rugbyunion
Latest News:

The COML Message Board

The place for discussion, debate and nonsense about Bath Rugby.

Join our new Facebook Group today!

New visitors please read the house rules before posting

Test your prognostications at our Prediction League

Bath Supporter Jack

Priestland v Ford
24 April, 2017 13:25
Given we only have two matches left in the season........with a very unlikely chance of another game, surely it makes sense to say to George you will not be playing from the start and we bring him on in the last 20 minutes against both Gloucester and Sale.

Many people will be surprised by my stance that we should start with Priestland!(Sm124)

Bathovalballer
Bathovalballer (IP Logged)

Re: Priestland v Ford
24 April, 2017 13:36
Not at all BSJ, very sensible in my view. The sooner the remaining players get used to playing without relying on GF's 'inspirational play' shall we say, the better for our long term future. Let the rest of the squad have its head and show what it can do. George is history as far as Bath Rugby is concerned, lets all look to the future and build up to it.

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

24 April, 2017 13:50
My perception is that Todd hasn't wanted to give George any excuse to allow his disaffection with Bath Rugby to increase, particularly as it could then spread to his mates JJ and Anthony.

From a pure rugby point of view, I don't think Priestland has played enough to say that he would be a better option than George for these last 2 games. The opportunity was there to give him an extended run after the 6N, but putting the Ford Project on the bench appears to be verboten.

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

24 April, 2017 14:11
There were rumours when we signed Ford from Tigers that he had a clause guaranteeing him starts. Seems unlikely, but you never know...

Bathovalballer

24 April, 2017 14:13
Who is running the team? A couple of all star players or the coaches? These so called 'stars' have not performed and certainly Watson's butchering that try opportunity was down right disgraceful for a man of his pay grade, talent and ability.

No if George's mates don't like playing without him, well they must be reminded who their employer is and who is running the show. Pampering to such whims wins us nothing and demonstrates to the remaining team mates that they have the sway and power over their bosses and it does not matter how badly they perform as they will get picked come what may. It is nonsense and certainly no incentive or a proper example to any aspiring youngster who might be working their socks off, in better form, but knowing a 'star' will always be picked to start over them.

Get a grip Todd and your cohorts and show some steel here and show ALL the squad who is in charge.

Kidney Stone
Kidney Stone (IP Logged)

24 April, 2017 14:21
Quote:
Bathovalballer
Not at all BSJ, very sensible in my view. The sooner the remaining players get used to playing without relying on GF's 'inspirational play' shall we say, the better for our long term future. Let the rest of the squad have its head and show what it can do. George is history as far as Bath Rugby is concerned, lets all look to the future and build up to it.

I agree with much of what you say here BoB.

I am actually surprised that once GF's departure was confirmed, that TB hasn't switched him to back up behind RP.Ford's head has been elsewhere for ages, that has affected his judgement and concentration IMO.

Also agree that this co-captain/club captain poppycock needs to be canned and one captain needs to be nominated. Attwood, Flo, Banners?

BennyBoyo
BennyBoyo (IP Logged)

24 April, 2017 14:30
I'm not sure where to start with this one.....

First of all, I definitely think RP should have come on for the last 20 against SF. Given his accuracy in this tournament alone and Ford’s poor kicking througoht this (and other) game(s).

Secondly, I honestly don’t see what others do in Fords game play, This and last season, he has been average off the T at best, he looked good for England because Farrell made him shine, it was just so disappointing watching him play for Bath in pretty much every one of his games for us. The only thing he does is draw in deffenders - Which RP has now started to do.

He has made his decision – Bath are not obliged to play him and should have been phasing him out as soon as the Tiggers deal was done.

Given the sums involved in the deal and the current performance for Freddie Burns, I for one definitely think we are doing better out of the whole panto that was “Ford’s great escape”.

Back to RP – He has obviously been listening to coaching as he has noticeably changed the way he plays, mixing it up with staying back less often and now occasionally breaking through the defence when they expect him to pass it on….I wasn’t fond of him when he retired from international duty only to retract that after signing for Bath making him unavailable for more games last season but he is a good player and however much Ford says he’s committed must be questioned when he has ultimately decided to leave.

I know he has his loyal supporters but its time to move on now folks….give the new(ish) blood a shot.

P G Tips
P G Tips (IP Logged)

24 April, 2017 14:39
To be honest, Priestland has not really shone. He had a good game against Brive, but was not very convincing against Quins and dire against Bristol.

I suspect that TB wants to play his best players while there is still something to play for.

Preparation for next season is secondary until we secure 4th (unlikely), 5th or 6th.

PG

cb2
cb2 (IP Logged)

24 April, 2017 15:08
Devoto really started to get some gametime last season after it was announced that he was leaving. It seems the way with Bath.

On the matter of Priestland - you cannot have a top paid player starting on the bench and often not even coming on. You need your reserve ten, especially if he is of mature years and on big bucks, to be able to start at 12 or 15. We would have been better served by Devoto at 12 this season and using the money for Priestland to get a top class front row player. You have to be clever with how you use the cap money and we seem to get it wrong more often than not.

TG Kesmo
TG Kesmo (IP Logged)

24 April, 2017 15:19
If we win against Glos and secure the big cup for next season, then maybe start with Priestland but to be honest he hasn't looked that good and what our non cohesive team really don't need is another change in makeup. If we need to win the last game then I can't see it happening. GF isn't England starting 10 for nothing.

gaz59
gaz59 (IP Logged)

24 April, 2017 15:26
I don't think there is anything to suggest JJ and Ant Watson have any disaffection with current Bath set up Opti, unless I've missed something. Though I agree it is still sensible to ensure a respectful departure for George as far as possible and Todd has certainly said and done all the right things publicly on that one

The primary reason I think is simply to do best for George so that England's first choice fly half will have no reason to do anything but play his best to the full of his ability to the last whistle of his final game in the BBW

Rhys knows that after that the starting 10 shirt is up for grabs

As I see it George really does owe Todd and his team for the credit and respect he has been given with at least one performance that guarantees Champions Cup rugby next year

P G Tips
P G Tips (IP Logged)

24 April, 2017 15:37
I agree gaz.

Then -in pre season and early season RP can fight it out with Freddie for the starting berth -or they can be rotated as Leicester have done with Freddie and O Williams.

PG

quanco
quanco (IP Logged)

24 April, 2017 15:54
Quote:
gaz59
As I see it George really does owe Todd and his team for the credit and respect he has been given with at least one performance that guarantees Champions Cup rugby next year

I agree. TB has put a lot of faith in him. Whether this faith has been misplaced or not, George owes him a thank you IMV. Give him a final run out at the Rec and Priestland the final 15.

I for one will applaud George for his style of play if nothing else. Although he's not always given us the results we would have wanted, he's certainly made a lot of games worth watching; sometimes single handedly. Cast your mind back to the dark times when we were forced to play Devoto (out of position) at fly-half and the difference between them was extraordinary.

Also, I wouldn't want George's last experience in a Bath shirt to be what happened at the end of the Stade game. He's been under a lot of criticism for his kicking under pressure and, although he is a professional, that doesn't mean he isn't human. It's not as though any of the kicks were dead certs, what's to say Priestland wouldn't have missed too?

[www.youtube.com]

Having said that, I assumed Rhys would have started this match - as he has for the majority of our European campaign - and I do feel that the sooner he is incorporated into the starting XV, the better whilst I find it highly unlikely AW & JJ have enough of a voice to dictate such selection.

Adam Hastings/Bath Rugby - Adopted Player 2016/17

HugoBoss
HugoBoss (IP Logged)

24 April, 2017 16:04
I said he should have been benched from the moment the announcement of his departure was made. Continuity is key and GF, however professional he may be, simply hasn't looked himself or hit the heights we know he can. Meanwhile one of our two 10s for next year has been sat on the bench, not even brought on when he could be better developing understandings and moves with team mates who will be here next season.

Its been too big a gamble to ultimately hope GF plays a blinder in every game to the end of the season by picking him, and it certainly hasn't paid off. Its got to the point where England were a few seasons ago where names were picked instead of form. And granted RP hasn't got much form to speak of but when has he had the chance to develop it? It takes our backs almost 25/30 mins into a game at present to actually get started-lets try something new a fresh instead of the same stale starts we have been seeing and which added to costing us wins.

RP needs to be starting, GF to come on in later stages when opposition are hopefully tiring and begin running rings around them (ideally).

Kidney Stone
Kidney Stone (IP Logged)

24 April, 2017 17:17
Quote:
HugoBoss
I said he should have been benched from the moment the announcement of his departure was made. Continuity is key and GF, however professional he may be, simply hasn't looked himself or hit the heights we know he can. Meanwhile one of our two 10s for next year has been sat on the bench, not even brought on when he could be better developing understandings and moves with team mates who will be here next season.

RP needs to be starting, GF to come on in later stages when opposition are hopefully tiring and begin running rings around them (ideally).

Spot on Hugo.

The statements that RP has not shone, may be factually correct, but he has had hardly any game time with injuries and the Ford factor.

This is not about sending Ford away with a flea in his ear, it is about building for the future - now!

pluko
pluko (IP Logged)

24 April, 2017 18:55
Well how will we remember GF's stay at the club? A good player if his pack on top of the opposition. A kicker who is not world class. A lightweight tackler who goes too high.

With the possession and territory statistics from Sunday, Bath should have been won given how GF likes to play behind a dominant pack. Unfortunately, his kicking and decision making let the team down. Of course others made mistakes but GF is the incumbent 10 safe in the knowledge he will not be replaced, so he should deliver.

Finally, agree with Gatland's decision not to take him on the Lions tour.

Substitute
Substitute (IP Logged)

24 April, 2017 19:29
I shall remember Ford firstly as a cautionary tale and then, secondly, for the wonderful rugby we did get out of him.

There were games where his ability was surreal, some of the kicking from hand exceptional. It's a crying shame that TB, nor his father, have really been able to extract it from him for 2 years...

stuart turner
Loiner (IP Logged)

24 April, 2017 19:35
Just drop GF and move on plsase

MESSAGES->author
TCM2007 (IP Logged)

24 April, 2017 20:30
We should play our best available team. I think that's Ford.

Preistand is going to be second choice next season, so this is good experience for him. 😜

Stuart

Former ed.

MESSAGES->author
joethefanatic (IP Logged)

24 April, 2017 20:47
George will be playing 10 for one of our great rivals next season. Do you think Sarries would miss the opportunity to put a psychological dent in a rivals' key player? Didn't think so. Nor should we. Drop George from the XV and start Rhys.

... IMHO, of course.

Now in Honolulu

dr.bath1865
dr.bath1865 (IP Logged)

24 April, 2017 20:59
We still need to beat Glos to be sure of Europe. So we need to play the best team to win. And that, for me, means Ford at 10.

His delay and give for Stooke's try was magic. Rhys can't do that. Burns can't do that, quite. So Ford starts...and so does Stooke!

Oh go on then...
Watson, Roko, JJ, Taps, Fruean, Ford, Kahn, Catt, Batty, Knight, Charteris, Stooke, Garvey, Louw, Faletau.

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

24 April, 2017 21:04
I'll remember George for being the catalyst for the sensational rugby we played in 2014/15 and for the fact that, on the back of that, we travelled to Twickenham for a proper final with genuine hope and enthusiasm. George used to take tap penalties, run from anywhere and everywhere, find ghost runners that the opposition defence had no idea were in the vicinity. Then I'll remember that he's subsequently been dragged into the dreaded game-management vortex where Barry John's heirs go to curl up and die. I kind of wish he'd gone to Wasps and Cips had taken a Boudjellal pension because maybe he'd have rediscovered that spark. I fear for him at Leicester and I'm not sure he won't soon be eclipsed at England level by the the more robust and scarily talented Lozowski.

Beergoggles
Beergoggles (IP Logged)

24 April, 2017 21:12
Quote:
Dr Bath1865
We still need to beat Glos to be sure of Europe. So we need to play the best team to win. And that, for me, means Ford at 10.

+1. Unfortunately GF despite his failings is still streets ahead of RP.

B4thB4ck
B4thB4ck (IP Logged)

24 April, 2017 22:12
Quote:
dr.bath1865
His delay and give for Stooke's try was magic. Rhys can't do that. Burns can't do that, quite. So Ford starts...and so does Stooke!

Oh go on then...
Watson, Roko, JJ, Taps, Fruean, Ford, Kahn, Catt, Batty, Knight, Charteris, Stooke, Garvey, Louw, Faletau.

I can understand how painful that defeat was in Paris and the natural response is to blame someone but it wasn't all Fords fault and I agree he should start.

I suppose part of it is how you enjoy your rugby and Fords timing of the pass is as good as you will find anywhere, he also takes the late hits that come with that territory. I kind of forgive him, maybe by mid week after a match, that he sometimes reminds us of the barn doors and banjos comparison when kicking. Like an off form golfer, he needs a new guru to make him consistent.

Re the team above, I would still start Banners with Fruean to make an impact off the bench.

Garvey, Louw, Faletau.... If only we had seen that more often this season.

MESSAGES->author
woodpecker (IP Logged)

25 April, 2017 09:24
Back in the day when MF was in charge there were endless accusations of nepotism over selection and how little game time RP got.

Todd as far as I know is not even a distant cousin of George and hasn't behaved any differently, even after George was on his way to tigers.

I've sort of lost interest in George and wouldn't mind him being dropped based on him leaving and his variable performances. However, if the coaches who work with these guys day in day out think he's still the better option I will go with their choice.

Puxonian
Puxonian (IP Logged)

25 April, 2017 10:09
If it was my decision I'd pick Homer at FB and Ford at 10 on the understanding that TH handles all goal kicking responsibilities.

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn194/brightie2/40d36926-c4d6-40bc-8e4d-468664a8e428_zpsm0qygtki.jpg

Back soon

Adoptee 2016/17

P G Tips
P G Tips (IP Logged)

25 April, 2017 10:56
Does anybody remember Mike Catt? Or Stuart Barnes?

Both of those guys had their off days with the boot -and with the occasional poor onfield judgement.

They also gave us great moments (both individual and team) of flair and glorious attacking rugby to enjoy. Both won late Cup Final victories over Leicester with those qualities. They are (rightly) remembered by most as Bath legends. Their flaws, through BBW tinted specs are largely forgotten.

GF is a player of similar style and temperament, who does make regrettable mistakes - because he is not a "play by numbers" fly half.

We have had one or two of the latter, and they are mostly not fondly remembered.

PG

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

25 April, 2017 11:22
Quote:
Stuart Anderton
Preistand is going to be second choice next season, so this is good experience for him. 😜

Really? Don't think FB is that good to guarantee RP is second choice.

Chris Cook - Adopted player 2016/17

Tiger in the Bath
Tiger in the Bath (IP Logged)

25 April, 2017 11:32
I think George has been really professional in his commitment to the team on the field. Many other players would not have been able to do that emotionally and mentally. Freddy at Gloucester before he left for example.

But he does know that he is leaving and he has been and is unhappy with things that happened and senior people at the club. That has to take an edge off his performance, no matter how professional he is, and that's bound to show in his relatively weak areas.

Freddy has been brilliant at Tigers, especially once he settled and was happy. If George settles and is happy at Tigers, I expect to see the full George for Tigers and England.

I hope to see the same from Freddy at Bath at his home club. And if we do, Rhys won't get a look in.

cb2
cb2 (IP Logged)

25 April, 2017 12:44
Catt let his goal kicking get to him. That is why he got better when he stopped kicking. Why is it that kicking coaches seem to make great kickers even better but good kickers seem to stay the same or get a bit worse? I suppose Patterson and Monty got better with age but few manage to change their spots. The mental side plays a big part.

Bath Supporter Jack

25 April, 2017 12:51
If you look at the recent record won 2 from 7 (?) you would normally expect some changes wouldn't you?

Kicking could be the decider on Sunday........

robhumperson
Humpo (IP Logged)

25 April, 2017 13:30
I'd actually drop Watson to the bench, give Homer the 15 shirt and the kicking tee, with Banahan and Roko on the wings and Freuan at 12. AW made 2 crucial, really poor errors and Homer has been brilliant all season.

P G Tips
P G Tips (IP Logged)

25 April, 2017 14:24
Great plan Humpo - but Roko will be at Twickenham for the Army v Navy game.

PG

robhumperson
Humpo (IP Logged)

25 April, 2017 15:37
Our game is Sunday, so surely he can play both? Seems a bit lazy if you ask me.

B4thB4ck
B4thB4ck (IP Logged)

25 April, 2017 15:58
Exeter would play twice in 2 days.

by
by (IP Logged)

25 April, 2017 17:20
I'd like to see Brew, Watson and Homer in the back 3.

RP, Fruean and JJ in the midfield.

Taps on the bench with Ford, however I really feel that Philips should get a chance off the bench after his performance for United the other week, looked very hungry for work and his turn of pace is incredible.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 25/04/2017 17:21 by by.

annie blackthorn
annie blackthorn (IP Logged)

25 April, 2017 17:52
Let's hope they are all in feisty fighting fit form and raise their game coz its the last one of the season and coz fgs its Glaws.

On a personal note it also may be the last game I watch live as a season ticket holder at Bath after 15 seasons. Just fed up with being treated as 'necessary evil' (we do mess up the place so(Sm161)) income stream amongst other income streams to a Plc. May main gripe is being involuntarily moved (like thousands of others)to a new row, separated from longterm mates, where I cannot see the corners, nor the touchline, nor the bench and am surrounded by more seats which are sold to 'corporates' or 'guests'. We also get wet when it rains, which we used not to. I know there are many in the West Stand who now have even worse sightlines/ views than I do. I also resent being telephoned a few weeks ago by a very polite nice young man and told I am to be credited with £29 for the seat I did not use at Twickenham where I did not wish to go, but that if I don't renew ST, I won't any get a refund. Great! (n.b. if I wish to buy an extra seat next to me for a one off match, its costs £50).

Matt Garvey - one to add to my List of Forward Talented Adoptees since 2003/4!

MESSAGES->author
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

25 April, 2017 18:39
Annie, I thought that you could just ask for a better seat when it comes to renewal? Even better, you could save yourself a few hundred quid, buy a coat and come and stand on the terraces (where the fun is) - the views are spectacular*!

As an aside, I do find it funny that on the one hand we are wanting the best players and coaches in the world and on the other we gripe when ST prices go up and gripe when the club brings in other income streams. I'm no accountant but short of the Bruce millions I'm not sure how else they are supposed to balance the books?

Hang in there Annie - you will kick yourself next season when we win the lot!

*If you are short, just get there a bit earlier.

Bathovalballer

25 April, 2017 20:33
With our recent so called form- losing 5 out of the last 7 games was it?- we should and expect to see changes.

I didn't realise it was the Army/Navy game this weekend, as it means our best scoring player will not be available just when he is desperately needed.

Dropping so called 'stars' for making crass errors is right and would show the squad that Todd and his cohorts will not tolerate shoddy play without consequences, from anyone, and starting positions should be earned and maintained on merit.

So I agree, Tom Homer who has done nothing wrong and much right this season (includiing being our most accurate kicker IIRR) should start at 15 and be the main goal kicker. Priestland to back him up, and with Watson on the bench and the pacy Phillips starting as well. Banners on one wing and JJ and Fruean in the centre, Taps on the bench.

Knight must start at THP, and hopefully Atters is fully fit. Much prefer Ewells over Charteris( who should be dropped) and hope the back row is Garvey, Louw and Faletau. Ellis and Stooke on the bench.

However, I don't think for one moment the side will look anything like that.

Anyone who saw Glaws play last weekend would appreciate the hunger, character, skills of their team and a definite sense of wanting it. Their back play with Atkinson, Trinder and Marshall being brilliant along with young Burns will make our life very difficult.

Lastly very sad to read that you Annie are probably going to give up your season ticket after all these years, and would suggest you decide after the planning decision to move the pitch is concluded, as it should vastly improve your sight lines. Hope so anyway.

MESSAGES->author
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

25 April, 2017 20:46
BOB, you are a like a stuck record with this 'wanting it' garbage...and 'character'?

Whilst we are at it you would honestly play a championship winger over a lions one off the back of 5 poor minutes? Yes Philips looked pacy, but other than seeing him against a poor Quins B team on a Monday night you think he should start against Glos? I'm not sure where to start with that one tbh. Marfo and the other new young prop played well in that game too btw, maybe just start the B team?

Bathovalballer

25 April, 2017 20:59
When would you drop anyone then Matt?

Boldngrey
Boldngrey (IP Logged)

25 April, 2017 21:03
When he can be sure he's watching Mercer not Faletau.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 25/04/2017 21:04 by Boldngrey.

MESSAGES->author
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

25 April, 2017 21:10
If there is someone who is better BOB. Or if someone is injured / not match fit or needs a rest. There are a few reasons why someone could be rotated, even tactically.

But one of our best players, just selected for the lions misses a tackle and then an opportunity to score and he's out on his ear for a premiership rookie against one of our biggest rivals? That's just daft IMO.

B4thB4ck
B4thB4ck (IP Logged)

25 April, 2017 21:26
Look at it this way, who would Glos rather face?

The biggest lesson from Sunday was how to close a game down in the last 5 mins when in a winning position.

annie blackthorn
annie blackthorn (IP Logged)

25 April, 2017 23:14
p.s. Thanks for the invite, but I am too old to stand in the rain and cold, or conversely get sunburnt at the end of the season!

Matt Garvey - one to add to my List of Forward Talented Adoptees since 2003/4!

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

25 April, 2017 23:24
Quote:
Bathovalballer
When would you drop anyone then Matt?

You said elsewhere you wanted a build a team, you do that by managing people, anyone can drop a player who has a poor game, no skill in that. But lets take Watson as an example, you called for his exclusion. What is the alternative for a man manager?

A decent coach will look at what happened, find out why it happened and find ways of preventing a repetition. That is match experience, thats what Todd means when he says "we will learn from this".

Patience with a player like AW will work wonders, but if he still doesn't learn then look elsewhere, but there aren't many alternatives to AW.

Just because a player is quick, strong or elusive doesn't make an 'autopick', the skill is to generate, confidence, awareness, experience and team spirit alongside the ability.

That might well mean picking players who have a bad a bad game as part of a long term plan. Coaching is a skill not all coaches have all the components. Mike Ford has many of the but not all, it is unfair to lambast him, both he and George gave the club a great deal but now its time for someone else.

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

26 April, 2017 08:44
Upon reflection, I would include Ford & Watson among the "finishers" for this match as we can't afford to fail to win this game. They both made crucial errors against Stade & shouldn't be selected no matter what. I would have Homer at full-back & give him the kicking duties because he is a bit more reliable than Priestland. Banahan & Freuan would be my wingers. Ford & Watson could be introduced once we have a stable base & Gloucester are tiring. It's a squad game & no-one should be automatically selected. For me this is something of a test for Todd & Matson.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 26/04/2017 08:47 by Bath Hammer.

MESSAGES->author
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

26 April, 2017 09:16
Didn't ford and Watson get us to a winning position and then blow it at the end? If that's your view maybe they should be subbed with 15 to go? Good job they weren't against Tigers at Twickers though.

hipster1676
hipster1676 (IP Logged)

26 April, 2017 09:27
Ford at 10 Watson to replace banners(too slow in defence) and homer at 15. The latter has been superb for us this year and is a far better FB than Watson

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

26 April, 2017 10:25
Quote:
hipster1676
Ford at 10 Watson to replace banners(too slow in defence) and homer at 15. The latter has been superb for us this year and is a far better FB than Watson

But Watson's missed tackle on the wing cost us the game on Sunday

cb2
cb2 (IP Logged)

26 April, 2017 10:56
Who would want to come to our club where a missed tackle has the fans calling for the head of a potential British Lions starter?

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

26 April, 2017 11:02
Quote:
cb2
Who would want to come to our club where a missed tackle has the fans calling for the head of a potential British Lions starter?

Or a club that hasn't had coaching stability in recent years.

Chris Cook - Adopted player 2016/17

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

26 April, 2017 11:25
"calling for the head" is a bit of an extreme way of characterising suggestions that a player might be moved to the bench.

Watson's a fantastic player, but he's had a difficult season injury-wise, probably isn't in the form of his life, and is one player in a squad of 40.

No player has a divine right to a starting place, and there are plenty of examples where dropping a gun-player ends up paying dividends.

MESSAGES->author
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

26 April, 2017 11:38
Eddie Jones and Warren Gatland think that he is in decent form and they know a think or two about rugby?

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

26 April, 2017 11:50
Eddie Jones and Warren Gatland think class is permanent, form is temporary. I'm not calling for him to be dropped btw. But I don't think that suggesting Homer starts and Watson benches constitutes 'calling for his head' or is an unreasonable strategy for winning on Sunday.

MESSAGES->author
Which Tyler (IP Logged)

26 April, 2017 12:34
Meh - for me, form last a little more than 5 minutes, and no player deserves to be dropped on the basis of 5 minutes - especially when that 5 minutes is likely to rankle with that player far more than it is for us; and he WILL want to make amends.

The time to drop a player for poor form is when he has a run of matches (3 or so) of playing poorly, and hasn't been able to find the answer to his poor run. Players would get a little more or a little less lee-way depending on their own stature, and the stature of the player who'd replace them.
A B&I Lion has more in the bank than a rookie who's played all of 1 match for united; and that replacement would need a lot more than 3 matches of poor form to be the right call. Compare him to Homer say, and it's a much closer call.
Equally, dropping Ford in favour of Jennings/Hastings would be pretty stupid; but dropping him for Priestland far less so.

Bring Homer in for Roko is absolutely fair, then who gets to play FB and who wing is a call for the coaches. Dropping Watson for Phillips is idiocy of the highest order.

A man who cannot change his mind, cannot change anything
RAEBURN SHIELD

Beno Obano - 2016-17 adoptee
http://www.rugbyrebels.co/board/download/file.php?id=117

MESSAGES->author
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

26 April, 2017 12:35
I would have Watson on the wing and Homer at FB personally - I think that Watson is a better winger than FB and I would like to see TH kicking the goals.

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

27 April, 2017 10:50
"Dropping Watson for Phillips is idiocy of the highest order"

Yep.

HamishMilner
Big Dog (IP Logged)

27 April, 2017 11:31
I can understand moving Ford aside as we look to next season still but there is no question you'd have him on the bench as a change if Priestland isn't going well. We need to win these games still after all!

I agree with moving Watson to wing rather than dropping him though. He missed one tackle, for which he was being edged out of the way by Pyle and so unable to get across as early as he would have liked. He also blew a 2 on 1 but having looked back at it the defender does well to fake step in on Watson before drifting immediately to Roko. If he doesn't throw that pass and gets tackled he would get lambasted too so was a difficult one in the heat of battle and mistakes happen all the time.

Dropping players after a slightly off day though is mental, especially when they are our top players. Watson is only 23 remember - he is far from the finished article despite his obvious talent and international and now Lions credentials!

Bath Supporter Jack

27 April, 2017 12:00
I started the thread only about Priestland for Ford.

I would play Tom Momer at fullback with Watson on the wing.........but isn't Tom injured?

by
by (IP Logged)

27 April, 2017 14:31
I just think the balance is off when playing Roko, Banners and Watson together in the back 3, they may be our best attacking options but all of them lack a good grasp of defensive positioning and tactical kicking.

TG Kesmo
TG Kesmo (IP Logged)

27 April, 2017 14:37
Quote:
by
I just think the balance is off when playing Roko, Banners and Watson together in the back 3, they may be our best attacking options but all of them lack a good grasp of defensive positioning and tactical kicking.
Disagree re Banners and defensive positioning, he is a very good defensive organiser, he may not Have the raw speed of others but is definitely worth his place in any Bath team.

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

27 April, 2017 17:37
I don't think we should get hung up about not selecting players for a particular match whoever they are. It is ridiculous to assume that because a particular player, just because he is an international or British Lion, is selected no matter what. We have a squad full of international class players, some currently playing better than others. Form goes up and down as does the appropriateness of certain players in certain positions in certain matches. The only consideration is which 15/23 players are best placed to win a particular game & local derbies require certain attritional qualities, some of which were missing, hopefully temporarily, against Stade not to mention Worcester.

BennyBoyo
BennyBoyo (IP Logged)

28 April, 2017 09:33
Bruce is a businessman and he and Todd managed a fantastic deal with Ford, if Ford starts against Glaws I would say its a safe bet that his number of starts was written into his contract (as are the rumours). Todd's mantra has always been about the future i.e. next season (anything this season is a bonus) and Ford is no longer Bath's future.

I know RP has had his off-days but this season Ford has had more off-days. I just wish RP had more time to establish himself before FB arrives next season.

It always amazes me how players can switch allegiance when they go to another team, it's unheard of fans doing that! It's a shame one of the biggest factors influencing that is money nowadays, dare I say its getting more and more like football every season.
Banners is an amazing example of a loyal club-man. he sets an incredible example to the younger generation, it's such a shame this Ford saga has grabbed the headlines for so long and Banners (I know there are others who also deserve more limelight, but Banners is...well, banners) doesn't get more coverage. Sorry, not sure how I got here.

Hopefully, Ford will start this weekend and have a great game, then Rhys will come on for the final 20 and put the nail in the coffin, but I just don't think Ford is in a good place at the moment and his performances are showing that. Consistent sloppy kicking at this level and pay-grade just wont be acceptable by either (remember kicking earns a lot of points in a game!) regardless of speed of distribution and accuracy of passes etc etc....

Let's see who starts when the team is up.

Peace

HamishMilner
Big Dog (IP Logged)

28 April, 2017 10:59
I do think Ford's confidence may have been knocked when not selected for the Lions. That missed penalty at the end against Stade he looked obviously nervous when taking a kick which I hadn't really noticed before - even if we had been nervous when he previously takes them...

Perhaps there was a glimmer of self doubt as to his ability for the big moment?

MESSAGES->author
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

28 April, 2017 11:24
Let Homer kick and Ford concentrate on his running and distribution IMO.

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

28 April, 2017 12:03
Sometimes building for the future is best done by playing the future alongside your current talent, even if it's not the future.

MESSAGES->author
jayeatman (IP Logged)

28 April, 2017 12:06
Quote:
Big Dog
Perhaps there was a glimmer of self doubt as to his ability for the big moment?

There all too often is.

BATH supporter since 1975

Adopted players:
2015/6 Tom Homer
2016/7 Matt Banahan

BennyBoyo
BennyBoyo (IP Logged)

28 April, 2017 12:10
Well.....RP starting and Ford on the bench for the Glaws game (typo corrected for the sticklers out there).....Did not see that coming. Makes me happy though!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2017 08:06 by BennyBoyo.

The Oilman
The Oilman (IP Logged)

28 April, 2017 15:02
Quote:
BennyBoyo
Well.....RP starting and Ford on the bench for Glaws.....Did not see that coming. Makes me happy though!
Ford playing for Glaws? Surely not (Sm60)

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

28 April, 2017 15:37
Quote:
The Oilman
Quote:
BennyBoyo
Well.....RP starting and Ford on the bench for Glaws.....Did not see that coming. Makes me happy though!

Yep - apparently we're swapping him with Burns!

The Oilman
The Oilman (IP Logged)

28 April, 2017 17:40
Quote:
Optimist
Quote:
The Oilman
Quote:
BennyBoyo

(Sm132)

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

28 April, 2017 19:45
Quote:
The Oilman
Quote:
Optimist
Quote:
The Oilman
Quote:
BennyBoyo

(Sm132)
That's the wrong Burns Opti! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Boldngrey
Boldngrey (IP Logged)

28 April, 2017 20:42
They all look the same to me.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net

Bath Poll

Where do you think we'll finish this season?

See results > Submit >>