rugbyunion
Latest News:

The COML Message Board

The place for discussion, debate and nonsense about Bath Rugby.

Join our new Facebook Group today!

New visitors please read the house rules before posting

Test your prognostications at our Prediction League

P G Tips
P G Tips (IP Logged)

Marler 6 Nations Doubt
11 January, 2017 10:51
Joe Marler believed to have fractured his leg. out of France match at least, maybe more.

A cap for Nathan Catt? Hope he can stay fit and fight off the challenge of Genge.

PG

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

Re: Marler 6 Nations Doubt
11 January, 2017 11:02
I have to say, I don't recall Marler, let alone Catt, putting in the kind of all-round performance that Genge produced against Wasps on Sunday. I'd be amazed if he doesn't leapfrog Catt. A back-up front-row of Genge, George, Sinckler would be some impact. But it's a big ask for Catt or Genge to start against France. If Eddie can pull this one off, then he can start writing his knighthood acceptance speech now.

HamishMilner
Big Dog (IP Logged)

11 January, 2017 11:08
I see Wasps Matt Mullan starting for England in Mako and Marler's absences. Personally I believe Genge would make the bench ahead of Catt for his explosive impact abilities but as always with England, it depends what Eddie is looking for and what we see isn't necessarily what he wants.

After all we all thought Roko was a shoe in to start in the AI's and he still picked Yarde repeatedly. Maybe this time it could benefit a Bath lad and whilst you'd see Genge as the explosive bench option he may prefer Catt who has a good skill set and solid all around game.

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

11 January, 2017 11:08
We already have too many players missing because of the 6N, we don't need to lose yet another.

Jack Wilson - Adopted player 2017/18

Bathovalballer
Bathovalballer (IP Logged)

11 January, 2017 11:10
Genge is an absolute brute and has the strength and the attitude to match. However, his experience of playing at the highest level could easily be exposed, as Manu Vanipola found out, against the gnarled old tough French props that they have in abundance.

He is in my view the potentially best loosehead in England but not this season. In many ways, Catty could do a better job and in my opinion should start, with Genge coming on for the last quarter of the game.

P G Tips
P G Tips (IP Logged)

11 January, 2017 12:33
OB

"We already have too many players missing because of the 6N, we don't need to lose yet another."

In the short term we would be stretched, yes. However, it would give one of our front five experience of a higher level of intensity - a good thing medium to long term. We are not yet at the stage where we can guarantee to be competitive against packs from Saracens, Wasps and unfortunately, even Leicester.

Your view is a shortsighted one IMHO.

PG

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

11 January, 2017 14:20
Eddie Jones likes to harness players with a bit of bite to them (no Hartley pun intended). I think Genge would do well, he is some talent.

P G Tips
P G Tips (IP Logged)

11 January, 2017 14:27
Agree about Genge- a huge prospect. However, if fit, I agree with BOB that Eddie may prefer the all round steadiness of Catt when facing up to a French front row - with Genge to come on when the game is breaking up.

In the longer term, Genge is likely to have the stronger international career.

PG

Adi Nako
Adi Nako (IP Logged)

12 January, 2017 10:54
Considering Genge was snubbed not just from the recent Brighton training camp, but the 45 man EPS less than two weeks ago, he's got a mountain to climb in the next few weeks to displace Mullan and/or Catt.

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

12 January, 2017 11:17
Well he's scrambled up to base camp 3 now, because he's been called back to the squad I believe.

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)

12 January, 2017 11:25
Genge is a red card waiting to happen, he makes Hartley look like a wallflower.

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

12 January, 2017 11:32
Quote:
ballsout

Hmmmm - and Hartley is a highly successful captain of his country. Sounds like Eddie's kind of guy all over.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

12 January, 2017 11:36
Quote:
ballsout

well you say that but actually he seems to do OK for cards. Cole seems to get more yellows than him - I would be able to check whether this is my perception or fact if I knew how.

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)

12 January, 2017 11:41
His off-field antics are pretty grim. Oh and the Bristol squad wanted him out, hence his loan and eventual move to Leicester.

Rolfs_Cartoon_Club
@Hydor18 (IP Logged)

12 January, 2017 11:47
Can anyone explain what Genge did to make him so unpopular at Briz? Was it having the ability to read or write joined up?

by
by (IP Logged)

12 January, 2017 11:54
Wasn't there two rumours why he left Bristol.

One was that he had a fight with a player or coach, the other was that he got into trouble outside of rugby

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

12 January, 2017 11:54
Quote:
ballsout
His off-field antics are pretty grim. Oh and the Bristol squad wanted him out, hence his loan and eventual move to Leicester.

That's as may be but on the field he seems to do OK for cards which is why I wondered why you think that he is any more likely to get a red than any on the others?

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)

12 January, 2017 12:15
Quote:
@Hydor18
Can anyone explain what Genge did to make him so unpopular at Briz? Was it having the ability to read or write joined up?

I think you overestimate his abilities.

Quote:
by
Wasn't there two rumours why he left Bristol.
One was that he had a fight with a player or coach, the other was that he got into trouble outside of rugby

Or both

by
by (IP Logged)

12 January, 2017 12:37
In all fairness to Genge, you don't see him participate in off the ball niggles and lots of teams have been targeted him this season in an effort to wind him up without much success. Hes an abrasive player but the only illegal thing I've seen him do is put in a couple of late hits.

[sport.bt.com]

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

12 January, 2017 13:14
Young, extremely talented, sports-person playing in a position that requires you to be somewhat oblivious to pain, on record as saying "I wish that I had had the opportunity to be mentored when I was younger it would have helped with some silly behaviors and got me through some tough times", and "I had a tough start to life, rugby gave me focus and a passion to succeed" in fan-of-other-club-thinks-he's-a-bit-of-a-kn0b revelation.

Get over yourself ballsout.

Bathovalballer
Bathovalballer (IP Logged)

12 January, 2017 14:31
Those of us of a certain age remember when Cooch first joined Bath and some of the scrapes he got himself into, on and off the field. He was the architypical Bristol City fan who used to frequent the Robins pub for some Natch before going off to 'engage with' opposition fans.

Also, if you read his auto biography, he talks about his first game against Pontypool and their famous front row. In the first scrum, his man hood was taken into hand shall we say, and the immortal question was asked of him by Bobby Windsor 'We are not going to have any trouble are we Gareth?.' This was because of his reputation going before him.

Bath rugby under Jack Rowell helped turn Cooch's life around and I am sure Genge will come good in time. I don't think Genge is any worse than Gareth C and he has the talent to become one of England's best looseheads for sometime.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net