rugbyunion
Latest News:

The COML Message Board

The place for discussion, debate and nonsense about Bath Rugby.

Join our new Facebook Group today!

New visitors please read the house rules before posting

Test your prognostications at our Prediction League

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

Calum Clark
17 January, 2017 15:55
To Sarries? I obviously don't keep up - I didn't see that coming. He should add a bit of something* to them at least.

[* dirty play]

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

Re: Calum Clark
17 January, 2017 16:01
Sarries have already got quite a physical presence, now with recent signings Liam Williams and Calum Clark it is somewhat enhanced!

westondave
WestonDave (IP Logged)

17 January, 2017 17:17
He'll fit in well!

MESSAGES->author
jayeatman (IP Logged)

17 January, 2017 17:22
Clark is the sort of player the sport doesn't need. Banned for 'only' 32 weeks because the panel believed him when he claimed not to intentionally break Hawkins' elbow. IMO it should have been 5 years.

BATH supporter since 1975

Adopted players:
2015/6 Tom Homer
2016/7 Matt Banahan
2017/8 Jeff Williams
2018/9 Victor Delmas

Bathovalballer
Bathovalballer (IP Logged)

17 January, 2017 18:52
He should never be allowed back on a rugby field IMV and was lucky not to have been sued by Rob Hawkins.

Going back a few years I am sure some of Mr Hawkins team mates would have ensured Mr Clark was truly 'sorted' out. That is what he deserved.

To me signing such an individual shows what sort of team Sarries want to aspire to. I hope no other player suffers at his hands and Saracens don't live to regret it.

MESSAGES->author
jayeatman (IP Logged)

18 January, 2017 09:57
Quote:
Bathovalballer
He should never be allowed back on a rugby field IMV and was lucky not to have been sued by Rob Hawkins.
Going back a few years I am sure some of Mr Hawkins team mates would have ensured Mr Clark was truly 'sorted' out. That is what he deserved.

To me signing such an individual shows what sort of team Sarries want to aspire to. I hope no other player suffers at his hands and Saracens don't live to regret it.

Something we truly agree on.

Adopted players:
2015/6 Tom Homer
2016/7 Matt Banahan
2017/8 Jeff Williams
2018/9 Victor Delmas

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

18 January, 2017 10:16
So are either of you able to play devils advocate and explain what positives Saracens see in him.

The offence you are referring to was nearly 5 years ago and todays laws are significantly stricter and sanction heavier for foul play so why would the premierships top club and Champions cup holders want to sign him?

I am sure I will get abuse for this, but remember Lancaster considered him for selection and Eddie likes abrasion.

Bathovalballer

18 January, 2017 10:50
Personally, I admire aggression and toughness but not to the extent of inflicting potentially career or life consequent injuries on another player.

Mr Clark has form on that the Hawkins incident followed on some very bad behavior with his head at under 20 level if I recall rightly. It was one of the most sickening incidents I have had the misfortune to see in any contact sport and especially the one where I believe part of the game is knowing where all players respect the line between hard aggressive play and pure thuggery, especially on a man who was defenseless at the time.

He may be a reformed character and I sincerely hope he is! But to me there is always an element of doubt in such a person, and something may just trigger another incident where he seems to lose control, and do permanent damage. IMV he should have received a 10 year or lifetime ban for the Hawkins incident and he shouldn't have been allowed back on a rugby pitch after not learning from his earlier over aggressive actions. He was also very lucky RH didn't take him to Court.

At least in the past, such players often got their comeuppance on the field of play, and the prospect of such action, often kept such bad behaviour in check. In these modern 'sanitised' days, players cannot afford to do that with potential bans/litigation as well as the fact that the players are generally bigger and stronger than in the past.

From a playing point of view, he is a mobile, hard tackling and working back row who has undoubted talent. But as I said, the red mist moments are a concern to me and will be forever. Saracens appear to play on the edge and with Mr Clark in their ranks, that will appear to me that they intend to maintain that position. Good luck to them but I just hope he doesn't do anything so bad again.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 18/01/2017 11:04 by Bathovalballer.

MESSAGES->author
jayeatman (IP Logged)

18 January, 2017 11:11
Suits Saracens style of play and due to his record is probably a bargain.
Absolutely no chance of international duty so double bubble.

Adopted players:
2015/6 Tom Homer
2016/7 Matt Banahan
2017/8 Jeff Williams
2018/9 Victor Delmas

john fox
johnnyf (IP Logged)

18 January, 2017 20:38
Who do we think is the trigger in this transfer?

Is it the player (and his agent) simply looking for a higher pay package?
Is it Saracens who think he will model their style of play and fit in with that?
Or is it Northampton who simply recognise that he could do serious damage and want to pass him on before he does?
(bearing in mind they have similar issues with D Hartley)

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

18 January, 2017 20:54
He is a bit of an injury magnet. Has Hartley played for 2 years.

MESSAGES->author
joethefanatic (IP Logged)

18 January, 2017 21:44
Quote:
johnnyf
Is it Saracens who think he will model their style of play and fit in with that?
Or is it Northampton who simply recognise that he could do serious damage and want to pass him on before he does?

I think Sarries consider him a direct replacement for Will Fraser. Presumably the glass that Clark is made of is a little tougher.

... IMHO, of course.

Now in Honolulu

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 19/01/2017 06:50 by joethefanatic.

HamishMilner
Big Dog (IP Logged)

19 January, 2017 13:17
Where is Fraser going to from Sarries?

MESSAGES->author
joethefanatic (IP Logged)

19 January, 2017 17:03
Quote:
Big Dog
Where is Fraser going to from Sarries?

I think the problem is that Will Fraser is broken most of the time and rarely plays more than a few games. I think they think they need someone a little more robust.

... IMHO, of course.

Now in Honolulu

annie blackthorn
annie blackthorn (IP Logged)

Calum Clark to Sarries!
19 January, 2017 11:01
Should be well 'at home' there and fit in nicely with their playing style! Doubt he will play for Saints again (unless they are absolutely desperate!!).

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

Re: Calum Clark to Sarries!
19 January, 2017 11:05
Quote:
annie blackthorn
Should be well 'at home' there and fit in nicely with their playing style! Doubt he will play for Saints again (unless they are absolutely desperate!!).

Bit of a thread already running Annie

annie blackthorn
annie blackthorn (IP Logged)

Re: Calum Clark to Sarries!
19 January, 2017 18:44
merge if you wish Stuart. Didn't spot there was a thread on the subject already in place.

MESSAGES->author
shendy (IP Logged)

20 January, 2017 08:22
Quote:
johnnyf

Try the thread on the Saints forum - an interesting suggested reason there.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

20 January, 2017 08:59
Quote:
shendy
Quote:
johnnyf

Try the thread on the Saints forum - an interesting suggested reason there.

I have just read that 70 post thread and it is unclear what you are referring to, why not just link or quote your thoughts.

quanco
quanco (IP Logged)

27 February, 2018 15:06
Ruled out for 12 weeks with a broken arm.

I donít wish injury upon any player and hope he recovers well, though I wonder whether Rob Hawkins has anything to add.

Josh Bayliss [Bath Rugby] - Adopted Player 2018/19

Hymenoptera
Hymenoptera (IP Logged)

27 February, 2018 15:23
What a shame....reap and sow

DorsetBoy
Dorset Boy (IP Logged)

27 February, 2018 15:33
Not much sympathy deserved for someone who should have gone to jail for his assault on Rob Hawkins.

MESSAGES->author
Which Tyler (IP Logged)

27 February, 2018 16:13
As with most - I never wish injury on anyone; but I'm not going to be upset when Karma comes acalling

A man who cannot change his mind, cannot change anything
http://www.rugbyrebels.co/board/download/file.php?id=608
RAEBURN SHIELD

Kidney Stone
Kidney Stone (IP Logged)

27 February, 2018 21:44
Karma indeed.

Bathovalballer

28 February, 2018 10:30
Probably most other players in the Premiership will rest easier in their beds tonight!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net