rugbyunion
Latest News:

The COML Message Board

The place for discussion, debate and nonsense about Bath Rugby.

Join our new Facebook Group today!

New visitors please read the house rules before posting

Test your prognostications at our Prediction League

bathwickboy
bathwickboy (IP Logged)

Salaries?
15 January, 2014 15:16
Was chatting in the pub with a friend last night (football fan), and the question about salaries for top line rugby union professionals was asked. I had to admit that I have absolutely no idea, not even an approximation, of what a pro in the Aviva premiership might earn. If we take maybe 4 categories 1. superstar such as Francois Louw 2. Very good solid pro such as Domonic Day 3. Squad player Heathcote or Caldwell 4. Up and coming David Sisi.
Has anyone any idea of the sort of salary this type of player might earn?

Brian4455
Bri (IP Logged)

Re: Salaries?
15 January, 2014 15:18
A while back their was a piece in the Rugby Paper saying the Average was 80-90,000

Barters
King Curtis (IP Logged)

15 January, 2014 15:22
Supposedly:

Louw is on 270k

Dom Day and Heathcote anywhere from 80k-120k

Sisi probably around 40k.

Brian4455
Bri (IP Logged)

15 January, 2014 15:26
I'd go with thatish.

MESSAGES->author
Boy (IP Logged)

15 January, 2014 15:40
So if I were to believe everything written on this board, Perenise will be earning more playing for Bris than Flo will for us.

Hmmmmm...

Brian4455
Bri (IP Logged)

15 January, 2014 15:44
Where as that been said?what fool said that?

My mistake Boy,I read it wrong.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 15/01/2014 15:45 by Bri.

MESSAGES->author
Which Tyler (IP Logged)

15 January, 2014 16:35
Salary cap = 4.26M + allowances
Typical squad size of around 38-39

Average salary = 110k

Internationals probably around double that
Academy graduates around half that
Marquee player around 2.5-3 times that average

Of course, not everyone spends up to the cap, but still have approximately the same size squad; hell, I'd be surprised if the likes of Worcester and Newcastle are spending half the cap

A man who cannot change his mind, cannot change anything
http://www.rugbyrebels.co/board/download/file.php?id=377
RAEBURN SHIELD

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 15/01/2014 17:21 by Which Tyler.

grubbyhat1865
grubbyhat1865 (IP Logged)

15 January, 2014 17:07
Quote:
Which Tyler

Average salary = 110k

A good broad based summary I would say. John Afoa rumours state he is on 400K, Ryan Jones 200 a season. with regard to APs move to Bristol, the 3 year contract may have been a deal breaker.
A nice article from Nov 12 is here
When it comes to France Top class such as Jonny Wilkinson, Brian Habana and Jonny Sexton will be on between 500-520K per year.

Barters
King Curtis (IP Logged)

15 January, 2014 18:45
Rugby Paper reported that Perenise was on 280k at Bristol. Seems a lot for him.

hipster1676
hipster1676 (IP Logged)

15 January, 2014 20:27
Quote:
King Curtis

Cracking deal for AP if that's true. THP however is one of the best paid positions in the team/club

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)

15 January, 2014 20:35
Quote:
King Curtis

Wow.

MESSAGES->author
TCM2007 (IP Logged)

15 January, 2014 21:26
Quote:
Which Tyler

Average salary = 110k

Of course, not everyone spends up to the cap, but still have approximately the same size squad; hell, I'd be surprised if the likes of Worcester and Newcastle are spending half the cap

Cap's over 5m now with the marquee etc.

I suspect there's a big difference between the mean salary and the median salary,

Stuart

Former ed.

SteveCh
SteveCh (IP Logged)

16 January, 2014 09:01
Leicester's board commented during the last game of last season that Stringer was available at 40pa when he came to us on the original short term contract. Suspect he'd doing better than that now but probably less than the mean of 80-90K.

he is and remains good value for his experience and mentoring of the younger generation. I hope he's offered a deal that's fair and reasonable (in both party's eyes) and stays another season or 2.

P G Tips
P G Tips (IP Logged)

16 January, 2014 12:22
At the Academy forum at Farleigh House a year ago we were told that Academy salaries up to 30K per year are outside the Salary Cap. Anything paid to Acaedemy members over that sum does count in the cap.

the average AP salary was given as 81K.
Given WT's logic above, that leaves room for high earners on 150K+ (up to maybe 250K/300K Max for the global stars)- for every one of whom there is likely to be a"squad member" or two on 45-60K.

PG

guernseyfan
guernseyfan (IP Logged)

16 January, 2014 13:30
And of course top round ball players earn these amounts per week!

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

16 January, 2014 13:35
I'm not convinced earn is the right word.

guernseyfan
guernseyfan (IP Logged)

16 January, 2014 15:26
Extort?

annie blackthorn
annie blackthorn (IP Logged)

16 January, 2014 16:21
NOpe.
That is their market value.
Football and their players 'income'cannot be compared in any way to other professional sports. They are in a league (sic) of their own.

Several years ago, I remember that 80k was minimum for a bog standard PL rugby player and up to 150k for top say 100. No doubt if they get a 3 year contract this could be variable. If, however, they get to international levels, vast amounts can be made an salted away for their retirement. Isn't it still everytime they play they get 10k, and they get a 100k annual retainer for being in the EPS??? I also know but no, the figures that a Lions Tour can be rewarded quite handsomely?

Sorry if these figures cause consternation amongst some lurkers! Always the way with discussion of how much someone gets paid, there is always some idiot who gets more than you, and some sucker who didn't or doesn't know.

Adoptee for 2017/18 James Phillips - newly arrived and bringing a wealth of experience in the Prem!

malco
malco (IP Logged)

17 January, 2014 08:52
Mamuka Gorgodze has just signed for Toulon on a four year deal for 36,000 Euros a month!

grubbyhat1865

17 January, 2014 11:03
The salary cap for an Academy is 200K. Additional players can be signed to cover players injured for 12 weeks or more, however the maximum amount that can be spent on salaries for injury replacements is 400K (the player can stay at the club until the end of the season, even after the injured player has returned), add the 8 x 30k Academy credit for players who have come through the academy and you are looking at over 5 Million for salaries.

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)

17 January, 2014 11:11
Quote:
malco
Mamuka Gorgodze has just signed for Toulon on a four year deal for 36,000 Euros a month!

That joke of a club signed him back in November.

grubbyhat1865

17 January, 2014 11:15
EPS payments
Although the official details of payments to the EPS squad are confidential it is widely reported that the new deal, struck last year, sees each of the 23 match day squad get 7K for playing, 7K for image rights and 1K for training. So 15K per match. The bonus pot for winning the 2015WC is 5 million compared to 500K for the grand slam.

Old Bath Tub
Old Bath Tub (IP Logged)

17 January, 2014 11:38
Quote:
King Curtis

Does seem a lot, more realistic to think of that figure for the 3 year contract possibly ?

Brian4455
Bri (IP Logged)

17 January, 2014 13:17
It'll be around 200,000 a year imho.

MESSAGES->author
TCM2007 (IP Logged)

17 January, 2014 13:36
Bristol will have to pay over the odds.

Stuart

Former ed.

Bath Supporter Jack

17 January, 2014 13:42
Exactly would that be the "Bristol Downside Premium"

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

17 January, 2014 14:10
It might be 280k this year, uncapped, then considerably less in the subsequent two years that will be capped?

Barters
King Curtis (IP Logged)

18 January, 2014 10:02
Why would it be uncapped for a year?

MESSAGES->author
TCM2007 (IP Logged)

18 January, 2014 11:54
Because Bris will still be in the Championship...

Stuart

Former ed.

annie blackthorn
annie blackthorn (IP Logged)

18 January, 2014 12:21
Out of interest, what is the 'cap' for Championship sides, and do the same criteria apply?

Can't imagine some of the clubs in the bottom half could afford much, and in some ways the skill of their coaches in getting the best out of what they can accord is greater one could argue.

Adoptee for 2017/18 James Phillips - newly arrived and bringing a wealth of experience in the Prem!

MESSAGES->author
TCM2007 (IP Logged)

18 January, 2014 14:15
There is no cap for Championship sides.

Stuart

Former ed.

Bathovalballer
Bathovalballer (IP Logged)

18 January, 2014 21:31
I will get my size 11's out and sign for Bristol or any other Championship side that will pay me as much as I can grab for being a has been second/back row for a junior club and hope that I will never get a game before they rumble me as a free loader looking to enhance his pension!

It is madness that the Championship sides do not appear to have a cap. What happens if Bristol get promoted and have with their various signings exceed the cap? Are they allowed to continue in the Premiership or will some penalty be extracted from them.

If I was a multi millionaire who loves rugby, I would take over a struggling Championship side with a good fan base and who own their own ground, buy my way to promotion to the Premiership, and sit back and take the plaudits and profits for winning everything at senior level.

Could this happen?

MESSAGES->author
TCM2007 (IP Logged)

18 January, 2014 21:58
Unlikely that Bris would be paying over 5m in the Championship, but I would imagine they would have to reduce their squad to meet the cap if promoted.

Stuart

Former ed.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net