashing of teeth, berating whoever you wish for prompting Glen's hand ain't going to improve things we wind down - but |I guess a few will wish to vent a nostalgic spleen or two so I guess you should enjoy the experience whilst you can.

There have been some superb people I've met through this forum. And a few tw4ts, but hey, that's Pub life innit?

Navel stare if it makes you feel better, if not, get on and enjoy what's left of it.

Just a few thoughts!
(Sm3)

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_dOg4Ljp3kh8/Sf89bRrqecI/AAAAAAAAAJY/eJCF1kt4b0E/s200/DON%27T-SHOOT-THE-MESSENGER1.jpg

pubtime (IP Logged)
08 May, 2012 10:14
ummm digging up old stuff K9 but I think you will find you were being unreasonable and made disparaging comments about a guy who could not see because he believed you or Humpo stood up before action ended.. This is a real problem at the Rec and a bugbear for many of us who can't see the whole pitch, it's thoughtless behaviour which somehow you refused to acknowledge hence the strong response. "the bigger fan' thing is just your judgement. in all the time i have been on ere or at the rec I don't remember anyone claiming to be more of a fan or a 'bigger fan' than the next..

Believe me I have a guy sitting next to me in his late sixties who makes it his personal campaign to keep people seated during the action because he finds them totally selfish in that he can't stand up fast enough.. I have seen him whack people with a flag if they stand up and uses a stronger tone than that posted, quite rightly so.. So you got off lightly with the guy who impolitely asked you not to obscure his view.. The key here is respect for your fellow supporter at the ground which clearly didn't register with you when you made that point in the post.. but I dare say you have taken it on board and remain seated!! smiling smiley)

Miles Offside (IP Logged)
08 May, 2012 10:15
Bod, you just don't get it, do you? (Sm164)

(Sm109)

Bod (IP Logged)
08 May, 2012 10:20
Who died MO?
What should I get that I don't that you and others (I assume) find so outrageously deficient?
Or is it the SN Lady Diana syndrome kicking in?

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_dOg4Ljp3kh8/Sf89bRrqecI/AAAAAAAAAJY/eJCF1kt4b0E/s200/DON%27T-SHOOT-THE-MESSENGER1.jpg

pubtime (IP Logged)
08 May, 2012 10:29
'Not me guv' from Bod 'its their fault!!'

ballsout (IP Logged)
08 May, 2012 10:30
As if we haven't heard Bod's endless monotonous rants about BC, SIM and NB enough, he posts an extended summation trying to convince us that that's the reason ERE is closing. (Sm164)

I mirror what MO said. Utter joke

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/2012 10:31 by ballsout.

Robbinho (IP Logged)
08 May, 2012 10:37
Jeez, can't we just let ERE go out with a bit of dignity?

Bod (IP Logged)
08 May, 2012 10:41
Quote:
pubtime
'Not me guv' from Bod 'its their fault!!'

No, not at all.
You haven't got the hang of it yet have you?
(Sm7)

dr.bath1865 (IP Logged)
08 May, 2012 10:46
Ere we go again!

Which Tyler (IP Logged)
08 May, 2012 10:50
I blame Geech; without him there is nothing to discuss, so ERE has to close

A man who cannot change his mind, cannot change anything
http://www.rugbyrebels.co/board/download/file.php?id=377
RAEBURN SHIELD

pubtime (IP Logged)
08 May, 2012 10:52
come on Robbinho we've got to go through the normal dying scene. the finger pointing, dragging up quotes from the past, the scurry of panic when reality kicks in that the end is nigh, followed by quiet resignation of our fate and love ins with our fellow 'I've met some superb' contributors.. But Im sure the band will keep playing until the end and we shall remember them!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/2012 10:58 by pubtime.

fat lock (IP Logged)
08 May, 2012 10:52
We all have had responsibility for the tone here, and no doubt we all have regrets.

I wish my recent question about IP info had been a PM not a thread.

The two most civil forums I am a member of use real names - I think the accountability of who you are (rather than usually unwitty reference to who you hope you are) helps make people be more thoughtful about their postings.

As we take a 'long hard look in the mirror' we might also remember to take the log out of our own eye so we are able to see the speck in our brother's more clearly.

Anyway, thank you all for the laughs and the information about bath rugby you've given me, and I agree with Glen - it is only a game, and probably best we all remember that.

pubtime (IP Logged)
08 May, 2012 10:53
depends what 'it' is Bod!?!?!?

devizes bath fan (IP Logged)
08 May, 2012 10:55
Quote:
pubtime
the end is neigh

http://photographicdictionary.com/sites/photographicdictionary.com/files/photos/n/neigh.jpg

Horse of the apocalypse?

Bri (IP Logged)
08 May, 2012 10:56
Couldn't have put it better Fat lock,I have regrets of some of my posts and wish I could turn the clock back on some but by largely not most.

pubtime (IP Logged)
08 May, 2012 11:00
[:wor kid:] DBF... dem glasses again!

Boy (IP Logged)
08 May, 2012 11:01
Quote:
Robbinho
Jeez, can't we just let ERE go out with a bit of dignity?

Could argue that if certain people were capable of that sort of reasoned introspection ERE wouldn't be closing in the first place.

K9sixtwo (IP Logged)
08 May, 2012 11:03
To be fair pubtime... No i haven't been to the Rec since you told me i wasn't the sort of fan you wanted.. I dug it up because i felt it was important for you to know how much it hurt me, the fact that you recognised straight away it was you that had made the comment shows that it does not sit easy with you..
You say, "The key here is respect for your fellow supporter at the ground" Its a pity we couldn't add the words "and on the forum"..

Bod (IP Logged)
08 May, 2012 11:08
Quote:
pubtime
depends what 'it' is Bod!?!?!?

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-_V94WF0nk2A/Tz7Hegc2xUI/AAAAAAAAAZI/IG6Agw3fx3U/s1600/jack+palance.jpg

(Sm100)

Boy (IP Logged)
08 May, 2012 11:13
I expect with the demise of ERE, Google Images will see a marked decline in demand.

Robbinho (IP Logged)
08 May, 2012 11:20
Well, for any late-comers or anyone in any doubt of why ERE is closing, Bod has neatly summed it up in the space of about 20 miinutes there.

A.M 180 (IP Logged)
08 May, 2012 11:25
Quote:
Spudley Zutroy
I expect with the demise of ERE, Google Images will see a marked decline in demand.
Nah I reckon Bod might just invest in an iPad and walk around town shouting at people and loading such images on the screen and holding it in front of his victim's face

Boy (IP Logged)
08 May, 2012 11:28
Quote:
A.M 180
Quote:
Spudley Zutroy
Nah I reckon Bod might just invest in an iPad and walk around town shouting at people and loading such images on the screen and holding it in front of his victim's face

As if he'd actual have the nerve to do that...

pubtime (IP Logged)
08 May, 2012 11:37
again K9 you miss the point. Dropping in and out of the Rec probably explains it.. The culture of respect at the ground is normally very strong for those around us, for opposition players taking penalties, for opposition fans (if they are not wearing cheery and white) etc.. Somehow for reasons best known to you, you find it hard to acknowledge that when we do get people at the ground who lack that level of respect its an issue, hence you getting shot down at the Rec and on this board...

My position is unequivocal on this because people standing up whilst the ball is in action is a problem (and consistently the guilty ones are non regulars/new faces who normally respect the request to SIT DOWN!!) and yours it appears is that you don't like people disagreeing with you and getting heated because you get hurt!!!! .. Ho Hum..

I don't think anything I have said indicates that my 'comment(s) does not sit easy with me' at all, you mis judge!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/2012 11:42 by pubtime.

Bod (IP Logged)
08 May, 2012 11:40
Quote:
Spudley Zutroy
Quote:
A.M 180
Quote:
Spudley Zutroy

As if he'd actual have the nerve to do that...

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRoB-OwcI-JlvcS5EsCLRgBc9cSBVuRFbXP1ggG4q1vXeQKLu_ryVyXzhHSew

Like this sort of d'you mean?
smoking smiley

pubtime (IP Logged)
08 May, 2012 11:44
is that you BOD? was always intrigued to know what you look like (Sm6)

Bod (IP Logged)
08 May, 2012 11:48
Not enough neck/facial tattoos for me pt, but pretty close!
thumbs down

Duke of Earl (IP Logged)
08 May, 2012 11:50
Perhaps Ere has run far enough, I don't really know. I am sure all of us may have posted things that might be a bit regrettable with hindsight, but that's how people are. Some are irritated with contradiction of their view, some are vociferous and pointed in their comments, some have a lack of passion and are very controlled, some have a lot of passion, maybe too much. However, all of the above will upset somebody on Ere, it's just how life is, and some of us experience a ruder and more basic variety of life than others, which may colour postings and responses. I wouldn't say the majority of threads and posts were wrong or too vigorous, even if the longer the threads went on the more childish they may have seemed to some.

pubtime (IP Logged)
08 May, 2012 11:51
OMG you are the one with HATE tattooed across the forehead who hangs out in Melksham bus stops at night!? smiling smiley

Duke of Earl (IP Logged)
08 May, 2012 11:55
Quote:
OMG you are the one with HATE tattooed across the forehead who hangs out in Melksham bus stops at night!?

If you meant me, my forehead is too low and narrow for tattoos.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net