rugbyunion
Latest News:

The COML Message Board

The place for discussion, debate and nonsense about Bath Rugby.

Join our new Facebook Group today!

New visitors please read the house rules before posting

Test your prognostications at our Prediction League

Bathovalballer
Bathovalballer (IP Logged)

Tight Head Prop.
11 January, 2017 16:54
Just read on another thread that Paul Hill might be leaving Saints. If this is true, we should go after him with everything we have got. He is English qualified, young (about 22 IIRR) and was a great star for England Under 20's at the junior World Cup. Think he was in the same side as Jack Walker and I believe was in the Leeds Academy.

He is very powerful but also mobile, exactly what we need.

HamishMilner
Big Dog (IP Logged)

Re: Tight Head Prop.
11 January, 2017 16:59
Wouldn't say no!

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

11 January, 2017 17:06
Is he immune to injury?

MESSAGES->author
CoochieCoo (IP Logged)

11 January, 2017 17:06
What is his grunt reading on a scale of 1-10? winking smiley

http://zdgzqa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1p7Mwi7pLXeM89TY2KFdDQ-UUDGSv1FKNdhYdrW-koAuRN3tsqCPfE3onFxuO-3cZ0057Tom1uJai3vjkz3dvY_Q/1998%20Euro%20Champs.jpg http://zdgzqa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pFul9UAV5zEXOzeRc1kmmlgDKXTYTIlTnGoQzYelH6KzdCeU-exN0IGo74QN2OGvlSoEiVjzAESvHx9BFlBsNFA/Bath%202008.jpg

Rokoholic
Rokoholic (IP Logged)

11 January, 2017 17:08
Would be a handy signing. It would leave us with at least two quality long-term options in each front row position.

LH: Catt/Auterac
HK: Walker/Dunn
TH: Thomas/Hill

If our recruitment this winter is going to be with an eye on the future, he would certainly fit the bill.

MESSAGES->author
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

11 January, 2017 17:38
Yes I mentioned this on the Underhill thread - him and younger (Ethan) Waller. Hill off to Sale though by the sounds of it. Was a good prospect but seems to have drifted off the radar a bit more recently? Maybe SaintEd can tell us more.

by
by (IP Logged)

11 January, 2017 17:43
Good around the park, much better player than Brookes IMO. Does a bit more of the unseen work compared to Thomas. Would take him in a heart beat!

However didn't Malco already say that we've lined up a big name SH TH.

Huxster
Huxster (IP Logged)

11 January, 2017 18:01
Excellent a young eglish porp

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v654/Huxster8/Huxster6.jpg

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

11 January, 2017 18:12
Quote:
Huxster
Excellent a young eglish porp

Excellent, not only a "porp" but a variation an "eglish porp"

MESSAGES->author
CoochieCoo (IP Logged)

11 January, 2017 18:26
A classic from the early Ere lexicon! winking smiley

http://zdgzqa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1p7Mwi7pLXeM89TY2KFdDQ-UUDGSv1FKNdhYdrW-koAuRN3tsqCPfE3onFxuO-3cZ0057Tom1uJai3vjkz3dvY_Q/1998%20Euro%20Champs.jpg http://zdgzqa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pFul9UAV5zEXOzeRc1kmmlgDKXTYTIlTnGoQzYelH6KzdCeU-exN0IGo74QN2OGvlSoEiVjzAESvHx9BFlBsNFA/Bath%202008.jpg

MESSAGES->author
BathSalmon (IP Logged)

11 January, 2017 18:31
Didn't Hill recently sign a new contract in the summer of 2016?

MESSAGES->author
Miles Offside (IP Logged)

11 January, 2017 22:31
What is wrong with the Kane-Train?

(Sm109)

Bathovalballer

12 January, 2017 01:54
Nothing wrong with P-N Miles, but he is not in Hill's class.

Top drawer tight head prop prospect who had an excellent and effective Junior World Cup where he was often the difference in the sides.

He is 21 and will only get better and stronger. Go get him Bruce, you know this boy is worth it.

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

12 January, 2017 04:34
Quote:
Bathovalballer
Just read on another thread that Paul Hill might be leaving Saints.

Has any reason been given?

MESSAGES->author
Widcombe Boy (IP Logged)

12 January, 2017 08:47
Todd's quoted yesterday saying he's happy with our front row

MESSAGES->author
shendy (IP Logged)

12 January, 2017 08:55
If you want to see Paul Hill in action away from the scrum, try and find a video of his disallowed try away to Leicester last season.
He was a really good signing, I would not be impressed if he left.

The suggestion is that he and Ethan Waller might want to leave to get more game time.

There ain't no Sanity Clause

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

12 January, 2017 08:59
Quote:
Widcombe Boy
Todd's quoted yesterday saying he's happy with our front row

That's surprising to hear as our scrum doesn't strike me as particularly strong, although I have no stats to confirm this impression

Chris Cook - Adopted player 2016/17

by
by (IP Logged)

12 January, 2017 10:43
Maybe hes happy at the moment with Shaun Knight filling in, but hes out of contract at the end of the season and there is definitely room to bring in someone better.

We've been pretty lucky with Lahif stepping up and actually being a decent tight head.

Substitute
Substitute (IP Logged)

12 January, 2017 11:13
Not to mention that having Thomas back would be like a new signing.

Danchinho
Danchinho (IP Logged)

12 January, 2017 13:22
It seems to me Lahiff is doing really well, considering. Can't remember him giving away many penalties and he's good around the pitch. Good engine and tackles well.

Knight also seems decent in the scrum but he always looks completely exhausted after 25 minutes!

I probably don't know what i'm talking about.

Bathovalballer

12 January, 2017 14:37
IMO Lahiff may be ok around the pitch but is not and never will be strong or technically good enough to be a top class tight head. Knight has shown he is a better scrummagger than Lahiff but needs to work on his fitness.

Therefore with Henry and K-P being our only other TH's IMO we could do with another top class operator in that position. Paul Hill ticks all the boxes and he is very young and can only get better.

quanco
quanco (IP Logged)

12 January, 2017 14:43
Thought Knight looked in better shape last week. Think S&C staff have done a bit of work there.

Adam Hastings/Bath Rugby - Adopted Player 2016/17

Mike the Taxi
Mike the Taxi (IP Logged)

12 January, 2017 14:49
Are we able to bring in a 'sickness replacement', or whatever the term is, in the meanwhile?

Bathovalballer

12 January, 2017 14:53
Surely Shaun K is a long term injury replacement.

by
by (IP Logged)

12 January, 2017 14:55
Yeah Knight has improved quite a bit, he was extremely unfit in his first appearance. Can't remember who it was against (think AWC vs Leicester) but I recall the opposition box kicking off the back of a line out and Knight was walking back up the pitch.

Mike, I believe that was the original plan after Thomas injured his knee but must of been unable to find a suitable replacement + happy with Lahif's performances.

by
by (IP Logged)

12 January, 2017 14:56
Quote:
Bathovalballer
Surely Shaun K is a long term injury replacement.

Knight was brought in for Wilson, who was injured before going to Newcastle.

MESSAGES->author
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

16 January, 2017 21:47
Edinburgh trying to hold onto Nel. French clubs interested.

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Bathovalballer

17 January, 2017 00:14
I know he might be expensive but he is a proper hard scrummagging tight head with bags of experience and has consistently shown he performs at the highest level in a very tough position.

Mt preference for tighthead would be the young english qualified Paul Hill but if he is not available Nel would be a top class signing.

MESSAGES->author
JimDaff (IP Logged)

17 January, 2017 00:41
I don't think Nel fits with what we are trying to do. He's an old school prop; a rock at the set piece but fairly limited around the park. When you look at our current front row players they are all reasonable scrummagers but very mobile in the loose and great defenders who are much better suited to the expansive style I think TB is aiming for. Hill would be a better fit.

Rolfs_Cartoon_Club
@Hydor18 (IP Logged)

17 January, 2017 07:47
Hill is under contract, I think. If we could sort out a replacement for you-know-who, then a swap would be an interesting notion, as Saints badly need a flyhalf.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

17 January, 2017 08:05
Quote:
@Hydor18
Hill is under contract, I think. If we could sort out a replacement for you-know-who, then a swap would be an interesting notion, as Saints badly need a flyhalf.

So do we! Question is which position do we need most?

Boldngrey
Boldngrey (IP Logged)

17 January, 2017 10:47
But did Hill's dad get sacked by his current boss?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net

Bath Poll

Where do you think we'll finish this season?

See results > Submit >>