rugbyunion
Latest News:

The COML Message Board

The place for discussion, debate and nonsense about Bath Rugby.

Join our new Facebook Group today!

New visitors please read the house rules before posting

Test your prognostications at our Prediction League

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

quanco
quanco (IP Logged)

Re: Leigh Halfpenny?
25 May, 2017 14:24
Quote:
OutsideBath
Quote:
BathMatt53
Quote:
OutsideBath
Struggling to see why Halfpenny would leave the lifestyle, money and trophy winning potential of Toulon for Bath.

Homesick? I read the other day that Aled Brew still lives over the bridge.

Homesick? Well that totally loses me.

Homesick - maybe he'd fit in well with some of our old stars?

by
by (IP Logged)

25 May, 2017 14:48
Quote:
shipwrecked
Quote:
by
Hes been criticised heavily during the last six nations, perhaps he thinks he needs to leave Toulon in order to rejuvenate his career.

Heavily? By whom?

The media and I think I remember Rob Howley (welsh coach) or Gatland criticised him in an interview, just before the Scotland game?

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

25 May, 2017 16:11
Not at all sure that was criticism more positional discussion with Liam Williams as to wing or full back.

He wasn't kicking all his goals but was only just back from injury. For my money he's not an explosive runner, but he suits Wales game plan in that he can win games by kicking monsters off the tee. That suits Toulon as well so that is obviously why they want him.

As for Bath, he doesn't really fit our style, he will be missing for internationals and Homer is a better fit. As mentioned above Bendy would be good!

Devonport Boy
Devonport Boy (IP Logged)

25 May, 2017 16:46
I'm a huge Nick Abendanon fan - watching him for Clermont a couple of weeks ago made the trip to Murrayfield absolutely worthwhile. He's one of the most exciting, mercurial attacking players ever to wear a Bath shirt in my view, but would he be the right signing for us going forward? Nick was always a bit of a maverick which is one of the things that made him so exciting to watch - but is that the right characteristic for the FB in the team that Todd and Tabs are developing? I'm not sure. He was always a better defender than many gave him credit for , but at nearly 31 the battering that he's taken over the years must surely start to take a toll. Heart says come home Bendy, but the head isn't quite so sure....

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

25 May, 2017 17:24
Depends entirely on his cost. But he's got bags of class and experience and can cover wing and 15.

MESSAGES->author
BathSalmon (IP Logged)

26 May, 2017 08:11
The latest from Gavin Mortimer on Twitter is. Halfpenny is currently on 600k. Toulon have offered a 2 year deal at *350k, justifying this down to on average Halfpenny only play's 10 games a season for Toulon.

Indications are that Halfpenny camp is not satisfied with the offer and there has not been any official response yet from Halfpenny to Toulon. Midi Olympic say they wouldn't be surprised to see Halfpenny leave this summer.

*350 @= 300k

MESSAGES->author
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

26 May, 2017 09:34
30k per game! Nice work if you can get it...

I saw this on another thread, he seems to be 3rd in the Top 14.

[www.lequipe.fr]

(Translation:

And the biggest salaries of the Top 14 are ...

Even if it does not reach the heights of football, rugby is not stingy of big salaries. Here are the top paying players of the Top 14. (Remuneration is expressed in gross / monthly salary
)

P G Tips
P G Tips (IP Logged)

26 May, 2017 15:58
I know it is a short career, but:350K for half a year's work?

Coming towards the end of a career, with injuries more likely, I think he is overvaluing himself if he pushes for more.

PG

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

26 May, 2017 17:27
I find it very hard to take any of these figures at face value.

The Oilman
The Oilman (IP Logged)

05 June, 2017 16:38
Not going to be re-signed by Toulon [www.walesonline.co.uk]

MESSAGES->author
Rampant (IP Logged)

05 June, 2017 16:53
If he is retiring from Wales then maybe...at a push. But not at that price

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

05 June, 2017 17:35
Does he fit?...not at all sure, its not as though we are desperate for a FB.

Bathovalballer
Bathovalballer (IP Logged)

05 June, 2017 19:34
No we are not desperate for a full back, but we are for a tight head, big ball carrying/winning second row and another inside centre, preferably one who is big and can tackle, kick and distribute.

Someone mentioned Itoje but it was ruled out as being highly unlikely. However, we did sign/persuade a certsain Danny Grewcock to come to us from Sarries many years ago at not a dissimilar stage of his burgeoning career. Would be wonderful if we could. Imagine a second row with the athleticism of Itoje at 4 and big Dave 'the tractor' Attwood at 5. Now that would be very special.

Personally, I still would like Launchbury to come to us, as he is such a allround skilled hard working lock who will only get better with age.

SaintED
SaintED (IP Logged)

05 June, 2017 19:58
I think you've more chance of getting Ford Jnr back than either of Launchbury or Itoje but I guess a boy (man) can dream smiling smiley

by
by (IP Logged)

05 June, 2017 20:20
Halfpenny would be an excellent signing, so long as we also sign a TH and lock.

MESSAGES->author
BathSalmon (IP Logged)

05 June, 2017 20:28
All eyes on how he performs on Wednesday (goal kicking aside).

HamishMilner
Big Dog (IP Logged)

06 June, 2017 11:10
I think Charlie Ewels is developing very nicely into the athletic ball playing lock you are referring to BoB. Similar development to Itoje too. U20's captain to starting at club to England...

Could well be another year or so and Ewels is held in high regard in the same way. Just needs to develop his speed I think and maybe his breakdown work which is an area Itoje is so strong and like an extra back row. He does call the lineouts though which at 22 or what not shows great maturity.

I really do not want Halfpenny here. I feel his preferred style of play at fullback goes against what Bath supporters like to see. I for one would rather an exciting running player join us that a solid, safe excellent goal kicker. Liam Williams for example would have been superb and imo should be the fullback for Wales given his form there. Homer and Watson are perfect options here and I think we are better of recruiting elsewhere tbh.

dcsh
dcsh (IP Logged)

06 June, 2017 19:25
Eggchasers podcast mentioned the rumor the Halfpenny could be on his way the Saints, possibly using up some of the cash they got for Picamoles. Hard to see that being the best use of the cash. They also mentioned Moriarty could be going there too, to bolster the backrow.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

06 June, 2017 19:42
North, Halfpenny, Moriarty, Lawes , Wood, Hartley, Harrison, come the 6N they may be a bit short!

HamishMilner
Big Dog (IP Logged)

07 June, 2017 12:30
Quote:
shipwrecked
North, Halfpenny, Moriarty, Lawes , Wood, Hartley, Harrison, come the 6N they may be a bit short!

Not sure Wood and Harrison are likely to be 6 Nations regulars.. Can't see Moriarty being allowed to leave by Gloucester, nor him likely to want to move to a new club as that would put his international future at risk I believe? I believe a new contract since the change in Gatlands law means he would have to be picked as one of the 3/4 exterior to Wales selections which when you have Faletau, Liam Williams and Halfpenny all currently outside of Wales for next year would be a risky move by Moriarty if he wants to gain more caps!

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

07 June, 2017 13:45
Quote:
by
Halfpenny would be an excellent signing, so long as we also sign a TH and lock.

Do we need yet another player that will spend most of the season on international duty?

Chris Cook - Adopted player 2016/17

Substitute
Substitute (IP Logged)

07 June, 2017 15:59
I think it's time for a SCW approach: We need two squads.

A 'test' squad and then a mid-international squad.

It worked well for the Lions (or it will do soon when compared to the current tour's form).

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

13 June, 2017 17:22
Interesting that MB has stated the Toulon 750,000 contract was withdrawn because he wasn't available for the final and would miss the first 3 games of next season.

MESSAGES->author
woodpecker (IP Logged)

13 June, 2017 17:26
Quote:
Substitute
I think it's time for a SCW approach: We need two squads.
A 'test' squad and then a mid-international squad.

It worked well for the Lions (or it will do soon when compared to the current tour's form).

Those halcyon days of 2005

MESSAGES->author
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

13 June, 2017 19:02
Quote:
shipwrecked
Interesting that MB has stated the Toulon 750,000 contract was withdrawn because he wasn't available for the final and would miss the first 3 games of next season.

More like LH didn't sign immediately and MB threw his toys out of the pram as usual?

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

31 July, 2017 17:52
Looks like he will end up in Wales after all. 1/2p set to join Scarlets on NDC

MESSAGES->author
Clarkey3k (IP Logged)

31 July, 2017 17:55
Quote:
shipwrecked
Looks like he will end up in Wales after all. 1/2p set to join Scarlets on NDC

I look forward to watching him at the Rec in the big cup Scarlets game and then deciding if we made a big mistake not signing him...

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

31 July, 2017 21:52
I have to say I don't think we've really missed out. I just hope it ear more of a distraction for the supporters than the management.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net

Bath Poll

Where do you think we'll finish this season?

See results > Submit >>