rugbyunion
Latest News:

The COML Message Board

The place for discussion, debate and nonsense about Bath Rugby.

Join our new Facebook Group today!

New visitors please read the house rules before posting

Test your prognostications at our Prediction League

MESSAGES->author
TCM2007 (IP Logged)

New international windows
16 March, 2017 20:11
[www.englandrugby.com]#

So summer tours now in July.

Either our players will have six weeks off and then have to tour, then have another six weeks off. Or maybe Brice will partially get his way and the domestic season will run to the end of June?

Stuart

Former ed.

ShortyinBurnham
ShortyinBurnham (IP Logged)

Re: New international windows
17 March, 2017 08:58
Yup the domestic season is also being changed so that no premiership games clash with autumn internationals or six nations games.

I think it said in the telegraph that the premiership final will only now happen in June as the season will run much longer. England players will still only be able to play the same number of games, it just means the clubs have more choice about when those games will be.

MESSAGES->author
Which Tyler (IP Logged)

17 March, 2017 13:18
Quote:
ShortyinBurnham
Yup the domestic season is also being changed so that no premiership games clash with autumn internationals or six nations games.
I think it said in the telegraph that the premiership final will only now happen in June as the season will run much longer. England players will still only be able to play the same number of games, it just means the clubs have more choice about when those games will be.
Yay, we can ditch the play-offs then.

A man who cannot change his mind, cannot change anythinghttp://www.rugbyrebels.co/board/download/file.php?id=377
RAEBURN SHIELD

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

17 March, 2017 13:56
Ask the players and the clubs if they want to ditch the playoffs.

MESSAGES->author
Which Tyler (IP Logged)

17 March, 2017 14:14
Why would that make me like them?
Why would it change the raison d'etre* for them?
Why would popularity mean that a one-off match is the best way to determine who the best team over the course of 10 months?

I know there's a large school of thought that says that the play-offs have been around for a while now, and therefore everyone must like them, but it's always been a bullshit school of thought

* that being to smooth out the negatives of international player absentees

A man who cannot change his mind, cannot change anythinghttp://www.rugbyrebels.co/board/download/file.php?id=377
RAEBURN SHIELD

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 17/03/2017 14:21 by Which Tyler.

MESSAGES->author
TCM2007 (IP Logged)

17 March, 2017 14:31
That was always post rationisation. The reason is to keep interest in the season going longer for five or six clubs, and to provide a big TV friendly season climax.

Stuart

Former ed.

MESSAGES->author
Which Tyler (IP Logged)

17 March, 2017 15:47
As maybe, but those reasons have never been good enough for myself, or for many others; the smoothing reason was the only one that held any sort of water to counter the argument that the 4th best over the course of 10 months couldn't be considered the best in the league.

I know my renewed complaining is as forlorn as my original complaining; but I see no reason to not complain, or to not bring it up again now that the only justifiable reason (IMO) has been negated.

RAEBURN SHIELD

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

17 March, 2017 16:00
Any change that gives clubs their players for all PL matches has to be good.

Playoffs should definitely be scrapped, but I can't see BT allowing that to happen.

Jack Wilson - Adopted player 2017/18

MESSAGES->author
FourSticks (IP Logged)

17 March, 2017 17:14
The main reason for the playoffs (according to the professional bodies, that is) is to have a single day when the championship is decided and the cup can be awarded to the winners. It is the method used in all major RU and RL leagues, so, no, I doubt very much that we’ll see an end to the playoffs.

That said, recognition for the team finishing top of the league at the end of the season (shield?) would be a fair reward for a long, hard season.

rainbow
rainbow (IP Logged)

17 March, 2017 17:40
Did i misread the DT but it would seem that by the time the new format commences there will be a 13th club in the premiership.

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

17 March, 2017 18:04
13 would be a stupid number of clubs to have. As many ap weeks as 14 but each side cooling it's heels every now and again. I can't see how we've time for it if I'm honest. But then I'm not sure how we fit 12 weeks rest, 16 weeks of internationals, 24 weeks of AP and 9 weeks by HEC into 52 weeks.

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

17 March, 2017 19:01
Certainly no reason you have to change your mind WT, but if the people who're involved think they're a good thing that's certainly a reasonable perspective to consider.

Boldngrey
Boldngrey (IP Logged)

17 March, 2017 20:13
Quote:
FourSticks
The main reason for the playoffs (according to the professional bodies, that is) is to have a single day when the championship is decided and the cup can be awarded to the winners. It is the method used in all major RU and RL leagues, so, no, I doubt very much that we’ll see an end to the playoffs.
That said, recognition for the team finishing top of the league at the end of the season (shield?) would be a fair reward for a long, hard season.

I thought they were also supposed to slightly level the playing field for those teams most disadvantaged during the international periods.

MESSAGES->author
TCM2007 (IP Logged)

18 March, 2017 13:56
Quote:
DanWiley
13 would be a stupid number of clubs to have. As many ap weeks as 14 but each side cooling it's heels every now and again. I can't see how we've time for it if I'm honest. But then I'm not sure how we fit 12 weeks rest, 16 weeks of internationals, 24 weeks of AP and 9 weeks by HEC into 52 weeks.

Those playing in internationals will have to sit out some AP games - just not the same ones at the same time.

Stuart

Former ed.

MESSAGES->author
Which Tyler (IP Logged)

18 March, 2017 14:04
Have you any evidence for that stu? First I've seen of it.

RAEBURN SHIELD

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

18 March, 2017 15:45
Quote:
Stuart Anderton
Quote:
DanWiley

Those playing in internationals will have to sit out some AP games - just not the same ones at the same time.

That's the fundamental problem with Rugby, the international unions have too much control over when the players play.

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

18 March, 2017 19:16
Seems better than the fundamental problem with football.

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

18 March, 2017 22:56
Quote:
DanWiley
Seems better than the fundamental problem with football.

No problem at all with football, clubs take precedence as they pay the wages.

Muzza
Muzza (IP Logged)

19 March, 2017 02:06
Quote:
Outside Bath - That's the fundamental problem with Rugby, the international unions have too much control over when the players play.

This maybe an issue within English rugby but not international rugby. It just in England you have a different model and maybe emphasis.

I cannot speak for other countries but in NZ the All Blacks come first. When McCaw was pulled from the Crusaders for most of the 2014 season to get ready for the RWC2015 I can't recall their supporters getting upset.

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

19 March, 2017 07:47
If you say so, personally I find the dross the England football team serve up an embarrassment and PL teams have lost connection with the indervidual and the nation.

I can't think of much positive to say about English football because it barely exists.

MESSAGES->author
TCM2007 (IP Logged)

19 March, 2017 10:41
Quote:
Which Tyler

Not new, EPS players have a max number of games per season, 32 I think. This new season has 40/41 matches.

They may need to renegotiate the 10 week mandatory pre season rest or we'll end up with no internationals for the first month of the season.

Stuart

Former ed.

MESSAGES->author
CoochieCoo (IP Logged)

19 March, 2017 11:47
I think the Players Association want the 32 figure reduced. I believe 25 has been mooted.

http://zdgzqa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1p7Mwi7pLXeM89TY2KFdDQ-UUDGSv1FKNdhYdrW-koAuRN3tsqCPfE3onFxuO-3cZ0057Tom1uJai3vjkz3dvY_Q/1998%20Euro%20Champs.jpg http://zdgzqa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pFul9UAV5zEXOzeRc1kmmlgDKXTYTIlTnGoQzYelH6KzdCeU-exN0IGo74QN2OGvlSoEiVjzAESvHx9BFlBsNFA/Bath%202008.jpg

MESSAGES->author
TCM2007 (IP Logged)

19 March, 2017 12:09
Every other week off? Nice work if you can get it.

Stuart

Former ed.

Trev's Big Tackle
Trev's Big Tackle (IP Logged)

20 March, 2017 09:29
Quote:
CoochieCoo
I think the Players Association want the 32 figure reduced. I believe 25 has been mooted.

What about the non-EPS players? Any reduction in EPS playing time means a big increase for the non-internationals. Does the Players Association not care about them?

MESSAGES->author
Which Tyler (IP Logged)

20 March, 2017 15:29
Quote:
Stuart Anderton
Quote:
Which Tyler

Not new, EPS players have a max number of games per season, 32 I think.
I had a feeling that that's what you meant. I also have a feeling that 32 is a larger number than 22 (a premierhip season). More to the point, I had a feeling the 32 limit was EPS players only, and changed to mean 64 halves of rugby, since the madatory week off became "must sit the bench once". TBH I'm not even sure the 32 limit applies in any way any more.
Either way. the clubs would have control over which matches to rest the players if that's the case, than the previous case of "must be rested for one of these 3 matches".

Personally, as a fan of player welfare, I'd like to see all players being limited to about 28 matches (or 56 halves) per season (and half that number for U22 front rowers); but then I'd also like to see the premiership reduced to 10 (or even 8) teams and LV= replaced with a proper knock-out competition for the Prem + Champ + however many ND1 teams are needed.

RAEBURN SHIELD

Mike the Taxi
Mike the Taxi (IP Logged)

20 March, 2017 15:49

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

20 March, 2017 16:39
That headline is slightly alarmist. What it basically means is 'Bath without Ford for Worcester away'.

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

20 March, 2017 17:22
If Ford is going to be picked for Bath again then might as well leave him out for a game we have little chance to win. Saracens.

Bathovalballer
Bathovalballer (IP Logged)

20 March, 2017 17:27
Play Ford in the games which are winnable (we hope) and give him his rest this weekend against Sarries where we are most likely to get beat.Also, with the likes of Billy Vunipola running down his channel, he is more likely to pick up an injury.

Rest him this weekend, as it also makes more sense, after the helter skelter and hype of the internationals, bring him down to earth and the more prosaic atmosphere of the club and Farleigh Towers. It will hopefully help him to be reacquainted with his Bath colleagues who he has not played with at the club for over 6 weeks.

MESSAGES->author
TCM2007 (IP Logged)

20 March, 2017 17:36
Be stupid to rest him before Preistland is fit to take his place.

Stuart

Former ed.

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

20 March, 2017 17:51
Wouldn't it also smack of Borthwick's "lack of ambition"? If we start making plans around the idea we can't beat Sarries then what's the point?

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

20 March, 2017 22:42
With a team like:

Catt
Batty
Lahiff
Ewels
Charteris
Denton
Louw
Faletau

Khan
Ford
Banners
Tapuai
JJ
Roko
Watson

We should absolutely be looking to win every remaining game. Otherwise, what's the point?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net