rugbyunion
Latest News:

The COML Message Board

The place for discussion, debate and nonsense about Bath Rugby.

Join our new Facebook Group today!

New visitors please read the house rules before posting

Test your prognostications at our Prediction League

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Hamptonite
Hamptonite (IP Logged)

Robbie Fruean
23 April, 2017 07:46
Neil Fissler in today's The Rugby Paper suggests that Fruean has been to Edinburgh for a medical ahead of a move to Richard Cockerills new team for next season.

Disappointing if true as our coaches obviously hold him in decent regard......and we haven't seen enough of him due to injury!

MESSAGES->author
CountryMike (IP Logged)

Re: Robbie Fruean
23 April, 2017 08:09
I expect he's covering himself just in case we don't offer him a new contract. I hope we do because when fit he is a beast

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

23 April, 2017 08:23
I haven't seen enough of him here to feel strongly either way. If we don't offer him a contract I'm sure it's for a reason.

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

23 April, 2017 08:24
Don't worry it's only Fissler so highly unlikely to have any accuracy.

Chris Cook - Adopted player 2016/17

Boldngrey
Boldngrey (IP Logged)

23 April, 2017 08:59
Agree bout not seeing enough of him to form a real opinion, but I am concerned at the amount of time he has been sick.

This is reflected at his previous clubs and I wonder if his time is running out.

MESSAGES->author
CountryMike (IP Logged)

23 April, 2017 09:39
Hopefully he'll get some game time before the end of the season to prove himself. I think he's worth the gamble.

Boldngrey
Boldngrey (IP Logged)

23 April, 2017 10:43
I have visions of Dan Bowden.

Hamptonite
Hamptonite (IP Logged)

23 April, 2017 11:15
Quote:
Boldngrey
I have visions of Dan Bowden.

But rather larger......and hopefully quicker!

MESSAGES->author
FourSticks (IP Logged)

23 April, 2017 16:37
Curious, isn’t it? Todd and co like Fruean, know him well and want him to stay at Bath (if the Chron is to be believed). Yet there are rumours of him travelling to Edinburgh.

I suppose the lure of a longer contract than the one Bath are prepared to offer is more appealing to him.

dr.bath1865
dr.bath1865 (IP Logged)

23 April, 2017 16:51
He was superb when he came on today. Almost singlehandedly won us the game with his impact.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

23 April, 2017 17:24
Quote:
FourSticks
Curious, isn’t it? Todd and co like Fruean, know him well and want him to stay at Bath (if the Chron is to be believed). Yet there are rumours of him travelling to Edinburgh.
I suppose the lure of a longer contract than the one Bath are prepared to offer is more appealing to him.

Well its possible, however, if he is going then wouldn't that mean there is a replacement lined up, I'm not sure the story rings true though.

BathBurger
BathBurger (IP Logged)

23 April, 2017 17:33
Quote:
CountryMike
I expect he's covering himself just in case we don't offer him a new contract. I hope we do because when fit he is a beast

This seems most likely to me. I hope we do also and given Blackadder has worked with him before I would be very surprised if he were to leave at the end of the season.

Rolfs_Cartoon_Club
@Hydor18 (IP Logged)

24 April, 2017 09:45
Yesterday showed exactly why we need to sign this guy for at least one more season.

robhumperson
Humpo (IP Logged)

24 April, 2017 10:03
Yep, as above. He was outstanding when he came on. Would like to see him given the 12 shirt for a run in the final 2 games.

Beergoggles
Beergoggles (IP Logged)

24 April, 2017 10:45
He's big and runs straight. If he can be fit to play 75% of the games then he's a good option.

Kidney Stone
Kidney Stone (IP Logged)

24 April, 2017 17:23
Fruen is a monster, just the sort of hard ar$ed guy we need.

Give him a contract guys.

MESSAGES->author
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

24 April, 2017 17:44
I have no doubt at all that he will get another year.

[www.bathchronicle.co.uk]

Looks like he has just been unlucky the last year (according to Matson).

MESSAGES->author
FourSticks (IP Logged)

24 April, 2017 17:52
Quote:
Shipwrecked
if he is going then wouldn't that mean there is a replacement lined up

I think you invest them with more sense than they probably have. I suspect they have been overly complacent and failed to act quickly enough.

BathBurger
BathBurger (IP Logged)

24 April, 2017 21:29
Quote:
BathMatt53
I have no doubt at all that he will get another year.
[www.bathchronicle.co.uk]

Looks like he has just been unlucky the last year (according to Matson).

Good to hear. Hopefully the talks go well!

bathleds
bathleds (IP Logged)

24 April, 2017 22:19
Think we are too late to sign him up again. Edinburgh moved quickly and he has a family to feed so looks like we were far too complacent in thinking that he would wait for the new deal.... Fingers crossed this isn't the case but i think we are too late.

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

24 April, 2017 22:27
It's one of those which could go one of two ways. No doubting his ability but it could be he is now too prone to injury. Hopefully for him that is not the case but think of Moody, Bowden, Matawalu etc.etc.

Bryan Allen
beastieboy (IP Logged)

25 April, 2017 19:15
Great isn't it? Pay his wages for 6 months for 40 minutes of rugby and then he b*ggers off! Hope he stays and hope he stays fit!

BathBurger
BathBurger (IP Logged)

25 April, 2017 20:17
[m.bathchronicle.co.uk]

This doesn't sound too promising...

MESSAGES->author
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

25 April, 2017 20:37
Most importantly, congratulations to him and his wife on the birth of his new baby!

mfzeus
freddyf (IP Logged)

25 April, 2017 20:38
While i think this guy has the potential to be great in the BB&W I just don't believe he's going to stay fit. If leaves and he's fit, we'll be sorry he didn't sign. If he stays and gets injured again, we'll wish we were spending his wages somewhere else

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 25/04/2017 20:39 by mfzeus.

Bathovalballer
Bathovalballer (IP Logged)

25 April, 2017 20:47
From that interview, it does not sound to me he is anything like fully committed to Bath, even after we have paid him and for his recovery for the past 6 months for about 40 minutes of rugby.

Ok it is a short career and he may have been unlucky with injuries, but I personally do not want us held to ransom by players who are just looking to their own future without a thought for the cub that employs him and his team mates. He clearly states his priority is playing for Samoa, and that means, he is not available to the club.

Let him go and quickly.

MESSAGES->author
joethefanatic (IP Logged)

25 April, 2017 20:53
I think Khaaaaaaaaaaaaaan's priority is playing for Samoa, as well, so that shouldn't really be a disqualifier. Fruean has the potential to have a similar impact (in a different way), so I'd sign him up - if we can.

... IMHO, of course.

Now in Honolulu

Boldngrey
Boldngrey (IP Logged)

25 April, 2017 20:59
Quote:
Bathovalballer
From that interview, it does not sound to me he is anything like fully committed to Bath, even after we have paid him and for his recovery for the past 6 months for about 40 minutes of rugby.
Ok it is a short career and he may have been unlucky with injuries, but I personally do not want us held to ransom by players who are just looking to their own future without a thought for the cub that employs him and his team mates. He clearly states his priority is playing for Samoa, and that means, he is not available to the club.

Let him go and quickly.

Maybe we can send him to Exeter like we did with Matawalu!

MESSAGES->author
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

25 April, 2017 21:17
Quote:
Bathovalballer

Let him go and quickly.

OMG you are turning into a caricature BOB...if you had your way we would have about 1 player. Are people not allowed to consider their options at the end of their contract?

Boldngrey
Boldngrey (IP Logged)

25 April, 2017 21:19
Matt

Just another player he's mistaken for Mercer.

dr.bath1865
dr.bath1865 (IP Logged)

25 April, 2017 22:23
I wonder what position he thinks he should be playing in order to give himself the best chance of being selected for the next World Cup? And I wonder if that position tallies with what Todd/Tabai want from the Bath backline?

JJ is - quite rightly - our first choice 13. He'll start our big league and Euro games.
Do we want a distributor at 12 outside of Burns/RP? Then that's not Fruean, that's Taps.
Roko is our first choice 14 so then Fruean is in a straight shoot-out with Banahan - a Bath legend - for the left wing. But doeS Fruean even want to play on the wing?

I guess that he might be demanding first team rugby in his preferred position so that he stands the best chance of playing in the next World Cup. Which is fair enough. Considering (I think) he's best at 13, and has played most of his rugby there in NZ if I remember correctly, then he simply might not want to stay at Bath because of JJ.

I'd love him to stay. I think he really adds something to our squad but sometimes it just doesn't work out.

MESSAGES->author
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

25 April, 2017 22:34
Good utility back to cover JJ when away with England for starters and then somewhere else when JJ is around.

dr.bath1865
dr.bath1865 (IP Logged)

25 April, 2017 23:16
That's fine/ideal from our perspective but it likely won't be a scenario that gets him into an All Black World Cup squad.

MESSAGES->author

26 April, 2017 00:58
Quote:
dr.bath1865
That's fine/ideal from our perspective but it likely won't be a scenario that gets him into an All Black World Cup squad.

He'd need to be playing in NZ for that to happen, so not really our problem.

... IMHO, of course.

Now in Honolulu

BathPatriot
BathPatriot (IP Logged)

26 April, 2017 01:09
Hope he stays.

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

26 April, 2017 02:01
If he was anywhere near an All Black cap he wouldn't have signed for us & if he was that good he'd be practically first on the team sheet when fit.

MESSAGES->author
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

26 April, 2017 07:25
The report says he wants to be in the Samoa squad not the ABs. I hope he stays too BP.

MESSAGES->author
woodpecker (IP Logged)

26 April, 2017 09:05
I'm outraged by that interview, he should be sacked immediately, its time's like these when I despair that we cant flog people.

dr.bath1865
dr.bath1865 (IP Logged)

26 April, 2017 09:37
Oops. Sincere apologies. My immense oversight.

With all due respect to Samoa, I reckon he can get picked in their squad whilst being picked in the 23 shirt for Bath.

DownSouth
DownSouth (IP Logged)

26 April, 2017 09:56
Quote:
woodpecker
I'm outraged by that interview, he should be sacked immediately, its time's like these when I despair that we cant flog people.

You're right. He should be banned from considering any other options, let alone playing any other rugby, for anyone else but Bath (even though hardly any of the team 'want' to be playing their best) at least until he's repaid the club for all his medical bills.

The nerve of the man.

MESSAGES->author
woodpecker (IP Logged)

26 April, 2017 09:59
Let this be a lesson to you Bath players:

Andrés Escobar Saldarriaga (13 March 1967 – 2 July 1994) was a Colombian footballer who played as a defender. He played for Atlético Nacional, BSC Young Boys, and the Colombia national team.

Escobar was murdered in the aftermath of the 1994 FIFA World Cup, reportedly as retaliation for having scored an own goal which contributed to the team's elimination from the tournament.

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

26 April, 2017 10:13
Has anyone checked if he's a witch? He looks a bit like one. And he weighs the same as a duck...

Boldngrey
Boldngrey (IP Logged)

26 April, 2017 10:18
Are you sure you're not mistaking him for Guy Mercer?

ken_jnr
ken_jnr (IP Logged)

26 April, 2017 11:02
That's the problem with this board, too many apologists going easy on the professional rugby player with a family to feed and a future to consider who has already had some serious injuries and medical conditions that may affect his long term earning potential.

Death to the infidel.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e87/ken_jnr/KEN_JNRcopy.jpg

Rolfs_Cartoon_Club
@Hydor18 (IP Logged)

26 April, 2017 11:57
Interesting that he's being linked to a Pro12 side, and not an AP one. Makes me wonder whether English sides may be shy of him because of the number of volumes his medical notes have reached.

MESSAGES->author
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

26 April, 2017 12:33
he says that he has a number of options, not just Pro12

Danchinho
Danchinho (IP Logged)

26 April, 2017 12:56
Hope he stays fit and stays at Bath. Would be a big player for us.

I probably don't know what i'm talking about.

ken_jnr
ken_jnr (IP Logged)

26 April, 2017 13:45
In all seriousnes, it's very difficult to know if signing Freuan is a good idea. I've been a big fan of his since he broke through playing super rugby and in few minutes he has played for us he has made us much more threatening and balanced in attack. He has also missed a lot of rugby during his career and his durability is definitely in question. I remember having a "discussion" with Malco about that when we signed him as I was concerned about how often he'd be available.

We will only really know in hindsight. He could be a Moody for us or a Mile Catt for London Irish.

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

26 April, 2017 13:53
Where is Malco? I miss his contributions.

BathBurger
BathBurger (IP Logged)

26 April, 2017 15:11
Quote:
Bath Hammer

+1

HamishMilner
Big Dog (IP Logged)

26 April, 2017 15:50
Poor Malco probably got bored of being slated for providing interesting insights like a lot of people on here...

How dare you not have the worlds most pessimistic view of the club, the players, the management and the owner!! I HATE THEM ALL! @#$%& IT LET'S ALL MOVE TO EXETER!

But seriously, Fruean is a good player. If the S&C team get him for all of preseason, work on those injury issues and rehab him for the summer he could have a good season next year. I think he looks sharpest in the centre and would be an excellent ram to JJ's foil if deployed at 12 with then the opportunity to move to 13 when JJ unavailable.

He is an X factor player with an unlucky injury history but frankly with most rugby teams this year half the squad or more is out at any one time so maybe next year it'll be his turn to be injury free!

sid the seagull
sid the seagull (IP Logged)

26 April, 2017 16:24
I do not.

SQUAWK

MESSAGES->author
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

26 April, 2017 17:38
Quote:
sid the seagull
I do not.
SQUAWK

You don't think that Robbie Fruean looks sharpest in the centre? Or...hope he stays fit and stays at Bath?

Giz a clue - theres an old chip in it for you.

Bathovalballer
Bathovalballer (IP Logged)

26 April, 2017 17:56
Perhaps Sid is referring to not missing Malco.

Personally I wish Malco was contributing because his input was always insightful and often tinged with a touch of solid fact with him personally knowing various people who were in the know. I did not always agree with Malco's opinions but always enjoyed reading and in some cases, having the chance to debate his writings on this site.

IMO you Malco are sorely missed and should return to COML.

MESSAGES->author

26 April, 2017 18:42
I hadn't realized Malco had left us. Was there a reason given for the flounce?

... IMHO, of course.

Now in Honolulu

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

26 April, 2017 19:35
Quote:
joethefanatic

I know he felt he was given a hard time on the O/T Politics thread from some posters. He also got criticised for making quite definitive statements about incoming players, some of which eventually came to fruition but as often did not. He did get particularly wound up about the Clash which might have been about the time he disappeared. I assumed he had special knowledge because did he not publish a rugby blog at one time or am I thinking of someone else. Nevertheless he did contribute well thought out personal views, unlike some other recent constant posters, & I hope he returns to the board.

MESSAGES->author

26 April, 2017 20:32
Quote:
Bath Hammer
Quote:
joethefanatic

I know he felt he was given a hard time on the O/T Politics thread from some posters. He also got criticised for making quite definitive statements about incoming players, some of which eventually came to fruition but as often did not. He did get particularly wound up about the Clash which might have been about the time he disappeared. I assumed he had special knowledge because did he not publish a rugby blog at one time or am I thinking of someone else. Nevertheless he did contribute well thought out personal views, unlike some other recent constant posters, & I hope he returns to the board.

Yep, I almost never agreed with him on anything which was what made him invaluable.

... IMHO, of course.

Now in Honolulu

Danchinho
Danchinho (IP Logged)

26 April, 2017 21:24
He had some good info and I could never understand why he got shouted down for it.
Sure hope he comes back.

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

27 April, 2017 00:40
Seem to have gone off topic. Should we call this the Malcolm thread?

BathBurger
BathBurger (IP Logged)

28 April, 2017 14:43
Given we haven't heard that he has extended his contract this week, plus he's been placed on the bench spot for Sunday's game, I suspect we will hear he's moving on sometime early next week.

Ah well! Wish him the best if he does leave.

mfzeus
freddyf (IP Logged)

28 April, 2017 15:04
If be surprised to see him on the bench if he's definitely off

gaz59
gaz59 (IP Logged)

30 April, 2017 18:36
Fine try today that has probably upped the salary offer

Danchinho
Danchinho (IP Logged)

30 April, 2017 19:08
God,I hope we hang on to him.

MESSAGES->author
Which Tyler (IP Logged)

30 April, 2017 20:07
He's a really good player, just a bit of an injury magnet - like Manu in that regard.
To someone, he's worth a very decent salary, to us he'd be worth keeping, but probably not on the sort of salary someone like Wuss, Sale or Newcastle might be able to offer him.

I really hope he puts the injury demons behind him and gets a solid few years of rugby under his belt - ideally for Bath.

A man who cannot change his mind, cannot change anything
RAEBURN SHIELD

Beno Obano - 2016-17 adoptee
http://www.rugbyrebels.co/board/download/file.php?id=117

Gussieboy
Gussieboy (IP Logged)

30 April, 2017 21:45
I gather that we haven't managed to hang on to him - not too sure what I think about that, great player, but seems that he dies spend a large amount of the season injured ( take a look at his m injury history).

annie blackthorn
annie blackthorn (IP Logged)

30 April, 2017 23:00
He was ok today but as said above, has been out of action for weeks since he arrived.
Wasn't he one of TBlackadder's contact from NZ If he is off, then there are plenty more fish in the SH sea.

Matt Garvey - one to add to my List of Forward Talented Adoptees since 2003/4!

Danchinho
Danchinho (IP Logged)

01 May, 2017 01:01
Big, extremely quick, very powerful, multi skilled centres of international class but available (fitness permitting) are not 2 a penny. And every club wants one. If you have one already make sure you keep him.

BathPatriot
BathPatriot (IP Logged)

01 May, 2017 01:56
He's off, sad , really good player.

MESSAGES->author
CountryMike (IP Logged)

01 May, 2017 07:57
Those saying that he's off, is that based on specific knowledge, rumours or what Fissler said in last weeks Rugby Paper? Not having a dig, just wondered...

MESSAGES->author
Widcombe Boy (IP Logged)

01 May, 2017 09:11
One of the coaches said Fruean's off yesterday

MESSAGES->author
Which Tyler (IP Logged)

01 May, 2017 09:20
Quote:
Danchinho
Big, extremely quick, very powerful, multi skilled centres of international class but available (fitness permitting) are not 2 a penny. And every club wants one. If you have one already make sure you keep him.
depends on value for money.
Such players command large salaries too, salaries that may not be felt are worth it given injury record, and the fact that despite being all that, he may not even be first choice when fit. For a club with room in the salary cap, and/or lesser quality centres than Bath have he'd be worth a greater salary than he is to Bath.

I'm a fan, and would very much like to keep him, but not a an price; if another club is willing to offer a larger salary, or a longer contract, then he goes with my best wishes and no hard feelings.
IMO if everyone's on form, horses-for-courses evens with BT for 12, behind JJ for 13, marginally behind Banahan for 11, and marginally ahead of Banahan for 23.
For someone like Sale / Wuss* / LIrish he's worth a marquee salary and an automatic first choice spot. For someone like Wasps he offers some go-forward the rest of the backs don't, and so would start most matches, be worth an increased salary with greater chance of silverware.

* Who were willing to offer the similar quality, simikarly flexible, similarly injured Tuilagi £450k!

RAEBURN SHIELD

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/2017 09:27 by Which Tyler.

MESSAGES->author

01 May, 2017 10:56
Quote:
BathBurger
Quote:
Bath Hammer

+1

He's alive and well. Seen starting a thread on Shed Web forum on Stooke. Now need to go and wash my hands

annie blackthorn
annie blackthorn (IP Logged)

01 May, 2017 11:22
Malco reported on several occasions months ago that he had given up his two season tickets mainly because he felt that the very limited views he got from his longheld season ticket in the West stand had deteriorated since the so-called improvements made last autumn. I know how he feels on that one.

Matt Garvey - one to add to my List of Forward Talented Adoptees since 2003/4!

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

01 May, 2017 11:31
Than you A-a-a. As a Bath Rugby supporter it would be nice if he returned to the fold despite the Twickenham upset. If Freuan is off in order to bring our squad up to top European Championship challenging levels we need a centre, scrum half, tight-head (& in my view another powerful scrummaging prop) & possibly another dominant 2nd row as Chatteris seems a injury waiting to happen. Maybe we also need a young aspiring fly-half.

Danchinho
Danchinho (IP Logged)

01 May, 2017 13:52
Banners is starting to look too slow as a top Prem winger. Fruean would cover that position excellently as well as centre. Probs be a starter in one of them. If he moves on and stays fit it will have been a poor decision. Teams need players with the X factor and he has plenty of it.
The idea that TM will just review the NZ league and pick a player of similar quality no problem is farcical.
Do any of you actually watch Super Rugby?
Who should we signing?

ken_jnr
ken_jnr (IP Logged)

01 May, 2017 15:52
Quote:
Danchinho
If he moves on and stays fit it will have been a poor decision. Teams need players with the X factor and he has plenty of it.

I completely agree, but with his record it is a huge IF. we might sign Ben Smith (just made this up, no rumour!) and Freuan might spend 90% of next season broken again and retire. We might sign some bloke from some team somewhere and Freuan goes on to be the star of the 2019 World Cup for Samoa. We signed him in full knowledge of his previous durability and it so far hasn't really come off (which is a shame as he has always been quality). I won't be too angry whatever happens as nobody has a crystal ball.

MESSAGES->author
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

01 May, 2017 15:57
Well he has a Bath contract in front of him ready to sign so we just have to wait and see what he decides...

MESSAGES->author
Which Tyler (IP Logged)

01 May, 2017 16:11
Quote:
Danchinho
If he moves on and stays fit it will have been a poor decision.
Indeed, and if we keep him for £300k a year for 3 years and he o my plays 10 matches in that time, that​ will have been a poor decision too.
Ifs, buts and maybes aren't terribly useful here. There will be a value that we put on his services, and a value that another team puts on his services; if another team is willing to take a greater risk and offer him more money or a longer contract, then so be it. We'll never know whether the decision was right or wrong, and we'll only be able to pass an informed judgement in retrospect - which is useless in the here and now.

RAEBURN SHIELD

MESSAGES->author
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

01 May, 2017 16:50
Matson said that he wasn't previously injured a lot so they think that it was enough of a blip to not be a regular problem. Remember he actually came to us injured, maybe it never quite sorted itself. Hoping that he will sign, have a decent break and go hard for us next season.

ken_jnr
ken_jnr (IP Logged)

01 May, 2017 17:41
That Matson quote isn't quite backed up by the facts though. Since 2014 he's had some fairly extensive time off

wilshd
wilshd (IP Logged)

01 May, 2017 18:18
Any word on Denton? Can't seem to make the squad...

BathBurger
BathBurger (IP Logged)

04 May, 2017 10:38
[m.bathchronicle.co.uk]

Confirms he is leaving for a Pro12 club. Shame, wish him all the best for his World Cup ambition. Honestly can't think he's right for sevens though?

noidea
noidea (IP Logged)

04 May, 2017 10:47
Quote:
BathBurger
http://m.bathchronicle.co.uk/robbie-fruean-contract-talks-break-down-as-bath-rugby-winger-looks-set-for-edinburgh-move/story-30312009-detail/story.html
Confirms he is leaving for a Pro12 club. Shame, wish him all the best for his World Cup ambition. Honestly can't think he's right for sevens though?

Does it actually confirm he is leaving?
I read it as Bath have tabled 2 offers & Robbie is looking at Edinburgh for a better offer - They may not be happy to let him play the sevens series either as he'll miss a large part of the season.

dcsh
dcsh (IP Logged)

04 May, 2017 10:48
He is only going to play sevens so he can switch from being tied to New Zealand to Samoa. Given he need to play 4 sevens tournaments plus something else and would then be aiming by to play during international windows, it wouldn't make him the best alternative for JJ. Good luck to him, I can understand why Bath might not have pulled out all the stops to keeps him.

MESSAGES->author
CountryMike (IP Logged)

04 May, 2017 10:56
If Blackadder has stated that Fruean isn't talking to us about a contract at the moment then it would seem that we haven't offered him enough in terms of contract length and/or value, plus release clauses for the Sevens.

If Edinburgh also don't offer him what he wants I guess he'll either cast the net wider or opt for whichever of the two current offers is close enough. I completely understand both his and Bath's position, and as gutted as I would be if he does see his future elsewhere good luck to him.

Danchinho
Danchinho (IP Logged)

04 May, 2017 11:00
Yes, could be a great player but if he's not going to be available due to his decisions (i.e. not injury) then you'd have to think we are looking at more effective ways of using the money.

dr.bath1865
dr.bath1865 (IP Logged)

04 May, 2017 11:00
If even his old mates TB and Tabs can't convince him to stay then he clearly wants to be elsewhere.

So good luck to him.

Sir Redneck
Sir Redneck (IP Logged)

04 May, 2017 11:08
Despite the question marks surrounding his fitness, I have to say I'm disappointed by this news as I think we've only seen flashes of his potential.

In saying that it's a short career and he has to do what's best for him and his family.

HamishMilner
Big Dog (IP Logged)

04 May, 2017 11:12
I think the 7's is a means to an end for his international ambitions with Samoa as he has to play a certain amount of tournaments with them to play for the senior Samoa union side. I'm sure he will be fine at 7's though tbf - quick, powerful and good offloading ability! Sonny Bill did it with those attributes and Fa'osiliva played Samoa 7's before joining us and he's even larger and less 7's shaped!

I wish him the best. It is a shame we never got to see more of him but I am sure he will be excellent for Edinburgh. The chances of us playing them at all next season are slim and so at least it won't come back to bite us when he runs through our backline for a try or anything!

I hope he goes on to play for Samoa at the World cup 2019 and that he gets to show his full ability that has never quite been able to be on show fully due to injuries. He was touted as a future All Black at one point after all!

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

04 May, 2017 11:12
Edinburgh? What a waste. At least he won't play against us.

BathBurger
BathBurger (IP Logged)

04 May, 2017 11:31
Quote:
Big Dog
I think the 7's is a means to an end for his international ambitions with Samoa as he has to play a certain amount of tournaments with them to play for the senior Samoa union side. I'm sure he will be fine at 7's though tbf - quick, powerful and good offloading ability! Sonny Bill did it with those attributes and Fa'osiliva played Samoa 7's before joining us and he's even larger and less 7's shaped!

Sorry I did understand that it was a means to an end, just didn't phrase my post very well! Didn't know Fa'osiliva played sevens, certainly an odd shape for it. If that's the case I can't see why Fruean couldn't make a go of it especially if it only needs to be four games.

Ladyboy
Ladyboy (IP Logged)

04 May, 2017 11:31
I'd be disappointed to see him leave but not sure his 7s goals would make him desirable to any club. SBW (as an example) had to leave 15s altogether to get in shape for 7s. I can't help but think that trying to maintain a foot in each code is going to compromise him beyond just his availability for the 4 tournaments he needs to play in.

mfzeus
freddyf (IP Logged)

04 May, 2017 11:39
So presumably we'll be looking to sign a centre/wing to replace him - are we linked with anyone?

by
by (IP Logged)

04 May, 2017 11:54
Massively disappointing, kind of player we need.

MESSAGES->author
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

04 May, 2017 12:01
Quote:
BathBurger
Didn't know Fa'osiliva played sevens, certainly an odd shape for it.

He was nominated for the 2010 IRB International Sevens Player of the Year.

MESSAGES->author
hemington (IP Logged)

04 May, 2017 12:10
so we've paid him for most of the year whilst he has been injured. he gets match fit at last and then swans off to 'further his career'. Loyalty isn't what it used to be. Good as he is (and he is) I can't help feeling a bit miffed by this turn of events and do not wish him as much well as some of you.

benjbath
benjbath (IP Logged)

04 May, 2017 12:31
How do you know this wasn't discussed prior to our signing him with the hope he'd change his mind. Player support isn't what it used to be... We slag people off with no knowledge of the context because all we care about is our own interest. Good luck to him if he leaves, I personally would love him to stay...

MESSAGES->author
Clarkey3k (IP Logged)

04 May, 2017 12:51
Quote:
hemington
so we've paid him for most of the year whilst he has been injured. he gets match fit at last and then swans off to 'further his career'. Loyalty isn't what it used to be. Good as he is (and he is) I can't help feeling a bit miffed by this turn of events and do not wish him as much well as some of you.

+1 on the miffed front...

Adopted players: 2017 D Denton; [16] H. Agulla; [15] L Houston; [14] W Spencer; [13] F. Louw

Change a life with a loan [www.deki.org.uk]

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

04 May, 2017 13:35
Quote:
Clarkey3k
Quote:
hemington

+ 2 Highly miffed

Kidney Stone
Kidney Stone (IP Logged)

04 May, 2017 13:58
Quote:
Bath Hammer
Quote:
Clarkey3k
Quote:
hemington

+ 2 Highly miffed

Agreed. This truly boils my pi$$

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net

Bath Poll

Where do you think we'll finish this season?

See results > Submit >>