rugbyunion
Latest News:

The COML Message Board

The place for discussion, debate and nonsense about Bath Rugby.

Join our new Facebook Group today!

New visitors please read the house rules before posting

Test your prognostications at our Prediction League

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Gussieboy
Gussieboy (IP Logged)

JJ
26 April, 2017 13:48
Hearing that an England back is about to be announced as signing for Worcester (picked up from a tweet by a current Prem player), and there is a nasty little rumour on Shedweb of Teo going to Leicester and JJ going to Worcester. The chap who posted, has an annoying habit of being fairly accurate about such things - sincerely hope there is no truth in it, anybody heard anything similar?

quanco
quanco (IP Logged)

Re: JJ
26 April, 2017 13:54
JJ, along with AW signed a new deal in August to keep him at the club until 2019. Whatever this man's history of accuracy is, I'm not worried.

To buy an England, starting international and Lion out of of their contract with 2 years remaining would expensive and unrealistic, not forgetting his close relationship with club mates Watson, Obano, etc.

Adam Hastings/Bath Rugby - Adopted Player 2016/17

TG Kesmo
TG Kesmo (IP Logged)

26 April, 2017 13:58
Plus if the figures in a recent thread are to be believed wuss have zero cash and an unsustainable business model.

Rolfs_Cartoon_Club
@Hydor18 (IP Logged)

26 April, 2017 14:09
JJ is not going to Worcester, I assure you. Mike Brown might, though.

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

26 April, 2017 14:13
So if Te'o is going to Tigers, where's Manu off to?

MESSAGES->author
Tall Paul (IP Logged)

26 April, 2017 14:14
I'd rather have Chris Pennell than Mike Brown, that's for sure!

Michael van Vuuren- adopted player 2016-17

MESSAGES->author
woodpecker (IP Logged)

26 April, 2017 14:27
Quote:
Optimist

Surgery

MESSAGES->author
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

26 April, 2017 14:30
JJ was seen at Worcester a couple of weeks ago (15th April) so could be true...he should never play for Bath again with disloyalty like that. Shameful.

MESSAGES->author
BathSalmon (IP Logged)

26 April, 2017 14:34
Signing JJ has to be a lot more tricky than signing any other player, because you actually have two contracts to sort out - cos JJ doesn't go anywhere without his best bud Watson!!

MESSAGES->author
woodpecker (IP Logged)

26 April, 2017 14:37
Quote:
BathSalmon
Signing JJ has to be a lot more tricky than signing any other player, because you actually have two contracts to sort out - cos JJ doesn't go anywhere without his best bud Watson!!

Could this be the reason for Watson's disgraceful behaviour last week?

by
by (IP Logged)

26 April, 2017 14:41
Perhaps its Daly?

MESSAGES->author
BathSalmon (IP Logged)

26 April, 2017 14:41
Is it definitely a back?

MESSAGES->author
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

26 April, 2017 14:50
Care to Worcs, Hougaard to us.

by
by (IP Logged)

26 April, 2017 14:55
Wonder if Malco heard anything

Old Bath Tub
Old Bath Tub (IP Logged)

26 April, 2017 15:00
Gary Gold announced as permanent director of rugby at Worcester, could it be Roko as GG reportedly influenced his move to Bath ?

Hope not!

MESSAGES->author
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

26 April, 2017 15:12
As far as you can get from a current England international OBT!

HamishMilner
Big Dog (IP Logged)

26 April, 2017 15:41
Could be anyone I reckon.

Of the current EPS Slade may be my best guess? Worcester don't have a 10 and Mills prefers 12 does he not? Slade wants to play 10 week in, week out and was already rumored as leaving due to supposed frustration with Exeter's rotational policy and a drop in form. It'd be unlikely as is best buds with Nowell and Cowan Dickie but could happen still?

gloucesterwatcher
gloucesterwatcher (IP Logged)

26 April, 2017 15:44
He is not current but Brad Barritt would be a good fit for GG with his experience and Worcester's youngsters.

MESSAGES->author
Clarkey3k (IP Logged)

26 April, 2017 16:54
Quote:
woodpecker
Quote:
Optimist

Surgery

He's back in Samoa trying to heal...

Adopted players: 2017 D Denton; [16] H. Agulla; [15] L Houston; [14] W Spencer; [13] F. Louw

Change a life with a loan [www.deki.org.uk]

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

26 April, 2017 17:07
The way things have gone under BC's ownership you really couldn't rule this out.

Chris Cook - Adopted player 2016/17

mfzeus
freddyf (IP Logged)

26 April, 2017 17:25
Don't believe this for a second

MESSAGES->author
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

26 April, 2017 17:44
Quote:
OutsideBath
The way things have gone under BC's ownership you really couldn't rule this out.

No idea what this means. Hasn't BC been rather good for Bath, on balance?

Bathovalballer
Bathovalballer (IP Logged)

26 April, 2017 17:44
Now JJ's departure would be very bad, depressing news indeed. He could easily be the catalyst to build our backline around for a number of years, and could easily be the World class centre Bath have lacked since the retirement of Mr Guscott.

Sincerely hope the rumour is not true.

Bathovalballer

26 April, 2017 17:49
Certainly agree with you Matt, on balance BC has been excellent for Bath IMV. He has had to deal with certain players and coaches who have frankly abused his trust and the backing he has given both financially and from a sense of providing the opportunities point of view.

MESSAGES->author
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

26 April, 2017 17:54
Quote:
Bathovalballer
Now JJ's departure would be very bad, depressing news indeed. He could easily be the catalyst to build our backline around for a number of years, and could easily be the World class centre Bath have lacked since the retirement of Mr Guscott.

Its not even a rumour BoB - the Worcester board someone said that Jim Hamilton said that a current England player could be signing for Worcs. There are 30+ in the EPS? Fake news alert.

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

26 April, 2017 17:55
Quote:
Bathovalballer

+1 but you do wonder how this chap on Shedweb who has a good record of accuracy got his wires so badly crossed

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

26 April, 2017 18:03
Quote:
BathMatt53
Quote:
OutsideBath

No idea what this means. Hasn't BC been rather good for Bath, on balance?

Off the pitch yes with the financial side, but not on it in terms of team success.

john fox
johnnyf (IP Logged)

26 April, 2017 18:08
Is there a conspiracy out there to destabilise Bath by whichever means is available?
Fake news should become a crime!

usa warrior
usa warrior (IP Logged)

26 April, 2017 18:29
Hi guys, really don't think there's anything in this. Teo would be unbelievably expensive to buy out. Rumoured 350k per year with two years left and has stated publically he wasn't going anywhere very recently. Awful PR if we let the clubs first Lion leave or be transferred.

We think the international might be Tom Wood. Suggestions it is "someone we know already". Wait and see. Lots of announcements this week already and more to come.

We don't need backs so Roko is safe as well. Loads of good wings atm.

Finances aren't as awful as books appear. Loads spent on new pitch, buying out amateur club rights to Sixways, and developing training facilities. Planned expenses. Could be lots better though, as ever.

Good luck on your run in.

MESSAGES->author
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

26 April, 2017 18:30
Thanks for clarifying USA Warrior.

annie blackthorn
annie blackthorn (IP Logged)

26 April, 2017 18:51
Well that was fun wasn't it! More 'fake news' to come no doubt! (Sm120)

Matt Garvey - one to add to my List of Forward Talented Adoptees since 2003/4!

Gussieboy
Gussieboy (IP Logged)

26 April, 2017 19:12
Sounds like there isn't any substance in it, but can we avoid the term 'fake news' all staring to sound a bit Donald Trump!!

annie blackthorn

26 April, 2017 22:52
Sorry Sir!(Sm159)

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

26 April, 2017 23:35
"Off the pitch yes with the financial side"

Is this really true? I thought we used to lose the order of (small numbers of) hundreds of thousands, now we lose millions.

I think we have invested in various things, but so far that's not lead to an upturn in success or an improvement in facilities.

I think that's all been good investment, but to call it a success?

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

27 April, 2017 07:52
Quote:
DanWiley
Is this really true? I thought we used to lose the order of (small numbers of) hundreds of thousands, now we lose millions.

I think we have invested in various things, but so far that's not lead to an upturn in success or an improvement in facilities.

Maybe I could have phrased it better, but I believe BC has been generally good for Bath off the pitch. On the pitch he has not been good for us and I personally don't believe we will be successful whilst he is the owner.

Boldngrey
Boldngrey (IP Logged)

27 April, 2017 09:34
The problem is, how do you politely tell the man who is splashing his money about to stay in his box!

MESSAGES->author
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

27 April, 2017 10:18
When the person bankrolling is a Bath fan and wants to club to succeed at least as much as any of us do - you don't.

This forum tells us that we all have differing views on how we think the club could be better - he has paid for the privilege to try and build / improve it the way that he thinks will work best both on and off the field. My opinion is that not one person on this board could do any better (i.e. would have won the premiership title) in the last few years.

HamishMilner
Big Dog (IP Logged)

27 April, 2017 10:51
Frankly I see BC as a blessing. What he has tried to do is attract some of the best coaching staff out there to come and work at one of the best facilities in Northern Hemisphere rugby union (financed by Bruce himself) and the squad has had a lot of investment too since he came in with some excellent young signings reflecting the desire to build the team into a force that can not just win something in a one off season but have continued success over a number of years!

Since BC has been on board we have signed Rokoduguni on a professional contract. He has been an unprecedented success and fan favourite. JJ and Watson were signed and both have become England mainstays. Francois Louw signed and then re-signed. Faletau. Denton. Charteris. Attwood. Fotuali'i. Garvey. All of these have been signed and seem to enjoy playing for the club. Top level professional players who will be the core members of the team you expect to see out on those big occassions in cup quarters/semi's/finals! I suspect the facilities and the city have a lot to do with their decisions to sign too!

We have also signed some of the best young talent out there recently with Zach Mercer being one of the hottest prospects atm. Tom Ellis has performed admirably for us having come through the Academy along with Ewels. Stooke has been excellent too. Plus we have just signed Sam Underhill who is an INCREDIBLY coveted player with a lot of good options open to him.

How can we possibly say much of this has been bad for us even if results on the pitch have not gone our way of yet? The loss of GF is perhaps the only sour note you could ping on BC but frankly I suspect that regardless of whether Bruce had been involved or not, if Mike had been his coach and been sacked George would have moved on elsewhere even if he had been at Sarries and they had just won the double etc etc. I am not sure there is much that could be done about this and I think a majority of people would agree we could not continue with Mike Ford as head coach causing issues within the playing squad.

We have still reached two finals, Challenge cup and Aviva Premiership, a Challenge cup semi and the Quarters of the Champions cup too. If a couple of those results had gone our way we would have suddenly won a few pieces of silverware during his ownership. I am obviously always disappointed when we lose a game but Saracens lost their fair share of big games before becoming the team they are today. I have no doubt we are heading in the right direction even if at times I feel like pulling my hair out watching the BBW out there!!

cb2
cb2 (IP Logged)

27 April, 2017 11:06
But there is little continuity and a feeling that we are under performing. I would like there to be an ex coach above the head coach who is there for the long term. A guy who decides if we are about promoting youth or buying in players. If I remember correctly, Geech was down for that position once but it never really happened. What is SCW doing? Someone between the owner and the head coach.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v248/cb2cb2/rainb03.jpg

Boldngrey
Boldngrey (IP Logged)

27 April, 2017 11:12
Isee Bruce as a huge positive, but there is a suspicion that he might have been too involved during the B******, Faletau, Priestland signings chaos.

Ther is a place for the man with the bank roll and a place for the man assembling the squad.

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

27 April, 2017 11:14
That's exactly what Hooper's role is.

HamishMilner
Big Dog (IP Logged)

27 April, 2017 11:20
Is this not what Todd Blackadder is in his Director of Rugby role. Tabai, Toby and Darren Edwards are the various coaches as such with Tabai head coach I believe.

Tabai and Toby are very highly touted in NZ with Toby expected to one day be the AB coach if he progresses as expected.

I think you can see a pattern of them trying to promote the younger players and this season particularly they have thrown a lot of them in due to injuries. When we have bought in recently a majority of these have been young players with room to grow as opposed to end of their career pro's with Charteris the exception at 34.

Burns is only 26, Faletau 26 also and Underhill 20 of our most recent signings. In 2/3 years they will all be much more experienced and along with JJ/Watson/Ewels/Stooke/Z Mercer/Ellis/Garvey/Roko be in their prime or a vastly more experienced excellent young player still. I do think there is a spot available for a top 9 of around 25-28 years old too though which we could do with looking to recruit still but Burns will be excellent for us as I get the impression he lives for the big occasion and unlike Ford has the temperament to be a bit more cynical and tactical to close out a big game with his kicking game and general organisation on pitch.

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

27 April, 2017 11:24
"What is SCW doing?"

Is that so that we can keep an eye on him, and make blooky sure, whatever it is, he doesn't come anywhere near Bath Rugby? If Bruce is thinking of interviewing him, I'm happy to help form a blockade on the A36 and all routes into Farleigh.

Bath Supporter Jack

27 April, 2017 11:35
Bruce Craig has been and will be in the future excellent for Bath Rugby

It takes time

Please bear in mind it has taken 20 years for Saracens to get to their current very strong position........and of course £55m of losses!

cb2
cb2 (IP Logged)

27 April, 2017 11:43
Blackadder is not that guy. I imagine that not many on here could see him here in 10 years time. If he has success, then he returns to NZ and if he fails, then he gets the boot. Hooper is not the head guy either. He is not above Blackadder in the scheme of things. I am looking at someone for the long term. A Mark Evans or a Conor O'Shea or a Dean Richards type figure. SCW would be great in that position. He'd just need to borrow a helicopter to get round your blockade. I'm sure there is space to land one at Farleigh.

We keep changing coaches and they often bring in their own men and we are back to square one again. We are always talking about "next season".

Substitute
Substitute (IP Logged)

27 April, 2017 11:46
Quote:
Big Dog
...with Toby expected to one day be the AB coach if he progresses as expected.

Toby or not Toby?

(Sorry, Ill get my coat).

MESSAGES->author
hemington (IP Logged)

27 April, 2017 11:52
Quote:
cb2

We are always talking about "next season".

I think you will find every team who doesn't win either the Premiership and/or the Big Cup say the same.

MESSAGES->author
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

27 April, 2017 11:58
Quote:
cb2
Blackadder is not that guy. I imagine that not many on here could see him here in 10 years time. If he has success, then he returns to NZ and if he fails, then he gets the boot. Hooper is not the head guy either. He is not above Blackadder in the scheme of things. I am looking at someone for the long term. A Mark Evans or a Conor O'Shea or a Dean Richards type figure. SCW would be great in that position. He'd just need to borrow a helicopter to get round your blockade. I'm sure there is space to land one at Farleigh.
We keep changing coaches and they often bring in their own men and we are back to square one again. We are always talking about "next season".

Andy Robinson!

robhumperson
Humpo (IP Logged)

27 April, 2017 12:04
The same Andy Robinson that failed at Bristol, in the Championship?

MESSAGES->author
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

27 April, 2017 12:20
Yes, that one. British lion, player of the year, European cup winner with Bath - top of the game as player and coach (with mixed success). Cut him in half and he would look like a BB&W stick of rock.

OK, ok, but better than SCW surely? The point was that if we want someone to stay for a while it would be ideal for that person to be someone who knows the club (and loves it), if possible.

MESSAGES->author
woodpecker (IP Logged)

27 April, 2017 12:28
You cant just come up with names without knowing how the current management structure works and the characteristics of the individuals.

MESSAGES->author
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

27 April, 2017 12:39
I just did! (mainly tongue in cheek admittedly). Isn't that the 'fun' of this forum?

MESSAGES->author
BathSalmon (IP Logged)

27 April, 2017 12:41
Is that not that David Thompson at the club is dealing with?

Extract from the Chronicle, as no job description on the Offy.
"Rugby matters will remain under the management of head coach Mike Ford and performance director David Thompson"

Link

He's been with us since DEC 2012 (so Gary Gold's last season, finishing 7th), so I imagine he works with Todd to come up with the "Grand Plan" for the on field strategy & player recruitment etc?

Since David's appointment we have finished 7th, 5th, 2nd, 9th and 5th*
*current season.

Salmon

Adopted Player 16-17: Dave Attwood
Adopted Player 15-16: Matt Garvey

MESSAGES->author
woodpecker (IP Logged)

27 April, 2017 12:44
Quote:
BathMatt53
I just did! (mainly tongue in cheek admittedly). Isn't that the 'fun' of this forum?

Yes I guess so but it is a higher level of conjecture than the rest of the pontificating we do

cb2
cb2 (IP Logged)

27 April, 2017 12:47
The management structure has not worked for quite a while. That is the problem.

If anyone could be bothered, it would be quite interesting to create a list of Bath coaches since we turned professional. We even had SCW for a while. Coaches will change in the modern game but I feel there is a need for a guy above the coach to look at the bigger picture.

MESSAGES->author
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

27 April, 2017 12:55
Quote:
woodpecker
Quote:
BathMatt53

Yes I guess so but it is a higher level of conjecture than the rest of the pontificating we do

Sir Robert Winston then? Really clever and everyone loves him - legend. Nobody would mess either, his moustache gives him real gravitas.

MESSAGES->author
BathSalmon (IP Logged)

27 April, 2017 12:59
As I have listed the Head Coaches - think Sir Clive was in a higher position and for only 1/2 a season?

96-97 (2nd) Jon Hall
97-98 (3rd) Andy Robinson
98-99 (6th) Andy Robinson
99-00 (2nd) Andy Robinson
00-01 (3rd) Jon Callard
01-02 (11th) Jon Callard
02-03 (11th) Jack Rowell
03-04 (1st) John Connelly
04-05 (4th) John Connelly
05-06 (9th) Brian Ashton
06-07 (8th) Steve Meehan
07-08 (3rd) Steve Meehan
08-09 (4th) Steve Meehan
09-10 (4th) Steve Meehan
10-11 (5th) Sir Ian McGeechan
11-12 (8th) Gary Gold
12-13 (7th) Gary Gold
13-14 (5th) Mike Ford
14-15 (2nd) Mike Ford
15-16 (9th) Mike Ford
16+ (5th) Todd Blackadder*

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

27 April, 2017 13:28
Looking at that we're hardly famous for giving people time historically. I think quite a lot could be gained by sticking with someone for more than a season or two.

MESSAGES->author
BathSalmon (IP Logged)

27 April, 2017 13:41
A few got poached internationally. Andy Robinson to England. Brian Ashton in 06 I think left to go to England.

Not sure if anymore?

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

27 April, 2017 13:52
I think there's probably good reasons for most of them, its more a comment on the fact we have been so changeable over the years is reflected in our inconsistency.

I hope we'll stick with Todd for 2-3 more seasons, almost come what may, and certainly don't kick him out on the back of a single poor season.

MESSAGES->author
woodpecker (IP Logged)

27 April, 2017 13:56
SO since bruce bought Bath in 2010 we've had brought in

11-12 (8th) Gary Gold
14-15 (2nd) Mike Ford

Im not sure Geech was ever a long term appointment, so really its Gold - Ford - Blackadder, given the details it's hardly revolving doors

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

27 April, 2017 13:57
And remember that Ford was already in situ when Gold was moved on.

MESSAGES->author
BathSalmon (IP Logged)

27 April, 2017 14:00
Quote:
DanWiley
I think there's probably good reasons for most of them, its more a comment on the fact we have been so changeable over the years is reflected in our inconsistency.
I hope we'll stick with Todd for 2-3 more seasons, almost come what may, and certainly don't kick him out on the back of a single poor season.

Completely agree.

I imagine if we added the assistant coaches for each year, then there would be even more inconsistency. Change is inevitable while we strive for success.

Cockers stayed at Leicester for so long because they were being successful, 4th was always the minimum.

Same for Blackadder at Crusaders.

Keeping with a coaching group and giving them time to work out what is successful and what isn't I feel is very important. But to caveat that new ideas are always encouraged, and sometimes the only way to source new ideas, is to bring in someone new. Ideally though you want a dynamic group of coaches that challenge each other and are not afraid of being inventive to keep things moving forward.

MESSAGES->author
BathSalmon (IP Logged)

27 April, 2017 14:40
Just a thought, did Connelly leave to go back to Australia for personal reasons, or has old age caught up with me and my mind has gone?

MESSAGES->author
Which Tyler (IP Logged)

27 April, 2017 14:41
Quote:
DanWiley

Wait, what?
I'm pretty sure Farley House counts as an upgrade over Lambridge / Uni / Random field #4.
Capacity has increased by about 40%; with facilities at the ground improving for spectators (remember those weekly threads about the ladies toilet facilities?).
Quality of the pitch itself is a different level altogether from the Brownsword days.

A man who cannot change his mind, cannot change anything
RAEBURN SHIELD

Beno Obano - 2016-17 adoptee
http://www.rugbyrebels.co/board/download/file.php?id=117

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 27/04/2017 14:49 by Which Tyler.

MESSAGES->author
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

27 April, 2017 14:47
All right... all right... but apart from better sanitation and medicine and education and irrigation and public health and roads and a freshwater system and baths and public order... what has Bruce Craig done for us?

HamishMilner
Big Dog (IP Logged)

27 April, 2017 17:26
Quote:
Substitute
Quote:
Big Dog
...with Toby expected to one day be the AB coach if he progresses as expected.

Toby or not Toby?

(Sorry, Ill get my coat).

You got me... TODD! God there's so many T's in the coaching squad. Thank god for Darren Edwards am I right?!

I think the whole idea with Todd and Tabai is that Blackadder is here for a few seasons as Director of Rugby with Tabai his understudy as Head Coach. However, the succession plan is to have Tabai replace Todd one day when he moves back to NZ to take up a role in the ABs setup or perhaps another international rugby coaching job for experience prior to NZ (which reports are it is inevitable he will go to eventually as a well liked and respected NZ super rugby franchise coach).

Mind you when this would happen who knows as Steve Hansen isn't obviously that old and could continue on for a fair bit. Dave Rennie, Joe Schmidt, Vern Cotter, Gatland (LOL slightly kidding here) could all be called on to work in the ABs environment in the upcoming future after the next world cup and arguably any of them may jump at that chance given how patriotic New Zealanders are.

annie blackthorn

27 April, 2017 18:38
BathMatt53 - you seem to be under the illusion that Bruce Craig is or should be running Bath Rugby for our benefit! I don't think we register in the grand scheme of things apart from being an ticket sale/match day profits income stream on a spreadsheet.

MESSAGES->author
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

27 April, 2017 18:44
I don't see how our benefit (wanting Bath to win lots) is any different from Bruce C's benefit (wanting Bath to win lots). So yes, he is running it for the benefit of Bath fans including himself.

I made no suggestion that I thought he owed us a thing (i.e. that he 'should' be running it for us), in fact I think the opposite.

Fans + poorly performing club = rubbish.
Club - fans = rubbish

Its the most beautiful symbiosis <<sniff sniff>>

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

27 April, 2017 21:57
"I'm pretty sure Farley House counts as an upgrade over Lambridge / Uni / Random field #4."

But has our on field performance improved?

"Capacity has increased by about 40%; "
But are we making any more money, or have cheaper tickets, or is it even easier to get tickets?

"with facilities at the ground improving for spectators (remember those weekly threads about the ladies toilet facilities?)."

Maybe, I can't say my trip to the rec had massively improved. I always enjoyed it, perhaps I'm easily pleased.

All I did question the idea that off the field we've been a success. Lots of investment certainly, as yet, success (improvement) limited.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 27/04/2017 22:03 by DanWiley.

MESSAGES->author
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

27 April, 2017 22:24
I think that the rec is thriving tbh. It's great to see. We still need a song though!

Bathovalballer

28 April, 2017 01:08
Matt the Rec maybe 'thriving' but it certainly is NOT good to see the dross being served up at present on the field of play, by our highly paid (see post on Revenue and Income) squad of superstars, good club men, those taking their pensions, hangers on and Academy youngsters. Whatever the combination and the 'stars' have been back for the last 3 weeks, it is not working, (see our league and away results). New toilets and a new bar or two (which are appallingly run), expensive food outlets and inflatedly priced beer cannot make up for the team's performances on the field. Like Dan W, I really enjoyed coming to the ramshackle, poorly appointed loos and sitting in a seat where I could see both the touchlines and corners getting wet in the rain Recreation ground, when we played good attacking winning rugby. An altogether infinitely better experience than the new sanitised commercial ground with inane announcements and even worse music and that b----- trumpet intrusion to the watching of the game. I know you cannot stand still and there is something called progress which we all must confront/accept, but the playing side has gone backwards when you compare our results to the 'those very basic ancient facilities' days of old.

I suspect a rugby man like Bruce maybe having something to say about these playing matters and rightly so as it his fortune that keeps the whole edifice afloat.

DownSouth
DownSouth (IP Logged)

28 April, 2017 07:05
And while the rubbish club of Bath takes yet another repetitive kicking.

MESSAGES->author
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

28 April, 2017 07:19
Oh BoB...none of your clouds have silver linings do they? It seems that just EVERYTHING is disastrous.

I really enjoy my days out at the rec, sure not everything is perfect but you can't live your life focussing on what is wrong all the time?

You could always support a local club side instead - some of their facilities are like they were at Bath in the 'good old days'...bucket to piddle in etc.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

28 April, 2017 07:51
Bob's Perfornmance Table 2017

Exeter
Gloucester
Worcester
Leicester
Bath

gloucesterwatcher
gloucesterwatcher (IP Logged)

28 April, 2017 08:27
BoB I never found the old toilets comfortable and did not discover your position where :

" I really enjoyed coming to the ramshackle, poorly appointed loos and sitting in a seat where I could see both the touchlines and corners getting wet in the rain"

MESSAGES->author
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

28 April, 2017 08:36
That's the 'royal loo' - only Dyson gets to sit on that.

Boldngrey
Boldngrey (IP Logged)

28 April, 2017 08:51
A loo with a view and yoooooo!.

There's your song , Matt.

HamishMilner
Big Dog (IP Logged)

28 April, 2017 10:26
I frankly really enjoy the way the ground is moving forwards!
I don't have to wait 40 minutes to get a beer.
I don't have to queue for 10 minutes for a pee only to be confronted by a stinking, pee stained loo or urinal.
I do enjoy the Swift Half and the atmosphere post-game in there, especially when some of the players head on in there.
I do enjoy a majority of the rugby we play. As a supporter we certainly are on the edge of our seats a lot of the time when we need not be if the team could string together a few more full 80 minute performances but HEY it's sport. Sport is entertainment. ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED? (Even if we would prefer to win every game ever..)

I do find not seeing stuff in the corners annoying at times despite being in the "silver" section but I must say when you go to a small sports ground like the Rec it is what you pay for and the gold seats in the middle of the seating sides will presumably have a better view for this reason. Alternatively I could go in the clubhouse end and stand where you can see the whole pitch!

I also think that our playing performances do not deserve that level of criticism. We are 5th, not 11th and in all my years of having a season ticket (since the '04-'05 season) we have only ever really been competing for the title fully in one of those seasons. We know we can hit 4th/5th though, it is working out how to take that next step!

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

28 April, 2017 22:46
Quote:
woodpecker
SO since bruce bought Bath in 2010 we've had brought in
11-12 (8th) Gary Gold
14-15 (2nd) Mike Ford

Im not sure Geech was ever a long term appointment, so really its Gold - Ford - Blackadder, given the details it's hardly revolving doors

How many coaches have Sarries, Wasps, Exeter had in the same period?

Until BC buys into the concept of consistency of coaching staff we will not achieve anything on the pitch.

MESSAGES->author
Which Tyler (IP Logged)

28 April, 2017 23:22
What makes you think that Bruce doesn't buy into the concept of consistent coaching?

From consistent coaching to be a bonus, you need to get the right coach in the first place.
Beech wasn't even supposed to be a coach, but was supposed to bring in someone to be that. I think Gold was supposed to be that mam, before suffering a mortal back spasm at the hands of Mr Ford, who is far too divisive a character to be that consistent pair of hands.

A man who cannot change his mind, cannot change anything
RAEBURN SHIELD

Beno Obano - 2016-17 adoptee
http://www.rugbyrebels.co/board/download/file.php?id=117

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

29 April, 2017 08:35
He could have kept Gold & if Ford wasn't prepared to work under him asked him to seek another role elsewhere. The only problem was that Gold had resorted to a very dull & unadventurous style of play which didn't appeal to the punters & became fairly ineffective if I remember rightly. You can only have consistency in coaches if you get the right ones in place & they don't get lured away.

DownSouth
DownSouth (IP Logged)

29 April, 2017 09:40
Mallinder 10yrs
O''Shea 6yrs

DownSouth
DownSouth (IP Logged)

29 April, 2017 09:41
McCall 7yrs?

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

29 April, 2017 10:51
But would Bruce have given up on any of those?

MESSAGES->author
BathSalmon (IP Logged)

29 April, 2017 11:01
So for the same period (i.e from 2010 - the start of Bruce Craig era).

Bath:
2010-11 Sir Ian McGeechan
2011-12 Gary Gold
2012-13 Gary Gold
2013-14 Mike Ford
2014-15 Mike Ford
2015-16 Mike Ford
2016-17 Todd Blackadder

Bristol:
2010-11 Paul Hull
2011-12 Liam Middleton
2012-13 Andy Robinson
2013-14 Andy Robinson
2014-15 Andy Robinson
2015-16 Andy Robinson
2016-17 Andy Robinson / Mark Tainton

Exeter:
2010-11 Rob Baxter (started 100BC)
2011-12 Rob Baxter
2012-13 Rob Baxter
2013-14 Rob Baxter
2014-15 Rob Baxter
2015-16 Rob Baxter
2016-17 Rob Baxter

Gloucester:
2010-11 Bryan Redpath
2011-12 Bryan Redpath
2012-13 Nigel Davies
2013-14 Nigel Davies
2014-15 David Humphreys
2015-16 David Humphreys
2016-17 David Humphreys

Harlequins
2010-11 Conor O'Shea (started 2010-11)
2011-12 Conor O'Shea
2012-13 Conor O'Shea
2013-14 Conor O'Shea
2014-15 Conor O'Shea
2015-16 Conor O'Shea
2016-17 John Kingston

Leicester:
2010-11 Richard Cockrill (started 2009-10)
2011-12 Richard Cockrill
2012-13 Richard Cockrill
2013-14 Richard Cockrill
2014-15 Richard Cockrill
2015-16 Richard Cockrill
2016-17 Richard Cockerill / Aaron Mauger / Matt O'Connor

Newcastle:
2010-11 Alan Tait
2011-12 Gary Gold
2012-13 Dean Richards
2013-14 Dean Richards
2014-15 Dean Richards
2015-16 Dean Richards
2016-17 Dean Richards

Northampton:
2010-11 Jim Mallinder (started 2007-08)
2011-12 Jim Mallinder
2012-13 Jim Mallinder
2013-14 Jim Mallinder
2014-15 Jim Mallinder
2015-16 Jim Mallinder
2016-17 Jim Mallinder

Sale:
2010-11 Pete Anglesea
2011-12 Tony Hanks
2012-13 Steve Diamond
2013-14 Steve Diamond
2014-15 Steve Diamond
2015-16 Steve Diamond
2016-17 Steve Diamond

Saracens:
2010-11 Brendan Venter
2011-12 Brendan Venter
2012-13 Brendan Venter
2013-14 Mark McCall
2014-15 Mark McCall
2015-16 Mark McCall
2016-17 Mark McCall

Wasps:
2010-11 Tony Hanks
2011-12 Dai Young
2012-13 Dai Young
2013-14 Dai Young
2014-15 Dai Young
2015-16 Dai Young
2016-17 Dai Young

Worcester:
2010-11 Richard Hill
2011-12 Richard Hill
2012-13 Richard Hill
2013-14 Dean Ryan
2014-15 Dean Ryan
2015-16 Dean Ryan
2016-17 Carl Hogg / Gary Gold

MESSAGES->author
Toast and Marmite (IP Logged)

29 April, 2017 20:41
I'm not sure what point is being made here?

Should Ford have been given more time?

Should Ashton and Robinson been prevented from going to England?

Whilst the manner of his leaving is probably the most controversial, I don't think Gold was producing scintillating rugby.

What would have been gained by giving these coaches more time exactly?

"No sprinkles. For every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you."

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

29 April, 2017 23:39
Seems to me Baths coaches left the club for reasons other than style of rugby or results. What it says to me is that3-4 seasons is usually when stabiliy and performance kicks in.

Any dissent with Todd Blackadder's first season is clearly ridiculous.

gaz59
gaz59 (IP Logged)

30 April, 2017 18:35
Well Clark and Fruen today have put down a serious challenge for a starting shirt - hopefully this will see JJ respond with an even better performance

P G Tips
P G Tips (IP Logged)

01 May, 2017 17:18
Times implying today that JJ was rested to save him injury- Blackadder stating he has been "pretty banged up" and not fully fit.

PG

MESSAGES->author
callmeMrTibbs (IP Logged)

06 May, 2017 07:02
The Guardian mention JJ's omission with a comment that 'all is not sweetness and light at the Rec'. Anyone know what they're hinting at?

BathPatriot
BathPatriot (IP Logged)

06 May, 2017 12:50
He's off.

BathBurger
BathBurger (IP Logged)

06 May, 2017 13:01
Quote:
BathPatriot
He's off.

Sources?

P G Tips
P G Tips (IP Logged)

06 May, 2017 13:16
If true, this would be a major blow.

BathPatriot, can you verify this in any way -or is it rumour?

PG

MESSAGES->author
BathSalmon (IP Logged)

06 May, 2017 13:43
If you take away all the noise of changing coaches, George Ford saga etc and just look at JJ. He's not been particularly effective for us for a long while. He's not scoring tries and is heavily marked every game. Maybe his not enjoying his rugby and wants a change?

In the season we made it to the final he score 10 tries or so, in the last two season only 2-3. Perhaps the close Lions selection made him reassess matters?

Despite all of this I still think he's good value for his place in the team. His defensive work and distribution has been top class. I rate him highly and would like him to stay. Give Todd time to bed in the new game plan and give time for JJ and players to come accustomed to it and I think we'll start to see the best in JJ again.

So my advice to JJ, stick don't twist.

Salmon

B4thB4ck
B4thB4ck (IP Logged)

06 May, 2017 14:20
JJ leaving would bother me more than Ford, possibly because I can't think of a reason for it.

Hopefully all just rumour and gossip.

Perhaps Irish? Sorry, just added to the gossip.

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

06 May, 2017 15:16
Quote:
BathBurger
Quote:
BathPatriot
He's off.

Sources?

You've stirred up a lot of concern BP. Please elaborate.

Rolfs_Cartoon_Club
@Hydor18 (IP Logged)

06 May, 2017 17:47
If JJ is leaving, it makes no sense us allowing Fruean to go as well.

Summit just ain't right here.

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

06 May, 2017 20:26
This is all nonsense. From the Telegraph:

Quote:
Joseph has not played since Bath’s defeat in the European Challenge Cup but the Bath head coach insisted he would be fit and that the centre, like fellow tourist Anthony Watson, was overcoming niggles and had a good month to get fully fit.

sid the seagull
sid the seagull (IP Logged)

06 May, 2017 23:39
To put a positive spin on't - if you were in your prime, fullEngerland first choice etc but you also knew there was good cover (Clark and others) and thus you would not be forced to play week in week out carrying a niggle then that would be a nice place to be.
Yeah ok Rat please.

HOP

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net

Bath Poll

Where do you think we'll finish this season?

See results > Submit >>