rugbyunion
Latest News:

The COML Message Board

The place for discussion, debate and nonsense about Bath Rugby.

Join our new Facebook Group today!

New visitors please read the house rules before posting

Test your prognostications at our Prediction League

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

Re: Weekend results (spoilers)
06 March, 2017 10:29
Quote:
BathMatt53
This morning Bris have signed Ian Madigan? They will have a pretty dominant year against Rotherham / Ealing etc. with the likes of him and Steven Luatua.

They bought the championship trophy last time so no doubt they will do it again. Shame there isn't a salary cap to stop them doing it.

Chris Cook - Adopted player 2016/17

by
by (IP Logged)

06 March, 2017 10:48
Clearly the team is too good for the championship but it gives Lam a whole season of no pressure rugby to get their systems/patterns in place. Could see them walking straight into the top 6 for 2018/2019.

MESSAGES->author
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

25 March, 2017 15:34
What a cracking game between Saints and Tigers so far, this has everything and could be 50 pointa each at the end! Burns playing well. Picamoles is some player too, shame he's not British I would love to see him with the Lions.

MESSAGES->author
callmeMrTibbs (IP Logged)

25 March, 2017 16:01
Picamoles has been sensational to watch this season, great signing.

Re: last night's game, Bristol chairman somewhat arrogant to announce his club 'will walk the Championship'. May be true. But if I was a Pirate, or playing for Jersey or Leeds, it'd give me every incenitive to really get stuck in against them.

MESSAGES->author
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

25 March, 2017 16:08
Well he also says that when they will come up they will go straight into top 6 which is another bold statement and one that quite a few other decent teams will disagree with.

MESSAGES->author
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

25 March, 2017 16:55
Haha Calum Clarke gets turned over to lose another match for them. Tigers looking dangerous though, even more worried about the Clash now. Handy try BPs though.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

25 March, 2017 17:06
Except it won't be Mauger in charge, perhaps they will be adapting to a change in manager!

Boldngrey
Boldngrey (IP Logged)

25 March, 2017 17:08
They lost it when Picamoles went off.

P G Tips
P G Tips (IP Logged)

25 March, 2017 17:39
Clash just got a lot tougher -and more significant!

PG

DorsetBoy
Dorset Boy (IP Logged)

25 March, 2017 18:03
Not a great set of results for Bath with Quins getting the BP at home to the Falcons.
Tigers have to be favourites for 4th now.

MESSAGES->author
TCM2007 (IP Logged)

25 March, 2017 22:32
Quins will be lucky to win more than one of their last four though - Exeter, Sarries, Wasps, Saints.

Stuart

Former ed.

BathPatriot
BathPatriot (IP Logged)

26 March, 2017 10:44
Tigers looked good, as did Saints to be honest . Quins are coming on as well but they do have a difficult run in. I feel if we can make top six that will be ok, can't see us doing any better.

MESSAGES->author
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

14 April, 2017 21:25
Exeter have done the business keeping Quins down to nil points from this game by the looks. All good stuff for us.

(Maybe Mike Brown is better off not passing if they are like that last one to nobody that resulted in an Exe try)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/04/2017 21:31 by BathMatt53.

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

14 April, 2017 21:33
Mike Brown totally out of his depth in a fast and loose game. Once again superbly referreed by Barnes. Brilliant entertainment.

MESSAGES->author
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

14 April, 2017 21:41
I see that Sarries have made 9 changes resting a few of their stars which isn't ideal.

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

14 April, 2017 21:42
Incredible try scoring consistency from Exeter. They are now a modest 22 points ahead of Bath. I know we have some impressive wingers but why did we let Woodburn go?

MESSAGES->author
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

14 April, 2017 22:00
Quote:
Bath Hammer
Incredible try scoring consistency from Exeter. They are now a modest 22 points ahead of Bath. I know we have some impressive wingers but why did we let Woodburn go?

Roko had him on toast earlier in the season but in general he has really flourished playing their game. I still don't think that he would be first choice with Bath which is what he wanted I think? (More game time at least). Besides we didn't let the Woodburn you see today go...

Yarde was 4th best winger on that pitch today I thought, he is a one trick pony IMO.

sid the seagull
sid the seagull (IP Logged)

14 April, 2017 22:43
Wood burn is wubbish any decent match up he looses.

SQUAWK

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

15 April, 2017 09:26
Quote:
Bath Hammer

How have we fallen so far behind the top 3?

MESSAGES->author
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

15 April, 2017 10:11
They don't seem to have brainfarts in that same way as us, Saints, Tigers seem to at the moment. If the see a weak team they just swat it aside, if they are winning in the last quarter they turn the screw. Remember those 22 Exe points include a big swing when we lost at home to them so late in the game. For Sarries to be up there when they lose so many stars for so much of the year to internationals is even more remarkable.

Having said that, our first team isn't any weaker than those teams (if at all) aside from maybe tight 5...and for me the most important...the bench.

P G Tips
P G Tips (IP Logged)

15 April, 2017 10:16
Quote:
Optimist
Mike Brown totally out of his depth in a fast and loose game. Once again superbly referreed by Barnes. Brilliant entertainment.

Entertaining game - agreed.
However, I am less sure about "superbly refereed". I don't normally criticise Wayne Barnes -who is usually precise to the point of pedantry & gets it right, but yesterday I thought he was super-indulgent of Quins' midfield offside. The Evans interception was a case in point- it came as the culmination of three or more "rushes" at the breakdown from a midfield some 3-5 metre across the offside line.

This is an area overlooked by most refs, which mitigates against attacking rugby.

PG

annie blackthorn
annie blackthorn (IP Logged)

15 April, 2017 10:37
Sadly think MB is nearly passed his sell-by - do wonder if the bad concussion he suffered last season has affected him? Still, he has been an outstanding player for many a year, (same age group as Abendanon) and served his country well. Quins def not firing on all cylinders last night - Exe were rampant.

Matt Garvey - one to add to my List of Forward Talented Adoptees since 2003/4!

MESSAGES->author
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

15 April, 2017 10:41
Quins haven't been great for a few seasons. Having said that I would happily take both their props - KS in particular has great soft hands and passing awareness for such a massive unit. Marler was like a man possessed.

Bathovalballer
Bathovalballer (IP Logged)

15 April, 2017 12:29
Agreed about Marler who I think played nearly the whole game!

Still not sure about Sinckler. He is quick and shows up with his running and certainly he can handle, knows how to give and take a pass. But I do doubt his main role in the tight, as he seems to get his body in weak positions. Yes I would take him as a number two tight head, in the hope he can get better and stronger which he should do as he is only 24.

Also, IMO the Quinn who would seriously add to our running game on last night's showing is Danny Care. I know he will be 31 in January but he is playing at the top of his game at present and as well as doing his scrum half duties very well, he always carries the extra threat as a runner which takes the pressure off of the 10 and keeps opposition back rows on their toes. Love it if we could bring him to the Rec.

Boldngrey
Boldngrey (IP Logged)

15 April, 2017 12:41
I saw a Quins side well held for most of the game.

Ex's last two tries were gifted because Quins were pushing too hard.

But for that here would have only been a point in it.

Ex certainly weren't that much better than Quins.

Slade at 10? Disaster.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

15 April, 2017 12:50
Quote:
Boldngrey

Slade at 10? Disaster.
Didn't see the game as spent most of yesterday on the M4, was that the case then? If so why, handling, kicking?

Boldngrey
Boldngrey (IP Logged)

15 April, 2017 13:14
Poor game management, poor kicking at 10.

Steenson came on. Slade went to 12(?) and was altogether more at home.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 15/04/2017 13:17 by Boldngrey.

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

15 April, 2017 16:04
I'm swayed by Barnes' reading of the breakdown. He gave very few penalties, warns sides off from trying to con a holding on, and so ball in play time appears to be high with him. I'd quite like refs to be stattoed in the way players are - average ball in play time might be an interesting indicator.

MESSAGES->author
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

15 April, 2017 16:42
Yes slade had one of those days kicking out of hand I'm afraid.

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

16 April, 2017 00:03
Quote:
BathMatt53
They don't seem to have brainfarts in that same way as us, Saints, Tigers seem to at the moment. If the see a weak team they just swat it aside, if they are winning in the last quarter they turn the screw. Remember those 22 Exe points include a big swing when we lost at home to them so late in the game. For Sarries to be up there when they lose so many stars for so much of the year to internationals is even more remarkable.
Having said that, our first team isn't any weaker than those teams (if at all) aside from maybe tight 5...and for me the most important...the bench.

21 points is a hell of a margin even if you consider that their win at Bath was fortunate, which I don't incidentally. If the clubs mantioned are as strong as the top 3 then it is poor management & coaching, though ours are only in their first season. However, I'm not holding my breath for next season. We are a nailed on high/middle club & nothing seems to change. We might as well accept it (Sm31)

MESSAGES->author
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

16 April, 2017 16:11
Saints doing the biz against weakened Sarries. Not ideal for us. Saints could get a try bonus here. Ouch.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 16/04/2017 16:23 by BathMatt53.

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

16 April, 2017 16:26
Quote:
BathMatt53
Saints doing the biz against weakened Sarries. Not ideal for us. Saints could get a try bonus here. Ouch.

5th or 6th spot is looking less likely now.

MESSAGES->author
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

16 April, 2017 16:52
WOW! Saints have choaked and Sarries are going to pull back 20-odd points!

MESSAGES->author
CoochieCoo (IP Logged)

16 April, 2017 16:54
Well played Sarries!

http://zdgzqa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1p7Mwi7pLXeM89TY2KFdDQ-UUDGSv1FKNdhYdrW-koAuRN3tsqCPfE3onFxuO-3cZ0057Tom1uJai3vjkz3dvY_Q/1998%20Euro%20Champs.jpg http://zdgzqa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pFul9UAV5zEXOzeRc1kmmlgDKXTYTIlTnGoQzYelH6KzdCeU-exN0IGo74QN2OGvlSoEiVjzAESvHx9BFlBsNFA/Bath%202008.jpg

MESSAGES->author
TCM2007 (IP Logged)

16 April, 2017 16:55
Thank you Sarries. Saints once again choke.

Stuart

Former ed.

MESSAGES->author
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

16 April, 2017 16:58
Quins, saints and us aren't putting out a good advert for the also-rans...

Poor old Bristol. Hope it hasn't ruined the weekend of those who came across to this board to gloat after their win?

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

16 April, 2017 16:58
Quote:
CoochieCoo
Well played Sarries!

+1

Don't like Sarries, but they are everything that Bath aren't. Squad with good depth, top quality 1st team, a bunch of fighters and more importantly winners with a good management team.

gaz59
gaz59 (IP Logged)

16 April, 2017 17:00
Quote:
OutsideBath
Quote:
BathMatt53

5th or 6th spot is looking less likely now.

A new spin on the old Flowerpots mantra of Never in Doubt!

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

16 April, 2017 17:01
Quote:
OutsideBath
Quote:
CoochieCoo
Well played Sarries!

+1

Don't like Sarries, but they are everything that Bath aren't. Squad with good depth, top quality 1st team, a bunch of fighters and more importantly winners with a board that knows how to gain success

MESSAGES->author
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

16 April, 2017 17:02
Yes, and that's why they keep winning domestically and in Europe. Their awesome front 5 can't be understated, even when a few are rested. Billy made a difference when he came on.

by
by (IP Logged)

16 April, 2017 17:20
There really is something special about this Saracens squad.

MESSAGES->author
TCM2007 (IP Logged)

16 April, 2017 17:32
Reminder that Sarries are 3rd, and heading for an away SF, so not all perfection.

Stuart

Former ed.

MESSAGES->author
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

16 April, 2017 17:57
Yes but they have had some really tough euro games to navigate as well as lots of international call ups. Top 3 teams look a different class this year.

Boldngrey
Boldngrey (IP Logged)

16 April, 2017 20:50
Quote:
Stuart Anderton
Reminder that Sarries are 3rd, and heading for an away SF, so not all perfection.

Maybe, but when the chips are down, they deliver.

I wouldn't bet against them in any of the competitions.

annie blackthorn

16 April, 2017 23:06
Sarries sure know how to win games - still utterly ruthless and focussed on the result - even with quite a few of their top players missing. p.s. bit harsh to say Saints bottled it - they lost Picamoles to a neck injury - one of their best players, Myler had his heavily strapped knee 'rolled over' and went off and Foden was, shall we say, unlucky to come across Ashton - and the Ref seemed to have one or two flakey moments towards the end. First half was all theirs.

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

17 April, 2017 07:44
Quote:
Boldngrey
Quote:
Stuart Anderton

+1

Their success stems from havin decent owners with a plan, patience and not changing coaches at the drop of a hat. This coupled with good coaches and a balanced squad equals trophies.

The downside for them is where they play, Bath is without doubt the best location for rugby in the U.K.

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

17 April, 2017 08:00
Quote:
OutsideBath
Quote:
Boldngrey
Quote:
Stuart Anderton

+1

Their success stems from havin decent owners with a plan, patience and not changing coaches at the drop of a hat. This coupled with good coaches and a balanced squad equals trophies.

The downside for them is where they play, Bath is without doubt the best location for rugby in the U.K.

A lot is said about Sarries' plan & sticking with coaches. The fact is their plan worked fairly quickly, nothing like 5 years, so there was every incentive to stick with the plan & the coaches. If things go off the rails it is much more difficult to do so.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 17/04/2017 08:01 by Bath Hammer.

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

17 April, 2017 09:48
No it didn't, there was years of us laughing at the "something special going on at sarries"

MESSAGES->author
TCM2007 (IP Logged)

17 April, 2017 10:15
Sarries initial plan was to spend big on overseas players, which worked very quickly.

In the most recent figures I can find, Sarries lost £4.0m on a turnover of £15.3m. In the same year, we lost £1.8m on a turnover of £14.6m.

So with similar incomes, Sarries spent £2.9m more than us. £9.8m of their spending was on staff.

That explains a fair bit I think.

Stuart

Former ed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 17/04/2017 11:58 by Stuart Anderton.

gaz59
gaz59 (IP Logged)

17 April, 2017 10:40
That is certainly an interesting stat Stuart - suggests strongly of the value of investing but obviously requires careful planning to ensure the expenditure is in the right areas and in the right people

annie blackthorn

17 April, 2017 11:06
Anyone know how much input Nigel Wray still has on the day to day running and mgt? Not a leading question, just interested having met him a few times in the past.

Tiger in the Bath
Tiger in the Bath (IP Logged)

17 April, 2017 11:21
It's unlikely, but possible that Sarries will scrape second and get a home semi. They have Bris at home then Wasps away, and Exeter have Saints at home and Glos away. I expect Sarries to win both of theirs with 9 points but Exeter to get 10. Saints are looking better though and Glos have the occasional inspired day.

Weeksie
Weeksie (IP Logged)

17 April, 2017 12:22
Day to day running of Sarries is done by a gentleman called Heath Harvey- Nigel's role is Chairman of the Board from what I can tell.

gaz59
gaz59 (IP Logged)

17 April, 2017 13:00
For me the one player who really did his cause immense benefit was Lozowski

If Ford goes with the Lions and fails to have impact and/or his shortcomings in defence are further exposed he could well lose out to Lozowski for the 10 shirt in the AIs

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

17 April, 2017 13:12
Have to agree Gaz, Lozowski does all the playmaking but in addition is a real threat through the middle with his physicality and ability to shrug off tacklers.

Ford used to offer a break himself, but since losing that threat looks less potent.

MESSAGES->author
Which Tyler (IP Logged)

17 April, 2017 14:32
Quote:
DanWiley
No it didn't, there was years of us laughing at the "something special going on at sarries"
which was about their cringeworthy PR, and nothing to do with their success or otherwise on the pitch.

A man who cannot change his mind, cannot change anything
RAEBURN SHIELD

Beno Obano - 2016-17 adoptee
http://www.rugbyrebels.co/board/download/file.php?id=117

Beergoggles
Beergoggles (IP Logged)

17 April, 2017 14:40
Quote:
Shipwrecked
Ford used to offer a break himself, but since losing that threat looks less potent.

If I recall Ford made several significant breaks at Twickenham and at one point seemed to be taking on the entire Tigers team with some success.

He's still an absolutely world class act ball in hand but needs go forward ball which we don't often seem to be able to deliver.

gaz59
gaz59 (IP Logged)

17 April, 2017 14:52
Quote:
Beergoggles
Quote:
Shipwrecked

If I recall Ford made several significant breaks at Twickenham and at one point seemed to be taking on the entire Tigers team with some success.

He's still an absolutely world class act ball in hand but needs go forward ball which we don't often seem to be able to deliver.

Every decent 10 will look good with forwards on top - world class acts need to be able to deliver when chips are down and still keeping their team in the game. I don't recall George having done that for us - not disputing his quality just that his current weaknesses are being found out and exploited effectively

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

17 April, 2017 15:25
Quote:
DanWiley

Possibly, but nobody is laughing at them now, reckon we're the butt of most of the jokes.

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

17 April, 2017 17:01
"which was about their cringeworthy PR, and nothing to do with their success or otherwise on the pitch."

Maybe, but they were at best inconsistent on the pitch at the time as well. We're not laughing at them now as they've dropped (to an extent) that line of pr and have a very different philosophy.

Why are people laughing at us? I could see we'd look a bit stupid if we rushed into another coach sacking, but i dint think we're going to do that. Otherwise, we're just one of the 9 teams below the current top tier.

MESSAGES->author
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

17 April, 2017 17:59
Because we have spent a load of cash and got nowhere. Oh and because most other supporters hate the BC and Dylan smugness which BT sport tend to focus on. And because our supporters wear wax jackets and speak well posh like.

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

17 April, 2017 18:14
Quote:
DanWiley
Why are people laughing at us? I could see we'd look a bit stupid if we rushed into another coach sacking, but i dint think we're going to do that. Otherwise, we're just one of the 9 teams below the current top tier.

Because BC has spent loads of money, had numerous coaches and achieved nothing on the pitch.

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

17 April, 2017 18:31
Not really, we had some terrible training facilities that we brought up to standard. We've spent no more than many others on players. Our squad is quite trim.

If you're feeling laughed at you're too sensitive or listening to people who really aren't well informed.

annie blackthorn

17 April, 2017 18:44
We are just one of the Premiership also rans, so disinterest is probably their attitude - unless they are genuine friends who are supporters of other teams and then its mainly - "o dear, sorry about your 'latest' result!(Sm108).

But as long as the Clash was a huge success, do we care? (Sm161)

MESSAGES->author
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

17 April, 2017 18:47
The perception is that we are very rich as a club and other people love it when a rich person / club fail - especially the British who love a plucky underdog. All of the (true) points that you mention are an inconvenient truth - facts that will get in the way of a good bit of posh boy baiting. The salary cap thing didn't help mind. The top notch training facilities don't appear to be doing much good either at the moment.

Not much we can do about it and I suspect that most of us don't care.

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

17 April, 2017 19:06
There's always banter. I don't think that the things you mention make us any more of a laughing stock than any other club.

MESSAGES->author
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

17 April, 2017 19:18
No probably not a laughing stock unless we were relegated. Not on most peoples radar these days as Annie says.

Boldngrey
Boldngrey (IP Logged)

17 April, 2017 20:11
Last year we were a laughing stock with the collapse to 9th.

With a depleted squad and no coach, few would have predicted a 6th position.

We are not a laughing stock. Bath is just Bath. People feed their own prejudices and Bruce etc make easy targets to shoot at.

MESSAGES->author
Which Tyler (IP Logged)

17 April, 2017 20:35
Quote:
DanWiley
"which was about their cringeworthy PR, and nothing to do with their success or otherwise on the pitch."
Maybe, but they were at best inconsistent on the pitch at the time as well. We're not laughing at them now as they've dropped (to an extent) that line of pr and have a very different philosophy.
Hmmm, Sarries antagonism started in 2009 with Venter's arrival, the night of the long knives, and the new PR to actively encourage an "everyone hates us and we don't care" attitude, by... Making everyone hate them, when previously, no-one cared.
Venter came in during the 2009 6N.
Sarries then finished
2009 - 9th
2010 - 3rd
2011 - 2nd
2012 - 3rd
2013 - 1st
2014 - 1st
2015 - 4th
2016 - 1st

So yeah, not exactly "at best inconsistent" and more "at best, the best team in Europe, at worst, premiership semi-finalists" having previously made the top 4 only in 2007, when no-one cared, and no-one was laughing at them, and 2000, when there weren't any play-book (and no-one cared and no-one was laughing at them).

Yeah, not so much laughing at their on-oitch performance from pretty much the day Venter arrived, before Venter arrived of course, no-one was laughing at the them, or hating them (bar some Bath fans bitter at them for stealing Borthers in that way, all of 6 months earlier).

A man who cannot change his mind, cannot change anything
RAEBURN SHIELD

Beno Obano - 2016-17 adoptee
http://www.rugbyrebels.co/board/download/file.php?id=117

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 17/04/2017 20:45 by Which Tyler.

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

17 April, 2017 22:24
I imagine we were a laughing stock to many having almost reached the pinnacle only for everything to come tumbling down at the same time as the Burgess saga unravelling. There was also much antagonism towards us by supporters of clubs like Wasps who thought we had got round the salary cap to bring about undoubted success (Sm161) though there is complete silence over their susequent influx of star players. Now we are just one of a group of teams in mid-table, good on our day, lousy on others, not considered a real threat, no longer a laughing stock, but with the stretching of time since we won anything meaningful, largely disregarded.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 17/04/2017 22:26 by Bath Hammer.

MESSAGES->author
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

17 April, 2017 22:49
Not entirely disregarded - rugby aside people do look forward to a nice away day in Bath..!

Flying Scotsman
Flying Scotsman (IP Logged)

28 April, 2017 21:20
Goodness me, Wasps have been absolutely diabolical tonight. We could have done with them turning up.

DorsetBoy
Dorset Boy (IP Logged)

28 April, 2017 21:24
25-13 to Quns with 6 minutes to go.
Agree, Wasps have been shockingly bad and are down to 14 for the second time.

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

28 April, 2017 21:31
Quote:
Flying Scotsman
Goodness me, Wasps have been absolutely diabolical tonight. We could have done with them turning up.

We shouldn't have to rely on others. I won't be at all surprised if Saints get one over on Exeter tomorrow as well.

DorsetBoy
Dorset Boy (IP Logged)

28 April, 2017 21:33
32-13 full time.

Flying Scotsman

28 April, 2017 21:35
Quote:
Bath Hammer
Quote:
Flying Scotsman

We shouldn't have to rely on others. I won't be at all surprised if Saints get one over on Exeter tomorrow as well.

We shouldn't have to rely on others, you are right. But if BoB is right about tomorrow then we might have to. I prefer to take the glass half full approach to Sunday's game, but I won't lie that I would have preferred to have gone into it safe in the knowledge that top six was secure. Which it probably still is, but you never know.

by
by (IP Logged)

28 April, 2017 21:37
Quins deserved that win, Marchant is one hell of a talent.

The Oilman
The Oilman (IP Logged)

28 April, 2017 21:39
Quins were simply the better side and a real send off for Nick Evans.

Flying Scotsman

28 April, 2017 21:50
Agreed - Marchant looks like a real long-term threat to JJ if he keeps this season's form up. Evans was top quality, yet again. Quins were very good and 100% deserved it, albeit aided massively by Wasps' inept display

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

29 April, 2017 15:20
Worst possible start for Saints as far as Bath are concerned!

dr.bath1865
dr.bath1865 (IP Logged)

29 April, 2017 15:44
It's ok BH. You can cheer up now.

Exe 14 - 7 Saints.

annie blackthorn

29 April, 2017 16:54
Good game for the neutral - if there are any! smiling bouncing smiley

The Oilman
The Oilman (IP Logged)

29 April, 2017 18:31
Quote:
annie blackthorn
Good game for the neutral - if there are any! smiling bouncing smiley

Well, I enjoyed but then I'm probably not considered neutral (Sm100)

DorsetBoy
Dorset Boy (IP Logged)

29 April, 2017 18:57
Our closet Exeter fan will be delighted.

Bathovalballer

29 April, 2017 19:21
Well didn't Exeter play well, considering they were a try down in 10 minutes.

Some come back and they played Saints off the park, with only one superstar. Unlike us of course who cannot perform with 3/4 such stars; and Exe have done us a real favour in beating them without conceding a bonus point.

How is it the journeymen like Woodburn, Whitten, Steenson, Devoto, Horsmaan, Armand et al can play like that and we with all our advantages cannot?

Over to the appeasers.

Bathovalballer

29 April, 2017 19:37
Looking at the league table, assuming Quins beat Saints next week, we lose to Gloucester tomorrow and at Sale (our record there and away this season being poor), we could be relying on Exeter keeping them pointless to ensure we get top Euro rugby next season. So you guys should be cheering them on, shouldn't you?

sid the seagull
sid the seagull (IP Logged)

29 April, 2017 20:41
Well we'll just have to beat Glaws then won't we.

SQUAWK

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

29 April, 2017 21:00
'come back' - they were only behind because they shipped (another) intercept try. They played well (although with a little imprecision) against an absolutely hopeless Saints team. Possession most have been above 70%. Sarries will destroy them (and, to be fair, anyone else).

dr.bath1865
dr.bath1865 (IP Logged)

29 April, 2017 21:12
Shouldn't we just be cheering on Bath?

Boldngrey
Boldngrey (IP Logged)

29 April, 2017 21:17
Quote:
hasta
'come back' - they were only behind because they shipped (another) intercept try. They played well (although with a little imprecision) against an absolutely hopeless Saints team. Possession most have been above 70%. Sarries will destroy them (and, to be fair, anyone else).

+1

I'm happier to be a Bath fan than a Saints fan. All the stars they had today - just wouldn't play for the shirt.

The Oilman
The Oilman (IP Logged)

29 April, 2017 21:19
Quote:
hasta

Saints supporters are ecstatic [www.rugbynetwork.net]

And as for Wasps, you'd think they were about to be relegated [www.rugbynetwork.net]

I guess there is hope for us yet.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 29/04/2017 21:22 by The Oilman.

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

29 April, 2017 21:32
Nevertheless I think BoB has a point. Exeter have improved consistently since they gained promotion & have always had far fewer superstars in their lineup. They have now overtaken Bath by some margin & our comparative under performance has been constantly explained away by trotting out endless excuses. If I could think of one difference between us & Exeter it is the energy, focus & concentration (maybe that's 3!) that they put into their performances week in week out which is something to really admire, as much as it irks some of us. We achieved that level early in the season, having had a pre-season under Toby Booth, but it has declined as the season progressed. We are just far too inconsistent. Clearly Rob Baxter & his coaches are a major factor in this. What is also commendable is that their supporters display no arrogance about their team's performances. They just enjoy their rugby & respect their opponents.

Olde Lagge
Olde Lagge (IP Logged)

29 April, 2017 21:43
BoB ... do your homework. We can't be overtaken by Saints no matter what, due to our number of wins compared to theirs. Therefore we shall finish 6th or 5th, or even 4th in the unlikely event of Bath getting 10 points from Glaws and Sale and Tigers not earning any points next week. Accordingly, Bath will be in the European Champions Cup next season, even if losing tomorrow and next week with no LBP. It is still a match up between Bath and Quins for 5th in the league which could be resolved tomorrow if Bath win.

Flying Scotsman

29 April, 2017 21:49
Exeter were top drawer today. Sure, Saints were loose and way below par but looking at the last two seasons as a whole tthey are some distance better than us at the moment. That's not to say that with a full pre-season and a few new faces that we can't push hard to overtake them by this time next year. But you have to respect 14 prem games unbeaten and eight consecutive try bonus points, being two points clear of the European champions after 21 rounds. That's just outstanding.

If I were a betting man I would put money on a Saracens-Exeter final as I think both teams will get away wins in round 22. I'd fancy Saracens again at Twickenham if that transpires but if Sarries don't win at wasps next week I can very easily see Chiefs beating them at Sandy Park.

Flying Scotsman

29 April, 2017 22:07
Quote:
Olde Lagge
BoB ... do your homework. We can't be overtaken by Saints no matter what, due to our number of wins compared to theirs. Therefore we shall finish 6th or 5th, or even 4th in the unlikely event of Bath getting 10 points from Glaws and Sale and Tigers not earning any points next week. Accordingly, Bath will be in the European Champions Cup next season, even if losing tomorrow and next week with no LBP. It is still a match up between Bath and Quins for 5th in the league which could be resolved tomorrow if Bath win.

That's not strictly true I'm afraid. We could end up 7th if we lose tomorrow and vs Sale (assuming no BP in either) and Gloucester and Quins win in round 22:

Quins can get to 56 with a TBP win at the Gardens
Glaws can get to 56 with TBP wins tomorrow and at home to Exeter.
We are currently on 53pts with 11 wins. Saints cannot overtake us in any event as they only have 48pts and 9 wins.

In this scenario, if we are level on points with Quins owing to us picking up BPs, they would topple us as they'd have 12 wins to our 11. The converse is true with Glaws, as we'd have 11 wins to their 9. So points difference is completely irrelevant now (unless we end up level on points with Tigers (v unlikely), in which case we are humped).

To conclude: just blooming well win tomorrow, and save stattos like me working out permutations next week!

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

29 April, 2017 22:08
But both Quins and Glos could overtake us. We're far from home and hosed for Champions Cup yet.

Olde Lagge
Olde Lagge (IP Logged)

29 April, 2017 22:42
Correct. @#$%&! Yes, we could be overtaken by Gloucs. A must win game tomorrow.

MESSAGES->author
FourSticks (IP Logged)

29 April, 2017 22:44
The lottery of seventh place -

If we finished 7th, we would then have to play (at home) the 9th placed team in Pro12, which will probably be Edinburgh.

Should we win that, then it would be another home match against the winner of the other semi final (Connacht away to any one of eight French teams that could finish 7th).

Trouble is, by the time we get round to playing these matches (should we finish 7th), the Rec would not be available...

Best we just win tomorrow, eh?

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

29 April, 2017 23:50
It's strange but though we have only lost 3 home games this season I have very little confidence about tomorrow. Whatever the outcome I can imagine it will go right to the line.

Flying Scotsman

30 April, 2017 08:37
I know what you mean BH (and wasn't it only two losses, Exeter and Wasps)? Hopefully we are still in it after 55/60 and our bench makes the difference. It's surely our best bench in some time after all.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net

Bath Poll

Where do you think we'll finish this season?

See results > Submit >>