rugbyunion
Latest News:

The COML Message Board

The place for discussion, debate and nonsense about Bath Rugby.

Join our new Facebook Group today!

New visitors please read the house rules before posting

Test your prognostications at our Prediction League

MESSAGES->author
plong (IP Logged)

FH Josh Lewis Joins Bath
28 March, 2017 09:10
[www.bathrugby.com]

Adopted Players
2017-18: Sam Underhill
2016-17: Will Homer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 28/03/2017 09:11 by plong.

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

Re: FH Josh Lewis Joins Bath
28 March, 2017 09:54
Seems sensible enough signing. We have no obvious 3rd choice coming through the Academy.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

28 March, 2017 09:55
Pleased with this - welcome Josh. Looks like a solid squad player / back-up at FH (i.e. one that wouldn't put a shiver down my spine in the way A.Hastings does), particularly if Rhys continues to struggle with injury. Lets face is he certainly won't be a wimp having done his thing in the Welsh development tiers for the last few years.

HamishMilner
Big Dog (IP Logged)

28 March, 2017 10:07
Finally a third choice fly-half option who is not at school still!

Bathovalballer
Bathovalballer (IP Logged)

28 March, 2017 10:25
Does anyone know if he is any good and has potential? I cannot find much about him.

adonisbrah
theflier (IP Logged)

28 March, 2017 10:28
Isn't there an equally skilled english 10, this guys plays in the dragons region, and is not selected for them

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

28 March, 2017 10:39
15 x signings, announced (iirc) since the beginning of the season and a very rough, ready-reckoner of their impact, + positive, or = unproven.

Paul Grant +
Shaun Knight =
Darryl Marfo =
Sam Nixon =
Michael Van Vuuren =
Chris Brooker =
Jo Graham =
Nathan Charles =

Aled Brew +
Ben Tapuai +
Robbie Fruean =
Jack Wilson =
Harry Davies =
Darren Allinson =
Josh Lewis =

Beergoggles
Beergoggles (IP Logged)

28 March, 2017 11:37
I'd rate Robbie Fruean as positive but frequently broken.

HamishMilner
Big Dog (IP Logged)

28 March, 2017 11:55
I'd say Jack Wilson has been a + one to be fair. Has scored in nearly every game he has played has he not!

May not be on the same quality as a Watson/Roko/Banners etc but as that second choice squad player who can step up he and Brew have been impressive for me.

MESSAGES->author
Clarkey3k (IP Logged)

28 March, 2017 12:22
Quote:
Optimist
15 x signings, announced (iirc) since the beginning of the season and a very rough, ready-reckoner of their impact, + positive, or = unproven.
Paul Grant + SH
Shaun Knight = EQP
Darryl Marfo = EQP
Sam Nixon = EQP
Michael Van Vuuren = SH
Chris Brooker = EQP
Jo Graham = EQP
Nathan Charles = SH
Aled Brew + Welsh
Ben Tapuai + SH
Robbie Fruean = SH
Jack Wilson = SH
Harry Davies = Welsh
Darren Allinson = EQP
Josh Lewis = Welsh

How many EQP's in that list? More SH/Welsh players if memory serves me. TB and DE need another contact book imho.

Just checked; EQP = 5; SH = 6; Welsh = 3

Adopted players: 2017-18 T Faletau; [17] D Denton; [16] H. Agulla; [15] L Houston; [14] W Spencer; [13] F. Louw

Change a life with a loan [www.deki.org.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 28/03/2017 16:42 by Clarkey3k.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

28 March, 2017 13:11
Quote:
Clarkey3k
How many EQP's in that list? More SH/Welsh players if memory serves me. TB and DE need another contact book imho...

I would like to see you assemble a team of top quality EPS from those which are available after the season starts? To be fair several of those are LW just because they had no job - if London Scottish had gone to the wall instead no doubt there would be moans about all the Scots!

Harry D and MVV weren't even Todds signings

[www.bbc.co.uk]
[www.bbc.co.uk]

If Nathan Charles really is Welsh then there is something really wrong with my Geography and my eyesight as that looks like a Gold shirt in the pics rather than red?

MESSAGES->author
jayeatman (IP Logged)

28 March, 2017 13:13
This is the sort and quantity of players Bath needs. Hopefully in the coming season, TB and his team will keep more of them fit, get the best out of them and turn them into a TEAM.

BATH supporter since 1975

Adopted players:
2015/6 Tom Homer
2016/7 Matt Banahan
2017/8 Jeff Williams

gaz59
gaz59 (IP Logged)

28 March, 2017 13:29
Seems a sensible recruit - highly unlikely to challenge for the starting shirt if either/both Freddie and Rhys available but can do a steady job when given chance for example in A-W cup or fill in for injury if required

Which then begs the question of what is the strategy if we are seriously chasing Halfpenny?

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

28 March, 2017 15:00
From what people are saying, I'd honestly be happier with either a youngster or a Henson like IC that can cover from 12 or 15. Probably a senior player who can cover and a youngster would be great.

A third choice who we already feel isn't going to challenge our 2 starters seems a waste of money. Think of it this way:

- I we do get to a situation where he has to start, are you really going to be confident?
- Is he putting any pressure on first or second choice?
- Do we feel that, if Freddie and Rhys were injured for 3 months+, we'd do significantly worse with a medical joker?

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

28 March, 2017 16:28
Plenty of players playing in lower leagues have turned out to be good - so lets give him a chance (maybe 10 mins at the end of a game) before we say that he isn't a grunter, can't kick or pass and is an overpaid mercenary who is only here because his dad watched once?

MESSAGES->author
woodpecker (IP Logged)

28 March, 2017 16:30
The fact he decked Cips means he's a good egg, despite his age

Substitute
Substitute (IP Logged)

28 March, 2017 16:47
Quote:
woodpecker
The fact he decked Cips means he's a good egg, despite his age

Different Josh?

MESSAGES->author
JimDaff (IP Logged)

28 March, 2017 20:24
Quote:
BathMatt53
Plenty of players playing in lower leagues have turned out to be good - so lets give him a chance (maybe 10 mins at the end of a game) before we say that he isn't a grunter, can't kick or pass and is an overpaid mercenary who is only here because his dad watched once?

Exactly; Leeeeeroy was playing second division in France when we picked him up, that turned out pretty well!

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

28 March, 2017 21:47
Quote:
Bathovalballer
Does anyone know if he is any good and has potential? I cannot find much about him.

Josh Lewis profile. Nigel Davies (ex Glos) thinks he can step up. Kicks his goals and isn't a shirker in the tackle, only seen him once though but you get the impression he has a varied game and makes good decisions. He is too good for the Welsh Premiership. Decent summary of his game in the video below:

benjbath
benjbath (IP Logged)

28 March, 2017 23:08
A solid, ball playing ten who doesn't shirk the physical side. Not too flash, but I wouldn't be too scared of him stepping up at this stage. Give the bloke a chance!

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

29 March, 2017 00:46
Before reacting to this signing can someone tell me who Saracens, Wasps & Exeter have as their third choice fly halves? The highlights clip looks impressive but he seems to be facing almost no defence & very often such clips are totLly misleading. Likewise Nigel Davies thinking that he can step up is not much of a vote of confidence. Hopefully he'll be a useful signing but we don't really have any idea.

Bathovalballer

29 March, 2017 01:20
Saracens have the young England under 20 star Malins who looks really classy, and Wasps have another Under 20's cap Umaga and Exeter have Joe Simmonds or Will Hooley (Ex Saints) if you consider Steenson and Slade as the first choices. Makes our resources look pretty thin in comparison!!

Substitute
Substitute (IP Logged)

29 March, 2017 04:28
Well we had Brett Herron and Adam Hastings who were essentially the Irish and Scottish analogue of Malins or Umaga (i.e. international U20 FH).

I don't recall many people asking for another Hastings...

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

29 March, 2017 06:31
Surely Wasps would have Cips, Gopperth and Beale? Umaga is a baby faced 18 year old, great potential but definitely not ready for prem rugby.

Saracens have Farrell, Lozowski and Goode - although Malins does look like he can hold his own.

It seems that we have an issue with a lack of a top class utility who can play at 10 but won't sit on the bench the rest of the time...But Josh Lewis should do a job. Of course the other point is that Cips / Gopperth are rarely injured and Rhys is rarely not injured...

MESSAGES->author
hemington (IP Logged)

29 March, 2017 06:56
Quote:
Substitute
Well we had Brett Herron and Adam Hastings who were essentially the Irish and Scottish analogue of Malins or Umaga (i.e. international U20 FH).

And isn't Jennings an England U20 fly half?

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

29 March, 2017 06:59
Quote:
Bath Hammer
Before reacting to this signing can someone tell me who Saracens, Wasps & Exeter have as their third choice fly halves? The highlights clip looks impressive but he seems to be facing almost no defence & very often such clips are totLly misleading. Likewise Nigel Davies thinking that he can step up is not much of a vote of confidence. Hopefully he'll be a useful signing but we don't really have any idea.

Which is why I said he is too good for the Welsh premiership, we don't know if he is good enough for the AP but Nigel Davis does know the AP so I don't think you can dismiss his opinion. I think he can recognise a good ten as well, his kid should be starting for Wales!

As Substitute and Bathmatt have said, projects are all very well but do we want to experiment all the time? Especially when there is no guarantee they will stay.
he deserves a shot, at least he won't make school boy errors because well, he is not a school boy.

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

29 March, 2017 07:23
Quote:
BathMatt53
Surely Wasps would have Cips, Gopperth and Beale? Umaga is a baby faced 18 year old, great potential but definitely not ready for prem rugby.
Saracens have Farrell, Lozowski and Goode - although Malins does look like he can hold his own.

It seems that we have an issue with a lack of a top class utility who can play at 10 but won't sit on the bench the rest of the time...But Josh Lewis should do a job. Of course the other point is that Cips / Gopperth are rarely injured and Rhys is rarely not injured...

I thought it was something like that. An experienced player who can slot in at f/h is what we are lacking it seems. The trouble with the likes of Josh is they never have a chance to get enough match play experience so when they are needed they aren't ready for it.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

29 March, 2017 07:57
Quote:
Bath Hammer
The trouble with the likes of Josh is they never have a chance to get enough match play experience so when they are needed they aren't ready for it.

I think that, based on the injury history of both our front line 10s (Freddie average, Rhys poor) that he will get plenty of chances...

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

29 March, 2017 09:30
On another note, Josh Lewis at Ebbw vale seems to be playing the same role as Ford and Farrell with his IC sharing distribution. Not sure I have seen that outside of the England set up, anyone know of other examples?

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

29 March, 2017 09:46
Anytime Mike Catt, Olly Barkley, Dan Bowden, Gavin Henson, Matt Giteau etc. played 12?

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

29 March, 2017 10:22
Wasps this year with Gopperth and Cips?

graham_t
graham t (IP Logged)

29 March, 2017 10:45
Josh Lewis- an Ebbw Vale perspective

[www.evrfc.co.uk]

MESSAGES->author
Rawce (IP Logged)

29 March, 2017 11:36
Quote:
graham t
Josh Lewis- an Ebbw Vale perspective
[www.evrfc.co.uk]
Encouraging write up, though the accuracy of the "leaving for one of the top UK teams" statement is currently up for debate!

Bathovalballer

29 March, 2017 11:46
I thought it was a very warming tribute to one of their own, being encouraged and applauded for trying and winning a contract at a club (English at that) who play in a higher level league.

Like others, presently I found the 'top UK team' rating difficult to recognise but it does show that we at Bath are considered to be a top club amongst our peers and I take solace in that. Regrettably our recent form and results do not reflect that. Lets just hope his arrival might help change things around and we have unearthed a real talent.

Only slight concern is he did have a serious long term injury at the Scarlets. Let us hope our medical team have given him a thorough examination and a clean bill of health.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

29 March, 2017 11:57
BOB, there must be hundreds if not thousands of rugby teams in the UK - your failure to acknowledge that Bath (like anyone in the Premiership or Pro 12 for that matter) are one of the leading teams in UK rugby is a bit silly.
'
If they had said THE top team then fine - we aren't. 'One of the leading teams' in UK rugby is clearly correct.

MESSAGES->author
Which Tyler (IP Logged)

29 March, 2017 12:13
Quote:
BathMatt53

Ford > Priestland > Bowden > Hastings > Jennings
I know he's injured a lot, but Bowden IS still a Bath player - and one who is supposed to fill precisely the rolw many people here think we don't have anyone for.

As for BoB's most recent nonsence; Bath categorically are amongst the top 20 rugby teams in the UK; surely even BoB can't deny that.
There's a (very) good case to be made that we're amongst the top 10 rugby teams in the UK (top 5s of Prem and Pro).
Ebw Vale.... aren't either of those things

A man who cannot change his mind, cannot change anything
http://www.rugbyrebels.co/board/download/file.php?id=377
RAEBURN SHIELD

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 29/03/2017 12:18 by Which Tyler.

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

29 March, 2017 12:23
Bowden isn't still a Bath player - he's been released from his contract back to NZ.

MESSAGES->author
Which Tyler (IP Logged)

29 March, 2017 12:41
Okay, I'll get back in my box.

When did that happen?

A man who cannot change his mind, cannot change anything
http://www.rugbyrebels.co/board/download/file.php?id=377
RAEBURN SHIELD

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

29 March, 2017 13:02

HamishMilner
Big Dog (IP Logged)

30 March, 2017 12:51
Quote:
shipwrecked
On another note, Josh Lewis at Ebbw vale seems to be playing the same role as Ford and Farrell with his IC sharing distribution. Not sure I have seen that outside of the England set up, anyone know of other examples?

I think you need to watch more rugby outside of England games then!!

Watch some Super Rugby and you will not see many teams that do not have a 10/12/15 that all share the distribution! My personal favourite teams to watch anywhere in the world atm are the Hurricanes and the Chiefs in NZ Super rugby.
The Chiefs have Aaron Cruden, Damian McKenzie and Anton Lienert-Brown who all distribute from first/second receiver in the backline.
Hurricanes have Beauden Barrett, Jordie Barrett and well actually their whole team handles beautifully at times!

Teams other than England who play with that style that I can think of;
Australia - Foley/Giteau from the WC was very successful. Also could have Lealifano and Toomua at either of 10/12 for them
Reds - When the Reds won Super rugby in 2011 they had Quade Cooper and our very own Ben Tapuai at 10 and 12
NZ - Carter and Nonu
England - Wilkinson and Greenwood

Just because a team has a player who isn't positionally also a 10 by trade doesn't mean it's not happening everywhere!

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

30 March, 2017 13:41
Appreciate that Big Dog, I was aware of it happening outside the UK, I meant in the UK. I don't see a lot of SH rugby so in that you are right.

As a general rule though if we take Ford and Farrell as an example it usually end up as Ford at 10 and Farrell at 12 positionally. What I found interesting is that Lewis often ended up outside his centre. I originally thought it was just a matter of expediency but it's a genuine tactic. Of course you need talented footballers to have the skills to do it.

I'll try to watch more Super Rugby, but I like to see local live stuff.

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

30 March, 2017 14:26
Forgive my profound ignorance but can someone tell me the difference between distributing & passing except that the latter doesn't involve the boot? Surely all backs need to pass well but some just do it better than others?

Huxster
Huxster (IP Logged)

30 March, 2017 14:50
Distribution is the tactical application of the skill of passing just as
Defence is the tactical application of tackling

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v654/Huxster8/Huxster6.jpg

B4thB4ck
B4thB4ck (IP Logged)

30 March, 2017 16:05
Even though highlights clips can be deceiving that was one of the better ones I thought.

Can he kick off his left f........ Let's not go there.

HamishMilner
Big Dog (IP Logged)

30 March, 2017 16:12
Quote:
Bath Hammer
Forgive my profound ignorance but can someone tell me the difference between distributing & passing except that the latter doesn't involve the boot? Surely all backs need to pass well but some just do it better than others?

In an ideal world every player on the pitch can pass, catch & offload well!! Re. my above points about Super Rugby you will see every player on the pitch making passes and offloading out of the tackle. That is why it is perceived as a better standard of rugby.

Agree with Huxster - distribution is the tactical side of it. I would also argue within that, a good distributor tends to be a good decision maker too - timing of the pass, hitting the correct option to manipulate the defence or put a colleague into space.

I like the fact that Lewis is more on the outside channels too as often it is the final pass that lets down a backline. It makes sense therefore to have your best distributor making the decisions on these outside channels at times to release the backline - plus if you have other players who are good enough to make the initial pass from first receiver, which any professional should be able to, it can take the strain off of the 10 always being there. I believe with a top 9 it allows the 10 to do this.

You see Finn Russell running the outside channels a lot actually for Scotland and Glasgow. With 10's that have a better running game like him and Beauden Barrett they favour this as can also use their physical abilities, such as running and stepping before the pass to further manipulate a defence. Ford on the other hand has looked to more straighten and allow his team mates to run the lines than run it himself this season, perhaps because he is becoming used to having that second distributor outside of him at England which he does not get as often (or consistently the same person) for Bath.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

30 March, 2017 17:06
Tapuai aside, I guess Kyle (who rarely played) or Bowden (who rarely played) would be our best 12 distributors of recent years off Ford? Oh, and Banners of course...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net