rugbyunion
Latest News:

The COML Message Board

The place for discussion, debate and nonsense about Bath Rugby.

Join our new Facebook Group today!

New visitors please read the house rules before posting

Test your prognostications at our Prediction League

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
MESSAGES->author
Robbinho (IP Logged)

Roko in Saxons squad
16 January, 2014 22:09
According to Robert Kitson in the Guardian

[www.theguardian.com]

Congratulations Roko!

Kidney Stone
Kidney Stone (IP Logged)

Re: Roko in Saxons squad
16 January, 2014 22:12
I cannot say that I am surprised. His defence was great today and going forward he has all of the attributes.

Congratulations Semesi

Sir Redneck
Sir Redneck (IP Logged)

16 January, 2014 22:15
Thoroughly deserved, good on him.

MESSAGES->author
Which Tyler (IP Logged)

16 January, 2014 22:26
If he feels English enough, then very well deserved. Well played Roko

A man who cannot change his mind, cannot change anythinghttp://www.rugbyrebels.co/board/download/file.php?id=377
RAEBURN SHIELD

CBW
CBW (IP Logged)

16 January, 2014 22:50
Sorry if I'm being ignorant but wasn't there talk of him being asked to play for fiji but saying no as he didn't feel ready for international rugby?

MESSAGES->author
Robbinho (IP Logged)

16 January, 2014 22:58
Think so, but full test level a few months ago to get a look with the Saxons now might be different.

Brian4455
Bri (IP Logged)

16 January, 2014 23:16
Great for him not so great for our home grown players,Is he English?
Residency ? I thought it was three years?hasnt he been living in Germany or Afganistan?
Lovely bloke,great player but I think he should play for his country where he would get plenty of caps instead of one for England.

MESSAGES->author
Robbinho (IP Logged)

16 January, 2014 23:26
Guess serving in the British Army counts as residency. If he's prepared to go to war for the country, I reckon he should be allowed to chase an egg for the country.

MESSAGES->author
TCM2007 (IP Logged)

16 January, 2014 23:28
He'll be qualified by residence - I believe British Army posted abroad count as being in the UK.

Stuart

Former ed.

MESSAGES->author
TCM2007 (IP Logged)

16 January, 2014 23:30
Quote:
Robbinho
If he's prepared to go to war for the country, I reckon he should be allowed to chase an egg for the country.

thumbs down

Stuart

Former ed.

Brian4455
Bri (IP Logged)

16 January, 2014 23:32
If I was living in a country and the only way to get a head I'd join a foreign army but I wouldn't be English.
I love the bloke he's so nice,humble and everything else but their is no way he's lived here for three years imho

MESSAGES->author
Robbinho (IP Logged)

16 January, 2014 23:39
He's been in the army since '07 and in sure the rfu will have made sure all the Ts are crossed, and the lower case Js dotted.

Brian4455
Bri (IP Logged)

16 January, 2014 23:41
Their is no one more pleased for him than I am but I'm not happy for English rugby.

Sir Redneck
Sir Redneck (IP Logged)

16 January, 2014 23:43
He's already served for 7 years (and counting) and much of the time will have been UK based. He's also a British tax payer.

Brian4455
Bri (IP Logged)

16 January, 2014 23:45
I thought it was you had to live here or do the Rfu make their own rules up?

MESSAGES->author
Robbinho (IP Logged)

16 January, 2014 23:47
As Redneck says, much of his time will have been in the UK. And I'm sure any eligibility would need to be IRB approved any how.

Brian4455
Bri (IP Logged)

16 January, 2014 23:47
Continuously ?

MESSAGES->author
Which Tyler (IP Logged)

16 January, 2014 23:51
Given that British army bases count as British soil, then yes, yes he has. 7 years us plenty long enough, risking your life for the country is plenty commitment enough.

Can we please have a thread here that doesn't desenb yet again I to Bri vs everyone else?

A man who cannot change his mind, cannot change anythinghttp://www.rugbyrebels.co/board/download/file.php?id=377
RAEBURN SHIELD

MESSAGES->author
TCM2007 (IP Logged)

16 January, 2014 23:52
Pretty sure that if you're in the Army you are considered to be resident in the UK from a rules and regs point of view, even if you are posted overseas.

That applies to tax etc, not just rugby.

Stuart

Former ed.

Brian4455
Bri (IP Logged)

16 January, 2014 23:52
Just asking the question

MESSAGES->author
Rawce (IP Logged)

16 January, 2014 23:53
Happy days. Great news for Roko, excellent 3rd post for Robbinho and it gets our troll's back up. Ideal.

ken_jnr
ken_jnr (IP Logged)

16 January, 2014 23:54
Very pleased for the man. By all accounts he is humble and a caring and on top of that, a fine winger easily deserving his spot on talent alone.

I do however feel a bit sorry for Fiji.

MESSAGES->author
TCM2007 (IP Logged)

16 January, 2014 23:54
Quote:
Bri
Just asking the question

And now ypu have the answer!

Stuart

Former ed.

Brian4455
Bri (IP Logged)

16 January, 2014 23:56
Quote:
TCM2007
Quote:
Bri
Just asking the question

And now ypu have the answer!

Not sure it's the right one Stu.

MESSAGES->author
Robbinho (IP Logged)

16 January, 2014 23:56
Great recognition of his development over a period of, what, 16 months? Clearly a very dedicated and disciplined guy, and got to give credit to Gary Gold for seeing his potential and to all the coaches for nurturing him. Credit all round, in fact.

b_i_g24
DA Bath (IP Logged)

16 January, 2014 23:58
Delighted for him. His balance when at full tilt is a pleasure to watch. Remarkable that he has only been pro for a little over 12 months.

MESSAGES->author
Robbinho (IP Logged)

16 January, 2014 23:58
Facts are true, whether you believe them or not Bri.

jonniejon
jonniejon (IP Logged)

16 January, 2014 23:59
Quote:
Which Tyler
Given that British army bases count as British soil, then yes, yes he has. 7 years us plenty long enough, risking your life for the country is plenty commitment enough.

Can we please have a thread here that doesn't desenb yet again I to Bri vs everyone else?

Enough said.... if someone can risk their life for our country then by god can they wear the rugby shirt of our country.

Congrats Roko

Brian4455
Bri (IP Logged)

17 January, 2014 00:00
Ok I don't agree with it but he's been selected so I hope he fills his outstanding potential for us

MESSAGES->author
liquidmonkey (IP Logged)

17 January, 2014 00:10
As an England supporter this is great news. I thought speculation had it that he wanted to play for Fiji rather than England. I'm delighted he has chosen England as he is could well be the best winger in the country right now.

The measure may be thought bold, but I am of the opinion the boldest are the safest.
Horatio Nelson

Adopted players:
2017-18 Freddie Burns
2016-17 Nick Auterac
2015-16 Guy Mercer
2014-15 Juan Pablo Orlandi
2015-16 Guy Mercer

MESSAGES->author
Boy (IP Logged)

17 January, 2014 00:10
Congratulations to Roko. The thought of him at the Olympics in 2016 is an intriguing one.

Lost Soul
Lost Soul (IP Logged)

17 January, 2014 00:11
if he is willing to fight, be potentially maimed for life protecting our freedom, then as far as I am concerned he has the right to play Rugby for the UK as well.

But............ I do have one interesting question, could he play for Scotland, Wales or Ireland as they are also part of the UK, last time I checked?

MESSAGES->author
Robbinho (IP Logged)

17 January, 2014 00:16
Might depend where he was based, or it might be that being in the British Army gives you the choice. Bit like Budge Poutney playing for Scotland because his gran was born in the Channel Islands. Ish.

MESSAGES->author
Boy (IP Logged)

17 January, 2014 00:35
Quote:
Robbinho
Bit like Budge Poutney

But with (presumably) more testicles.

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

17 January, 2014 02:54
His gran?

J A Bandy
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

17 January, 2014 05:32
What is his current situation with the British army? Has he now left to concentrate on rugby?

Brian4455
Bri (IP Logged)

17 January, 2014 06:06
He's still a serving British soldier.

OBinexile
OBinexile (IP Logged)

17 January, 2014 06:07
Ken Jnr,
As I've said before, I don't think you need to feel sorry for Fiji rugby - no shortage of wingers there - many of whom are playing at a higher standard in the Heineken Cup and/or Superugby.

OBinExile

Rolfs_Cartoon_Club
@Hydor18 (IP Logged)

17 January, 2014 06:08
He's still in the army, the Black Watch, interestingly which raises more questions as to whether he could be considered Scottish as well as English.

I love Roko. He plays every game as if it's his last and has that little something that makes you sit up in your seat whenever he touches the ball. It was a stroke of genius by GG in signing him, and he's risen from a sturdy squad man to an assured first-teamer ahead of the likes of Biggs, Ringo and Woodburn.

However, like Bri I'm of the opinion that you need to have some English blood in you to play for England. Failing that, a stay here longer than three years. It won't stope feeling chuffed for Roko, though. Well done, mate!

MESSAGES->author
Which Tyler (IP Logged)

17 January, 2014 07:00
He's still been here for 7 years, that's plenty surely?

Yes, ideally I'd see the residency requirement increased, IMO it needs to be longer than a standard single contract, and longer than a single RWC cycle. 50 month residency would get my vote, and Roko's fgot that covered

RAEBURN SHIELD

P G Tips
P G Tips (IP Logged)

17 January, 2014 07:36
RGOIUG Club

The Royal Scots Dragoon Guards (Tanks) not The Black Watch (Infantry).

PG

dr.bath1865
dr.bath1865 (IP Logged)

17 January, 2014 07:44
Absolutely terrific news. Well deserved for how far he has come....and it will be tremendously exciting to see how far he can go.

Well done Roko. Brilliant.

MESSAGES->author
Rampant (IP Logged)

17 January, 2014 07:59
Dammit! That's another try scoring machine that Scotland have let slip through our fingers. His brother is in the Black Watch, we'll probably get him instead..

MESSAGES->author
woodpecker (IP Logged)

17 January, 2014 08:46
I was a bit ignorant of why a Fijian would even be in the British army. Looked it up, they have served since the second world war and according to a bit of data from 2009, there are over 2000 Fijians in the British army.

Fiji only gained independence from UK in 1970.

All things considered I think he qualifies pretty well, more than most of the other ones who turn up, play rugby for three years and get to play for England.

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

17 January, 2014 09:09
Saxons doesn't count as a cap does it? So he's not fully committed to England yet? He could play for Fiji? Is that right?

Now we live in a world where having passports from multiple countries is not uncommon, language barriers falling, the ability to legally get a job as easily in Italy as England and it's quicker to get to Paris than the north of England the notion of nationalism is getting somewhat dated.

Brian4455
Bri (IP Logged)

17 January, 2014 09:11
Once he's played for Saxons he can't play for his country Fiji

Barters
King Curtis (IP Logged)

17 January, 2014 09:17
Quote:
Bri
Once he's played for Saxons he can't play for his country Fiji

I think you mean:

"Once he has played for Saxons he can't play for anyone other than England, which will be his country."

You seem to make out as if the RFU are enslaving him and forcing him to play, he has obviously chosen to do this, fair play to him.

Sir Redneck
Sir Redneck (IP Logged)

17 January, 2014 09:39
Quote:
woodpecker
I was a bit ignorant of why a Fijian would even be in the British army. Looked it up, they have served since the second world war and according to a bit of data from 2009, there are over 2000 Fijians in the British army.
Fiji only gained independence from UK in 1970.

All things considered I think he qualifies pretty well, more than most of the other ones who turn up, play rugby for three years and get to play for England.

Absolutely right Woodpecker. I served with many Fijians, Gurkhas, West Indians etc and all of them to a man/woman, are extremely proud to be in HM Armed Forces and would lay down their lives for Queen and Country. His selection obviously divides opinion but it's fair to say that many people born on these shores wouldn't be prepared to do that.

MESSAGES->author
BathRugbyRM (IP Logged)

Well done Roko!! Thoroughly deserved. Next step, replacing Ashton in the EPS.

MESSAGES->author
Boy (IP Logged)

IRB rules are that once you've played either for a country's first team or their nominated second team (England Saxons, Irish Wolfhounds, Scotland A, etc.) you're tied to that country.

It gets a little confusing when a nation doesn't have a clear second team, hence the situation with Steven Shingler a couple of years back who had represented Wales U20 but wanted to switch allegiance to Scotland. As Wales don't have an A team, their U20 team was their nominated second team so he couldn't change.

MESSAGES->author
CoochieCoo (IP Logged)

17 January, 2014 09:45
Congrats Roko and well deserved. My feelings are if a person is prepared to make the ultimate sacrifice for the Country he/she should be able to represent the country.

http://zdgzqa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1p7Mwi7pLXeM89TY2KFdDQ-UUDGSv1FKNdhYdrW-koAuRN3tsqCPfE3onFxuO-3cZ0057Tom1uJai3vjkz3dvY_Q/1998%20Euro%20Champs.jpg http://zdgzqa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pFul9UAV5zEXOzeRc1kmmlgDKXTYTIlTnGoQzYelH6KzdCeU-exN0IGo74QN2OGvlSoEiVjzAESvHx9BFlBsNFA/Bath%202008.jpg

HugoBoss
HugoBoss (IP Logged)

17 January, 2014 09:48
I personally have a few question marks regarding his residency, eligibility for England, but am happy none the less that his remarkable rise and development through professional rugby is being acknowledged. HOWEVER...I think he truely should plump for Fiji purely because Lancaster seems utterly unable to start players who either dont play for Sarries, or sadly, are still a "name" as opposed to selection based on form. True, he may never get to EPS though he deserves to, but if he did I think he would be wasting his time there. I think even Watson will struggle to appear despite his scintillating form, so what hope does Roko have? Perhaps Ive veered off track here, and let me be clear, this is not a comment about Roko, he deserves all the plaudits he's getting, its a dig aimed at the RFU getting players hopes up!

FairShout
FairShout (IP Logged)

17 January, 2014 09:51
Congratulations Roko
I am honoured that you are prepared to fight and defend our country and proud that you may be selected to play rugby and represent one of those countries (England) on a rugby pitch

WEll Done and much deserved

P G Tips
P G Tips (IP Logged)

17 January, 2014 09:55
HG

It might be worth waiting to see who Bomber picks for the first 6N match before concluding that he does not pick on form.

This is a new season, with some exciting new introductions to the squad, so he may yet surprise you.

Back to topic - well done Roko. really deserved. I have no problem with his choice -or the RFUs as he has satisfied the criteria, although given his development in a short time, I think Fiji may be disappointed.

PG

MESSAGES->author
BathRugbyRM (IP Logged)

17 January, 2014 09:59
Antony Watson and Roko are just what England need. We are lacking players that can create something from nothing.

It's time for Lancaster to grow a pair and start taking some risks.

10. Ford
11. Ant Watson
12. Kyle
13. Manu
14. Roko
15. Mike Brown

No Bias there at all...

MESSAGES->author
Robbinho (IP Logged)

17 January, 2014 10:04
Quote:
hasta
His gran?

Yup, as weird as it sounds

Quote:
Wikipedia
Pountney was eligible for Scotland by virtue of a grandmother born in the Channel Islands; as a dependency of the Crown outside of the United Kingdom, people from the Islands are eligible to represent whichever of the Home Nations they choose.

MESSAGES->author
TCM2007 (IP Logged)

17 January, 2014 10:08
Bri, where do you stand on Matt Banahan - he's not English?

Stuart

Former ed.

Sir Redneck
Sir Redneck (IP Logged)

17 January, 2014 10:14
And Alex Corbisiero and Lee Dickson?

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

17 January, 2014 10:15
I don't think its wise to stand on Matt Banahan.

MESSAGES->author
woodpecker (IP Logged)

17 January, 2014 10:17
Its pretty good if you are trying to reach something from the top shelf at Ikea

hipster1676
hipster1676 (IP Logged)

17 January, 2014 10:26
Quote:
Bri
Ok I don't agree with it but he's been selected so I hope he fills his outstanding potential for us

Who cares that you don't agree! It's not all about YOUR opinion is it.

MESSAGES->author
Kim (IP Logged)

17 January, 2014 10:51
Quote:
BathRugbyRM
Antony Watson and Roko are just what England need. We are lacking players that can create something from nothing.

10. Ford
11. Ant Watson
12. Kyle
13. Manu
14. Roko
15. Mike Brown

No Bias there at all...

To be really biased You missed out JJ here :}

Brian4455
Bri (IP Logged)

17 January, 2014 10:57
Quote:
hipster1676
Quote:
Bri

Who cares that you don't agree! It's not all about YOUR opinion is it.

A bit OTT? But you haven't said if you agree with me.

MESSAGES->author
Griff (IP Logged)

17 January, 2014 11:04
Well done Roko well deserved. IRB regs state he can play for England, so therefore good luck to him and Burt for adding him to the squad. New Zealand are past masters at raiding the Pacific isle for their international players, didn't do them any harm!!

David Sisi Adopted player 2016/17

"You're going to need a bigger boat"

Bathovalballer
Bathovalballer (IP Logged)

17 January, 2014 11:05
I thought that Roko was a clas apart last night! Firstly his defence is rock solid and his chasing and harrying of the ball catchers was exceptional. He was lack a wrecking ball with bodies going in all directions.

The way he finished his two tries was sheer class and timed step and pace were top draw.

When he runs into traffic he reminds me of Jim Fallon, a wing of some substance and strength for Bath in the seventies who used to carry defenders over the line with him. If anything, Roko is better because he has more pace.

Of the wingers who are fit and available to England he has got to be in the top 5, and on form could sneak into the top side. He is better than Ashton (many are better than Ashton in my view) and certainly he no doubt is awaiting the chance to show his paces in the up coming big games.

As for being an Englishman, anyone who is prepared to fight and put his life on the line for his country of adoption, has IMO more right than many to represent it on a sporting field.

Very well done Roko and fully deserved and I hope he can break through and become a full international.

MESSAGES->author
woodpecker (IP Logged)

17 January, 2014 11:10
Does he just get paid his army salary?

reme1865
reme1865 (IP Logged)

17 January, 2014 11:16
On the Offy now:

[www.bathrugby.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 17/01/2014 11:17 by reme1865.

MESSAGES->author
Kim (IP Logged)

17 January, 2014 11:34
Quote:
woodpecker

Had a chat with Roko on this subject, as I was based in the same location as him in Germany, yes they are still paying him and his accommodation, in his own words hes living the dream. Top man! Best of luck to him.

grubbyhat1865
grubbyhat1865 (IP Logged)

17 January, 2014 11:43
Roco comes from a family who have served in the British Army for generations. He been in the Army for 7 years and has qualified under IRB regulations to play for the country he has opted defend, he is proud to serve in the British Army. He has seen active service in Afghanistan and I find it very difficult to understand those who believe that that should disqualify him from IRB qualifications, as it "interrupts" his continual residence.
He has stated on a number of occasions that he is a soldier first and foremost and intends to continue his military career after rugby. He does a lot of work with the various charities that help injured servicemen.
Personally speaking I think he is more qualified to play for England than many.
I wish him the best of luck and many congratulation's and look forward to seeing him at castle grim Saturday week.

gloucesterwatcher
gloucesterwatcher (IP Logged)

17 January, 2014 11:50
+1

Tiger in the Bath
Tiger in the Bath (IP Logged)

17 January, 2014 11:54
Quote:
BathRugbyRM

10. Ford
11. Ant Watson
12. Kyle
13. Manu
14. Roko
15. Mike Brown

No Bias there at all...

To be fair to Lancaster, the one thing he doesn't lack is courage in his selections. From the off when he was appointed he has brought in new and exciting young players, and also stuck with players that he thinks are right despite many thinking otherwise.

Also, I'm sure Manu will be straight back in the team as soon as he is fit.

Finally, a centre partnership between Manu and Kyle would leak like a sieve as neither of them are especially noted for their defensive organisational skills. Thats why JJ is a fixture for Bath, why Tony Allen makes such a huge difference at Tigers and why Barritt has been a fixture for England when fit

MESSAGES->author
woodpecker (IP Logged)

17 January, 2014 12:04
Quote:
Kim
Quote:
woodpecker

Had a chat with Roko on this subject, as I was based in the same location as him in Germany, yes they are still paying him and his accommodation, in his own words hes living the dream. Top man! Best of luck to him.

I hope Bath give him a bit more too! Especially now he is getting this recognition

MESSAGES->author
Kim (IP Logged)

17 January, 2014 12:35
+1

hipster1676
hipster1676 (IP Logged)

17 January, 2014 12:42
Quote:
Kim
Quote:
BathRugbyRM

10. Ford
11. Ant Watson
12. Kyle
13. Manu
14. Roko
15. Mike Brown

No Bias there at all...

To be really biased You missed out JJ here :}

Even though he's a relative "novice" to the game i'd pick him in front of Ashton every day of the week!

MESSAGES->author
Kim (IP Logged)

17 January, 2014 12:52
Quote:
reme1865
On the Offy now:
[www.bathrugby.com]

Good to see another REME poster. Always adds class to any conversation!(Sm100)

Barters
King Curtis (IP Logged)

17 January, 2014 13:14
Obviously he's better than Jim Fallon!

MESSAGES->author
TCM2007 (IP Logged)

17 January, 2014 13:33
Quote:
Bathovalballer

When he runs into traffic he reminds me of Jim Fallon, a wing of some substance and strength for Bath in the seventies

God, we're not that old. Jim Fallon left Bath in the 90s.

Stuart

Former ed.

MESSAGES->author
woodpecker (IP Logged)

17 January, 2014 13:46
Just looking at that list, surely even the most one eyed Leicester fan would think Bendy is better than Tait?

Moggie
Beer Belly (IP Logged)

17 January, 2014 13:59
Quote:
Wiki
people from the Islands are eligible to represent whichever of the Home Nations they choose

Damn - did we let Boyo "Banahan-The-Juggernaut" Bach slip through our fingers?

Decidedly untidy there!

(Sm63)

J A Bandy
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

17 January, 2014 14:26
I'm still puzzled. When he first played for Bath he was strictly limited as to appearances in order to fulfill his army commitments. Now he seems to be available whenever required. How does that work out?

MESSAGES->author
TCM2007 (IP Logged)

17 January, 2014 14:28
He's full time with us. Presumably on long term secondment

Stuart

Former ed.

Jaydeeone
Jaydeeone (IP Logged)

17 January, 2014 15:04
Great news and thoroughly deserved. On the residency issue, his situation is very different to previous 'controversial' eligibility criteria. It's rightly treated the way it is. If you're sat in a British tank, in a British military uniform, risking your life in a warzone then there shouldn't even be a doubt, which there isn't (unless you're Bri).

MESSAGES->author
hemington (IP Logged)

17 January, 2014 15:09
If your parents and even grandparents were born in Country A you can play for that country even if you have never lived a day there. Seems Roko has made a decision which country he wants to play and die for - good enough for me

grubbyhat1865

17 January, 2014 15:11
How long did Lance Corporal Chris Budgen juggle his army career with Professional Rugby?

J A Bandy
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

17 January, 2014 18:27
I'm afraid I remain puzzled though it seems I am alone in that as everyone else is more interested in the residency issue which seems to have been more than satisfied. If Roko is going to have a professional rugby career at the highest level why are the British army prepared to allow him to be in their employment, although presumably with no pay, for quite possibly the next 10 or so years whilst not undertaking any active service? I agree with all the congratulations which are fully deserved but can't understand his current status in the army.

cb2
cb2 (IP Logged)

17 January, 2014 18:44
Until we have a global season, many of the great athletes of the Islands will be lost to clubs and other countries. A Pacific Island side at full strength would be a match for all but it never happens. Brazil still put out a top football side with most of their players playing abroad. The IRB has failed in this area.

As for Roko - good luck. Good enough for our army, good enough for our rugby team.

MESSAGES->author
TCM2007 (IP Logged)

17 January, 2014 19:19
The Army has invested in him, they will get him back, meantime it's excellent PR and probably good for morale to see "one of theirs" operating in a civilan world at a level of top excellence.

Stuart

Former ed.

grubbyhat1865

17 January, 2014 20:23
The Army are a constituent body of the RFU and as such "supply" players to the higher echelons of Rugby and the National Team, far better to let a player play for a professional rugby club than leave the Army. How many tries will he be knocking in at the next Army Navy game?
If he is still being paid by the MOD, which I would expect, I would also expect Bath to repay part or all of his salary.

Rolfs_Cartoon_Club
@Hydor18 (IP Logged)

17 January, 2014 21:21
Rodber, Hull, Underwood, Ryan, Budgen, Lewsey, Wainwright. There are loads of examples of serving members of the armed forces playing rugby.

HonkyTonk
HonkyTonk (IP Logged)

17 January, 2014 21:38
Quins fan here.

Happy about this, I think the guy is a beast and would love to see him on the wing for England. Well done Roko.

m0rris
m0rris (IP Logged)

18 January, 2014 00:11
The army places fitness at the heart of things, people who play sport to a high standard are attractive to the army and consequently the army is prepared to make considerable sacrifices for those who wish to continue their sporting career and join up... It attracts many people from amateur sports, boosts the profile of the army's sports teams and is good PR. In the olympics there were heaps of servicemen winning medals, to get to the required standard they'll have been training in paid time, Roko is no different really...

I'm pretty happy he's made this decision, it has clearly come after a lot of thought and he thoroughly deserves the chance. Good luck Roko, do us proud!

annie blackthorn
annie blackthorn (IP Logged)

18 January, 2014 12:55
Well done Roko!
We spotted him when he played his first games for United. Was amused at the time when my neighbour told us he was a tank driver in the Army, as he scythed unhesitatingly through the opposition. Hope you get a chance to shine in the Saxons. Let's hope he returns uninjured as he is 'one to watch' for Bath!! Love to know who spotted him (as n scouted) and gave him a chance at Bath?

Adoptee for 2017/18 James Phillips - newly arrived and bringing a wealth of experience in the Prem!

Brian4455
Bri (IP Logged)

18 January, 2014 12:59
Bath were not the only club after him but we were the lucky one he choose because of local army bases I was told.

Brian4455
Bri (IP Logged)

18 January, 2014 13:04
Quote:
annie blackthorn
Well done Roko!

Love to know who spotted him (as n scouted) and gave him a chance at Bath?

Mike Ford apparently Annie,

[www.espn.co.uk]

AlbertIremonger
AlbertIremonger (IP Logged)

18 January, 2014 13:34
He played for the Army against Newcastle when Gold and Ford were there, see here

He then had a trial with Newcastle in September 2012, see here before joining us.

john fox
johnnyf (IP Logged)

18 January, 2014 13:44
Good article on the Beeb website by that other old Englishman Francois Louw - "He is a massive find for us".
Now that's a good mixture of cultures.

Brian4455
Bri (IP Logged)

18 January, 2014 13:45
Give it another 6 months and Louw will qualify,somehow.

MESSAGES->author
Boy (IP Logged)

18 January, 2014 13:54
Do you think Roko should be allowed in the army then, Bri? Trying to establish where the line is in your eyes.

MESSAGES->author
TCM2007 (IP Logged)

18 January, 2014 14:14
Quote:
Boy
Do you think Roko should be allowed in the army then, Bri? Trying to establish where the line is in your eyes.

Let's not make this a thread about Bri, it's about Roko.

Stuart

Former ed.

Brian4455
Bri (IP Logged)

18 January, 2014 14:15
Quote:
Boy

Of coarse,anyone that joins to get a better life for themselves and its a way out of poverty as long as they realise what could happen if you take the Kings shilling.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net