rugbyunion
Latest News:

The COML Message Board

The place for discussion, debate and nonsense about Bath Rugby.

Join our new Facebook Group today!

New visitors please read the house rules before posting

Test your prognostications at our Prediction League

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 7 of 8

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

Re: Freddie coming home for George
10 April, 2017 21:35
Quote:
Beergoggles
In the two games I've seen recently with Freddie playing he's looked good and then limped off with a hamstring injury (or similar). Unlucky coincidence or does he have an underlying problem. Be the interesting to see his game completion stats if anyone can access them.

If he has injury problems then he'll fit in well at Bath.

Jack Wilson - Adopted player 2017/18

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

10 April, 2017 22:22
Quote:
OutsideBath
Quote:
Beergoggles
In the two games I've seen recently with Freddie playing he's looked good and then limped off with a hamstring injury (or similar). Unlucky coincidence or does he have an underlying problem. Be the interesting to see his game completion stats if anyone can access them.

We have been spoilt in that GF when not on international duty is ever-present.Iindoubt that will be the case with Burns & Priestland so I hope the new no.10 hits the ground running as he will surely be needed.

MESSAGES->author

11 April, 2017 08:22
Quote:
BathMatt53
Will Homer looking sharp for united tonight. Marfo putting in a real shift too.

Agreed BathMatt - his passing was very quick and accurate from the ruck. A couple of hesitant moments, but that was down to Hastings not being quick enough getting into position. Remember one searing break from Homer in the 1st half that lead to the first try, seriously quick. Might be worth a bench spot on Saturday?

HamishMilner
Big Dog (IP Logged)

11 April, 2017 13:07
I would prefer Will Homer on the bench to Cook. Got my potential to develop and get better than Cook who imo is out of his depth at scrum-half at this level.

Tbh I looked at him on Saturday and with the size of him Cook would be better of switching to hooker and being a dynamic carrier there as he has the stockiness, agility, speed and aggression in contact as a rugby player! Just lacks the nouse at scrum half and the accurate, speedy passing from the base of rucks which you need to control a game at 9.

Homer though looks a real prospect and should be given time to develop and learn as Kahn's understudy!

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

11 April, 2017 13:27
Quote:
Big Dog
I would prefer Will Homer on the bench to Cook. Got my potential to develop and get better than Cook who imo is out of his depth at scrum-half at this level.
Tbh I looked at him on Saturday and with the size of him Cook would be better of switching to hooker and being a dynamic carrier there as he has the stockiness, agility, speed and aggression in contact as a rugby player! Just lacks the nouse at scrum half and the accurate, speedy passing from the base of rucks which you need to control a game at 9.

Homer though looks a real prospect and should be given time to develop and learn as Kahn's understudy!

It raises an interesting point - maybe he would be better reinventing himself as a utility back given his athleticism and skills. Rather than playing Wilson in the centre and the Bath uni kid last night maybe they should have put Cook in the centre or FB or something to see how he got on (OK maybe that's a bit far but IMO the idea isn't a terrible one given forward loaded benches)...

MESSAGES->author
Toast and Marmite (IP Logged)

12 April, 2017 07:20
Not such a terrible idea, given the undeniably brilliant try he scored when he came on as a winger.

"No sprinkles. For every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you."

by
by (IP Logged)

12 April, 2017 07:59
W. Homer is a great prospect but still a bit green, if he can concentrate on just passing and kicking rather than trying to snipe around the fringes at every breakdown it would be a massive improvement.

Bathovalballer
Bathovalballer (IP Logged)

12 April, 2017 10:40
IMO Homer has great potential, as Cookie did the season before last!

I don't know the answer but Cookie has several plusses. He is strong, can tackle like back row, definitely has speed, but is not consistent enough when it counts. Probably this would improve with more game time, but that depends on him improving when he gets the chance. At the moment he must be giving the coaches a real headache.

On form, I believe Homer should be given his head, and lets see what he can do.

HamishMilner
Big Dog (IP Logged)

13 April, 2017 16:01
I just think Homer is eventually going to be a better prospect than Cook and thus we may as well fast track his development. I do not mind that he likes a snipe he just needs to be mentored in when to do this and not to.

Cook could certainly play midfield and wing too maybe but I doubt this would be at a top level either and it must be a bit late for this transition surely. This is why I think if he could make a transition to hooker he could get more years out of his career as he is now 25, give him a couple of years to transition well into hooker and he is suddenly 27 (the start of a front row's peak years really) and would be a truly dynamic and skilful forward option??

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

13 April, 2017 16:14
I would try guy mercer at hooker before I tried cook there, but maybe a bit late for GM now. Totally different body shape required not to mention mindset. Once batty, walker and Dunn are back and with vv extended we should be fine for hooker anyway, surely this year was just a one off (fingers crossed)?

Bathovalballer

14 April, 2017 12:21
Hope Charles gets the contract over Van V and stays.

To be a hooker you have to have great upper core strength to take the scrum pressure, combined with flexibility to actually, even if not often, strike for the ball. I personally don't think Cooke or G Mercer could do either.

As for a rash of injuries in the same position, I remember a prop crisis a few seasons ago and even this for a short time. It can happen and will again.

Back to the subject of this thread, another weekend of comparing Freddie with the departing Ford. For us to win anything this season, George has to be at his best which, admittedly, he was last week at Twickenham. Lets hope it continues.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

14 April, 2017 13:12
VV signed a new 2 year deal about 6 weeks ago BoB (at the same time Knight was made permanent)

Bathovalballer

14 April, 2017 13:16
Personally VV has not shown anything of real substance, and can only hope and trust the judgement of our coaches.

From what I have seen, Charles beats him hands down and should be given a deal.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

14 April, 2017 13:23
Yes he looked good in his game for us - very fast in particular.

dcsh
dcsh (IP Logged)

14 April, 2017 14:14
Wasn't there some talk about VV changing position before he got injured? If he did, maybe they would be a hooker position available in the squad for Charles, but otherwise 5 senior hookers would be a bit over the top.

Substitute
Substitute (IP Logged)

14 April, 2017 15:08
Quote:
dcsh
...but otherwise 5 senior hookers would be a bit over the top.

Given we're on to our to our 6th senior hooker maybe having 5 isn't such a bad idea?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/04/2017 15:09 by Substitute.

dcsh
dcsh (IP Logged)

14 April, 2017 15:43
Quote:
Substitute
Quote:
dcsh

Given we're on to our to our 6th senior hooker maybe having 5 isn't such a bad idea?

I was going to put something to that effect, but not practical across all positions.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

14 April, 2017 15:45
I think that VV was flank cover or something? Like A Johnson and D Ward. I may have been dreaming that though.

MESSAGES->author
Which Tyler (IP Logged)

14 April, 2017 19:08
Quote:
dcsh
Quote:
Substitute
Quote:
dcsh

I was going to put something to that effect, but not practical across all positions.
exactly, if we want to cover every position we've had injury crises in, we'll need 5 hookers, 5 THPs, 8 locks, at least a dozen backrows, 4 FHs and 8 centres. Oh and about 6 of those would need to be 80%+ kickers

A man who cannot change his mind, cannot change anything
http://www.rugbyrebels.co/board/download/file.php?id=377
RAEBURN SHIELD

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/04/2017 19:09 by Which Tyler.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

15 April, 2017 07:06
Quote:
FourSticks
Rugby paper (well, Fissler) suggest that Sale were after Faf De Klerk. Isn’t this someone Bath should be targeting?

This rumour gathering pace. Someone said we needed a new Claasens! Not cheap though:

According to Sport24, De Klerk has been offered a three-year contract by Sale that would make him one of the best-paid players in the league.

Bathovalballer

16 April, 2017 01:38
Freddie certainly did his level best, and looked classy at times, in Leicester's cause today. Did George for us?

Bathovalballer

19 April, 2017 18:21
On consistent performances, I expect Freddie was closer to Lions selection than the mercurial George.

Bathovalballer

24 April, 2017 01:34
I still strongly believe Freddie, who wants to come and play for Bath, will prove a much 'safer' pair of hands than a wonderkin who might or might not do the job when under pressure. That short drop out by GF cost us dear today and I cannot believe it was what the coaches would have wanted.

I want Priestland to start the next two games, even if he is playing on one leg.

MESSAGES->author
BathSalmon (IP Logged)

24 April, 2017 05:26
Quote:
Bathovalballer
I want Priestland to start the next two games, even if he is playing on one leg.

I kind of agree with this. But if they haven't played Priestland so far, I can't see them switching it around now.

Rhys might have to wait till next season to be given his run of games. (How long have we been waiting for that - a run of games for Rhys!)

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

24 April, 2017 06:22
We have certainly only got the benefit of the "wonderkin" on rare occasions. He hardly ever threatens the try line nowadays & is always likely to drop a clanger. From his point of view he probably thinks he is much more likely to win something at a club with a record of success rather than one which constantly flatters to deceive.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 24/04/2017 06:23 by Bath Hammer.

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

24 April, 2017 06:51
I think Bob has a surprise coming if he thinks Burns and Rhys don't make mistakes.

TG Kesmo
TG Kesmo (IP Logged)

24 April, 2017 07:00
Quote:
DanWiley
I think Bob has a surprise coming if he thinks Burns and Rhys don't make mistakes.

agreed and for either of them to get a run of games they will have to stay fit, neither seems to have the best history where that is concerned.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

24 April, 2017 07:36
For Ford's sake he needs to improve his form, kicking is an issue obviously, but his failure to threaten the line himself, his tactical mishaps and his propensity to be driven back in the tackle make me think that the minuses are beginning to out weigh the plusses.

I look forward to seeing Freddie at 10 for us and you have to say his less well known brother is is in a final so the omens are good.
Should Priestland play out the season? Well I can see GF being dropped but I don't think that was his last game in a Bath shirt.

Boldngrey
Boldngrey (IP Logged)

24 April, 2017 08:20
Quote:
Bathovalballer
I still strongly believe Freddie, who wants to come and play for Bath, will prove a much 'safer' pair of hands than a wonderkin who might or might not do the job when under pressure. That short drop out by GF cost us dear today and I cannot believe it was what the coaches would have wanted.

Freddie was pushed out as part of the deal for Ford. He wanted to stay at Leics.

he only became proud to play for Bath after the deed was done!

Bathovalballer

24 April, 2017 09:49
The fact that Leicester treated him rather shabbily and have cast him out after giving of his best with some success, and a two year contract extension in December if my memory serves me right, for young George may prove a huge motivational factor for Freddie.

Certainly his performances for Leicester have not diminished, if anything they ave improved with him being instrumental in helping them win silver ware in the AP Cup.

Personally, with Bath developing a new style of play under Todd and Tabai, I believe we need a steady Eddie, not a mercurial player who runs hot and cold, often bottling under pressure.

Flying Scotsman
Flying Scotsman (IP Logged)

24 April, 2017 12:33
When GF is hot, he's absolutely magnificent. This season I can only recall three such occurrences, vs Newcastle, Bristol away and the Clash (Exe away a possible fourth). On the other hand, he's also had some shocking performances. Up to the score going 18-25 I thought he played fairly well yesterday (the woeful DG attempt excepted). However an international ten should have managed those last ten minutes far better than he did. I had very little confidence in him nailing that last kick, but for me greater offences were the atrocious restart and needlessly kicking the ball back to them when we had a scrum advantage for a knock on waiting (in their half). Whilst the kick to touch might have been a good option, he missed by a mile and with the game already broken it gave them a second chance, which they took.

Now, watching Burns this season I've like me what I've seen. He does make regular mistakes - as we know RP does too - but on the whole I think he's been very very good and I do not think we will be weaker over the course of the 2017/18 campaign at fly half than we have been this season.

It wouldn't surprise me if a refreshed GF turns it on for Tigers next year, and good luck to him. However I don't think that we should necessarily mourn his loss as for the last two years we really haven't seen the best of him.

Bathovalballer

24 April, 2017 12:48
ALL players make mistakes and I fully accept that both Burns and Priestland will do so again. But over a whole season, I believe having a consistent starting 10, in a pivotal position in the Evans/Myler/Steenson role, will benefit the side much more than a potentially brilliant talent who may or may not perform, and has certainly crumbled when under pressure or having to make real tough game playing decisions which have often proved disastrously wrong for the side.

GF may learn from these experiences with us, but we will not see the benefits of this now he is going to Leicester where he will be playing behind a robust, settled forward unit and with an England international decision making colleague inside him.

As I have said, George is history, so go with our thanks, but lets look after ourselves beginning this weekend with playing guys who we know will be here next season.

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

24 April, 2017 12:53
"This season I can only recall three such occurrences, vs Newcastle, Bristol away and the Clash"

2 of those were when his 6N place was up for debate, and the Clash was a big game at Twickenham with Lions selection looming.

B4thB4ck
B4thB4ck (IP Logged)

24 April, 2017 12:55
BoB, you've said the same criticism of George so many times now on so many threads. We get it.

Who do you plan to pick on next season?

MESSAGES->author
FourSticks (IP Logged)

24 April, 2017 13:20
Quote:
Flying Scotsman
Up to the score going 18-25 I thought he played fairly well yesterday (the woeful DG attempt excepted). However an international ten should have managed those last ten minutes far better than he did.

Given the way Priestland bossed the home games against Brive and Northampton, particularly in the latter stages, I’m surprised the coaches did not opt for his steadying hand to close out the match...

...But then they rarely seem to sub Ford.

gaz59
gaz59 (IP Logged)

24 April, 2017 15:01
Quote:
Optimist
"This season I can only recall three such occurrences, vs Newcastle, Bristol away and the Clash"
2 of those were when his 6N place was up for debate, and the Clash was a big game at Twickenham with Lions selection looming.

Not sure what the point is here Opti. Are you suggesting he only turns it on when there is something in it for him internationally?

In any event, the first two of those were hardly tough matches. Newcastle away form is even worst than ours. And Briz away, well presumably this is the AW cup and hardly the testing bed for world class rugby

Let's be honest, for whatever reasons George is not going to be up for Player of the Season this year

Bath Supporter Jack

24 April, 2017 15:25
I can't wait for Freddie to get here!

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

24 April, 2017 16:04
Quote:
Bath Supporter Jack
I can't wait for Freddie to get here!

Yes - I'm sure he will get at least 80 mins of game time until the usuals bemoan how he is no George Ford...

Bath Supporter Jack

24 April, 2017 16:46
What because he tackles, kicks deep into opposing touchlines, is more consistent off the T, makes breaks and chips and runs......and will be available every match?

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

24 April, 2017 16:56
Quote:
Bath Supporter Jack
What because he tackles, kicks deep into opposing touchlines, is more consistent off the T, makes breaks and chips and runs......and will be available every match?

Every player seems to be the best thing since sliced bread BEFORE they play for us!

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

24 April, 2017 17:30
Lets face it, George, Freddie and Rhys are all quality fly halves - any 2 of the three would be fine...

I think that we have bigger fish to fry - nasty THP, even nastier 2nd row and top notch sports psychologist at the top of the list.

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

24 April, 2017 20:06
Quote:
Bath Hammer
Quote:
Bath Supporter Jack

Every player seems to be the best thing since sliced bread BEFORE they play for us!

Leicester fans think Fred's the best thing since sliced bread right now. Good enough for me.

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

24 April, 2017 20:53
I honestly don't think it's the right thing to do to build Freddie up as some seem to be. He's a decent player, but the chances are that he will let you down if you put him on a pedestal. He has had a good season, but a couple of seasons back George looked like "a taste sensation", so things change.

I think the other side of that coin is we're a bit quick to knock George, i guess it helps us move on, but in the long run i don't think it will help.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

24 April, 2017 21:09
We are excited Dan, it is inevitable that he is compared to his predecessor, what we do need to remember though is that he is not a walk in for the position, in fact he might even be on the bench for the first game!

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

24 April, 2017 21:12
Were you excited at the prospect of Donald out of interest? Plenty were. Maybe keep that in mind if you feel yourself getting to carried away.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

24 April, 2017 21:18
For every Donald there had been a Louw and a Kahn who have fulfilled their potential and more. Freddie should be a solid signing IMO.

(I actually thought that most people were a bit let down by Donald as they were hoping for Carter.)

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

25 April, 2017 00:06
Quote:
DanWiley
Were you excited at the prospect of Donald out of interest? Plenty were. Maybe keep that in mind if you feel yourself getting to carried away.

Dan we are going into next season with a side that could actually become a team. It's a coaching team that whilst they haven't won the highest prize, were always at the top of the pile. The rest of the pile being of very high quality.

Yes, I'm quite excited that's what supporters do isn't it?

Bathovalballer

25 April, 2017 01:41
Quote 'Dan we are going into next season with a side that could actually become a team. It's a coaching team that whilst they haven't won the highest prize, were always at the top of the pile. The rest of the pile being of very high quality.'

Fully agree and concur with you here Shipwrecked. With the departure of GF and the complete removal of the Ford family influence, we have the chance to become a team. If any others remain upset by George's going, they too should be sent packing.

After the good season start, I want Todd and his team to have the chance to show what they can do and personally I have confidence in their abilities. A proper pre season under Todd and Tabai is going to help establish their game plans, having had a season's experience of Northern Hemisphere rugby, and hopefully establish a true team spirit with the players wanting to go the extra mile for both their team mates and for the club. You can coach so much but at the end of the day, it is the players desire, character, guts, skills and efforts which will influence the outcomes of games.

Substitute
Substitute (IP Logged)

25 April, 2017 06:35
Quote:
Bathovalballer
If any others remain upset by George's going, they too should be sent packing.

So the over-pampered, the ones who don't want it and any slightly upset by George's departure...

So, once the thought police are in full swing and the great purge is complete, just how many players do.you predict we'll have left?

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

25 April, 2017 07:12
"For every Donald there had been a Louw and a Kahn"

What you're saying there is that there's a 33% chance of him disappointing you. That's not what I'm saying and i doubt it's what you meant, but it is what you said.

What i am saying is that, right now, we're building Freddie up to be the solution to all our problems. He won't be, well unlikely. so if you do that, he'll disappoint and we'll be into Freddie knocking next. That's a bad cycle.

As if to illustrate that point, you've mentioned Louw and Kharn, two players who, whilst we were excited to see to varying degrees, i don't recall either being put on this pedestal.

Boldngrey
Boldngrey (IP Logged)

25 April, 2017 07:15
As soon as Freddie starts making mistakes we will see Freddie knocking such is the fickleness of posters.

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

25 April, 2017 08:19
"What i am saying is that, right now, we're building Freddie up to be the solution to all our problems."

Who has done that?

Every poster who is supportive of Burns has basically acknowledged that he's not quite as good as George Ford, but, in their opinion, his signing represents a good bit of business by Bruce.

Everyone has said that we need a minimum of another THP and a scrum-half....ergo, no-one is claiming that Freddie is the solution to 'all' our problems.

Like plenty of others, i'm more inclined to highlight the negatives in Ford now than before - which is kind of natural when a player has said that he doesn't want to play for the team that you support, and also because those negatives self-evidently do exist.

MESSAGES->author
woodpecker (IP Logged)

25 April, 2017 08:33
Quote:
Optimist
"What i am saying is that, right now, we're building Freddie up to be the solution to all our problems."
Who has done that?

Every poster who is supportive of Burns has basically acknowledged that he's not quite as good as George Ford, but, in their opinion, his signing represents a good bit of business by Bruce.

Everyone has said that we need a minimum of another THP and a scrum-half....ergo, no-one is claiming that Freddie is the solution to 'all' our problems.

Like plenty of others, i'm more inclined to highlight the negatives in Ford now than before - which is kind of natural when a player has said that he doesn't want to play for the team that you support, and also because those negatives self-evidently do exist.

This.

Who is the better player?, if we just take England selection clearly it's George. However, George doesn't want to be here and Freddy does (a bit).

People have moved on, they have had enough of George and the guy we are getting is a very good player who for now at least wants to play for bath.

Its not surprising, people are looking forward to it, but Freddie isn't the messiah.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

25 April, 2017 08:43
You are right DW, was just who came to mind. I'm sure if I could be bothered we could undertake a detailed forensic examination...but I can't....(Stringer - we are down to 25%!).

People are bigging up Freddie just because they are desperate to not feel that we did worse out of the swap. I think that we swapped two very different players albeit in the same position - I hope that Freddie fits the coaches style better than George and then we are laughing. Personally I'm just happy to wait and see how he goes. Like I said before I am more interested in other positions for next season and think that how we will do in the end will depend on those rather than FH.

Boldngrey
Boldngrey (IP Logged)

25 April, 2017 10:53
Freddie’s biggest asset is that he will be available during the international window.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

25 April, 2017 12:35
Quote:
Boldngrey
Freddie’s biggest asset is that he will be available during the international window.

Well that's the catch isn't it!

- Option 1: he does great for us and gets called up;
- Option 2: he does OK for us and doesn't.

[Option 1.5: He does really well for us and remains a hair below the call up...bingo!]

P G Tips
P G Tips (IP Logged)

25 April, 2017 13:28
Matt

Option - 2: he does great for us and gets called up; Priestland does likewise and is also called up!

Signs from Wales are that RP's international days are behind him. Freddie is not in pole position, but I would not write off his England chances - especially if there are any injuries to current contenders.

PG

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

25 April, 2017 13:33
Freddie's probably 5th choice? Ford, Farrell, Lozowski, Cipriani, Burns. I can't see Eddie going for him.

gloucesterwatcher
gloucesterwatcher (IP Logged)

25 April, 2017 13:37
hasta there is also Piers Francis?

P G Tips
P G Tips (IP Logged)

25 April, 2017 13:57
I suggest 4th- above Cipriani.

PG

gaz59
gaz59 (IP Logged)

25 April, 2017 14:23
I would have Freddie firmly in at 4th, clearly above Cips whose every game seems to be a curate's egg

Substitute
Substitute (IP Logged)

25 April, 2017 15:31
Quote:
gaz59
I would have Freddie firmly in at 4th, clearly above Cips whose every game seems to be a curate's egg

Hasn't stopped Ford being no.1 (and sometimes it's been debatable if he's displayed the good to go with the bad...)

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

25 April, 2017 15:44
Quote:
hasta
Freddie's probably 5th choice? Ford, Farrell, Lozowski, Cipriani, Burns. I can't see Eddie going for him.

He wants Farrell at 12 and Cips won't get a look in for England. Which would put him 3rd choice assuming that Eddie wants to play like that - not a million miles away if FB smashed it for us? All speculation anyway - lets watch the lad play for us first!

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

26 April, 2017 05:51
Farrell will clearly start at 10 ahead of Burns - who hasn't been in any squads unlike Cips and now Piers Francis.

Bathovalballer

30 April, 2017 23:48
Did you guys see the performance Freddie put in for the club he is leaving, and has done consistently since his move was announced? Unlike someone closer to home who has seemingly got the hump and wants to leave.

I watched George today, and even saw him walk into the ground. He was very much on his own and even during the warm up did not appear to speak to anyone and was on his own at the end of the game as well.

Leicester are going to miss Freddie and even Flats thinks we have got the better of the 'swap'. As talented as GF is, in the longer term, we are not going to miss any of the Ford family.

B4thB4ck
B4thB4ck (IP Logged)

01 May, 2017 09:22
Quote:
Bathovalballer
Did you guys see the performance Freddie put in for the club he is leaving, and has done consistently since his move was announced? Unlike someone closer to home who has seemingly got the hump and wants to leave.
I watched George today, and even saw him walk into the ground. He was very much on his own and even during the warm up did not appear to speak to anyone and was on his own at the end of the game as well.

Leicester are going to miss Freddie and even Flats thinks we have got the better of the 'swap'. As talented as GF is, in the longer term, we are not going to miss any of the Ford family.

What did you expect BoB, he join you in the bar for a pint before the game?

From what I have seen, George has always been like that, whether for Bath or England, even after playing a blinder for England he can be seen by the ceiling camera in the corner of the changing rooms thinking through the game whilst others poor beer over each other.

Many players prepare pre match in their own way, building focus, and fly halves are often on their own going through personal routines. Maybe him doing that well is why I can never remember him injured.

You know all this, you watch way more rugby than me. No need to stir things any more, nothing to see here.

Boldngrey
Boldngrey (IP Logged)

01 May, 2017 09:26
I thought George played well for his short spell.

The bench did an excellent job adding to the confusion for Glaws.

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

01 May, 2017 10:24
The circumstances of his leaving and that of Burns leaving Leicester are diametrically opposed but I think George handled it as well as could be expected - he adopted a suitably wistful look on his face, and the crowd applauded him respectfully - a case of 'what a shame it had to end this way' all round.

Yorkie
Yorkie (IP Logged)

01 May, 2017 10:49
Quote:
OutsideBath
Quote:
Beergoggles

Freddie seems to get bad cramp towards the end of games so Tigers tend to replace him when it happens.

Based upon current form, I reckon Bath are getting the better deal in this swop that our board were so desperate to make happen. Freddie was offered up as the "transfer fee" before he was even told! He really did want to stay at Tigers but is being pragmatic and taking positives from a move back home. Parents travel to watch him will be much reduced.

Freddie far better value for money too imvho. When he arrived at Tigers, I, like many others, was a little bit underwhelmed, particularly considering his last season at Glaws. Boy has he proved us wrong!!! Standing ovation from WR as he left the pitch on Saturday.

Gentleman is our Fredster. Signing stuff for the kids well after the game. One of, if not the, last to go in and get changed.

http://www.jakehowlett.com/tuckshop/wrappers/chocolate/plain/yorkie-nutter.jpg

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

01 May, 2017 12:54
Quote:
Bathovalballer

That is not what he said, it was based on this seasons form, sorry, but if GF dived on an unexploded grenade he would be doing it for the wrong reasons in your view.

Bath Supporter Jack

01 May, 2017 13:31
I repeat.....I am very much looking to see Freddie at the Rec..........as Uhtred says "Destiny Is All"!!(Sm55)

P G Tips
P G Tips (IP Logged)

01 May, 2017 15:56
George did play well in his short spell on the pitch yesterday and there is nothing to be gained from slagging him off now.

Rhys had a a good match v Glaws and we can look forward to Freddie, who is in good current from, arriving and hopefully building on that form for us.

They are the future, but until the end of this season at least, George remains part of our present.

PG

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

01 May, 2017 16:04
Are we still talking about this? Some great memories of George and I'm sure we will have some new ones from Freddie.

gaz59
gaz59 (IP Logged)

02 May, 2017 06:51
Quote:
Bathovalballer

You're forgetting there may be another, simple explanatory factor here - simple, different personality type. From what I've seen of him on TV I'd bet a fair wallop of my kids' student debts that George is more Introverted-Thinking type in Myers-Briggs speak. Not very comfortable in the limelight, likes to keep himself to himself but is also a very strong analyst who much prefers working individually or with small, close-knit group of familiar people. Innovation and creativity will tend to come through deep thinking and links with well-planned systems and structures. Will tend to be very cool and serious when under pressure

Freddie on the other hand could well be more of an Extroverted-Feeling type - more engaging and gregarious and so will appear more open in communications, outward and socially confident. Innovation and creativity will tend to be more spontaneous and 'off the cuff' - often more animated when under pressure and with a high level of inner confidence can be prone to 'go-big' gambles

And the other thing here is that polar opposite personality types will tend to see these characteristics at the extreme and possibly dysfunctional if not fully understood

So for example, someone with strong E-F may tend to see I-T qualities as cold, disinterested and aloof

Never room an E-F with an I-T on tour unless somehow they have worked through their differences from early time and are best mates - unhappiness and motivational carnage for sure

Could fit don't you think?

MESSAGES->author
woodpecker (IP Logged)

02 May, 2017 09:40
Sounds similar to Johnny, apparently not a bundle of laughs

Bathovalballer

02 May, 2017 10:11
You may well be right gaz59, but still even when things went well on Sunday, George didn't seem to join in the celebrations with his team mates, and I could not see him in the end of game players huddle on the pitch.

If he is such a 'distant' person, he is always going to struggle with groups of fairly gregarious, confident people like most top rugby players, and appears aloof and wrapped up in his self and probably only trusts his inner circle of a few people, like his family. His father's demise under criticism from some of the playing group would have hit him hard and he had lost his main support man. ie his father.

By going to Leicester, I can only assume he has a similar relationship with one/two of their players like Ben Youngs. I hope he is truly happy as he has an immense talent as a rugby player but doubt whether he can truly enjoy himself as he seems to struggle with relationships. IMO making him captain was not a good move, as I wonder how he came across to his fellow team mates. We will never know, so all we can do is wish him well and hope he becomes fully for filled in his future life.

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

02 May, 2017 10:49
Quote:
Bathovalballer
IMO making him captain was not a good move, as I wonder how he came across to his fellow team mates.

I wonder if they did that to keep him valued & therefore more inclined to stay. Otherwise he didn't seem a good fit particularly as the indecision rumbled on. Several of his (joint?) decisions were bizarre anyway.

tigerburnie
tigerburnie (IP Logged)

02 May, 2017 18:22
George played better for us than he did for you, I expect he will up his game at Welford Road again, as for Freddie, I wish him well, he's done us proud.

dr.bath1865
dr.bath1865 (IP Logged)

02 May, 2017 19:10
He was premiership player of the season in 2014/15 whilst playing for us.

So he must have played bloody amazing for you lot to have had a season better than that.

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

02 May, 2017 19:15
Quote:
tigerburnie
George played better for us than he did for you, I expect he will up his game at Welford Road again, as for Freddie, I wish him well, he's done us proud.

Are you serious! It was only when he came to Bath that his game blossomed. He was always considered promising with you but he really sparkled at Bath, maybe because he was reunited with Dad. He was justifiably first choice with us but only backing up Flood with you. For all his faults you are getting a far better player than when he left you.

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

03 May, 2017 12:56
Been voted 'Tigers Supporters Player of the Season' - Fred that is, not George. Fair play to the lad. Hope he can build as good a relationship with the fans here.

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

03 May, 2017 13:09
I think George suffers by comparison because Freddie (and others) are much more extroverted in terms of communicating with the media or via social networking. It's obviously just not George's thing - which is strange because he's clearly animated and expressive on the pitch (both with other players and in his rugby). All indicators are that he's a model professional, a first class thinker about attack and that he takes a lot of time with young fans.

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

03 May, 2017 15:45
'All indicators are that he's a model professional, a first class thinker about attack and that he takes a lot of time with young fans' - I'm sure that's true. And he's on a hiding to nothing right now. He's made it clear he doesn't want to play for Bath - he can hardly go out there and look like he's having the time of his life. I really, really wish him well as a player and hope he finds consistency at the top end of his ability, which we know to be first-class. To an extent he's jumping into the fire though, because Freddie has been able to milk the fan's affection, and George will now gave to win them over. Once he's finished here, expect to see a charm-offensive Midlands way.

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

03 May, 2017 16:23
Maybe. I think his natural shyness won't help him win over fans in the way Freddie has. In absence of that, it'll basically come down to his ability to make pressure kicks. Erp.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

03 May, 2017 17:48
Really interesting programme this morning on R4 about Bob Paisley (Liverpool manager), mainly in relation to a book called 'quiet genius' and comparing him with Klopp. Followed later by a piece about how sporting genius transcends nationalism.

They discussed how some people at the top of sport naturally win people affections (Federer) and some people win admiration (Maradona, Messi). Burns is clearly the former, Ford the latter. As Woodpecker says above, GF is an amazing rugby player but apparently not Mr Charisma (Leeerrrrooooyyyy)- if Tigers win a cup I'm sure they couldn't care less.

The Oilman
The Oilman (IP Logged)

06 May, 2017 19:29
Seems as though Freddie did the business for Tiggers today. They scored 1 try compared to Wuss 3 and he kicked a bucket load of points to win the game, and 4th place. That'll do for me.

MESSAGES->author
Tigergeezer (IP Logged)

06 May, 2017 19:58
You're getting a real good 'un in the Fredster. Treasure him.

The lowest depth to which people can sink before God is defined by the word 'journalist'.

Soren Kierkegaard

gaz59
gaz59 (IP Logged)

14 May, 2017 13:09
Everything Freddie says that is print is always a massive plus

Really good article in the Rugby Paper and it states he is 3rd in the kicking stats on 82.6%, well above George and Faz

[www.therugbypaper.co.uk]

Almost makes me want Tiggers to win the title

dr.bath1865
dr.bath1865 (IP Logged)

14 May, 2017 15:37
It seems that he feels he's coming to us with a real point to prove. I like that.

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

14 May, 2017 16:45
Can't help but think he'd rather be staying at Tigers than joining us though.

gaz59
gaz59 (IP Logged)

14 May, 2017 17:49
Quote:
OutsideBath

Can't help but think that says more about you than Freddie

BBWBaaBaa
BBWBaaBaa (IP Logged)

14 May, 2017 17:53
I think OB may require bereavement therapy, or he will still be mourning George in 2019??

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

14 May, 2017 18:03
Quote:
gaz59
Quote:
OutsideBath

Can't help but think that says more about you than Freddie

What?

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

14 May, 2017 19:06
Quote:
OutsideBath

I can't detect that in the article at all. This is what he says: “I’m really excited to be going to Bath this summer because the opportunity to play for my home town club is one I thought I’d never get.

“I feel I’m in a really good place and Bath are a club to bring out the best of me, while I can add something to them as well, but, without going into the politics of it all too much, things could have been handled a lot better.

“As a player, when a club deems you not good enough or their actions in signing another player show they’d rather have someone else, it’s a bitter pill to swallow. But that’s sport, it’s people’s opinions and you have to do what’s best for you.

“The best way for me after signing a three-year contract at Bath – something that fills me with great pride – is to hold my head high and prove a point by finishing well at Tigers."

I really like and respect George Ford but after the Challenge Cup final result and looking back at the semi I didn't detect the same resolve and am left feeling disappointed.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

14 May, 2017 19:57
It is possible for him to like Tigers AND be excited about his new move? I don't think that the two are mutually exclusive.

MESSAGES->author
joethefanatic (IP Logged)

15 May, 2017 17:32
The more I hear and read about Fred, the more impressed I am with him as a human being. I think we're getting a polished gem.

... IMHO, of course.

Now in Honolulu

Bathovalballer

15 May, 2017 23:54
IMO a much more complete individual in Freddie, both with himself mentally and his all round consistent performances on the field which are there for all to see. Not a flash in the pan genius of the departing George, but a much more steady consistent performer which a relatively young side like Bath need in our currant state of team development. And as Todd says, it is still a developing side and we have a long way to go to compete with the top 4 in the Prem, let alone Europe. Having watched Clermont versus Sarries, I don't think we could compete with either of them 90% of the time at present. But in a year or so, I hope we can .................

Next season has to be a development one, showing more consistency and resilience when under pressure, with Euro qualification being an absolute minimum target and possibly top 4. The latter is a stretch IMO but we will see.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

16 May, 2017 06:15
Lol BoB - and if they achieve Euro qualification and 'possibly' hit top 4 will you give them another 4/10?

benjbath
benjbath (IP Logged)

16 May, 2017 08:27
I mean is that not exactly what we did this season? Or is it going to be the aim after we sack half the club?

Littlelen
Littlelen (IP Logged)

20 May, 2017 08:17
Freddie coming home combined with his treatment by Leicester as he see's it , he will super motivated to do well .
He is a top quality 10, reads the game well, good vision who can also attack the line and spin out flat bullet passes when needed but most importantly can kick !
I can't wait to see him in a Bath shirt.

Thanks George but I'm more than happy Freddie is coming !

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 7 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net