rugbyunion
Latest News:

The COML Message Board

The place for discussion, debate and nonsense about Bath Rugby.

Join our new Facebook Group today!

New visitors please read the house rules before posting

Test your prognostications at our Prediction League

by
by (IP Logged)

Injury report before Bristol
09 January, 2017 20:49
[www.bathchronicle.co.uk]

Not looking great :/

Garvey and Ellis both out with concussion.

Attwood still out with an inflamed knee - 1 or 2 weeks away.

Faletau not expected to be ready before the 6N - rumoured in the rugby paper he was only 2 weeks away.

Denton should be back to running in 2 weeks, back in time for 6N.

Ewels, Batty, Auterac and Khan are back in selection.

Looking a bit light in the pack this week.

bathhawk
bathhawk (IP Logged)

Re: Injury report before Bristol
09 January, 2017 21:59
So with Garvey and Ellis injured that would mean we can expect to see Guy Mercer at 6 or maybe Ewels goes to 6 and Stooke starts in the second row?

MESSAGES->author
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

09 January, 2017 22:06
I guess ewels, z Mercer, grant, g Mercer or Levi Douglas have to cover the 3 positions. When is sisi back? Also it doesn't mention louw, I guess his injury wasn't too bad last weekend?

adopted players: J.Williams 16/17, J.Lewis 17/18

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/01/2017 22:07 by BathMatt53.

Jonny Fantastic
Jonny Fantastic (IP Logged)

09 January, 2017 22:22
Read somewhere that Louw's injury was simply a case of cramp.

Sounds like from the injury list we are gonna need him to get them turnovers!

Bristol seemed to have turned a corner so as long we can keep the likes of Woodward, Varndell and Eadie quiet we might be alright, here's hoping!

by
by (IP Logged)

09 January, 2017 22:26
I recall reading somewhere that it was just cramp for Louw.

Sisi is back - played 60 minutes with London Scottish the other week, could see him on the bench?

Being pessimistic, one could assume that Charteris won't be fit, meaning we'd have to start Ewels and Sisi in the row.

by
by (IP Logged)

09 January, 2017 22:29
Woodward got concussed against Saints on Sunday towards the end of the match.

Its a minimum 6 day rest following concussion(?) So he's definitely not going to be available with the shorter turnaround.

centenary stand jim

09 January, 2017 23:18
Err I imagine pretty much all the team that has played the last three prem games will be tested by bris..
Would not be surprised to see no Woodward varndell hurrell palamo cliff eadie Robinson tuohy Glynn Cortes bevington Hawkins ... They need a rest

Plus gav is still out as is crane and pisi I think banned so expect something like:

Tonga Jones peri nese Evans nemzadse fisher Phillips lam Mathewson searle/sheedy arscott Tovey Lemi amesbury j Williams

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

09 January, 2017 23:38
It's an interesting one for Bris. Their current improved form is based off a couple of good Little Cup wins to start with. Two wins for them might well see them through as group winners. There's pointless cup action afterwards to rest players in. I wonder...

Bathovalballer
Bathovalballer (IP Logged)

10 January, 2017 00:04
Our forwards are really going to have to muscle up as Bristol offer a huge physical challenge and without the likes of Attwood, Garvey, Faletau, Ellis etc. we are going to have a real fight on our hands. We cannot afford lightweights like Guy Mercer in such an environment and hope Sisi is fit.

I saw them score two long range mauled tries against Exeter's best 8 earlier this season and pushed them in the scrums as well.

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

10 January, 2017 00:09
Lacking our first choice players didn't hinder us earlier in the season so why should it now. The main thing is that whoever plays do so for 80 mins & don't cave in in the last quarter.

MESSAGES->author
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

10 January, 2017 09:17
Quote:
Bath Hammer
Lacking our first choice players didn't hinder us earlier in the season so why should it now. The main thing is that whoever plays do so for 80 mins & don't cave in in the last quarter.

I'm not sure that this is true BH - certainly in the Premiership game against them Olly Robinson totally outplayed Guy Mercer at 7. We got the result but were definitely hindered at the breakdown and only just sneaked it with them nearly scoring a try at the death. We were down to bare bones in the back that day but having Louw back would be a big help for this game.

adopted players: J.Williams 16/17, J.Lewis 17/18

westondave
WestonDave (IP Logged)

10 January, 2017 11:19
You can forget Sisi as he's not registered for the squad (unless the website is out of date). So looks like our backrow will have to come from Douglas, Louw, the two Mercers or Paul Grant.

Boldngrey
Boldngrey (IP Logged)

10 January, 2017 20:49
Quote:
Bathovalballer
Our forwards are really going to have to muscle up as Bristol offer a huge physical challenge and without the likes of Attwood, Garvey, Faletau, Ellis etc. we are going to have a real fight on our hands. We cannot afford lightweights like Guy Mercer in such an environment and hope Sisi is fit.
I saw them score two long range mauled tries against Exeter's best 8 earlier this season and pushed them in the scrums as well.

Yes ,but Exeter's fearsome 15 couldn't beat 14 Saracens.

Beergoggles
Beergoggles (IP Logged)

10 January, 2017 21:54
Come on, play the game BOB. Need to trott out the 'world class grunters' tag as the source of Bristol's huge physical challenge.

Mike the Taxi
Mike the Taxi (IP Logged)

11 January, 2017 20:17
Garvey now out with long-term injury according to Chron; can't link to it yet as 'page not found'

MESSAGES->author
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

11 January, 2017 20:20
3 months with neck injury. Boo

by
by (IP Logged)

11 January, 2017 21:34
That is very bad news - the first victim of the new tackle laws?

MESSAGES->author
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

11 January, 2017 22:09
Quote:
by
That is very bad news - the first victim of the new tackle laws?

That was Ellis 70 minutes before!

Bathovalballer

12 January, 2017 01:36
That is very bad news about Garvey. He has been far and away our stand out, consistent performer all season in the forwards and seemingly has been playing sides on his own, particularly in defending mauls where he is a real nuisance to the opposition.

Chance for another to step up, like Ellis, Ewells, Sisi and Zach Mercer. When is Denton due back? Oh Don't tell me, just before the 6 Nations.

MESSAGES->author
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

12 January, 2017 09:43
Wow, that doesn't sound great - not surprised it gave him (Garvey) a bit of a shock:

When I went down late in the game against Newcastle everyone assumed I had been knocked out or concussed. Basically, I had burst a disc in my neck. I had pins and needles in all four limbs, I was in shock and it felt really weird.

I thought: 'I've got to get back into the defensive line'. I went back onto one knee, but I couldn't use my leg.

The feeling finally came back to my legs and arms, but I was left with a burning sensation and numbness in one of my hands.

That's gradually settled down and it's just in my thumb now, but I'm going to need an operation.

gaz59
gaz59 (IP Logged)

12 January, 2017 09:43
Can't think that Denton will be straight back in the Scotland squad without some decent game time but the real concern for Garvs is that it is the adjacent disc to the one already operated with implant - at what point do you call it a day?

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

12 January, 2017 09:51
Quote:
gaz59
Can't think that Denton will be straight back in the Scotland squad without some decent game time but the real concern for Garvs is that it is the adjacent disc to the one already operated with implant - at what point do you call it a day?

Not sure I understand, he has an implanted disc then? Does that put him at increased risk?

MESSAGES->author
TCM2007 (IP Logged)

12 January, 2017 10:13
Awful news about Garvey. Let's all hope it's not career threatening. Gives some context to recent signings.

Stuart

Former ed.

MESSAGES->author

12 January, 2017 13:37
I broke my back when I was 21 and been in a wheelchair since. It's not something I would recommend (obviously)and a neck break is 100 times worse. He's been given a wake up call in my view and really needs to consider the remaining 60+ years hes' got to live, young family etc.

I know all rugby players consider the risks, but this is different he's got metalwork in his neck already.

I'd be sad to see him retire, I'd be even more sad if he got seriously hurt and could've avoided it.

gaz59
gaz59 (IP Logged)

12 January, 2017 13:45
Quote:
abendanon-anon-anon
I broke my back when I was 21 and been in a wheelchair since. It's not something I would recommend (obviously)and a neck break is 100 times worse. He's been given a wake up call in my view and really needs to consider the remaining 60+ years hes' got to live, young family etc.
I know all rugby players consider the risks, but this is different he's got metalwork in his neck already.

I'd be sad to see him retire, I'd be even more sad if he got seriously hurt and could've avoided it.

Wow, had no idea about that abendanon-anon-anon, all respect and to you mate and your sage words gain even more gravitas with that in mind

Bathovalballer

12 January, 2017 14:50
Very well said Gaz. Huge respect to Aben AA and your words definitely ring true with the added weight of your own brave personal experience.

I am sure after having spoken to Garv's and his lovely lady earlier in the season with their child, he will obviously do what is right for him and his family first above all.

Get well soon big man and lets hope everything comes good for you in the short and longer term.

Boldngrey
Boldngrey (IP Logged)

12 January, 2017 20:58
I spent many, many seasons as a front row forward not caring about a bit about my neck.

Now in my sixties I have all manner of nerve pain associated with it.

Compared with AbenAA I got off very lightly. He has my greatest sympathy.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net